Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Vegan Paris

Default Re: Vegan Paris

I've been to Paris last summer and I've visited a couple of great restaurants. Loving Hut in boulevard Beaumarchais was amazing. It's a little pricey there (although not more expensive than in regular restaurants I guess.). It's vegan restaurant, they have vegan quiche, which was very interesting and a few vegan cakes. They also have a little shop where you can buy vegan cheeses and even croissants! You can read more about it here: http://vg-zone.net/2009/07/18/loving-hut/ and see some pictures of the food. Oh, if you can't read in French, use google translator.
    It was very rainy in August and I went to hide from the rain to Le Potager du Marais. It's an organic vegetarian restaurant. It's also pricey, but it's in Marais. I had a carrot soup and a cup of vegan hot chocolate. It was very tasty. They also give you some bread and a bottle of water.. In my opinion it's worth a try. http://vg-zone.net/2007/08/01/le-potager-du-marais/

If you want to save some money the best idea is to eat falafels in Paris. They don't cost more than 5 pounds and the portions are really really big. There is a vegetarian falafel cafe, Maoz Vegetarian. They have a salad bar, so you can choose all vegetabes you want. Pictures and adresses: http://vg-zone.net/2007/08/01/maoz/.
    I really recommend to look through that VG-Zone website, because it's the best guide for vegan Paris with restaurants and shops, created by native Parisians. Have a look and have a nice time in the city of lights!

Default Vegetarian passport in paris??

i seem to remember that there exists some sort of veggie passport for travellers which gives helpful phrases about what veggies eat, don't eat etc along with a dictionary of helpful words for restaurant staff.

does anyone know what i am talking about? my veggie daughter is going to paris next april and wants to be prepared - she is also nut-allergenic so needs to be able to express this.

thanks for any help guys!

Default Re: Vegetarian passport in paris??

here: http://shop.vegansociety.com/product...roducts_id=231

nevertheless, last time I was in Paris this did not help, they ignored me and told me to go away in one place and did not even bother to read it in another....

I recommend she goes to happycow.net as there are lots of veggie friendly places in Paris.

thanks manzana. unfortunately, it's a school trip and the restaurants will all be pre-booked so she will have to make the best of where she has to go.

i'll check it out anyway, thanks again

Personally I wouldn't try the vegan passport in Paris, they tend to be uncooperative enough anyway and it has stuff about ethics at the beginning of each page which I think would probably make them worse (I am allowed to say these French-ist things because I am half-French myself )

The best bet might be to make a list of things that are likely to be on offer like des crudites sans oeufs, une salade de tomates, des pommes frites (although I'm not sure what they would be cooked in), des haricots verts sans beurre, des fruits - sorry Fr a bit rusty despite genes but someone else can probably do better. I reckon asking for those would be easier than trying to explain about being vegetarian or vegan.

Actually though if she's vegetarian rather than vegan it shouldn't be too bad. There are a few websites with vocabulary and advice she could look at before she goes. She's got plenty of time to mug up!

Default Vegan Bed and Breakast in Paris

Hey..

I have been a bit of a lurker for a looong time but I was wondering if theres anyone can help. My husband and I are hoping to go to Paris later this year and want to stay in a B and B. I am vegan and my hb is vegetarian so to stay in a vegan B and B would be ideal. Can anyone recommend one to stay in?
    I found one earlier in the year which looked great but now I am researching it, I cannot remember what it was called. I have tried googling it in the hope that seeing the name will jog my memory but nothing came up.

Thanks
    emily

Default Re: Vegan B and B in Paris

Hi, I believe there used to be one called Gentle Gourmet but I think the owners may have closed the b&b when they opened the restaurant with the same name - not sure though, if that's the one you were looking at you could email them via the restaurant?

My friend worked at one last Summer - I'm just waiting for her to reply to a text with the name.

Oh, it was Gentle Gourmet as well.

Oh :/ Well, supposing the B&B has closed, and there isn't another, one option for Emily might be to stay near the Gentle Gourmet restaurant/cafe (http://www.gentlegourmetcafe.com/ ) - I believe they do breakfast most days, and there are some other vegetarian restaurants near there.

I really wanted to go to the GG when we were in Paris recently but we ran out of time

The reference for veganism on Paris restaurants with lists and appreciation, income etc, hes work with gentle gourmet :
    http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&...SCIehylSNQ3EOQ

http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&...3uDbqnNIPo_Gpw

friendly fri

We went to le saveurs vegethalles in September and it is real good, try anything to do with tofu and you will I hope, love it. Rather overpriced, and they serve fries rather than real chips, and they use the cheap and sweetish burger baps, probably from a local supermarket, yet otherwise the place is really good.
    :D :)

The all vegan Gentle Gourmet was fabulous but I'm afraid I can't recall what all the dishes were.

Starters

Deep fried vegusto cheese balls - delicious and so gooey!

Mains

Seitan bourguignon in half a pumpkin

Desserts

Speculoos ice cream
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

The Gentle Gourmet do great pastries too including mille feuille and an amazing lemon tart. (Once I tasted a bite of my dinner companion's tart I had to get one to take away!)

Le Potager Du Marais is entirely vegan now too. It is much smaller than when I was last there (it occupies one shop now instead of two).

Quiche starter

Stuffed aubergine main

East Side Burgers is also worth a visit - this is the oriental burger. They also had vegan quiche and cookies.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Mmm! Too bad I no longer have any relations in Paris, but I expect I can still find a reason to go