Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wheat, gluten & celiac disease

Default Wheat, gluten & celiac disease

does anyone here have celiac disease (being allergic to or having bad reactions to wheat, rye, barely, oats, flour and gluten) and are vegan? i have it and it limits what i can eat very much, so i was wondering if anyone else had this.

I donīt have the disease, but there are cookbooks out there who cater to people with the disease. You can download 2 free cookbooks at www.vitalita.com. I have made some recipes from them and I liked them very much.

good luck,
    globesetter

funkyvixen

Default Wheat (or gluten) free vegans

Heylo

Starting a new thread so as not to make the "what I ate today" one go off topic.

If anyone is vegan and avoids wheat/gluten - ever found any meat-substitute things that don't contain wheat? I mean like ready-made frozen sausages or burgers or mince, not plain tofu. Something thats quick & easy to bung in the oven - I dislike fake meat really, just a matter of taste, but sometimes you just want an easy junk dinner, and since giving up on wheat I haven't really had that.

fv x

i like to make my own and freeze them, so that i have veggie burgers ready made and u can just use them. here are sum recipes for vegan burgers:

http://vegweb.com/food/subs/index-subs-burgers.shtml

funkyvixen

Wow masses of good recipes there, thankyou. I've had cracks at making my own burgers before, but never had much success at freezing them for later dates, they always fall apart. Only really successful if I fry them and eat them straight away.

I actually bothered to do some proper research (beyond asking health food store assistants etc, who weren't helpful) and I found the following http://www.beany.co.uk/ if you're interested, they do "soysausages" which are gluten-free and something called "beanys" which I think are burgers, in many different varieties, its a bit confusing though. They seem to do mail order in the UK though.

fv x

Lol I just answered my own question!

Quote funkyvixen
    Heylo

Starting a new thread so as not to make the "what I ate today" one go off topic.

If anyone is vegan and avoids wheat/gluten - ever found any meat-substitute things that don't contain wheat? I mean like ready-made frozen sausages or burgers or mince, not plain tofu. Something thats quick & easy to bung in the oven - I dislike fake meat really, just a matter of taste, but sometimes you just want an easy junk dinner, and since giving up on wheat I haven't really had that.

fv x
    fv x,

I'm glad that you were able to answer your own question. Anyone out there have the answer for this that lives in the US? I'm looking for the same thing.

Newcook

dixi diner makes gluten free TVP.

Default Wheat

i've recently been having some stomach problems, and think it might be because i've been having a lot of wheat recently (bread baking frenzy ). i've heard it makes you bloated, and a lot of people seem to have sensativities to it. so i'm thinking of taking a lot of it out of my diet. however, now i'm not really sure what to eat for breakfast. i usually have toast or cereal, both of which have wheat in them. any suggestions?
    Last edited by Korn; Oct 24th, 2004 at 12:09 PM. Reason: This was the first post in another thread on the same subject

i have muesli with oats, nuts, seeds and fruit. it's delicious

i think i may be sensitive to wheat too. i've tried gluten free bread but it was horrible, and so expensive!

er... this is probably a stupid question, but are oats from the same plant as wheat?

ConsciousCuisine

That is not stupid at all! No, they are not from the same plant, but GLUTEN intolerence is usually the issue, not just wheat specifically. Gluten is found in most commonly-used grains and grain products, and is found in many other foods as an additive.

Red face Wheat free is easy

Hi!

I went off wheat about 3 months ago, I notice the new light feeling and I know it when I do accidently eat wheat again because I bloat and get stomach cramps.
    I do, however, still eat Gluten (a protein of the heavier starches) in the form of oats, rye and spelt/sourdough or buckwheat.
    Gluten free grains include rice, maize, corn and millet.

Country life makes a series of organic rye, spelt and performance grain breads in full sized loaves and you can pick em up for about $4.00AUS.
    These are free from the harsh baker's yeast and wheat flours.
    In terms of cereal, Freedom Foods make some great rice ones and if you pop along to any health food store you will be amazed at what they have....try Amaranth grains(pure magic, I swear by them!), Quinou and the plenty of boxed cereals they have or can order in for you.
    You can buy the special flours needed to bake wheat free bread, as I am an avid bread maker as well!

Wheat is another staple food that we have been brought up to believe is beneficial and essential to our diet, just like the cursed dairy.
    However, studies have shown that those brought up on a wheat based diet have weaker immunities, and are more susceptible to illness than those who have a diet high in wheat-free fibres, such and rice, maize, millet and corn.
    It is also found, that, while consuming wheat a person's ability to efficiently digest food and its vitamins and minerals and many nutrients is considerably less than those who avoid wheat.

Technically, why this actually happens is because wheat is composed of heavy strands of almost unbreakable proteins (which is why the wheat based breads are soft, fluffy anf levened) and these strands attack our soft cilcilli hairs that line our digestion tract.
    Over time, these soft wavey hairs (which absorb much of the nutrients in food) become hard and brittle and relatively shorter.

I avoid wheat for these reasons and more. I am better off without it and we don't need wheat at all to be healthy.
    Please be aware that people who avoid wheat still need to lead healthy, Vegan diets to benefit from this.

One book that explains all of this and much, much more is called "The Road to Better Health," by Walter Last.
    The guy who changed my whole perspective on food and the body and a lot of other issues.
    Cheerio!!

brekkie suggestion:
    flavoured soy yog (i like provalmel summer fruits) with chopped fruit salad. sometimes sprinkled with ground flaxseed for the old omegas.
    you can buy wheat/gluten free porridge (oatmeal) to make up.
    grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, veg bacon, baked beans.
    smoothies.
    rice cakes with jam, marmelade, marmite, pb on.

I don't eat grains except for the occasional bad treat, and every time I have a reaction, it's just that I like falafel in pitas too much. The reason grains can cause so many issues are pretty obvious. Humans evolved to eat succulent veggies, root, fruits, and nuts. It just so happens that of those foods, very few are acidic, and humans have the exact digestive makeup to turn them alkaline quickly. Most grains on the other hand are not easily alkalized, and cause a blood pH issue (too acidic). This leads to all sorts of issues, one of the biggest being inflammation of any cells in contact with blood (almost half the cells in your body). All the processing to make grains lowers the toxic content (grain toxins are hard to metabolize because we simply didn't evolve to do it) still do not accomplish much. Having all this stuff in your blood and suffering from a pH problem, and causing swelling in the brain can lead to some pretty awful headaches, IBS, dehydration, immune system disorders (also caused by the gluten in many grains) and overall crappyness. All that for a lot of carbs and little nutrients...

If you want to do yourself a favor, cut grains of any sort except rice (rice is fairly unique). Also some people confuse buckwheat and quinoa with grains, they're seeds and don't cause the issues most grains do. They are also vastly superior to grains as far as nutrition is concerned.

Lastly, what do you like in the morning? I certainly have no craving for cereals after eating fruit in the morning. Make yourself a big fat banana, date, coconut, and raisin (or goji berries, or both), and almond butter smoothie. Not only does it taste like heaven, it's damn good for you.

Oh, also do some research on how you feel. Grains and processed sugar are food for an internal fungus infection called Candida albicans. You feel bloating after eating foods known to feed it, so I'm just suggesting it as a possibility. It is not an uncommon issue, just mostly ignored by wesern medicine..

i have celiac disease and cant have anything with gluten.

there are several types of breads to choose from, it depends on your personal preferance, but they are expensive.

oats do contain gluten so i dont think porridge would make u feel that great (ofcourse it really depends on your tolerance)

there are cereals without gluten. (i buy a brand that gives part of their profits to animals ) and i just use rice toast. (if u use alot of vegan butter, its not dry and therefor not gross!)

im so used to not eating gluten that i dont even notice it anymore! it does make u feel better tho, u should give it a try

The Gluten-Free Vegan Diet: Easier than it Sounds, by Laura Bruno. Click ME.

thank u so much for that link
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I don't know anything about food alergies or whatever but cornmeal muffins (maize for you Brits) make a nice breakfast. Maybe put jam or vegan margarine on them.

Smile

I am not sensitive to wheat either, but I love buckwheat bread, spelt bread and kamut bread. Whole grain pumpernickel is yum too...mmm with hummus. If gluten is a problem, you will have to avoid everything I said, except for the buckwheat bread! I also like rice porridge.

buckwheat also contains gluten

Red face

Really? Coz the buckwheat bread I sometimes buy is advertised as gluten free. It is especially for celiacs.

I just checked on the Australian Gastroentorology Website and it states buckwheat as an allowed food for a gluten free diet. You can check this out at http://www.nevdgp.org.au/geninf/gast..._inf/cd_06.htm

oh wow thats odd because an article i recently read stated that buckwheat did infact contain gluten. im a little confused. altho my instinct is cautioning me away from anything with the word wheat in it!

where heres a link about buckwheat, and then another link about forbidden and safe celiac foods. just incase anyones interested

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=10

http://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p...19104099952.be

Default What's Gluten?

Hi everyone. I recently turned vegan and I was wondering, what in the world is the fuss about gluten? What is it? I know some products (vegan meat products) that are made of mostly wheat gluten. What is it? Thanks!

ConsciousCuisine

Protein from grains, usually wheat, but gluten is found in most grains. Some people have a "gluten intolerance" and can't eat wheat, rye, and other gluten containing foods. It is found in neaarly every processed food unless it is a specialty food.

Default Wheat

I can't have wheat. This limit's what I can eat.

Now, at first, I thought Vegan's didn't eat wheat, and I thought wonderful! Now, I'm figuring out that they do, so I'm limited even more!

So, right now, we are eating pretty much fruit and nuts until we figure out what to do. My nine year old daughter and I are doing this together. She is the most supportive little being on this earth!
    Last edited by Korn; Oct 24th, 2004 at 12:10 PM. Reason: This was the first post in another thread on the same subject

PinkFluffyCloud

You can still eat vegetables, sprouts, mushrooms and pulses can't you?

Quote blue
    There are a lot of options available for you in replacing wheat based products but it would help if you were able to say it it is gluten and therefore coeliacs disease, or it is the actual wheat that you can't eat.

If it is gluten then be careful of a lot of the fake meats that are around as they often are made from wheat gluten.

The following recipe is a version of something we made in home economics I changed into a vegan dish.

Slice two medium onions and saute gently in olive oil with three sliced medium potatoes in a deep frypan until the potato starts looking a little transparent.
    Mix a good 1 1/2 cups of medium to fine polenta in a bowl with about two cups of soymilk, stock powder(check for wheat filler), some sage, rosemary and thyme - (fresh or dry but chopped) and pour over the simmering potatoes and onions over a low heat. Place thin slices of tomato on the surface of the polenta which should just cover the potatoes and lid the frypan for about ten minutes in which time the polenta sets. Pop the whole frypan under the griller to toast the top.
    Slice and serve with fresh salad and your favorite sauce - I like homemade plum or tomato.

Alternatively you can put the cooked potatoes and onions into a suitable bakingdish and pour the polenta over that. Looks a bit like vegan quiche'. Just bake in the oven on medium till the top starts looking a bit toasty and the polenta has set.

Consider asian cooking; they do wonderful things with rice as a grain and as a noodle or pastry - cold rolls are always delightful.

Try coeliac web sites - there are a great many - you will find a host of recipes and in a lot of cases, wheat can be replaced. Best wishes to you - if you get stuck let me know.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Quote blue
    Hi, I can eat, but (most of the time) I don't. It's not that difficult to avoid wheat... As ususal, it's only a question of challenging your habits. To train oneself to avoid one's own habits and patterns in itself is more useful than eating wheat, so, somehow you're more lucky than those who can eat wheat!
    Good luck...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

It is relatively easy these days to get by wheat free. Visit your healthfood shop and they will have a range of wheat-alternative breads (like rye or brown rice for example).

You can also get spelt and kamut, which most wheat-intolerant people can tolerate (but they have gluten). You can get breads, pastas, noodles etc... made from these.

You can base your main meals on things like brown rice, quinoa, corn, barley, buckwheat and serve them with veggie stir-fries, curries and dhals, legume/veggie casseroles, tofu, tempeh, nuts and seeds.

There is heaps to eat. You just need to know where to look

Quote Korn
    Hi, I can eat, but (most of the time) I don't. It's not that difficult to avoid wheat....
    Can I ask why?
    -JK
    (I guess I just did! )

Several years ago, I went to a nutritionist/chiropractor/Kinisiologist, she did some muscle testing and decided I was allergic to Dairy and Wheat. ( I avoid wheat and Gluten) When I eliminate Dairy and Wheat from my diet I feel so much better. When I eat wheat I have mucho headaches, not to mention many other symtoms. I've never investigated the celiacs disease. I have read up on it. Getting rid of the dairy relieved me of many intestinal symptoms. I love spelt pizza dough, but not the bread, yucky. I just don't like the fact that it had to be frozen. ( By the way, this lady who gave me the advise is fantastic! I've used her for years. I trust her. )

I guess I'm going to have to stick to mainly vegetable dishes that don't include any type of bread or pasta!

Veganblue, your recipe sounds fantastic! I'm stuck at work right now without anything to eat! While I was reading it, I was just drooling!

You guys just won't believe, I've always been such a big meat eater. I've literally become repulsed by meat. I can't even stand the smell of it cooking!

I've been on the internet looking at slaughter houses and things, and I think this has gone beyond just a health issue now.

There's a whole section of wheat free pastas and cereals at my grocery store. Plus there are asian rice-based noodles out there. Just curious, why can't your daughter eat wheat even if you're allergic to it? Surely "nuts and fruits" aren't enough for a growing nine year old.

Allow me to suggest some cookbooks:

Table for Two by Joanne Stepaniack
    Vegan Meals for One or Two by Nancy Berkoff
    Vegan Cooking for One by Leah Leneman

So you and the little one can sit down to fun, nutritious meals.

I've heard that Jo Stepaniak's "The Uncheese Cookbook" and "Vegan Vittles" are meant to be great for new converts - all the stuff you used to love, but veganised.
    However, I don't know how many wheat-based recipes either of these contains.
    No Gods, No Masters.

Oh, and see if they have them at your local library, first. For the first several months of being veg*n, I only used recipe books from the library.
    No Gods, No Masters.

My daughter can eat wheat. She just had pasta and marinara sauce w/no meat!

She was allergic to Dairy before though. My son was allergic to wheat. He eats it all the time.

Smile Corn flour/corn flakes

Quote blue

Now, at first, I thought Vegan's didn't eat wheat, and I thought wonderful! Now, I'm figuring out that they do, so I'm limited even more!

So, right now, we are eating pretty much fruit and nuts until we figure out what to do. My nine year old daughter and I are doing this together. She is the most supportive little being on this earth!
    You can use corn flour.

Make dough of corn flour and then make flat rolls of this dough, bake it in oven till it is baked , you enjoy with lentil soup or veggie soup. yummy

Thank you so much for all the ideas guys!

Quote JasperKat
    Can I ask why?
    -JK
    (I guess I just did! )
    Yes, you did.

Wheat feels like dessert to me, sort of, which is OK when I feel like having a dessert, but wheat for breakfast and lunch just feels wrong in most cases.... It's just makes me want to have a break...

Maybe so many people have reactions against wheat because a lot of us have been over-exposed to wheat when we were kids?

PinkFluffyCloud

Do you know if a high craving for wheat (particularly 'fake meat' made from almost pure wheat!) is really a symptom of intolerance????
    Eating wheat based foods often makes me feel a bit bloated and sluggish, too.

Some people would say craving for fake meat is either psychological or lack of protein. Some might suggest that craving for wheat could be related to Candida...

PinkFluffyCloud

Thanks, Korn.
    I don't think it's psychological as I only crave certain, wheat-based ones!!!!!!!!!!!
    Could be either of the other two - I crave sugar really overwhelmingly, too, so maybe it is Candida!!!!!!!!!! I'll check it out!

Quote mysh
    I've heard that Jo Stepaniak's "The Uncheese Cookbook" and "Vegan Vittles" are meant to be great for new converts - all the stuff you used to love, but veganised.
    However, I don't know how many wheat-based recipes either of these contains.
    I've got the new ' Uncheese Cookbook' . The 10th anniversary edition is called the 'Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook, and one of the additions to this edition is a listing of all the gluten free recipes it contains. She has also changed most recipes to state '1/3 C of any flour you choose', so I use rice flour, or amaranth, or whatever I choose.

Definitely try the library first, becaue some of the cookbooks I tried I only got one recipe out of that I liked. The cheese cookbook was a keeper, so I bought it!

Just to encourage you, blue, it'll get easier as you go along. If you can find a few staple meals that you like for right now, rotate them around and then keep looking. Soon you'll have more variety to eat than you used to!

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to do everything I can to go wheat and gluten free also. If I run across wheat, in something I'm not going to stress. I've lived my life on wheat before I knew.

I just feel better when I'm not eating it. A little bit here and there doesn't really affect me. If I eat it more than that, it's a problem.

I really appreciate all of your contributions!

PinkFluffyCloud

I am trying to cut down on wheat, so, instead of using Pasta (and btw I hate the non-wheat Pasta!), I use white cabbage, cut into strips and lightly cooked in boiling water, it's very nice with soya mince or Mushrooms.

I love the white cabbage, I'll give it a try!

PinkFluffyCloud

Lightbulb Wheat allergy??

I am beginning to suspect that I have a Wheat allergy.
    I have noticed that I crave high-wheat foods, and that after eating them (like now), my stomach swells up and feels hard and painful.
    Also my stomach rumbles as though I was hungry, even though I have just eaten, and I feel sleepy (I ate 1 hour ago and I want my bed now!!).
    I have researched this on the internet, but every site gives out differing symptoms/advice.
    I really need some help from someone with experience of these symptoms - can anyone help??

I don't know but that sounds awful! Has it happened all of a sudden or has it been happenening for a while? You poor thing

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    I am beginning to suspect that I have a Wheat allergy.
    I have noticed that I crave high-wheat foods, and that after eating them (like now), my stomach swells up and feels hard and painful.
    Also my stomach rumbles as though I was hungry, even though I have just eaten, and I feel sleepy (I ate 1 hour ago and I want my bed now!!).
    I have researched this on the internet, but every site gives out differing symptoms/advice.
    I really need some help from someone with experience of these symptoms - can anyone help??
    That's pretty much how I felt, plus my stomache ached when I had large amounts. I stopped eating wheat and I feel much better, so it probably would be a good idea to cut it.
    If you want to be sure, maybe you could not eat wheat (maybe also all grains) for a few days or a week, then eat it and see how you feel.