Thread: Powdered soya milk in the UK?

Default Powdered soya milk in the UK?

Does anyone know where I can get powdered soya milk in the UK? I've tried H and B and some health food shops but I can't find it anywhere. I know it exists, I've heard of a brand called Eco Mil but no one seems to stock it. It would be great to be able to take powdered milk with me when I go out, so that I can have tea in restaurants or at other people's houses.

Default Re: Powdered soya milk in the UK?

VeganStore sell it. http://www.veganstore.co.uk/eco_mil_soy_milk.html
    I've seen it in the Health House chain of health food shops (the one in Chatham specifically)

Never tried it. I sometimes take herbal/fruit teabags if I'm not in the mood for black tea/coffee.

Thanks Pob. I've not seen that chain anywhere near me but it's good to know I can get the milk from Veganstore. I have no idea what it will be like!

I often take herbal teabags with me too but I usually drink normal tea and I don't like it without milk, so the powdered stuff would be useful.

Quote girasol View Post
    ....I have no idea what it will be like!
    It's OK for an emergency, but I found it too powdery even when mixed up with water before hand and added to a cuppa after. I found it to have a dry taste in tea.

Slightly OT: Does anyone know if you can still get those little pots of soya milk? I recall seeing them years back for caterers. They'd be great for taking on flights now that we can't take our own soya milk due to security restrictions.

do you have to make up the dried soy milk with water? can't you just add a spoonful to a cuppa like regular dried milk?....not that convenient then..

cobweb

It is disgusting . Doesn't work for me in any way, shape, or form. I find it far better to take herbal teabags round with me! .

I've used powdered soya milk in cooking as a few recipes call for it, I wouldn't use it as actual soya milk tho. I got mine from veganstore.

this sounds a bit mean and strange but if anyone in the uk could spare an ounce or two to send me wrapped in some cling film or something, just to try, i'd be pleased to send them a little something in return?

Quote vegcurry View Post
    Slightly OT: Does anyone know if you can still get those little pots of soya milk? I recall seeing them years back for caterers. They'd be great for taking on flights now that we can't take our own soya milk due to security restrictions.
    sorry vegcurry but the company who made them stopped a few years ago due to lack of demand.

i haven't tried Ecomil, the powdered coffee creamer from Veganstore is ok in coffee but i never tried it in tea or anything else. i ran out a while ago and haven't bothered ordering any more because i don't really use Veganstore these days.

btw cedar if anyone does do that for you, i don't know what the restrictions are like at the moment but the postal service weren't too keen on people sending powder through the post after the whole anthrax scare thing

heh heh you may be right - how do they know whats inside though?

it may look like drugs also...

Okay, this may sound like a bit of a weird idea, but...

Someone on another board who is pregnant and living in the USA wanted a vegan baby formula on standby in case they had any complications which meant they had to go into intensive care and couldn't immediately breastfeed. I was going to send them 2 tubs of Farleys soya formula but the weight restrictions meant I couldn't send them in the same package, and they seemed happy enough just getting one (each tub is meant to feed a newborn for about 11 days, so that would probably be enough time to find a wetnurse or whatever if necessary... anyway...)

So, long story short I had a spare tub of soya powdered baby formula which I tried to take back to Boots but they apparently won't give refunds on food items, so I was stuck with forumla. So, I've just made some of it up and have it in a cup of coffee. It has curdled a little bit but overall isn't too bad.

So there you have it - if you don't mind giving your custom to Boots they should either stock the formula or be able to get it in and it seems to act adequately as a creamer in coffee. If you want me to experiment with it in tea as well I can do so, think it might be a bit too creamy though.

twinkle - experiment away with the tea if you don't mind!! .....

Okay. I have never had tea with milk in, so I don't know what it's meant to taste like, but it seems drinkable with a splash of the formula in (I had made it up according to the instructions, to try in the coffee and had some leftover). I've probably got the equivalent to a heaped teaspoon of powder in my cup of Co-op breakfast tea, it is curdling a bit but if stirred it redistributes to look like normal tea with milk in.

ETA: I was a bit worried it would taste awful because it's got loads of added vitamins, and particularly worried it would taste iron-y, but either my tastebuds are crap or this is one of the more acceptable tasting baby formulas (if you go in search of baby formula taste tests on the internet most of the brands sound foul for adults. Fair enough, I suppose, since they're not meant for us!).

That's an interesting idea, Twinkle! Reading people's comments on here, the Eco Mil powder doesn't sound great, so maybe this would be worth trying! Do you have to make it up with water, or can you just put a spoonful of the formula in your tea?

I've just tried three different methods:

1) make a cup of tea with a bag and boiling water. Add a dash of cold water. Add the teaspoon of formula powder. (reasoning = instructions say "hand hot" not boiling water to make the baby food up). Result - grainy and unappetising looking tea. I didn't taste it because it looked horrid.

2) put teabag and formula powder in. Add hot water. Result - pretty much the same as before.

3) put teaspoon of formula powder in and top up with hot water about 2/3 up. stir. add teabag. add dash of cold water. Result - still a bit grainy looking (not tasting) but much better especially when stirred a few times. Tastes alright.

I still think the best result, looks wise, is going to be by making it up as per instructions and giving it a good shake though I realise this negates much of the convenience you're after.

powdered soya milk iv bought here on the isle of wight in UK is called EcoMil soya. it is just over £6 for a 400g tub. i use it in my bread maker. dont know what its like in tea but looks just like normal powdered milk...only cost lots more....lol. i bought it in an allergy shop we have here on the island! just did a google search and u can get it online from goodness direct and orders over £35 are free delivery xx

I've tried Eco Mil and its nice in rooibos tea but makes it taste totally different, rather creamy. I don't know about normal tea and coffee as I don't drink them. Although it says to mix with water I put it straight in the cup with the tea and it was fine. I'll be buying another tin soon. Cedarblue I'll let you know when I do. I'll send you some if no one else already has.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well