Thread: Brain function/cognition?

Default Brain function/cognition?

Hello! I am new to this forum, thought I'd post about a few wee concerns I have.

I have been vegan for a few months now, completely cut out meat and milk back in December and all animal products in about February. I cut out animal products sort of unintentionally - I got really into raw food and was feeling absolutely amazing, so happy, high energy etc, and from there I began learning about the negative aspects of consuming animal products, thus I automatically cut them out. In essence I sort of ended up realizing, "Oh, I suppose I'm vegan now".

However, aside from feeling so damn good when eating high amounts of raw foods, smoothies, juices etc., in about January/February or so I began noticing cognitive problems. Poor concentration/focus (I ran through a few red lights, something I have never ever done before), blanking/spacing out, dizziness.

Now, for my whole life I have always been one to get distracted easily/focus problems, though I have never been so acutely aware of how my brain is functioning now. I've always been a bit (or more than a bit) of a hypochondriac so the fact that I am noticing these things so intensely is really, really scaring me.

I had a blood test a few weeks ago and was told I am iron deficient. I have been taking 35mg of ferrous gluconate 2-3 times a day since then. I also take b12 (methylcobalamin) supplements.

Basically I am finding myself lately in a state of anxiety, almost panic attacks, nearly all day, just worrying and thinking about if I am ok or if there is any harm being done to me (my brain). I do not want to eat animal products as I disagree with it, and I don't see anything in dairy that would benefit me. But meat though, perhaps?

I just don't know and I don't know what to do. I'm extremely passionate about health, I will be studying holistic nutrition in the coming months, I eat very very well - lots of fruit, leafy greens, legumes, grains, herbs, nuts, seeds, some sprouts, fortified beverages & supplements as well!! Why am I having cognitive issues?? This is when I question if I am just being a worry wart and just over-analyzing my every move.

As of now, I think these "symptoms" are, not 100% but possibly, getting worse - memory issues and some confusion. Perhaps it's just that it takes time to replenish the iron stores and I'm maybe just simply still iron deficient?

Maybe I'm just freaking out and I just need reassurance that veganism is a-ok.

*** I figured out that I think I am just overtired and exhausted from working so incredibly much all the time non-stop with very few days off. I think that is what's been affecting my mental performance!! Anyways... I've been trying to figure out how to delete this post but I don't know how??
    Last edited by Flower Child; May 1st, 2011 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Trying to delete this post!

Default Re: Brain function/cognition?

Hello there - are you sure you're getting enough calories? Sometimes it's hard on a mainly raw diet. Also have you thought about the glycaemic index/load of what you're eating? If you eat meals that are high in sugar or quickly-absorbed starches it could cause peaks and troughs in your blood sugar which could make you light-headed. Anaemia can do that as well so perhaps when you've been taking the iron supplements for a while it will help.

I would be very surprised if being vegan caused cognitive problems - lots of us here have been vegan for a long time and have clocked up various university degrees and so on since. There are also people in their 90s and above who have been vegan for decades and are completely compos mentis.

It sounds like you made quite an extreme change in what you were eating and I agree with harpy that it's possible you're not getting enough calories. Have you thought about seeing a nutritionist who can help you double check you're getting everything you need in the right balance, while sticking to what you want to do? I don't think anyone on here is going to advise you to eat meat!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Oh yes I should mention that, for a few months beginning in December, I'll admit I probably wasn't getting enough calories... I was really diggin strictly raw food all day back then, and that did last a while, but as of lately I'd say I've upped my caloric intake with heavier meals and such throughout the whole day.

Hi,

I agree with Harpy, definitely make sure you're getting enough calories each day, and also make sure you're getting enough protein and good fats in your diet too. Nuts, nut butters, olive oil, vegan butter, etc. are all good for some healthy fats which help you to think clearly. Also low blood sugar can make you spacey and dizzy and forget things. Have you noticed that it gets better after you've eaten or is it all day long? Another thing to look into is the other B vitamins, deficiencies in some of the other B vitamins other than b12 can also cause dizziness and memory problems and panic attacks. I'm all for getting most of our nutrients from diet, but it never hurts to take a multi or a B complex just in case or while you're still getting used to a new diet and still learning about nutrition as a vegan. I'd also make sure you're drinking enough water and getting enough salt in your diet every day. Too much is not good but too little is not good either. Anemia can also make you dizzy, so you could always get a follow up blood test and make sure that you're iron stores are on their way back to where they should be.

Something that really helped me was a book called Becoming Vegan, it goes into all the different nutrients and all the vegan sources of them. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Hello Flower Child, I'm sure you'll notice an improvement now you are eating more and not exhausting yourself. As has been, said there are lots of people who have been vegan for many years and don't have any problems with brain function.

As far as meat is concerned...........there is nothing in meat that you can't get from vegan sources. Of course if you eat meat you are getting unwanted saturated fat and cholesterol, which isn't very good for you........... so there is something in meat you can't get from vegan sources but I don't think any of us miss that.
    I hope you start to feel better very soon and congratulations on becoming vegan.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote Flower Child View Post
    2-3 times a day since then. I also take b12 (methylcobalamin) supplements.

Basically I am finding myself lately in a state of anxiety, almost panic attacks, nearly all day, just worrying and thinking about if I am ok or if there is any harm being done to me (my brain). I do not want to eat animal products as I disagree with it, and I don't see anything in dairy that would benefit me. But meat though, perhaps?

I just don't know and I don't know what to do. I'm extremely passionate about health, I will be studying holistic nutrition in the coming months, I eat very very well - lots of fruit, leafy greens, legumes, grains, herbs, nuts, seeds, some sprouts, fortified beverages & supplements as well!!
    Hi Flower Child, and welcome to the forum!

Are you in a stressed life situation?
    Do you get enough sleep?
    Where do you get Omega-3 from?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Thanks!!

I actually have been in somewhat of a mentally and physically stressful and tiresome situation for many months now with regards to working almost non-stop with not many days off at all really. On top of that I really hate my job and for months now I've been very aware of the dread I feel about going to work and having to spend all my time there etc. and I guess I just never put two and two together and realized that working so much is what's causing so much mental exhaustion (over-tiredness, dizziness, sensitivity to light, absent-mindedness...) Makes so much sense!

Also, sometimes I suppose I don't get enough sleep as I'm up so early every single day. Also I get my omega-3 from flaxseeds and flaxseed oil daily in my smoothies!!! Yum!

I feel better now that I know I need time off to rest and do more of what I want to do.

'Lo Flower Child

For what its worth; When I first went vegetarian my mental faculties seemed to be clearer and sharper and again so when I became vegan.

I would be pretty sure that its not a vegan diet, per-se, that is causing your problem (or we would all be suffering the same thing?) though it is possible that the exact vegan diet you are eating may possibly be.

My SO (a vegan with a highly stressfull job - she works with the terminaly ill for McMillans) was recently diagnosed with depression due to stress. The quack signed her off for a few weeks and that seems to have done the trick!

If your body is telling you to get some rest then get some rest, and I hope you feel all 'tickety-boo' and 'pucker' again very soon!
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Hello Flowerchild,

I would also suggest to read Vesanto Melina and Brenda Davis' book 'Becoming Vegan'.
    Other than that, find out if there is a vegan-friendly doctor or dietician in your neighbourhood and pay them a visit.
    It would be too bad if you lost your health or if you just decided to abandon veganism (which is the right way of life) because you forgot about some nutrient and now are experiencing health problems.

But it really sounds as if overwork would be the problem here...

Best regards,
    Andy