Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Omega-3

tails4wagging

Arrow Omega 3 fatty acids in food?

Ok, is any vegan food loaded with omega 3 fatty acids, as I hate taking tablets or suppliments as I forget to take them!!?
    I have arthritis in my left hip and right knee, so I need oiling!!

PinkFluffyCloud

Aren't Walnuts and Avocadoes good?

ConsciousCuisine

Walnuts, Flax Seeds and Canola Oil. (I don't suggest Canola Oil, however)

tails4wagging

I just love walnuts, never tasted Flax seeds though. How many walnuts would you need for a good intake of omega 3 on a daily basis?

From the UK vegan society website, Flaxseeds (linseeds), Mustard seeds, Pumpkin seeds, Soya bean, Walnut oil, Green leafy vegetables, Grains, and Spirulina are listed as good sources.

Theres more info on essential fatty acids on the vegan society website HERE.

You can also listen to the omega 3 fatty acids online talk by Michael Greger M.D HERE. .

I would also look at hemp seed oil. Motherhemp and Yaoh have products available in the UK.

And HERES a "Nutrition and Arthritis" piece from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM).

PinkFluffyCloud

Just wanted to say that the 'Yaoh' products are great, I love the general purpose Hemp Salve.

on my packet of quinoa that i bought, it says it contains omega oils too, although more omega 6 and 9 than omega 3.

i like Yaoh too their raw food bars are yummy.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I've been taking vegan Omega 3 supplements made from microalgea. It took a while to get over the gag factor. It's like tasting pond scum every morning. I just wasn't getting a reliable daily dose of flax or walnuts so this was the way I went. I buy them at www.veganessentials.com or www.pangea.com

I also take the vegan DHA supplements made from microalgae. They're a little pricey now (about $24 US for 40 veggiecaps) but I think we may see competition drive the prices down in the near future. I figure it's just quicker and more efficient to ingest DHA directly rather than have my body convert the other type. (Though I still eat foods with high omega-3 content when available.)

I add a dessertspoon of flaxseed oil to my daily vege juice, and can't even taste the oil. I guess the carrots and celery cloak any oil taste, and it is all omega3.
    Eve

you can get one-a-day vegan omega oil capsules in the UK (and probably elsewhere) made by Vertese. they're available in most health food shops including Holland & Barrett. i've been taking them for a while but i'm thinking about changing to an oil such as Udo's Choice or Mother Hemp.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

tails4wagging

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am eating walnuts until they come out of my ears!!!.May get the flax seed oil and add it to some juice or another. I just know if I start taking suppliments of omega 3 I will forget to take them.

how much of the Omega 3's, 6's, and 9's do we need each day?

tails4wagging

Default Walnuts, how many should I take

for my omega 3 imput, someone somewhere here suggested them but cannot remember how many to take daily??.
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 30th, 2006 at 11:07 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread....

I think the standard is 1/4 cup - around 8 maybe? Please someone correct me if I am wrong?

tails4wagging

I can eat more than 8, I love them, but may find it difficult to get them in the summer months here. They tend to be in the shops during the lead up to Christmas.

I take 4 a day.
    Eve

The recommended intake is at least 2.2 g ALA and no more than 4x as much LA. Seven walnuts provide 2.6 g ALA and 10.8 g LA, 185 kcal, and because this puts you over the 4x limit for LA, you'd better be careful to limit other sources of LA (most plant oils and fats have much more LA than ALA) otherwise you hinder the conversion process from ALA to EPA/DHA.

I have 2 walnuts, 2 T flax, and 1 brazil nut every day. This gives a better LA:ALA ratio and provides selenium, too.

tails4wagging

Thanks for info,. I also love brazil nuts!. Must be careful then about how much I eat!!

Wow! I didn't realise it was so technical!

Kevster

Plant based nutrition and health is pretty good by Stephen Walsh:

http://www.vegansociety.com/catalog/...roducts_id=153

This is an outstanding paper on optimizing EFA status in veg*ns:

Achieving optimal essential fatty acid status in vegetarians: current knowledge and practical implication
    Brenda C Davis and Penny M Kris-Etherton
    American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 78, No. 3, 640S-646S, September 2003

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/78/3/640S

From a similar thread at 'Veganforum 1':

Rhi: Where can i find good sources of Omega 3 & 6?
    I use flaxseed oil but i think this only has omega 3 in. not sure. don't really know anything about these omega thingies which worries me as i know some people supplement them or see them as very important and i have never even thought about them so chances are i am not getting any.
    cheers for any help.

phillip888: Almost everything has both, but flax and pumpkin seeds have a higher Omega3 content. You need to suppliment your Omega3 if you eat a lot of grains or processed foods. There are a bunch more Omega3 rich foods, look it up on google...

globesetter: The only plant based source of omega 3 is flax - the oil has a smaller amount than the seeds - it is highly recommened that vegans include at least a tablespoon of ground flax seeds in their daily diet - they have to be ground fresh - and they are tough little buggers, so you need a coffee grinder or some such thing. I put them in soy milk smoothies or add them to a casserole - you can also add them to baked goods.

Some foods are omega 3 fortified - for example, I found a vegan margarine with omega 3.

Omega 6 is in alot of plants, so you don't need to worry about it unless you don't eat vegetables!

These fatty acids are part of the picture in preventing heart diesease and arthereosclerosis.

Dr. Michael Gregor has a good site that explains it - I don't have the link handy, but you can find it on google.

regards,
    globesetter

Wanda: I eat bread and waffels with omega 3.

jill: My understanding is that hemp is actually better than flax as it's the only vegan oil which comes in the proper ratio of 3:1 for omega 6 & 3.

phillip888: Hemp is a good one. There are some problems with legality in the US though. Pharmaceutical companies are trying to get hemp foods outlawed by lobbying our normally corrupt government. Contrary to popular belief, flax is not the only source of plant Omega3. In fact flax isn't even a very attainable source in most areas without importing. It's difficult to grow, and is nearly impossible to digest unless it's been crushed into a meal or pressed into an oil.
    Here's a short list:

Perilla Oil
    flax
    Hemp
    Rapeseed/canola oil
    Pumpkin seeds
    Soybean
    Walnuts
    pecan
    pine nuts
    leafy greens

As I said before, it depends on your diet. If you eat traditional foods with grains and oils, you consume too many Omega6 foods. The only thing that helps is supplementing with Omega3 fortified foods, or the ones I listed. Also processed foods simply don't contain Omega3 fats because manufacturers don't want them in their foods. Otherwise they would spoil before they could be shipped to the market. If you use any of the above make sure they're cold pressed if you take them as oil, or eat them as raw foods.

rhi: ok, hemp oil sounds like the easiest option which is always good with me

as far as i know hemp oil is legal here (uk) but i don't think i have seen it anywhere! will have to have a good look around when i go to the health food store next!

what are these omega thingies for anyway? i think omega 3 is meant to be good for your heart or something but that's about all i know.

phillip888: Omega3 and 6 are used for synthesizing many other chemical compounds. It's kind of like asking what potassium is used for:]

Hemp oil is actually pretty easy to get in the U.K. In fact it's easy to get in Canada too, just not so easy here in the good old USA as a lot of shops are hesitant to carry it...

funny thing about omega three. A lot articles blame the omega 3/6 imbalance in modern diets on the lack of marine life in our diet, yet there are millions of people living to a ripe old age who have never eaten fish... Yep we're still in the dark ages.

jill: I had no idea that hemp was difficult to get in t he US, sorry. Though, it doesn't contain any THC, so I'm not sure what the issue is? If you can't get it in oil form, though, you can always try it in ice cream, salad dressing and the like. I love the chocolate hemp ice cream from Cool Hemp...but, er, they're not in the US either. Someone, in another thread, asked about pancakes, and Hempola has pancake mix (though I've never tried it).

phillip888: The issue is greed. Many corporations can't deal with the competition put up by natural alternatives like cannabis and cannabis hemp, so they work hard on getting it criminalized as quickly as possible. Keep in mind that some processed hemp products don't have omega3 so do some emailing to find out. If you cook hemp you're going to lose most of it too. It's one of those things that's too easy to destroy by processing. Hemp oils and super-foods are your best source.

Astrocat: Yep, it's really unfair i reckon - it's so good for you, but comemrcial capitalism stands in the way of progress, repeating history in a diamsl loop of human mediocrity - i really like Hemp Oil.

I make a point of consuming a great deal of it, because it's nice, healthy and it's good stuff.

I don't know where you all live, but in the UK you can get organic Flax or Hemp Oil from Savant Distribution (they may even do international orders, i forget now...) i always forget their homepage URL and just type Savant Distribution into Google and go from there, and from there it is possible to order a variety of nice natural oils, which i reccommend that everyone do, because they're really good and although it takes a while to become depleted of EFAs, and a while onger for effects to show, i wouldn't want it insipidly sneaking up on anyone if it can be prevented by a little oil here or there - add it to sandwiches, steamed veggies, rice...

Flax Oil and Udo's Oil want to be only put onto cold foods, but Hemp Oil is my pal because it says you can heat it to an amazing 150 degrees C as long as you don't fry it (like, who would ?!?) - i dine upon maybe 10-20 grams of oil daily, although the "RDA" is just 2 grams... but it's better the more you have, the more the merrier as they say

I did my sums one day and found that oil was around 8 or 9 times more money-efficient than getting the same oil in capsules, and the oil is nice and organic too (whereas the capsules...eh... dubious in origin those hemp seeds maybe)
    so get a ncie bottle of cold-pressed natural oil now y'all - go for organic ones in lovely amber glass bottles and you know you're likely to find a nice enough product...

Myself, i combine a nice ground-up Hemp seeds blend, which has all kinds of other cool stuff in little quantities (Spirulina, BlackStrap Molasses, all sorts of stuff...) also in the mix, it's cool stuff and as a finely ground powder it blends extremely well with natural-style Provamel Yofu, making a pleasant and slightly luxurious-seemingnutty-tasting pudding-tasting tasty snack when whipped together with the Yofu a bit. yummy !

apart from that, i like either FMD Organic Flax Oil or MotherHempOil Organic Hempseed Oil (both likesay from Savant Distribution ltd. (UK based)

The EFA breakdown is as follows :

(Flax Oil) per 100ml

Omega 3 - 53g
    Omega 6 - 13g

(Hemp-seed Oil) per 100ml

Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) - 18ml
    Omega 6 - 56 ml

also, it has other nice oily stuff in it too :

Stearidonic acid (Omega 3) 1 ml
    GLA (Omega 6) - 3 ml
    Oleic acid (Omega 9) - 11 ml

now the first one , the Flax oil, does say "g" for grams rather than "ml" for millilitres but either way, the ratios are the same, and with the Flax Oil Omega 3 wins whereas with the Hemp Oil Omega 6 clearly deserves most of the credit for existence...

Udos Oil has a great balance of many things, but i don't have any of it right now so can't check out the labels etc to tell you about it properly - but it has great ratios of both omega 3 and 6, being based on hemp seed oil but also containing delights such as coconut oil, evening primrose oil, and other nice oils for good health etc... but it's pricey ! so, i just get organic flax and hemp seed oil and alternate, personally

i use flax oil whenever i can, whenever i can add it to anything fairly cold , coolish tepid, or cold i use Flax - otherwise in goes the Hemp Seed Oil glug glug, since it can take the heat etc ... i use plenty, yum up your hemp seed or Flax oil y'all and you will be happy people..er... probably ...

Also, it is true that Omega 3s are the ones to go for if at all possible, to try and even out that imbalance in synthetic or modern or "conventionally farmed" products or food - thus my attempts to slip in Flax from time to time for a shot of Omega 3 to sometimes interpserse the usual , more tolerant thus more convenient Hemp seed Oil

Oil is gooood , i like to throw loads of it in rice

~Astro~

PS~ hi, i'm a newbie. i like oil.

ink'n'carrots: I use Udo's Oil Blend. It's great stuff.

nelly globesetter The main issue of omega 3 and omega 6 is the balance - we should be eating a ratio of 2:1 or 1:1 of omega 6 to omega 3 ( the ratio is still being debated). There are 3 omega 3«s - one of them, ALA, comes from vegetarian sources, the other two are found in fatty fish, and can be manufactured by the body from ALA. The trouble is that the process of manufacturing the other two from ALA doesn«t appear to be a very efficient process. This is still being debated and researched. For now, scientists are recommending fish oil supplements to be safe, but this is by no means a definitive answer.

This from the website www.omega3info.org -

Vegetarians and Vegans
    For people who cannot contemplate eating fish, the omega-3s must come from alpha-linolenic acid (ALAThis can be achieved by increasing intake of omega-3 rich foodssuch as flaxseed (linseed) oil, rapeseed (canola) oil, chia seeds, walnuts and walnut oil, and dark green leafy vegetables; it is vital that the intake of omega-6 fatty acids is kept in balance by closely monitoring vegetable oils and yellow fats (vegetable margarines made from sunflower/safflower oils) in the diet.

Vegetarian omega-3 ALA supplements are available, usually as flaxseed (linseed) oil.

Tom: Okay... I've recently become interested in this issue. I have always eaten a lot of leafy green vegetables: spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion (okay- my rabbits get most of those nowadays), kale, etc.

But I've also started eating flax seed raw. I eat a tablespoon or two each day and chew them carefully... I don't know why this would not be as good as grinding them.

I have heard, as many here have pointed out, that the ratio of 3 to 6 is important. Supposedly we use more 6 than 3, but if 3 is TOO low, that's not ideal.

globesetter: Made a typo with the web address:

www.omega-3info.com

Our digestve system is not able to break down the outer layer of flax seeds. Chewing them should be as good as grinding them, but you would have to chew very carefully to make sure the outer layer is broken down on every seed. I tried it once and it was just too much work for me! I grind them in a coffee grinder and sprinkle them on whatever I«m eating.

all the best,
    globesetter

globesetter: An excerpt from Dr. Michael Gregor«s newsletter explaining the omega 3 issue<.

Fish industry trade groups claim that giving up salmon "would do more harm than good" because of the heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids found in fish fat.[16] Yes, one industry consultant admits, salmon could cause thousands of cancer deaths, but it might save even more lives by preventing heart attacks.[17] Is that the choice Americans get? Do Americans have to slowly poison themselves in hopes that the fish fat may prevent a future heart attack? This sounds like the tired old dairy industry line about the importance of calcium every time another study comes out questioning the healthfulness of cow milk. Just like there are healthier plant-based sources of calcium, there are healthier plant based sources of omega 3 fatty acids. We don't have to choose between cancer and heart disease.

Our bodies convert the short chain omega 3's found in flax seeds, for example, into the long chain omega 3's found in fish fat, so one can choose to get omega 3's packaged with soluble fiber and antioxidants in flax, rather than getting them packaged with heavy metals and carcinogens in fish. For those who want to take supplemental long chain omega 3's directly, but don't want to be exposed to the high concentrations of PCBs and pesticides in fish oil capsules,[18] there are two vegan algae-based contamination-free supplements currently on the market.[19]

Vegetarians have as little as 1 to 2 percent the level of many pesticides and industrial chemicals in their bodies compared to meateaters. Through food alone, nonvegan Americans are getting 22 times the maximum dioxin exposure set by the EPA. Nursing infants with nonvegan moms get up to 65 times the maximum tolerable dose of this toxic waste. Although the fat in the beef, pork, poultry and milk also contain these carcinogens, this new study shows that the most contaminated flesh food is fish.

Most salmon served in the U.S. is farmed and dangerous. 3 IPS, Inc.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

tails4wagging

Thanks Korn I will print this off, because a friend wanted to know as well.

PinkFluffyCloud

I am glad about this, because I bought some Hemp Oil yesterday by mistake, - I meant to get Flax oil, yet I see the Hemp is very good.

Go to http://www.nutritiondata.com

Click on the "Tools" tab

Search for foods highest in 18:3. This is the short-chain omega3. The body can convert 5-10% of this to long-chain omega3 (EPA and DHA mostly found in fish). Conversion depends on a lot of factors. Nutritionally, you must limit your 18:2 (omega6) fats and saturated fats (and possibly monosaturated fats as well) for the conversion to take place optimally within the confines of your genetics. The omega6 mega3 ratio for optimal conversion is 2:1 to 4:1. So it isn't enough to get enough omega3, you also have to limit omega6, which is the more prevalent fatty acids in most nuts, seeds, and vegetable oils.

Ideally, you get

-at least 2.2 g short-chain omega3 (some vegans might do better to get 4.4)

-no more than 4x as much omega6 as short- chain omega3

-0.65 g of EPA+DHA. A third of this might be good enough.

The best (= most for the least calories) source of short-chain omega3 is flax. The cheapest way to get it is from the seeds, 2-3 tablespoons, ground just before eating in the coffee grinder. The oil is much more expensive than the seeds and must be stored in the fridge or freezer because it goes rancid very quickly. Walnuts also have some, as do hemp seeds and oil, and also dark leafy greens and a few other foods.

Sorry to be such a dodo but what's the best way to take hemp oil? Cook with it? Take in a drink or straight off a spoon? And how much daily? Advice please.

Check out THIS thread cr.

thanks for the link gert, off down the health food shop at the weekend

I sometimes take the algae capsules but mostly I just put a tsp of flax oil on my (coldish!) toast. I also avoid overdoing the omega 6s, e.g. by not using sunflower oil, as too much of this interferes with the body's conversion of the omega 3s (or something). Some people say "balanced" oils such as Udo's are less good for vegetarians/vegans than flax oil for this reason, as we tend to get plenty of omega 6 oils in our diet anyway, from nuts, seeds, grains, fruits and veg.

A couple more links:
    http://www.vegsoc.org/info/omega3.html
    http://www.vegansociety.com/articles/aut01recipe.htm

PinkFluffyCloud

Arrggghhhh!!

Thumbs up Flaxmeal

Inspired by this thread and other notices about omega 3, I've returned to eating flax/soy bread, and picked up a bag of flax seed meal. The store had it refrigerated and it is very fresh, so I'm assuming it is beneficial. I just add it to my muesli in the morning. It adds a nice bit of richness and the dog gets to finish the bowl so she's benefiting.

There's no way I'll find time to grind them, it's difficult enough to find time to eat the cereal and prepare food to carry. Eating vegan means packing my lunch.
    I am a tangerine ;)

I prefer the taste of Elmer's Original hemp oil to Mother Hemp, Elmer's is more nutty, but Mother Hemp tasted slightly fishy.
    It's so nice you could just eat it straight from the spoon, but it's also lovely on salads, or you can use it in home-made houmous etc.
    They sell it in (UK) health food shops, it's made by Natural Alchemy.

Also, I've read a recipe for hemp milk, which I haven't tried yet, that involves blending hemp seeds and water, then straining the resultant milk through a finely-woven cloth. Presumably the omega 3s would be retained.

And I know this is probably all wrong nutritionally, but it's very tasty to gently dry roast hemp seeds in a pan and then grind them finely with a little sea salt and sprinkle over food, in the same way as gomasio (sesame salt).

dont know if its available everywhere but pure spreads , the sunflower version now have added omega 3 and 6's, so you can get a little bit of extra goodness everytime you make a sandwich, toast, bake up a storm etc

if you visit the site and click on the yellow sunflower spread, then click on the 'click here' bit at the bottom of the info there is a bit of info about omegas too.

there are some good recipes as well on the site.

I believe that omega 3 and 6 is now added to the "Pure" range of vegan margarines by Mathews Foods if this is any help? Bought some today, says New on the tub

i think we have both covered the same topic there ahimsa!

Quote cedarblue
    i think we have both covered the same topic there ahimsa!
    Sorry,must be my age.............

Quote Ahimsa
    Sorry,must be my age.............

Hemp is far superior than flax, I took flax for years and felt so much better when I switched over. Hemp lasts longer and does not go rancid very easily (because of high amount of vitamin e) unlike flax that goes rancid very easily and have read that it oxidizes in the body before it is absorbed. Hemp has an almost ideal ratio of omegas so it is utilized very well by the body. The most important is that hemp has GLA and SDA found in fish oil. Flax doesn't have these. This makes hemp closest to fish oil, with all the benefits. Here is some info I had :
    Hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) seed oil is an exceptionally rich source of unsaturated fatty acids, specifically the essential fatty acids (EFAs) linoleic acid (LA, 18:2w6) and (alpha) linolenic acid (LNA, 18:3w3), that the human body cannot manufacture and, therefore, must come from dietary sources (Deferne and Pate 1996). The approximate 3:1 ratio of LA to LNA in hempseed oil has been recommended as optimal for maintainance of the normal bias of these two components found in healthy human adipose tissue (Erasmus 1995). This ratio is approximately inverted in flax (Linum usitatissimum L.) seed (fresh linseed) oil, another rich source of EFAs, making it superior for short-term treatment of LNA deficiency, but unsuitable as a long-term dietary staple (Erasmus 1995). Matt

Quote veganmatthew
    Hemp is far superior than flax, I took flax for years and felt so much better when I switched over. Hemp lasts longer and does not go rancid very easily (because of high amount of vitamin e) unlike flax that goes rancid very easily and have read that it oxidizes in the body before it is absorbed. Hemp has an almost ideal ratio of omegas so it is utilized very well by the body.
    Hemp seeds are also 65% perfectly balanced complete protein, called edestin. Hempseeds are the richest natural source of edestin.

Also, I know I'm going on and on about the benefits of cannabis in the cannabis thread, but Tails4wagging, I thought you should know that cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive cannabinoid, has been proved to be an extremely effective anti-arthritic agent.

In the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Immunology, August 15, 2000, vol.97, no.17, pages 9561-9566, there's a report entitled:

'The non-psychoactive cannabis constituent, cannabidiol, is an oral anti-arthritic therapeutic in murine collagen-induced arthritis'

In the experiment, arthritis was induced in mice by injecting them with cow or mouse collagen, to model acute or chronic relapsing arthritis, and CBD was administered to them after the onset of clinical symptoms. In both models, the treatment effectively blocked the progression of arthritis, and reduced inflammation and damage to the joints. CBD was equally effective whether it was administered intra-peritoneally or orally. They found that the optimum dose was 25mg per kg body weight, and doses higher or lower than this were not as effective.

I know this is not as useful as it could be, because cannabis is illegal...but it shouldn't be, in my opinion.

Not only do the seeds contain perfectly balanced essential fatty acids and proteins for human health, but the cannabinoids are some of the most valuable therapeutic agents for a huge range of ailments.

CBD, like all the cannabinoids, is non-toxic, but it doesn't have any psychological effects, and it is a major constituent of the flowers of the hemp plant. It is even found in the industrial hemp that has been specially bred to have low psychoactivity. This is being grown more and more widely, as farmers begin to realise the potential of fibre crops. So there's really no reason why the CBD shouldn't be extracted and made available to people like yourself who are arthritis sufferers, as a pure floral extract.

Maybe I should be posting this on the cannabis thread, instead of here, but I thought you should know!

(I'll put the research part in the cannabis thread as well)

Anyway, I hope the hemp oil is helping.

tails4wagging, I hope the mouse experiments didn't upset you, I just feel like this knowledge has been discovered and people should know about it, because actually hemp is an ancient and safe herbal remedy, and anyone should be able to grow it for themselves, or have someone grow it for them, and there doesn't really have to be any vivisection involved in its production at all. The pharmaceutical companies don't actually need to be involved. It's natural medicine.

Default Correction

What I wrote above abut the edestin content of hemp seeds is incorrect.
    Hemp seeds are 25-35% protein, of which 65% is edestin.

Here's an article about the compostion and value of hemp seeds, inluding oil and protein:

http://www.hempoilcan.com/nutri.html

Sorry for the mistake, hope you like the article.

cross barer

Default Re: Vegan Omega-3

resaerching the fur seal trade recently I learned that fats from clubbed seals are used in non-vegan omega 3 supplements!!!!

There are many products the average omnivore wouldn't worry about, if their omega three supplement came from fish for example, but from fur seals??? If this info is made common knowledge the potential consumer backlash may be useful against the sealing industry.

tails4wagging

Yea Gods that can't be right is it??. How can they say suitable for vegans when it isn't??? . I dont take any suppliments but it is worth checking out with the vegan society.

tails4wagging

Just realised you said NON vegan omega 3. Phew!!!!!

Quote kokopelli
    I just feel like this knowledge has been discovered and people should know about it, because actually hemp is an ancient and safe herbal remedy, and anyone should be able to grow it for themselves, or have someone grow it for them, and there doesn't really have to be any vivisection involved in its production at all. The pharmaceutical companies don't actually need to be involved. It's natural medicine.
    Unfortunately hemp is forbidden in Australia for any purpose whatsoever!
    Eve

cross barer

Quote tails4wagging
    Just realised you said NON vegan omega 3. Phew!!!!!

Quote eve
    Unfortunately hemp is forbidden in Australia for any purpose whatsoever!
    Are you sure about that, Eve?

It's just that I saw an Australian documentary on pot tv internetwork showing uses of hemp, and I believe industrial hemp is now being grown widely in Australia. It showed fields of Australian hemp in the film, and environmentalists advocating its cultivation for paper making, instead of using trees. But maybe different states have different rules.

Here's a link to the documentary, it's called 'The Hemp Revolution'
    (it has an advert for Marc Emery Seeds at the beginning, but it only lasts a couple of minutes, and you can always skip it):

http://pot.tv/archive/shows/pottvshowse-3321.html

it's very interesting, I think, and shows the many practical uses of the hemp plant.

And I just found this online Australian hemp shop:

http://www.hempmarket.com.au/shop_skincare.htm

but I notice that hemp oil comes in the 'skincare' section, with a long list of its nutritional and therapeutic benefits, followed by the amusing caveat: FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY IF USED IN AUSTRALIA!!!!!
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Purslane (Portulaca oleracea)

More about purslane from Google...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.