Thread: Nice figs?

Default Nice figs?

Feel a bit silly asking this but... I am trying to get into eating figs cos i think i could do with more calcium (i used to eat them years ago but just forgot about them) anyway - i just cant seem to find any nice ones and i dont know if anyone could point me toward some nice ones? I've tried holland and barratt - some where nice but a lot were yuk, then i tried partially rehydrated organic ones i found in asda (cant remeber what brand maybe whitworths?) Again some where nice but a lot were dry and yuk. Where am i going wrong?!!

Default Re: Nice figs?

Could you not soak them in some fruit juice or use them in baking if they are too dry as is? Sorry, I don't have a different suggestion apart from looking out for fresh figs - the market where I live sometimes has big trays of them going fairly cheap.

they're full of iron too!!

simmer them gently in water with some spices and maybe orange flower water or rose water??

Do you mean fresh figs? If you want dried ones, try Arabic grocery stores. I like them soft and gooey inside too. The green figs are my particular faves.

ISTR there's an organic brand called Crazy Jack's which are nice and squishy - you can get them in Waitrose I think. Rather expensive but there's a limit to how many dried figs you can eat at a time.

crazy jacks are in waitrose and sainsburys.

Thanks for all the tips!! I never thought about fresh figs or doing anything other than just eating them plain!! I will definately try and find the crazy jacks ones - i can imagine they would be nice cos all their other stuff i've tried has been really nice - i havent been to sainburys for years!! Thanks again!