Thread: Trying to create a balanced vegan menu

Default Trying to create a balanced vegan menu

Hi all,
    I'm trying to come up with a balanced vegan menu, as I've been on a roller coaster ride with food the past six months (stress, emotional issues, etc.) and I'm really a bit lost as to how I can eat and not be so focused on food. One of the problems was that I tried to be too rigid with my menu and put everything into Fitday and got obsessed with calories, etc. So this time around I just want to focus on two main goals:

1. A balanced, totally vegan menu
    2. A vegan menu that incorporates as much whole food as possible (in other words, I'm trying to stay away from ready-made products like vegan burgers, crumbles, etc.)

Though I want to get away from obsessing with calories, carbs, protein, etc., I am trying to come up with a menu that won't be too many calories and too heavy on fat. I've got a bit of weight to lose (about 10 pounds) but I know from past experience that if I try to restrict calories or count them then it will backfire on me and as long as I stick with a good balanced plan and don't binge on junk food then I'll lose the excess weight.

Here's the menu I've been working on today:

Morning:
    Fruit or All-Fruit Smoothie and Oatmeal

Mid-Morning:
    Hummus or Tehina with raw veggies and fruit

Afternoon:
    Beans and Grain and Veggies (either as a “bowl” or separately)

Mid-Afternoon:
    Celery with nut butter or crunchy chickpeas and fruit

Evening:
    Salad with Beans and Grain (whole grain pasta, couscous, whole wheat tortilla)

Snacks:
    Dry fruit
    Whole grain cereal
    Dark Chocolate
    (2 of these, if I'm in the mood to snack)

Drinks:
    Water, plain or with twist of lime
    Black coffee (2 cups per day - trying to limit caffeine and stick with water)

What do you all think? In terms of portions, all these would be in standard portion sizes (i.e., 1/2 cup beans, 1/2 cup cooked grain, 1 medium fruit, etc.)

Tam

Default Re: Trying to create a balanced vegan menu

hi tam, the menu you've created looks excellent, imho

the only suggestion i can give is that you vary the foods that you eat. i have problems with that and don't always follow my own advice but variety is important. for example, my typical breakfast is a piece of fruit and a small bowl whole grain cereal with almond milk and ground flax seeds. it's fast, healthy and yummy, so it works great, but i've been trying to incorporate more variety lately, so i might instead have 2-3 pieces of fruit and a little bit of soy yogurt. or, a couple of fruit and a whole grain waffle with agave nectar.

as long as you use the menu you've created as a general skeleton and vary the fruits and veggies and how you combine them in smoothies, salads, and recipes, it sounds balanced to me.

hope that helps and good luck
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Other drinks to consider would be herb or fruit infusions in place of water and green tea in place of coffee.

There are loads of variations on stir frying a load of veg and then varying the sauces you make with it (tomato, spinach and herbs for pasta; kidney beans, tomato and chilli with rice; soy sauce, nut butter and sesame seeds with noodles).

5 meals, with snacks?

What happened to breakfast, dinner and lunch?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

BlackCats

I'm not amazingly knowledgable about nutrition but I think it sounds really good.

Reading the forum the only thing I thought my diet might be lacking is ground flaxseeds so I mix into peanut butter on toast or sprinkle onto porrridge every day (and I take two kelp tablets a week for iodine). I don't know if you include these or a substitute source?

I eat about six or seven smaller meals a day, it keeps my blood sugar up and I have more energy. People do comment that I am always eating but who cares!

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    5 meals, with snacks?

Some people find they seem to need more meals with smaller portions than BDL.
    Personally I have the following menu and I find it is fairly balanced:
    Breakfast: Either cereal with soya milk, or a bowl porridge, or toast with fruit spread or nut butter, or lots of dried fruit and nuts. Lunch is usually stuffed pitta bread or a sandwich, dinnner generally a large homemade curry, chilli or pasta dish with lots of veggies. Snacks, dried or raw fruit and nuts, which I eat whenever I'm hungry. I have unlimited hot drinks whenever I want.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    5 meals, with snacks?

Eating small meals throughout the day is better for your metabolism, and also keeps your blood sugar levels even throughout the day. It also prevents binge eating.

I follow the small meal pattern too. The three meals a day is just a concept based on society's stereotypical schedule (before work, break-time, and after work)
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Quote thecatspajamas1 View Post
    The three meals a day is just a concept based on society's stereotypical schedule (before work, break-time, and after work)
    That's very interesting...I hadn't thought about it like that before!
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

I only eat wholefood now because I really have to deal with my excess weight.
    The only way we can eat enough of the right veg is to go to the farm shop weekly and buy a large box of fresh veg, we vary which veg we buy each week and top up with fresh spinach during the week because we love spinach
    We make sure we eat our way through the veg so none is left at weeks end.

Everything else is wholefood/brown pasta, rice, quinoa, couscous etc and all sauces etc we make from scratch.

We also make our own bread as shop bought is filled with salt and sugar and ours is not!
    Silent but deadly :p

Hemlock, I cut all wheat-based products like bread, pasta, couscous, cake, biscuits, pastry, etc., out of my diet about six months ago and have lost 2 1/2 stones (35 lb, 16 kg) so far. The first 10 lbs. came off quickly and since then it's been a nice, gradual weight loss. My hubby decided to support me by doing the same with his diet and he's lost 3 st. so far and is looking well. Still have potato, steamed or baked, a couple of times a week and rice about once a week. Still do (fried) salt & pepper tofu a couple of times each week. Still have a bottle of wine and a few beers each week. Still have the occasional meal out with friends. Still bake when entertaining but only have a teaspoonful to check it's okay. Otherwise we just have more veg, salad and/or fruit than before if we're feeling really hungry. Hubby would like to lose another few pounds, for myself another 20 lbs would be good. We still eat well and have plenty of good food, have just cut out the stodge.

Otherwise, lots of salad, veg and fruit for carbs... tofu, beans and pulses for protein... quality fats/oils in moderation... some nuts... a little alcohol to help maintain sanity (optional, not compulsory!).

I make soups, savoury "mince", chilli, curry*, nut roast, hummous, vegeburgers, cauliflower & broccoli bake, etc., from basic ingredients. (*use paste or spices, depends on how the day's going)

cobweb

^ sounds good, I need to do the same but something is holding me back

I would find it VERY hard to bake for others and not eat the results

That sounds fantastic JustMe but I can't cut out wheat - I eat much less of them though being a bread fiend
    We have one bottle of organic wine at the weekend and nothing that isn't wholefood. Pastries are but a distant dream.
    We're looking good on it though. You and your hubbies weight loss sounds great!!!

Just focus on the thought of a slimmer, trimmer you. You're allowed to wander from the path now and again, you just don't make these excursions daily events

Hemlock... bread is the problem, and it's usually made from wheatflour. We used to bake our own bread and this resulted in our eating too many butties and also late night snacks of something on toast.

cobweb

Ok, some dumb/personal/annoying questions ! -

Hemlock, have you found much increase/decrease to your weekly shopping bill by eating this way?
    Do you feel healthier for it?
    How strange did/does the change in eating habits feel?
    Have you given up Caffeine?
    Is the weight falling off?

and to JustMe -
    How do you cope without cakes, etc, especially when making for others?
    Do you miss sanwiches and toast, etc, or did you at first, and what do you do when going out for the day or similar situations when sandwiches are so handy?

*i realise with some imagination i can work the above out, but before taking the plunge with YET ANOTHER weigth loss regime I'm trying to concoct a really do-able one, taking into account that I do not expect much support and will still have to make 'naughty' food for others

BlackCats

I admire the resolve of people that give up wheat, I have given up a lot of things in my life but that is something I could never give up!

Quote cobweb View Post
    Hemlock, have you found much increase/decrease to your weekly shopping bill by eating this way?
    Do you feel healthier for it?
    How strange did/does the change in eating habits feel?
    Have you given up Caffeine?
    Is the weight falling off?
    The food bill has gone down as I never eat more than 50g of pasta/rice/quinoa at each meal - before I'd just pour it in the pan and eat all of it I'll fill up with added veg and beans.
    It's cheaper not buying processed foods and now I'll buy quality not quantity.
    The weekly veg bill is about Ł12 max and buying dried beans instead of tinned is MUCH cheaper, you really need a small pressure cooker tho'.

I feel great, although one day my legs went into cramps and I realised I had eaten no salt for a week so had to start putting a pinch in now and again.

It was easy which was surprising but I have to be organised, plan lunch menus and make sure I always have a snack of carrots or fruit around because when I feel hungry I need to eat ASAP.

Caffeine - have cut down to 4-5 cups a day and gradually reducing very slowly, the last time I gave up caffeine stat I was asleep at work all day and had a headache the size of king kong for at least a month. I just cannot give it up just like that.

I lost half a stone in the first week then 3 pounds a week. I could lose more if I restricted the calories but my job is extremely heavy and I'd pass out if I didn't eat a lot! I have 3 stone to lose This is the only diet that has worked for me for 10 years.

cobweb

^ I have about the same to lose, Hemlock . I keep trying to pretend I look/feel ok but I really hate being this big .

I gave up caffeine once for years but slipped back into the habit, and last time i gave it up I reacted just like you said, ouch that headache was a killer .

You're losing weight fast, that's brilliant! well done. I was also asking about your shopping bill as I have been spending Ł70 - Ł100 per week for 3 people and one dog, which is way too much on my budget . I need to lose weight and save money. It sounds pathetic but I'm just scared of failure, and of missing my little snacky 'friends' .

I spend aprox. Ł90 a week to feed 3 adults and 2 kids (this includes toiletries and cleaning products etc.) and buy quite a lot of organic stuff ( including a veggie box delivery).
    The thing that works best for me is to plan the meals for the week ahead (when I'm feeling organised) as that way you can see if you have a good variety of foods and it makes writing a shopping list easy.
    here comes the sun

Good plan Ginger, I try and plan ahead if I can.

Those snacks are not friends Cobweb, grind them into the ground like the devils they are I know what you mean, I reached an all time high of self loathing and now I'm kicking butt!!! I've worked out that if I lose just 2 pounds a week I can be slim by December - that's 3 and a half stone.

I made a chart of the weeks between now and then deducted 2 pounds each week then write in what I've lost. When it's up on the fridge like that it seems like no time at all between fat me and what I'd like to be.

Come December I'll post before and after pictures on the forum - prepare to be amazed

That sounds good but all those beans might make you gassy and give you diarrhea if you never ate so many beans before. Why not use tofu or tempeh for one of your bean meals? It's easier to digest.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

cobweb

I can't eat too much gassy food or I suffer pain!

I'm thinking of having mainly un-cooked foods (not strictly raw but easy for me to prepare and snack on throughout the day so I don't feel hungry or deprived )

This is the kind of day I'm planning;

Smoothie with Tofu or Yoghurt, Soya Milk and something soft like Peaches or Mangoes, - and Strawberries when I can get them.

A few nuts/seeds

A cup of mixed raw greens and a few Cherry Tomatoes, with Flax Seeds

An Apple or Banana

A very small portion of whatever I'm cooking for my husband, things like Shepherds Pie with Veg, or Mashed Potato and Tofu with Veg

A small mug of Cocoa for bedtime with a treat of a squirt of Soyatoo cream on top

.......obviously I'll rotate my foods a bit but this will be the basic idea - any suggestions??

My weekday meals are now fruit for breakfast and steamed veg with steamed green soy beans and (if I have them) cooked butter beans added (this makes up about 1lb of veg). Evening meal is more veg with rice or pasta. Loads of water and yes, for now my body is protesting with cramps and other less pleasant symptoms but I am confident they will pass soon enough.

Thanks, everyone for the feedback. This is very important to me because I have family visiting who tend to be not very sensitive to veganism (my mother's never-ending complaint "You're not getting enough protein" even when I try to explain to her a million times that on a balanced vegan diet, protein is not an issue) and tend to load up on the junk food. They're staying with me for a few weeks so I'm keeping an eye on the food they bring into the house .

Yep, I do small meals, so it looks like a lot of food but the portions are about half what you would eat in a typical meal. As The Cat mentioned, it keeps the blood sugar level and prevents binge eating (which is a problem with me!)

Tam

Quote cobweb View Post
    ... and to JustMe -
    How do you cope without cakes, etc, especially when making for others?
    Do you miss sandwiches and toast, etc, or did you at first, and what do you do when going out for the day or similar situations when sandwiches are so handy?
    Wheat, like milk, contains opio-peptides which makes them addictive. The first few days without wheat weren't easy as my body missed its regular fix of wheat but by the end of the first week it was okay.

Baking for others isn't a problem for me. These days the pleasure is in the baking rather than eating the end result. I only bake now when we're having company or if someone asks if I'd make them my well-regarded monster chocolate cake (strictly vegan and very popular with our omni friends) for something they're celebrating.

Yes, I do miss toast, and sandwiches, and make no secret of this. However, I know that one piece of bread would lead to another and so just don't eat it.

I also suspect that a wheat allergy could also be an issue as my wheezy chest improved dramatically within the first ten days of giving up the wheat. A few weeks later I did have a slice of bread and within 10-15 mins was feeling really unwell, wheezing, blue lips, etc. Came close to calling for medical assistance but decided to see if some Piriton and loads of water would help, and it did. Took 5-6 hours before things were back to normal so, as you can see, this experience is enough to help keep me off the wheat. I don't see the point of going for tests as just staying off the wheat is working well enough for me.

With allergies in mind, I read somewhere that if you crave a particular food then you're probably allergic to it. Some days I really could eat a slice of home-made crusty bread but I'm not going to chance it.

If I need to take a packed lunch then it's fruit, nuts or perhaps some rice salad and a vegeburger. As long as I have a bottle of water to drink then I don't have any real problem in going all day without food if necessary.

Going on a diet in itself doesn't work, it's changing your eating habits for the better long-term that brings results. If you go back to your old, bad eating habits then the weight will pile on again.

Btw, friends called round last night and bought chips with them. Lovely, juicy fat chips with lots of salt and vinegar on them. I yielded to temptation and have been suffering from indigestion all night... still can't face any breakfast. Serves me right, I know

cobweb

A couple of thoughts..........one, I have been pondering and think I may be better with a 'radical' change (hey if we can go vegan after being brought up as omnivores we can make other profound changes! ), all this modern nonsense of 'eat what you want just limit the amounts' just invites tempation for me .
    So, I may give up wheat because I have suspected for some time it doesn't suit me - many other grains seem to affect me badly, too .

Next thought is why am I frightened to do this?. It's been going round in my head for literally years!. Well, I'm in my late 30s, have been chubby for 11 of my years and have opted out of life to some extent since losing my fugure . So I realised today whilst out walking/thinking, that if/when I do lose a lot of weight, I'll probably be full of regrets and remorse for all of my 'missing life' - 11 years of half-living . And I guess I'm terrible at coping with my feelings which is why I started over-eating in the first place........

Why is it so complex for me, when I can see just what I need to do? *big sigh*

There's nothing to be frightened of, Cobweb. With hindsight, just wish I'd given up the wheat stuff years ago.

BlackCats

That's sad Cobweb that you feel you have half-lived for 11 years. But you can choose to start your new life right now.

I actually have been thinking about wheat a lot since I was reading the forum yesterday.
    I have exhibited a lot of very addictive behaviour during my life and have chosen to eliminate a lot of things in recent years.
    The trouble is I usually replace one addiction with another. I actually cannot bear the thought of giving wheat up, which probably is a danger signal right there.

cobweb

yes, Aphrodite, that sounds familiar
    Also, yes, it IS sad that I have been 'half-living' but what is sadder still is that I sort of feel that if I start a 'new life' I will see lots and lots of things that aren't right with my existing one that will need to be changed......it'll be a lot of work with some pain along the way I fear

Glad my post started such an interesting thread .

Cobweb - don't beat yourself up, it IS frightening to give up foods, even if you're someone who never had weight issues (are there people out there who actually haven't???). I've had issues with restricting food/binging (though nothing like bulimia, thank goodness!) since I was 14, so trying to restrict anything to lose weight just backfires on me. I love the concept of a raw food diet but have tried several times to go high raw and backfired every time, though like you, I try to incorporate as much raw food as possible both for health and convenience.

When I get into the "gotta lose a few pounds panic" (usually after a cycle of binging/restricting) I "experiment" with all kinds of restrictions that just don't work for me. This last time around got me back to being lacto/ovo for a short time because I wanted to cut out all fruit and grains to lose weight (which worked for me several years ago as an omni). Ironically, what got me back to veganism was not weight but ethics - I just felt miserable, knowing the little that I know about how animals are treated, eating dairy and eggs. So I went off of it and now I'm back to a more whole foods vegan diet and am much happier.

Aphrodite - it's true that addictive behavior is a problem, especially with food, as you replace one with another.I've certainly done that. It goes for food obsessions with me too. If it's not raw food, it's low carb or some other junk. Right now I'm trying without restricting food groups and just eat whole natural vegan foods. I'm hoping spiritually and emotionally this will give me some kind of balance, as I don't feel I've had that at all this past year (some personal issues which are now hopefully coming to an end).

Tam

cobweb

Gosh, Tam, you're just like me!

I can feel very positive (as I did earlier today) and then something will happen (today it was my son keeping me dangling on a string as I had promised to help him with some projects but he kept busying himself with other things ) - and, bang, my head goes again and the first reaction is 'what kinda crap can I shove down my throat now?'

Actually I am seriously wondering if the best thing would be just to eat exactly what I want (oh, carrot cake, please!) and treat myself like a V.I.P and then go and walk for miles and miles (when son is at school ) to burn it off! . Cos I can't get much worse than I am now, and that's with a real food obsession .

I often feel that wheat is giving me all kinds of congestion. But I live in America! And..and...I just discovered fried wheat gluten!
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Hi Cobweb,
    Sorry I didn't catch this earlier (like last year... ).

I actually tried the kind of eating you're describing a few years ago. I read "Intuitive Eating" and decided I was going to eat what I felt like, the only restriction being that it would be vegan. I bought some snacks that I normally don't keep in the house and made quickie meals like burritos, pasta, etc. The problem was actually not that I binged on the snacks (I was actually able to keep to normal portions - the theory is that if you ban the foods you like from your house, you'll crave them. Once you have them and eat them regularly, they become just a natural part of your diet without overeating). It was that I ate meals that weren't very healthy - a lot of white stuff, not a lot of veggies or fruits.

I figured that there is just no way for me but to follow a whole foods based, minimum junk food vegan diet and limit my grains. I have a hard time with grains (even whole grains) because I love them and the usual portion sizes aren't enough. What's weird is that I'm fine with fruit. So I've replaced a lot of the grains I used to eat with meals with fruit and it seems to work very well. I've lost some weight, though I don't weigh myself so I can't say how much.

The more important thing, though, is that I've been entirely binge-free for 4 weeks and I don't have any of those cravings now. I can think about junk food (vegan or not) and sort of linger on it but then just pass the thought up. It doesn't have me running to the 7-11 on the corner in a panic anymore .

Tam

Jippia

Tam, I think it is great that you are doing so well.