Thread: Working Out On A Vegan Diet...

kidturbo

Red face Working Out On A Vegan Diet...

Hello! and for my first thread........

ive begun to become more conscience about my fitness and esspecially trying to make what wobbles.. well.. not wobble...

but what i need to know is what foods are best to eat to keep on track whilst excercising.. as i'm completly aware that the vegan diet if not favoured by body builders..

if anyone can shed some light on this that'd be great... mostly on the possibility of building stomach muscles etc...

thanks for reading.

kid

Default Re: Working Out On A Vegan Diet...

Veganism is generally fine for muscle training. Most people don't need to change their diets to unless they want to build crazy former Arnie style muscle. In this case, like with omnivores, you will need some kind of dietary supplement like a plant protein powder. Try:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/opening.htm

http://www.veganfitness.net/
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Last year I had a gym test at school. In the book it was written that it was important for people that was excercising to eat beans, peas, lentils, oat, barly,nuts and seeds to gain muscles.

Good sperm

I eat a high-carb wholegrain diet and I pay no attention to protein. I run 12-15 miles a week and gain muscle really easily, so don't worry about it. Plenty of fruit and veg, avoid processed stuff if you can, wholegrain unrefined (high GI) carbs and you'll be fine

I agree with absentmindedfan. Also make sure you eat enough.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

I suggest eating 5-7 times a day, smallish meals, rather than 3 big meals. This will increase your metabolism which is important if you're serious.

cobweb

Absentmindedfan, and this thread, have inspired me to start eating better and working out again (something i have neglected for years ). Thanks

Good sperm

Thankyou cobweb
    If I can run 15 miles a week anyone can! Just build up slowly and stop if anything hurts.

Quote MarkAnthony View Post
    Veganism is generally fine for muscle training. Most people don't need to change their diets to unless they want to build crazy former Arnie style muscle. In this case, like with omnivores, you will need some kind of dietary supplement like a plant protein powder. Try:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/opening.htm

http://www.veganfitness.net/

thanks! i know someone that just recently turned vegetarian (and with my influence...probably vegan) who is big into working out and would like to defy the stereotype of vegetarian/vegan wimpiness...until he read some literature i gave him, he'd always believed that the only real protein you could get was through meat...

Quote Glossgirl View Post
    Last year I had a gym test at school. In the book it was written that it was important for people that was excercising to eat beans, peas, lentils, oat, barly,nuts and seeds to gain muscles.
    Me and Corum work out at the gym and do weights all the time. We eat the foods mentioned above before we go or a couple of bananas.
    Silent but deadly :p

Kidturbo - you might find this thread about Scott Jurek relevant.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Does anyone know of a menu of meals for folks just starting to focus on a lot of exercise AND just starting the vegan lifestyle? I think I'm doing ok so far, I would like something more structured though. I worry that because I'm just starting this that I'll miss a nutrient somewhere. I'm so worried about not eating animal products that I'm not focusing enough on a balanced vegan diet.

And Kidturbo thanks so much for this post! I almost just started a thread about the same thing.

Holland and Barret do a vegan protein powder which,if you are doing a lot of excercise,i would recommend taking!An hour 3 or 4 times a week in the gym isn't going to maybe warrent it but if you intent on doing a lot more than that or your job entails it like mine does then make sure you increase your protein (as well as your carb) intake!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!