Thread: Hereford - where is best for a vegan lunch?

Default Hereford - where is best for a vegan lunch?

Thinking of a day out to Hereford tomorrow - when I was veggie I went to All Saints but had read somewhere it does fish now and not much vegan?

Anyone know wheres good for lunch? I dont know if Fodders health shop is still there or if it does have a cafe?

Any good museums there? have been to the cider factory tour before but not in several years!

Thanks

Default Re: Hereford - where is best for a vegan lunch?

G'day Alison!

I took myself for a day out in Hereford about 1year ago, and went to Nutters cafe http://www.vegan3counties.org.uk/ and another new (well, it was a year ago!) place which is't on the local website*..but erm, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, and it's a bit of a walk (manageable, but there's not much you'd want to see up that end of town as far as i can tell. I just happened to discover it on my way back from the Firestation as I'd gone to an open day there!)..so it's between the main part of town and the firestation..Sorry I'm being utterly useless, I'll have a scout around on google and see if i can try and figure out what and where it is for you.

*Yes, you read that correctly, I went for lunch at two separate places in one day. And yes, I am greedy...And yes, I did almost burst..but oh was I ever happy with my Vegan yumminess!

Lakini

the volunteer i think thats the place your on about isnt it, lakini??

having worked in hereford for about 11yrs it is a disgrace that i have never been to 'the volly' but it is supposed to be good old fashion pub grub but with some vegan options.

there is a big whetherspoons just down from the station if stuck.

i wouldnt go to 'all saints' it's shit. they have no consideration for vegans at all.

nutters is pretty cool little place, but you can get caught out there too, occasionally you find they have no vegan options. it is down a little passage up the same street as fodders. Yes, fodders is still there, they sold out to one of the national chains (healthstore or something??) not as good as it used to be, they often have fresh made vegan sandwiches (so if its nice you can go and sit by the catherdral and eat your grub.

there is another place called 'the marches' which is the back of mcdonalds, just off st owens street, they do take away salads and jckt spuds etc. they often often have a few vegan things there, they have even had carrot cake in the past. Although i didnt 100% trust them, they didnt seem to have any idea what they were on about
    I dont get crunchy people?

Erm, I'm not sure about the Volunteer, that name doesn't ring a bell..It's a cafe type place on a main-ish road on the left if you're heading from town towards the fire precinct..It's been there about a year, and has a lil courtyard with a waterfall out the back (but it's def not a pub)..

Yeah, I tried All Saints that day too but walked out again coz it didn't seem Vegan friendly at all..But it was nice to look around the cathedral itself.

ah ok, not heard of that place. there used to be a place along that road called 'doodies' that did vegan stuff. but that got bought out last year and now doesnt do vegan stuff.

the volunteer, is out near the fire station down one of the back streets, not exactly sure where.
    I dont get crunchy people?

Thank you both - as long as weathers ok and i manage to get up early (hard task on a week off work!) I might well go - trains seem dire from me to Hford - seems to involve hours wait at Worcs, never use to be that bad! Will have a browse round Nutters, Fodders and see if i see the mystery vegan friendly place (cant be hard to find if i head towards fire station)

Alison

Al, I'm really sorry but I can't find the place I'm thinking of..I've tried googling it (and it should've been easy enough to find coz it was touted as having a holistic therapies slant on the side, so that should narrow the options) but alas, nothing.

I'll drop you a line tomorrow if i have any joy..Just hope the weather holds for you!!

Hi

Thanks again for info useful for future visits - think il be going one Sat now as can use railcard then. Found out I cant use it before 10am to get cheap travel so think I will now be going to Stratford upon Avon for a day out!

Found a Malaysian restaurant that does vegan food that sounds good, or theres a big health shop that does vegan take out wraps.

Want to go to the haunted house museum there, and trains are direct one an hour compared to 1 non direct every 2 hours to Hereford

Alison

Quote alisont View Post
    Found a Malaysian restaurant that does vegan food that sounds good, or theres a big health shop that does vegan take out wraps.

Is there? Cool ! What's it called and where is it? We often struggle to find something quick when we're there.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Its here:

http://www.georgetownrestaurants.co....gtsf_lunch.htm

It was very quiet today as most people were outside in the sun at the riverside pubs.

Very clean and very friendly, the waiter explained there is only one starter (they were out of) and one main the tofu clay pot that were vegan, so i had that and an exotic fruit salad for pud. The food was very tasty not rich just right - coconut rice was wow! the chef came out to ask if i was ok with coconut milk!

Apart from the health shop take out wraps i have struggled in Stratford for vegan food - this is a nice alternative, he did say if i went in the evening there is more option and with advance notice chef will try to remove the odd bit of dairy he uses from other veggie dishes to make them vegan

Evening menu has more vegan things - all sound nice:

http://www.georgetownrestaurants.co....dinner_veg.htm

I was told the tim sum started is vegan, the pepper and asparagus and vege tempura (just tell chef no egg batter he can do non egg!)
    The 2 main stir fry dishes and the clay pot are def vegan, they dont use msg or oyster sauce either.

They are linked to Coconut lagoon a couple of doors away - I reckon with advance notice that might be an option too eve menu has vegan options there?

The take out buritto wraps - 5 bean and very nice are from the health shop Revital between the town and train station on Greenhill St, good range of vegan foods there. About 5 mins walk from main streets in town. Postcodes CV37 6LF (if needed to google map it!)

http://www.coconutlagoon.com/index.htm

It was a good day to visit Stratford all nice and sunny

Am thinking of a trip to Hereford, as it's a while since the last post, can anyone update me on vegan options in Hereford, in particular does anyone know if the Volunteer Inn still offers a vegan Sunday lunch? Thanks

Alisont,
    I thought you were talking about a health food shop in Hereford (given the thread title). Now I understand you were talking about stratford. :-(
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

FYI - the volunteer still offer the vegan nut roast and it is the best! Sooo delicious