Thread: How to help someone gain weight/best foods

Default How to help someone gain weight/best foods

My sister in law is vegetarian but is saying that she might have to go off of it because she is tired/weak and too thin, but she's not even sure what the cause is. I know that the real issue is that she is not eating well. She eats a lot of things like white pasta, Eggo's waffles, soda, etc. but eats some healthy things too like salads, soymilk, falafel, etc. However, she is not eating ENOUGH food and so I know she is not getting enough calories or nutrients. She just picks at her food and never finishes it. I estimate that she gets about 1000 -1500 calories a day, and she is BREASTFEEDING, so any nutrients are going right to the baby (who is healthy/good weight). She is 102 pounds.
    So, anyway I told her that I would help her with her diet to help her get in more nutrients and calories so that she won't give up her vegetarian diet. (Not that eating meat could make anything better! seriously...)
    I made her a shake today with chocolate soymilk, almond butter, and protein powder. And then I made her a brown rice and veggie pilaf with a ton of ground up nuts and seeds mixed in.
    Any tips for trying to help a person get in more calories and nutrients without them having to eat a load (bc she can't)?? What are some tricks/superfoods that can make a thin person fat quickly?? (I'm so used to planning meals with the opposite intent.)
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

cobweb

Default Re: How to help someone gain weight/best foods

I would say nuts but are you supposed to eat them whilst breasfeeding (because of the allergy risk?).

I think that it is a good idea to aim to eat a larger number of smaller seeming amounts during the day. Maybe the idea of eating a larger amount for her is most difficult. Dried fruit as snacks, bananas and avocado etc..are good.

After breakfast she must make sure she has an elevenses to keep her going until lunchtime. She could have a nice big lump of wholemeal bread with something she likes on it and a good cup of hot soya milk with molasses.

Plenty of brightly coloured veggies at lunchtime she could make a big supply of hummous to dip in to and could have that with crackers later on in the afternoon if she gets peckish.

I'm just describing my life here!! Healthy snacking can only be good!

I'm having the same problem as your sister in law. I was 12 stone before I went Vegan and now I'm 9 stone. The weight loss was quite dramatic after I stopped almost all sweets and meat, but it has somewhat steadied at 9 stone.

I've been trying to eat a lot more potatoes, pasta and bread lately but I can't seem to gain any more weight! I even got a protein powder for all my food. Does any have any more advice?

does she have other issues that are making her not eat...(post-partum stress?)

or any other health issues?

because that could be the underlying cause of her anorexia (genral term for not-eating, not giving a diagnosis here)...

she is weak and lethargic because she is breastfeeding and she needs to know that eating meat will not make her feel better.

she needs to eat more for her health and the baby's.

try making her some meals & bringing them over!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Just thought i would add that after my little fella was born and i was breastfeeding him it took me ages to get eating properly again and i LOVE my food - i mean i really LOVE food! (I plan menus for the week ahead, love preparing nice meals etc my husband says i'm obsessed with cooking!) It is the only time in my life i have actually forgotten about eating!! Simply because he gave me no time to think about it!! I was just grabbing what i could when i could - very frustrating for me!

BUT had i had such a wonderful sister in law like you are actually cooking me food - and healthy vegan food at that - i would have been elated, exstatic infact i would have had you move in for a few months at least!! I would definately go with what others have said if she cant stomach lots - small frequent meals would be the way to go plenty of variety (veg fruit beans carbs etc) and make it tasty so its enticing for her. About the nut thing - it is said that if there is any allergies in the family that it might be wise to aviod nuts while pregnant and breastfeeding but to be honest i dont personally put a lot of store by that advice and would eat nuts etc regardless but that would be a decision for you sis in law to make for her and her baba!! Just see what she wants.

Anyway - you are a complete amazing star doing that for her - wow - i will have to root out someone like you if i ever have another baba!! Good luck with it!

Thanks for the advice everyone. She gets full easily and never finishes meals, but since she told me she likes the smoothies, I'm going to keep making her them out of chocolate soymilk. I also had a ton of almond pulp that is the byproduct of when I make almond milk, and it is delicious but too many calories for me to eat it all myself, so I've been giving it to her to put on top of her cereal, etc. I also made her a grocery-idea list of foods that are particularly nutrient dense and caloric and I told her to avoid buying white, refined stuff. I'll keep everyone posted on how she's doing.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

I remember losing a lot of weight after giving birth to my youngest, i was either rushing around or sleeping, food wasnt top of my list so the weight just dropped of. I hope she starts to feel better soon.
    If she cant eat a lot in one go she should try to at least grab a snack between meals to keep her going. (i havent read replies so sorry if someone has already said that )

id suggest eating nuts, seeds, and avocados. Also, incorporating coconut oil or coconut milk into her diet would also help her get some nutrients.

If she's eating unhealthy try to get her to eat more fruits and veggies!! It's very important if she's breastfeeding!

Quote jjdaiquiri View Post
    does she have other issues that are making her not eat...(post-partum stress?)

or any other health issues?

because that could be the underlying cause of her anorexia (genral term for not-eating, not giving a diagnosis here)...

she is weak and lethargic because she is breastfeeding and she needs to know that eating meat will not make her feel better.

she needs to eat more for her health and the baby's.

try making her some meals & bringing them over!
    I agree with jjdaiquiri.
    Also, if she can eat more often, whenever she feels like it, would be good. Try offering her juicy dates, avocadoes, bananas, sweet puddings, mousses and the like.
    She may be too tired to cook her own meals so bringing meals over or cooking for her when you visit will be a big help.
    Also prepare for her some rich bean and pulse based dishes.
    Smoothies could give her indigestion if she gets full easily but try them on her by all means.
    Tell her that as she is breastfeeding she needs to have full fat everything. Breast milk is high in fat and she needs high fat fooods. Healthy fats of course!
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/