Thread: Tomatoes - can you have too much of a good thing?

Default Tomatoes - can you have too much of a good thing?

Hi folks

I'm growing about 9 varieties of tomatoes - quite a lot of plants of each (my germination rate was incredibly high and once they started growing I couldn't bear not to plant them up). Once they start to crop, I will have a LOT of tomatoes! Some will get preserved, but I'll planning on eating a lot more than usual.

So, this got me wondering - can you eat too many of them? I'll be eating them pretty much every day, mostly raw. I eat a lot of tomatoes normally, both raw and cooked, with no adverse reaction .... but I'm planning on eating lots more than usual

Does anyone have a recipe for a fab tomato chutney to brighten up my winter meals?

thanks

Default Re: Tomatoes - can you have too much of a good thing?

I don't think you can eat too many tomatoes - they're high in vitamin C, home grown and in season, making them good for you

However if you're eating a lot I presume you'd be missing out on other food you'd normally eat, therefore cutting down on the variety you might normally get...

I'm a bit envious actually, I'd love my own tomato crop...

Enjoy!!!!

pavotrouge

There is no such thing as too many tomatoes- I'd be happy to have so many, too!

I remember my brother eating a lot of raw tomatoes as a kid so the corners of his mouth became way too sensitive eventually... but apart from that: dig in!

i looooooove tomatoes! i buy so many every time i go shopping that i've even had the cashier comment on it, lol

i found a couple of recipes on google for a tomato chutney, but i've never tried them:
    spicy tomato chutney - you may want to replace the white sugar with another type or leave it out altogether
    chutney-indian style
    (i don't know what some of the ingredients for that chutney are, so check that they're all vegan and make substitutions if necessary)

but...my one of my absolute favorite recipes is for a tomato-eggplant dip (which you can make in large quantities and freeze if you'd like):

ingredients:
    2 medium eggplants/aubergines
    2lbs tomatoes
    1 medium-lage red onion
    1/2 a garlic (or 1 tablespoon minced garlic from a jar)
    olive oil
    salt to taste
    cumin to taste

method:
    -cut the eggplant into small-medium cubes and fry in the olive oil until soft (according to the traditional recipe, it should be broiled at 450 degrees F until soft...about 10 minutes, so you could choose whether to fry or broil)
    -while the eggplant is frying, cup up the onion and add it in
    -while the eggplant and onion continue to fry, cup up the tomatoes, and add them in only for a little bit of time.
    -remove from heat and let cool
    -add cumin and salt to taste
    -use either a blender or food processor to blend everything...i prefer to leave it slightly chunky
    -note: you can use more or less of the tomatoes, eggplant, onion and garlic depending on what you have or depending on your taste

you can use it to dip bread or chips, to wrap in a pita, or anything else that you can think of...i frequently just eat it with a spoon
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

pavotrouge

yumm DancingWillow, all three recipes sound heavenly!

BlackCats

My friend just gave me some tomato, cucumber and pepper plants tonight!

Someone told me that eating too many tomatoes can be bad because the seeds can get stuck in intestines or something.
    I ignored this anyway, I eat tomatoes at least once a day.

Tomatoes can cause diarrhea or heartburn if you have too many but that may not happen to you.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Too many tomatoes? Probably not. I never met a tomato I didn't like.
    And alas I have arrived, like a whirlwind at a kindergarten picnic.

Some people believe they can make arthritis and related conditions worse. Google tomatoes arthritis for more.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Every year I grow faaaar too many tomatoes, I still havent even got half way through all the green tomato chutney I made from last years crop and the next lot is going to be coming up soon, I'll have a look for the recipe I used as I'll be needing it myself at some point.

You could also try drying them, I've done it before by putting the oven on the slow cook setting then putting halved tomatoes on a baking tray into the oven for a few hours... although it's probably a terrible waste of gas/electricity. I'm going to try sun-drying this year.

Thanks for the replies everyone - I can tuck in happily now!

Risker - I'm going to freeze and dry lots of them .... I've got a dehydrator, as well as the Southern France sunshine look forward to seeing the chutney recipe if you find it.

how about making pasta sauce? that's what everyone over here does in summer....buy/harvest tons of tomatoes, then seed and peel them, cook with lots of salt and some basil and put into sterilised bottles---->pasta sauce supply for the whole year
    Piggy

Quote herbwormwood View Post
    Some people believe they can make arthritis and related conditions worse. Google tomatoes arthritis for more.
    Fruit and veg and a vegan diet all help reduce the chance of its onset. If you are unlucky enough to suffer it maybe then try a reduction test to see if the symptoms subside.
    Tomatoes are very, very cool. My only problem is that, like strawberries, we in the UK now have to pay daft money for fruit that tastes of anything (f*ck off "Taste the Difference"). If you can grow your own then you're double favourite.

I am encouraged by the notion that Brighton will probably be a little like Provence on Sea in my daughter's lifetime..

Actually, nightshade vegetables, including tomatoes, eggplants, etc., can aggrevate a few inflammatory conditions, but not cause.

I am so alone on this one. I can't eat tomatoes raw, they have to be cooked or pickled in some form for me to eat that alien fruit. They taste so odd to me. weird, eh?
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

My brother is that same way-hates them raw. I am the opposite. I LOVE them raw, and not so mush cooked.

cobweb

i'm having to stop eating them because they really upset my stomach. My son has recently had to give up tomato ketchups/sauces because they trigger acid reflux for him .

tomatoes in all forms are pretty much at the top of my list for favorite foods. snivelingchild, i didnt know that about the inflammitory problems. i hope theyre not bad for my asthma than.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

sugarmouse

They deftinitly can give you severe trots apart from that, I dont thik you can overdose on tomatos.

my fave way to get through a glut of toms is brushetta.

bake a ciabatta then slice it into 1 inch slices.
    lightly toast both sides then rub a garlic clove over one side.
    chop up fine toms, spring onions (or red onion chopped fine) & olive oil - load ciabbata slices with tom mix.
    season & add a drizzle of chilli oil over the top if you like.

this is a bit of a regular friday night supper for us

that sounds DELICIOUS cedarblue.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

ooh i love bruschetta.

i do find tomatoes can bring out mouth ulcers and give me heartburn sometimes though.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

cobweb

yes, Gorilla, after getting fed up with having to nurse my son with terrible heartburn (poor lad ) i turned detective and found out that it was his beloved ketchup causing it. One week without and he's looking healthier than he has for a long time - rosy cheeks, happy, no heartburn! . I have to say he was going through gallons of ketchup .