Thread: Raw books and info for getting started

Default Raw books and info for getting started

Just recently I have been thinking about my diet and the fact that I don't eat any processed foods etc and I think that I could start to transition over to raw - I would call myself a Rawby (who knows why that goes through my head when I think of it?). Anyway, can anyone recommend some good books (with simple recipes) that explain it and exactly what you need to do - like an Eating Raw for Dummies or something. I know a lot of vegan info after 12 years but have NO IDEA about what to do to be raw.

Thanks!!!
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Default Re: Raw books and info for getting started

have you tried putting raw food, raw diet or raw life into an amazon search??

i only have alissa cohen's book (which is pretty big and costs £&#163 and the garden diet e-books, i am hoping to expand my collection too.

Thanks Cedarblue. I was just wondering if there was an essential resource that explains it all from the beginning assuming that the reader knows nothing. Even with vegan books there are so many differing in quality so I just thought there might be recommendations for a beginner's 'bible?'

Yeah, I'd like to see that too. Something that talks about how to keep a balanced diet.
    What do you mean, "why am I vegan?"

have you heard of 'eat more raw' by steve charter?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...s=eat+more+raw

i found it a good starter book which also looks at the permaculture and sustainability aspects of eating raw too.

Rawvolution by Matt Amsden.

SUPERB BOOK for raw foodists!!

here is a link to either download the garden diet documentary, 'breakthrough' or subsribe to the news/tv channel. i subscribe and have found the dvd inspiring.

you can watch the mini trailer too.

http://naturalparadigms.com/documentaries/

I'm thinking of converting gradually and have no idea where to start - I am going to do some research.
    The only thing I am worried about is if it is very expensive as we have limited funds at the moment!
    Silent but deadly :p

here are a couple of really useful websites

www.rawliving.co.uk

www.rawfoods.com

If your library is online, visit their website, put "raw" into the searcher and see what they have in stock.. If they don't have it in stock, as them to order it for you. That way you can read it before you buy.

Hemlock - raw eating doesn't need to be expensive, providing you plan well what you are going to eat to ensure you get all your nutrients - often you just eat the food that you would have eaten cooked, but raw. Goodle "raw recipes" and there are a whole loads of scrummy things to make, that aren't too heavy on the pocket.

Good luck.

Wow, thanks Aradia! Those websites look great I'll start making a few recipes next week and see how we get on.

Thanks so much everyone. I'll look into all of that. I really appreciate the help.

Can anyone tell me if organic unrefined peanut butter and tahini in jars is raw? I've been eating them assuming they are and it doesn't say on the jar

i think it will actually needs to say raw on the jar - i've seen it somewhere, i;ll check it out...

Default Getting Started With Raw :)

Regarding "RAW" nut and seed butters.....It will say that the nut/seed butters are RAW if indeed they are Raw. Some are on the shelves in the grocery store near the other nut/seed butters and some are actually in the refrigerated section (typically a company by the name of Living Tree Community who puts out fabulous Raw butters - not cheap though)

IS RAW EXPENSIVE?

No, living the Raw lifestyle is not expensive. In the beginning stages, it can seem expensive, but in the long run it is not for the following reasons:
    • During the beginning period, when you are new to Raw, you're trying a lot of new recipes and you typically don’t have all of the ingredients on hand, so you’re frequently buying new ingredients as you stock up your pantry. Once you’re stocked up with all the appropriate seasonings, herbs and ingredients (things like Raw agave nectar, Raw chocolate, Raw carob, etc) then you will only purchase them from time to time.
    • After some time you will probably find the recipes you really like and basically stick to those. Although you still try new ones, especially as the seasons change, you probably won't make as many new and different dishes as you do when you are new to Raw.
    • Living the Raw lifestyle means not eating out at restaurants very often. This alone can save you a lot of money.
    • The equipment cost you pay in the beginning can add up, but just remember you probably won't buy these things again (or for a very long time), especially if you purchase high quality equipment to start. Keep in mind, you do not have to pay a lot of money for your kitchen equipment when you are just beginning if you can’t afford it. Don’t let that stop you. Use what you have or buy what you can afford. Then, when the time comes, start equipping your kitchen with higher quality kitchen tools to facilitate the Raw lifestyle. Ask for these gifts for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, etc.
    • For some people, the transition to Raw can be challenging (cravings for cooked food, pressure from outsiders, advertising galore about the former foods you used to eat). It can almost feel as if you are depriving yourself at times or that you're on a "diet" as opposed to “living a lifestyle.” To compensate for the mental anguish some people experience, they find themselves trying all kinds of Raw stuff, including elaborate and rich recipes (all varied and all needing different ingredients, of course), super foods, books, videos, etc. It is almost as if people do this to keep their minds preoccupied to help facilitate the lifestyle change they are undergoing. Additionally, you may find yourself making all kinds of food for others to sample (in getting them to understand and support you, or maybe just trying to impress them). This is all perfectly natural if you ask me, but it can increase the cost of going Raw. Just be mindful of it.
    • Remember the things you will not be buying, which will save you money. Meat is expensive. Prescriptions are expensive. Processed and packaged food is expensive. Going to restaurants is expensive. Doctor and dentist co-pays and bills are expensive. Being sick and staying home from work is expensive. Not having enough energy to really pay attention to your kids and be there for them 100% is expensive.
    GETTING STARTED
    Getting started is easy. One of the things I love about this lifestyle is that it can be applied to anyone, at any stage of their life and you can start to feel better immediately. Another exciting aspect about this lifestyle is that there are so many food choices food that it will never get boring.

Everyone knows that we should be eating more fresh whole foods, like fruits and vegetables, right? Well, now it's really exciting to do that because you're not just eating carrot and celery sticks. Raw cuisine has made fruits and veggies really delicious and fun. You find yourself looking forward to the food because it tastes great.

First of all, don’t limit yourself with how much Raw food you eat, especially in the beginning. Just eat what you need and what you feel is natural. Your body will guide you.

Some people go cold turkey, and some people enter the Raw lifestyle gradually. When taking the gradual approach, some people choose to split each day between Raw meals and non-raw meals. This is the way that I found worked best for me...

If you are new to Raw…Start out by picking one day a week (or more if you want) to eat 100% Raw all day long. You'll see how easy it is and how amazing you feel that you'll be excited to do it more than one day a week, maybe two to three days. After that, you start increasing to one week straight, then two weeks, then up to a month (leaving a little wiggle room here and there, for times you just "can't" do it, perhaps due to social situations). Find what works for you.

The reason this plan worked better for me, as opposed to just gradually adding Raw food into each day's diet, was that I was finding it too hard to give up the addictive cooked food. I found that, if I had even just a little bit of cooked food in the course of a day, it was a slippery slope — it made me want to eat more and more cooked food throughout the day. It worked much better for me to completely eliminate all cooked food for one whole day at a time.

And remember, if you fall off the bandwagon, don’t worry, just get right back on. Every single minute of every day is a chance to start new.

BREAKFAST
    Here are some examples of what I do for an awesomely energizing Organic Raw breakfast. When I’m short on time, I eat fresh fruit. For example, I’ll eat two, three or four bananas. I’m also a huge fan of smoothies. My morning smoothies are usually made of a few pieces of fruit and a little water. Delicious, fast, simple, inexpensive, and nourishing. You'll feel great.

LUNCH
    Lunch has many options available. Sometimes I eat a giant salad with a creamy Raw dressing. Other times I drink a big green fruit smoothie so I’m getting nourishing minerals from the greens while receiving energy and vitamins from the fruit. A typical green smoothie for me has 2 handfuls of leafy greens (spinach for example) with 2-3 pieces of fruit and 1-2 cups of water - all blended. Other times, I have Raw soup alongside some flax crackers and raw cheese spread. (2 great raw soup recipes available on my blog).

DINNER
    This is a special time for eating because this is usually when people sit down with their families. There are many options for entrees. From simple entrees such as pate stuffed in fresh red bell peppers, garden burgers or zucchini pasta marinara to more gourmet options like pizza, lasagna, or quiche. (Delicious pesto recipe on my blog)

DESSERTS
    Pretty much every dessert you'd normally cook, you can make Raw and it's super easy, in fact, it's usually easier! I don't know many people who do not like desserts. I have pies, cakes, cookies, cobblers, ice cream, mousse, cheesecake, and more.

Hope this helps
    You might want to see my blog for some great recipes and more tips about the Raw lifestyle. I update it frequently...in fact I'll be posting more recipes this week.

As for the equipment to get started...I'll make a special post for that later.

Cheers!

Kristen Suzanne
    -------
    www.KristensRaw.com
    www.KristensRaw.blogspot.com

I'm with you Chickpea, I think eating more raw food/meals is going to be a goal of mine.

Thanks for the links and info Kristen

My pleasure. Email me if you have any questions along the way, I'm happy to help. Cheers!

i have detox your world. great book. i adore shazzie. i wish shed come out with a book on how to be a cheap raw foodist. i think that would be an amazing idea. i would definitely buy it. i would be raw if i had the money and health to be able to get all the raw food id need.

i love raw foods. i love making wraps with different lettuces and i love dried treats. (i make these great raw "burgers) and i love smoothies. those are some of my favorite raw things.

i have another raw book but i forget what its called. ill post it when i look at what the title is.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb