Thread: Vegan yogurt

Default Vegan yogurt

Does anybody know of any really good vegan yogurt? Somebody recommended that I try Silk's brand but I would like a second opinion before I buy it.

Default Re: Vegan yogurt

Silk brand is ok... but I like the Stonyfield Farm vegan yogurt a lot better, it says Soy or O'Soy on the front I think. It's creamy.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

i really like silk. i don't remember if i've tried the stonyfield farm one. i also remember i tried a soy yogurt from a different but not so well-known brand and i don't remember which one it was.

what i really would like is a vegan yogurt from almond milk or rice milk so that i can still eat yogurt (which i LOVE) but avoid soy...

if anyone can help (either with a recipe or if they know of a brand), i'd very much appreciate it
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Mahk

I know that Silk and other soy yogurts are vegan, but my question is where do you get the live active cultures in them if not from real dairy yogurt?

I don't know if you get Alpro in US but that is great- esp the summer fruit flavour!
    To you it's food; To them it's life

Theres a tasty one by soysun with cultures in it....
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

alpro and granovita(have they changed name?) yogurts are very tasty.
    the bacteria are naturally everywhere, making home made yogurt is easy(ish, you can make solid French style or runny English...

I recently found out that the soy yoghurt that I ate from time to time is not vegan It's because the cultures in it come from a dairy source. STUPID! It's Olympic Soy Yogurt if anyone's in Canada and interested.

Im currently obsessed with So Nice's plain soy yogurt. We use it as sour cream in taco/nacho dishes, have it with falafel, in smoothies, it's divine.

Quote onebigvegan View Post
    alpro and granovita(have they changed name?) yogurts are very tasty.
    the bacteria are naturally everywhere, making home made yogurt is easy(ish, you can make solid French style or runny English...
    I got a 70s Salton yogurt maker at a thrift shop (actually I have two, but not all of the cups); it's basically five glass cups with lids over a low-heat heating element.

I used it when I was an omni to make both soy and dairy yogurt; I actually liked the soy better, even then.

My Czechoslovakian peasant grandmother used to make cheese just by making the curds and then tying them up in a cheesecloth. (Always wondered why they called it cheesecloth.)

A new Vegan yogurt made from Coconuts is now available at Planet Organic & Goodness Direct. Should make a nice change from Soya

Quote Firestorm View Post
    A new Vegan yogurt made from Coconuts is now available at Planet Organic & Goodness Direct. Should make a nice change from Soya
    *buys all of them*

Oi!! Save some for the rest of us

haha oh i decided against it because you have to buy more than six items and if i don't like it then i'm screwed (and poor) so no coconut milk yogurt for me. /cries

JC

Tesco does (did??) a very good plain soya yogurt with bifidus and no added sugar. Recently, however, it has disappeared from the shelves, along with other of the (few) decent products they had. I am fuming!! Damn you, Tesco, could you marginalise vegans any more if you tried?!?!?!

JC - have you seen the thread about the new range at Tesco? The Plain soya yogurt is on there but it looks like they have changed the packaging: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...range-at-Tesco

JC

Ooops, i withdraw my statement!!
    Looks like they've moved the nice yogurt (and changed the packaging)
    And now there is a lovely dairy-free section to be taken advantage of. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. Good, of course, because it means more choice for, and recognition of, vegans... but i can't help but wonder how this will impact on our independent health stores...

I like Provamel lime yoghurt and the vanilla one too. I'd like it if they were fortified (can't get Alpro yoghurts here in Spain) but they taste great and I suppose that's all that matters!
    Houmous atá ann!

I used to very rarely eat Soy and Co yogurts but stopped when I cut down and then out soy. About twice a month, as a treat, I eat SoDelicious greek style coconut milk yogurts. I love the thickness and creaminess of them (I usually get plain or blueberry flavored). At over $2 for a 6 oz container though I can't afford to eat much more than that. But I did fight to get them at a local grocery chain by doing a survey and then writing the manager of the store I shop at regularly. I used to have to get them at the Whole Foods Coop. Imagine my surprise when a month or so after my communication with the manager, they started stocking the shelves with them!!! And in the nondairy organic section away from the dairy stuff which is so nice!