Thread: Glastonbury 2007

Default Glastonbury 2007

Saw this on the news today, if you want a ticket this year you need to register with them between February 1st and 28th and they'll need a passport photo from each person wanting a ticket, the photo will be printed on the tickets themselves.

Tickets are expected to be £150.

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Default Re: Glastonbury 2007

I'd love to go, but can't afford it this year.

Is Vegan food readily available?

Stu

I can't afford it, but I won't allow that mere hurdle to get between me and Glastonbury.

Glasto is pretty much a vegan paradise, Sam. There's loads of choice.
    In fact Glasto is just paradise, full stop.

i'm going to apply because i'm hoping this year will be my first Glastonbury - i've always wanted to go... *fingers crossed*
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Stu

Just a reminder folks, that you can register for a ticket from Thursday:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/tickets/

is it absolutely necessary to buy a ticket nowadays?
    i was lucky the two times i was there (1999 and 2000)...

Stu

Yeah, it's all changed now, with the superfence. You can't just jump over or tunnel under. Anyway, tickets are on sale very soon and I reallllllly want one. If I don't get one, I'll be seriously upset.

It's such a gamble now with all our mates having to try for tickets separately. I don't really fancy going by myself but that could easily happen if I get a ticket and no-one else I know does.

Who do you especailly want to see Stu? There is no-one I haven't seen before who I am desperate to see. I like The Killers I've heard they aren't great live. My crowd was talking about going and staying in the greenfields area for the entire time!

Looks like I've missed the registration deadline. I'll have to watch Glastonbury 2007 on the box, with the volume on max.

Stu

Quote Marrers View Post
    It's such a gamble now with all our mates having to try for tickets separately. I don't really fancy going by myself but that could easily happen if I get a ticket and no-one else I know does.

Who do you especailly want to see Stu? There is no-one I haven't seen before who I am desperate to see. I like The Killers I've heard they aren't great live. My crowd was talking about going and staying in the greenfields area for the entire time!
    Well I don't really go to Glasto for the bands especially; there's no way you can see even probably half of the bands you'd like to at Glasto; it's just too massive and there are too many distractions.

But I'd like to see The Rakes, Smokey Robinson, Shirley Bassey and about a couple of hundred others!

All of this is assuming of course, that I get a ticket, and I don't want to get too complacent about that.

Just a reminder that tickets go on sale at 9AM tomorrow.

400,000 people have registered and theres 175,000 tickets available.

I think alot of people will have registered on the off-chance that they might go but won't actually get a ticket so I think there's a good chance this year of actually getting in.

they never sent me my registration number, and i can't find a way of contacting anyone to find out what to do

ah well, i'm still going to bestival

amanda

Can't even get onto the glastonbury website.

Got my ticket

Stu

NICE ONE RISKER!!!!

Me, Enchantress and Justin also got tickets. Wanna meet up? We could even travel there together if you like. We're going on the Wednesday morning.

We should definately meet up. I'm really sketchy on travel details and who I'm camping with etc. at the moment so I'll have to get back to you on the travel bit.

Anyone else going?

i wish i'd tried to get tickets now
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Remember everyone to post lots of outrageous photos, so those of us who didn't register this year will be first in line in 2008!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i wish i'd tried to get tickets now
    They're selling another batch in late april I think so you might still be able to get a ticket.

thanks but i didn't register in the first place, i had a lot going on in February and registering for Glastonbury didn't seem very important at the time.

The line up has been announced today. *Does a little happy dance*.

That is one HUGE line up. Fortunately there's nothing that I *really* want to see, so that means I can get some good wandering done

Got my tickets today, the pictures on them are terrible, hardly worth doing! Especially when loads of people radically change their appearance before they go.

BlackCats

I have never been to Glastonbury, I think I would go if I knew someone who lived in local area and I could stay at their house at night and avoid horrifying toilets!

I would like to see Killers but I think I'm getting to the age when I look at line ups and think where are all the bands I used to like when I was younger? (sigh heavily)

Stu

1) If you don't camp, you're really missing out on the spirit of the thing;

2) The toilets are fine.

BlackCats

Stu - I agree it would be quite a lame thing to do but its different for girls with toilets, especially if I would be drinking pints of cider, I would have to be in them every hour.
    I have only gone to one day VFestival and I managed to avoid the portaloos for that day.

Stu

OK. But the toilets at Glastonbury are fine. For some reason people seem to write about the event without having actually been.

BlackCats

Loads of people have told me that the toilets are rank at Glastonbury when they went so I was basing it on their opinion but granted this was quite a few years ago maybe they have changed since then.

The toilets at glasto are very unpleasant but you have to remember that it's only a few minutes of the festival and if you get a bad one you can just use another one. The toilet cleanliness is also improving every year because of the bad rep, I expect them to be very clean this year.

Stu

Well they're certainly better than those at just about any other festival. Plus, I am quite adept at knowing how to find the spotless ones...

OK I will be back on once tomorrow before I leave to work at Glastonbury for the charity I work for so if any veg forum people are going ( I know stu is) send me a PM and swap mobiles if you like I will drop by at some stage and say hi.

I am working from 2pm on Sat 16th to Friday 5pm 23rd, then I finish to party, then I restart on Sunday at Midnight through to the Tuesday night at 6pm.

Tata for now

jay
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Had an incredible time at glasto

Highlights were;

• Watching Ghostbusters and the Blues Brothers with about 10,000 other people on the huge outdoor screen with everybody cheering, booing, dancing and singing along.
    • Staying up all night until 8:30AM with a group of random people I met when I couldn't find my tent - We sat under a big tree next to the stone circle in the pouring rain, but it was great fun People kept turning up with instruments, which I attempted to sing along with and play the bongo's (badly).
    • Bumping into people I'd met the night before who knew who I was but I had no clue who they were.
    • Getting covered in mud - It doesn't sound like much fun but once you accept that you're going to get muddy and there's nothing you can do about it it can be fun, like going back to being a child and thinking that jumping in puddles is fun.

• Having a choice of hundreds of places to eat, nearly all of them with plamil mayonaisse (such a small thing but it's nice to be able to eat the sauces available like everyone else)
    • Meeting up with some other muddy vegans

• Wandering into a place called the Pussy Parlure not knowing what to expect.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1gKEAOrqcgU

(Loads of 80's music and people dancing crazily in a place that served no alcohol whatsoever.)
    • Seeing loads of great bands, many of which I can't even put a name to, I think I only managed to see one full set the entire time I was there, there was so much going on.
    • Seeing all the amazing sculptures in the green fields.

• Dragging my friends to a quiet bar that was open till 3AM when they were about to quit for the night because they thought everything was closed.
    • Seeing a half naked girl on the last day (It's not a proper glastonbury until you've seen someone naked! )

She looks a bit depressed in that photo but believe me she was having a whale of a time dancing round with just her knickers on - I'd post another photo to prove it but it's a bit too revealing for this bit of the forum.
    • Seeing a JCB getting stuck in the mud - Not a good sign!

I've got loads more pictures and video's I can post if anyones interested enough.

glad you had a good time, Risker - i was wondering how you guys got on.

Yeah, tell us all about it and show us the pics - it's the Glasto thread after all!

I am especially interested to know how Stu has managed to keep his white shirt pristine while Enchantress is mud splattered.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    Yeah, tell us all about it and show us the pics - it's the Glasto thread after all!

I am especially interested to know how Stu has managed to keep his white shirt pristine while Enchantress is mud splattered.
    Haha, I did actually question stu about his shirt, I too was wearing a totally out of place clean white t-shirt at one point but it felt wrong so when I got my hands dirty I wiped them on it to fit in

Here's an evil wicker man

Flag, moon and Wickerlady

Elephant made of empty milk cartons.

John Peel Stage under about 4 Inches of water

Very muddy people

At the stone circle (you can just about make it out, it's surrounded by people)

Banksy's stone henge replica made of portaloos

The other stage

Muddy boots

Madness' secret gig

Jazz stage

Hundreds of flags

The Chapel in Lost Vagueness, here you can get married, divorced or even have your own funeral

Security robot guarding the toilets

Great pics Risker - thankyou!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

they're ACE pics risker..also was most impressed by stu's whiter than white shirt..post more!
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Stu

Well of course, Glasto was mind-meltingly amazing, despite the atrocious weather. The only major downside is that it's a whole year until the next one.

I'm now trying to deal with the legendary 'Glasto Comedown,' i.e. you always feel really weird for about a week or so after you come home, as your brain reluctantly readjusts to the shiteness of the non-Glasto world.

Anyway, if you want to see some snippets of the amazingness of Glastonbury, here are some links:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vucmx5eunEk

Bjork doing Hyperballad - seeing this live was a truly incredible experience:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iJvNMMGSkQM

Super Furries:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cQG2dtVGQoA

And now for some pics...

The shape of my arse after I fell over in the mud (you'll have to click on this one [if you dare]):

VeganForummers Risker and Enchantress:

Yummy Glasto toilets at their worst (note the used tampon at the top right):

Clearly Risker and I took pictures of the same things:

My mam and dad:

The dragon in the sacred space, near the stone circle:

Chips:

Clearly Risker and I took pictures of the same things (part II):

Stu

The jellyfish viewing platform thingy in the new Park area (click):

Another dragon:

My bandmate with Michael Eavis:

Some random nutter:

Enchantress, looking like she honestly hasn't ingested any alcohol or drugs. Honest:

That bloody random nutter again:

We got to see The Stooges!!! Here's a pic of Iggy:

Yes. It was muddy:

A big wooden tortoise somewhere in the Healing Fields. Well what did you expect? This is Glastonbury:

Fantastic stuff stu Post more if you've got em

Great pics (especially the toilet ), thanks for posting them. I watched a lot of the coverage on the telly but got fed up with seeing the same bands repeated over and over. I would liked to have seen more of what was happening around the festival. I bet it was knackering walking around in all that mud for four days.

Stu

Too right! Glastonbury covers 1000 acres, with over 1000 bands playing, plus 5 days of circus acts, cabaret acts, comedy, theatre, and general insane randomness all over the place. So yes, you get completely knackered by the end of the 5 days. In fact, you're knackered by the first day. Every bit of my body is aching now.

I forgot to mention by the way, I also met Justin from the forum, but I forgot to get any photos of him (sorry).

Quote Stu on June 12th
    The toilets are fine.
    Quote Stu on June 28th
    Are you still sure about that, Stu?

I thought that wasn't too bad really, considering the potential horror! Let's just say I've seen worse!

Stu

Yeah, I posted that pic because it was a particularly bad one. Generally though, they were fine. Nothing like the toilets you get at, say, Reading festival.