Thread: Vegan Southampton & Hampshire

Default Vegan Southampton & Hampshire

My mum lives in Southampton and she says there are no good healthfood outlets and no vegan cafe's or restaraunts. Help....
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Default Re: Southampton vegans... help!!

http://www.ivu.org/solentveg/shopping.html

Vegetarian Shops

Puja Sweet Mart, 57 St Mary's Road, Southampton. 023 8023 3677. They sells both Indian sweets and savouries, e.g. pakoras, samosas, onion bhajis. Most of the savouries and a few of the sweets are vegan. It's owned by Jagdish and Kashmira Chavda who are both vegetarian. One of our members told us "it's fantastic, and very low priced too!" They also cater for Weddings and Parties. Opening hours: Mon: Closed. Tues-Fri: 11:30 a.m. - 7 p.m. Sat: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Sun: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. They have recently increased their range of vegan goodies and have introduced some gluten-free goodies too.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

NEW Allsorts Psychic Cafe 22 Carlton Place, Southampton SO15 2DY. Tel: 023 80237561. Fully veggie, mainly drinks and cakes (many vegan). They have a single savoury dish too such as soup, stew or pasties. Prices are very reasonable. www.allsorts-psychic-cafe.com. 10% discount for Viva! and Southampton Vegetarians & Vegans members.

Amelie Food Emporium (Delicatessen)
    33 Manor Farm road, Bitterne Park Triangle, Southampton, Hampshire SO18 1NN
    Has ordered nvw display materials.

Choices Internet Cafe
    11 Rumbridge Street, Totton, Southampton, Hampshire SO40 9DQ
    This cafe will have National Vegetarian Week promotional materials.

Rose ElliotSolent Vegetarians & Vegans (Local Contact)
    www.ivu.org/solentveg
    May 26: 7pm at October Books, Portswood Road, Southampton. A Free Rose Elliot cookery demo (hot food) with a chance to sample the food and buy Rose's latest cookery books. October Books will also be having a National Vegetarian Week window display. (Rose is a patron of The Vegetarian Society)

Southampton Central Library
    Display of vegetarian information from May 28. Organised by Solent Vegetarians & Vegans.

Thumbs up Re: Southampton vegans... help!!

Wow, thakyou, Kiran.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Not too sure about vegan stuff.. but worth a try....

Organic Food Company: Sunnyfields Organic Farm
    Telephone: 023 8087 1408
    Address: Jacobs Gutter La, Totton, Southampton, SO40 9FX

Organic Food Company: Greenacres Organic Co Ltd
    Telephone: 023 8066 8137
    Address: 27 The Dr, Totton, Southampton, SO40 9EH

Organic Food Company: River Ford Organic Box Scheme
    Telephone: 01962 856663
    Address: 27 Honeysuckle Cl, Winchester, SO22 4QQ

Organic Food Company: Heathcote L V & Partners
    Telephone: 01590 688488
    Address: Warborne Farm/Warborne La, Portmore, Lymington, SO41 5QD

Default Southampton Free Vegfest

I got this bulletin on myspace, can't make it myself but perhaps some of you guys might like to

"With food from huge to small brands, junk food and healthy - come and see that us veggies don't just munch on lettuce all day. Plus it's FREE!!"

Hosted By::
    SAAC and SVV

When:
    Saturday Mar 31, 2007
    at 2:00 AM

Where::
    Edmund Kell Hall
    Bellevue Road
    Southampton, S SO152AY
    United Kingdom

Default Re: Southampton Free Vegfest

Hmmm if i am home then i shall go. It's the weekend when i go back to soton for the easter holidays!
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

Default Mini ChocFest in Southampton

Just saw this on the vegan village noticeboard. Not sure if the event is entirely vegan, but there are lots of free vegan goodies to try if you live in the Southhampton area. Too far away for me unfortunately

Mini ChocFest in Southampton
    Weds 25th July 6pm - 10pm (onwards!) at the Soul Bowl, Southampton. Entry by donation. Lots of free vegan choc, cake, icecream to sample - plus live music and holistic therapies for a real pamper experience. Pop in and bring a friend too! zigzw@yahoo.co.uk

Default Re: Mini ChocFest in Southampton

I just Googled for Soul Bowl, as I'd never heard of it, and found the following info:

Venue name: The Soul Cellar
    Venue address: 78 West Marlands Road, Southampton
    Venue postcode: SO14 7FW
    Contact telephone: 023 8071 0648
    Contact email: soulcellar78@gmail.com
    Web address: http://www.soul-cellar.com ...
    Start date: 14/05/2007

Additional details: The Soul Cellar is proud to announce its brand new day time opening, presenting The Soul Bowl, Coffee House and Vegetarian Cafe. 11am - 9pm Mon to Sat. "Cooked to order vegetarian specials and mezze". "for our coffee we have selected ethically traded organic beans from one of the UK's finest suppliers, freshly ground every 30 minutes and available for the first time on the south coast"
    "Real Coffee, Real Food, for Real People" Also....A fine selection of Teas, Juices and Smoothies. And a soundtrack of Jazz, Blues and Soul.

I'm so excited! Veggie food! In Southampton!

Default Hampshire vegans!

Heya,

I am going to Winchester Uni in September, and am hoping to live somewhere between Winchester and Totton.

Are there any good Vegan shops local to the area- (I don't drive)? Otherwise it will have to be montlhy visits home for my shopping!

Thanks
    BB
    To you it's food; To them it's life

Default Re: Hampshire vegans!

I hail from Hampshire..although i havent lived there for years....anyway winch is v. bohemian so im sure you'll be fine. ;-)
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

Kevster

Aye, i love Winchester (for some reason?) last time i was there, many years ago, there was a good wholefood shop.

I love Winchester too, it just has a nice atmosphere about it for some reason. I'm afraid my knowledge of the shops there is no good though.

OoO oOo! I'm from Hampshire! (God help you)

Winchester is okay, about the same as any other town you'll find really =)

~xx

There's one health food shop in win (apart from holland and barrat). It's a lovely place to live, i'm sad to have left it.
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

hello! I go to winchester uni and i'll be in my 3rd year in sept. What course are you going to be studying? Hvae fun!! There is a health food shop in the town which has vegan food and then there is holland and barrett and then for fresh stuff there is sainsburys. I don't live in winch anymore and commute ...i like to pop into the health food shop on the way to the train station ( al little d-tour but its worth it ). The health food shop have vegan cheeses, ice cream, yogurt etc. Pm if you like..

yum
    x

Sunnyfields Organic Farm in Totton - http://www.sunnyfields.co.uk/ -have a farm shop that sells all kinds of interesting stuff.

There's a Fair Trade shop - http://www.thefairtradeshop.org.uk/ - in Shirley, Southampton, and October Books - http://www.octoberbooks.org/fairtrade.htm - in Portswood, Southampton is also worth a visit.

Default Hampshire

There's a new licensed vegetarian cafe opened in Southampton. It's called The Soul Bowl, and is housed in a blues/funk/jazz/reggae club called The Soul Cellar. It's open from 11am to 9pm for food.

The menu is fairly short - there were 6 mains on offer, 4 of which were vegan. The food is plentiful and cheap - about £3.50 per main course.

78 West Marlands Road, Southampton, SO14 7FW
    Tel or Fax - 023 8071 0648
    Email - info@soul-cellar.com
    Last edited by flutterby; Jul 22nd, 2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Quote Kevster View Post
    Aye, i love Winchester (for some reason?) last time i was there, many years ago, there was a good wholefood shop.
    Yes, the wholefood shop is very good. I visit it about once a month (I visit Winchester for concerts I perform/go to) and stock up on supplies!
    The good thing, for me, is they do things ready to eat- I went yesterday, and I got a large spicy lentil thing, a few samosas and some nice cakes (always, unfortunately, much better than my attempts!)

Certainly worth a look

Default Re: Vegan Southampton & Hampshire

My friend at work sent me this email today (she's a very cool person, and tells me that the vegan nosh is great and clean):

"As of next Saturday I'm going to be helping out occassionally with the
    catering at The Art House on Bedford place, opposite the Lizard Lounge
    - it's a not-for-profit arts centre with a veggie and vegan cafe that has recently been opened by some people I know. So if you're in town and you fancy a healthy lunch or some coffee & cake somewhere a bit more laid back than West Quay, then bear it in mind. They're open for coffee and lunch
    everyday except Monday and in the evening Tue, Fri and Sat.

They also have WiFi, a vintage clothes shop and a practice space
    upstairs if your sitar-weaving group needs somewhere to meet."

http://www.thearthousesouthampton.co.uk/

Hm. I'm going to be in Southampton tomorrow lunchtime. I might have to drop in and have a snoop around.

I'd be really interested to know what it's like, Sluggie. I'm thinking of checking it out on Saturday... so I'll follow your recommendation!

I went there today for coffee and chocolate cake. It was very nice - the choccy cake was moist and rich. The place has a bright, laid-back atmosphere with lots of artwork on display. They are still developing their range of savoury food, so I'll have to go back and investigate that another time.

Afterwards I went and had a nose around the Psychic Allsorts Cafe which is just round the corner. It looks really shabby from the outside, but inside it's cosy and inviting. There was a group of people just about to tuck into lunch, and the food looked lovely. I'm going to give it a try next Friday. I think this might become my weekly treat, as I go diving in Southampton every Friday lunchtime.

Ohh i'm glad there's more vegan things happening in Southampton. I'm going down in half term so will check these out

Hiya

Just wanted to say:

1) The Art Cafe rocks!

2) My boyfriend has just started a job in Winchester...does anyone know of any new vegan places for him to try out? Or vegan friendly places?

Ta =)

Katiekins

Hey

I live in Southampton at the moment. Its great that you have discovered The Art House, its by far the best vegan place in the city. The food is so nice and its great how its run not for profit

If you haven't found it yet there is a nice little health food & gift shop on Bedford Place (just past the civic centre) called Naturally Healthy. They have a big range of vegan stuff, the lady that runs it is really nice too and will stock stuff if you ask her. Also there a few other vegan places around the city such as Lush by the Bargate monument (the shop I run, blatant plug).

I don't really know Winchester too well but I do know there is a vegan shop just off the main shopping street (they usually have an advertising board on the main street), also I know there is an ethical hairdressing salon (because they buy our henna's to use on their customers!).

The ethical hairdressing salon in Winchester (if it's the one in Jewry Street) has unfortunately replaced the independent health food shop that used to be there.

That only leaves Holland & Barrett for food shopping, and there aren't any veggie cafes/restaurants that I know of. A bit pants really for such an upmarket town.

We just moved to Winchester, I don't think the wholefood shop is there any more (at least I haven't found it). There is a health store but it doesn't sell food. There is a Holland & Barrett though (with a broken freezer of course).

Went to 'Indian Melody' in Southampton this evening, really good. The guy running the place is very enthusiastic and will tell you everything you might want to know, his enthusiasm can be a bit much though! Everything on the menu is suitable for vegetarians, nothing is marked vegan but they'll be happy to make vegan versions of whatever you want.

As the guy told me, everything is fresh, nothing is from tins or packets and you're even encouraged to go and see your food being cooked in the open kitchen.

Buddies Diner in Winchester does two different vegan burgers.They're not marked as vegan on the menu but if you ask the staff they have a folder with allergen information that clearly states they are vegan if served without mayonnaise. They might have other vegan stuff but we only asked about these two burgers.

3 Bean Burger - Home made 3 bean taste sensation coated in breadcrumbs, and served with fresh salad and mayo on a lightly toasted bun. £6.75

Roasted Veg Burger - Fire roasted portabello mushrooms, aubergines and red peppers stacked high in a toasted bun. £7.25

I'd have to say the bean burger is the better of the two.

Also Rimjhim in Winchester will do vegan food on request but I suggest you discuss your needs by email rather than in person because their spoken English is pretty poor.

There's a new shop in Winchester called Fuzzi that stocks sheese and vegan cupcakes and other goodies.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hey the Art House is an excellent place for vegan food. I had a hummus based mezze (sp?) and some chocolate cake there last time i visited my folks. My mum runs origami sessions there. It's a really brilliant place based on culture for the community.
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

There's going to be a new Jamie Oliver restaurant in Winchester called Union Jacks (there's already one in London). They don't seem too vegan friendly from the online menu but they could be in the new location if they new there would be demand for it in advance. If you get my drift.

We can found organic foods every where as the demand and supply of organic foods are gradually increasing day to day basis. Everyone like your mother now conscious about their health and like to eat healthy foods which are without any pesticides and toxic. Told your mother to search in online, inquiry at the local food society, go to food malls. I think it is not a difficult tax. Hope, your mother will get the solution very soon. Don't worry my friend.

Risker, the Jamie Oliver one ought to be vegan-friendly considering how much he goes on about it now, oughtn't it? I went to a Jamie's Italian a while ago and they claimed they had a separate menu though they couldn't actually find it - they adapted something for me though. I have tweeted them to ask, anyway.

Jamie Olivers 'Union Jacks' have all shut down now except one in London, I never did end up actually going in since they never replied to my email and the menu didn't look all that special. I think the shops been bought by Rick Stein or someone.

Ah! I forgot to check the date on your message. Probably shouldn't expect a reply to my tweet Anywhere good there now?

Wetherspoons, Pizza Express, and I mostly trust RimJhim but prefer to order online so there's no vocal miscommunication. As for shops, there's an eco type shop that sells a few vegan bits, a H&B, Fuzzi has temporarily closed while they find new premisis but do cheap local delivery from their website.

Oh, there may also be a restaurant in the shopping mall that does a meal or two, not sure as it was a pop-up shop but decided to stay.

There's a YMCA cafe that labels stuff vegan too, not tried it though.

Not too bad then... Thanks Risker!