Thread: Saving the Planet

Default Saving the Planet

Is there anybody out there interested in doing their bit to save the planet who has had a good experience with a vegan-friendly organisation?

I am particularly interested in longer term projects anywhere in the world but would also like to learn of any experiences to do with shorter working holidays of a week or two.
    I may be ancient but I’m active, a bit like a volcano.

Default Re: Saving the Planet

I have already been on a few “expeditions” with fairly high profile not for profit companies. These include some who provide scuba diving and species recognition training to volunteers who then collect data to help protect the marine environment.

I got a firm impression of altruism from both volunteers and staff. But one scientist did suggest to me that perhaps the top people in some organisations were less interested in the science than those in others. In a world where eco-tourism is big business CEO’s can make very comfortable salaries and benefit from expense accounts and perks even when there is no official profit made. Or is this just cynical old me?

Also, their stated aims tend to centre around sustainability. In other words they are not really interested in saving the fishes for the fishes’ sake but to safeguard future food resources. This does not sit comfortably beside a vegan perspective.

Any thoughts? Careful about the libel laws!

Hi,

I have little doubt that this is very naughty but I don’t have the mighty powers of Korn to create a sticky.......

So, I thought I would rather cheekily bring this uni-contributor thread to the fore in the somewhat vain hope that there might be somebody out there who has some relevant experiences to relate.

maybe if you asked Korn to move it to the 'environmental concerns' thread you might reach peeps who could respond to this. Just a thought.
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

Are you looking particularly at environmental projects -or would you also be interested in human rights/social responsibility projects as well?

Veganlinda.... Thanks for the suggestion. The forum format has changed a lot since the original posting. It’s applicable to both really. Choices, choices, choices!

Roxy..... Not personally, no. But if you have had a good experience in those areas then it might be useful to somebody who does.