Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Weight reduction advice

Default Re: weight loss issues

Kallo Dark chocolate covered rice cakes are the greatest! Sweet and delicious but healthy and I think low calorie compared to biscuits/sweets

Unsulphured dried apricots!

I don't know if they are particularly low in calories, but being chewy means you eat them more slowly! Also the high fibre content fills you up.

I'm a great fan of increasing fibre in the diet; it's very easy with a vegan diet - wholemeal bread and pasta for example. It's LOW Glycaemic Index, keeping you feeling full for longer and you benefit from all the nutrients of the bran, which gets removed when they make white flour.

A thought on the exercise at home with your daughter; you want something that is safe for her to try to join in. How about putting on some music and dancing or doing aerobic exercises? I bet she'd love that; it would be good for both of you and you'd get her into the habit of exercise and make it less likely for her to have a weight problem when she's older.
    Last edited by Mzee; Jan 22nd, 2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: I wrote high instead of LOW! That was so careless, my apologies!

yes, dance is a good way of having fun and still do some exercise. make sure you also drink enough water, and avoid too much coffee or tea, because it can dehydrate you.
    i second fruits and rice cakes covered with chocolate. think apple, like golden or gala, they're great in any way you eat them, compote, pie or just as a snack. the apple has also the interesting property of filling your stomach so after eating it you're not hungry anymore. and remember the old say "an apple a day keeps the doctor away"

JC

i don't eat after 6pm and i don't get cravings at all but good snack foods i find, are small pieces of fruit, like chopped apple, grapes, cherries, dates, chunks of mango, strawberries - i don't know why, but having lots of little pieces of fruit seems to make it more snack-like than eating one big piece. and you get fuller quicker coz it takes longer to eat. you could also try drinking alot of water first, because it might just be thirst in disguise. plus water fills you up and makes you less hungry anyway!

I make a salad dressing with Udo's (or one of the omega oil rich oils) and balsamic vinegar too.

And soups are great - an experiment on a food programme recently showed that soup fills you up for longer than consuming the exact same food and water as a meal.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote veggiemaya View Post
    oh my goodness! i am really glad that you said that!! I am a new vegan, about 2 weeks now...and i havent even eaten any of that yet. it is in my freezer though and sure enough..i read it and there are egg whites. oh well, on to the next brand. anyone have suggestions for a good tasting fake chicken? oh, and AnneCE, thanks for the heads up!!
    No problem! We've all made similar errors, it took me a while to notice milk proteins in a snack I used to love.
    There is an alternatives to quorn thread here which might give you some ideas.

Quote sage68 View Post
    I know i have noticed that I do have a sweet tooth, especially in the evenings. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can eat when those moments arise that isn't high in calories?
    Eat a couple of medjool dates - they are like caramel

Quote AnneCE View Post
    No problem! We've all made similar errors, it took me a while to notice milk proteins in a snack I used to love.
    There is an alternatives to quorn thread here which might give you some ideas.
    thank you! this forum is so helpful. only thing is, i see a lot of options that look like they are not available in the US. I guess I will just have to keep searching.

for the longest time, I was doing great with snacks (mainly fruits and nuts), but then I found out over the last weekend that Oreos are vegan and well, it's been an uphill battle in the snacking arena now...

LOL

Quote KrissStress View Post
    for the longest time, I was doing great with snacks (mainly fruits and nuts), but then I found out over the last weekend that Oreos are vegan and well, it's been an uphill battle in the snacking arena now...
    oreos are my weakness.
    my mom bought a HUGE box
    and i went through like 30 oreos in one day.

i told her not to buy any anymore.
    The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

I put them in the freezer with hopes that I will want them to defrost before I eat them...now I just bite into the frozen solid filling...when you find out oreos are vegan everything goes down hill from there.

A lot of my friends also know they are vegan so of course when they buy treats for themselves they buy be boxes of oreos....THEY ARE PERPETUATING THE CYCLE!! lol
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I'm safe - Oreos are not available in the UK!

I just looked them up in wikipedia and got "Milk's favorite cookie" and "trans fats" so I was surprised to hear they are vegan..

Quote missbettie View Post
    I put them in the freezer with hopes that I will want them to defrost before I eat them...now I just bite into the frozen solid filling...when you find out oreos are vegan everything goes down hill from there.

A lot of my friends also know they are vegan so of course when they buy treats for themselves they buy be boxes of oreos....THEY ARE PERPETUATING THE CYCLE!! lol
    missbettie..that is hysterical!! i do the exact same thing!!! not with oreo's, but i used to do it with chocolate which has always, basically, had a strangle hold on me for my entire life, haha! i would try to trick myself by putting chocolate or cookies, anything tempting, in the freezer and just wind up incurring dental bills and still eating it all. and my problem has always been that i want to eat all that stuff in the middle of the night. its been a problem for me for years. in fact, i have tried to figure it out but i have no idea why that happens. i just wake up with such an urge for sweets. and when i am in that half awake state, i have that "i dont care how many calories are in these..i'm eating them ALL!" attitude. its not good! anyone else ever been like this?

missbettie..that is hysterical!! i do the exact same thing!!! not with oreo's, but i used to do it with chocolate which has always, basically, had a strangle hold on me for my entire life, haha! i would try to trick myself by putting chocolate or cookies, anything tempting, in the freezer and just wind up incurring dental bills and still eating it all. and my problem has always been that i want to eat all that stuff in the middle of the night. its been a problem for me for years. in fact, i have tried to figure it out but i have no idea why that happens. i just wake up with such an urge for sweets. and when i am in that half awake state, i have that "i dont care how many calories are in these..i'm eating them ALL!" attitude. its not good! anyone else ever been like this?
    i snack alot right before i go to sleep.
    chocolate has always been one of my favorite things
    The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

I do it with chocolate too! lol. Our freezer is kinda broken so there is a nice layer of snow on top of all the food in the freezer so now I can't see all the bad stuff for me...i suppose its a good thing...lol

those things are why I thought they weren't safe either. We were on our way to play a show and one of my band mates had packed a bunch of snacks - I looked at the label on a box of Oreos out of curiosity and was shocked to see they were safe. Once I got to a computer, I looked through a bunch of vegan forums to make doubly sure they were safe and well, it was trouble from then on.

thank you! this forum is so helpful. only thing is, i see a lot of options that look like they are not available in the US. I guess I will just have to keep searching.

What isn't available in the US? I've noticed we usually have many more options and "specialty" foods than in europe and asia..
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Oreos are vegan? Jeez I can't handle cookies!! I'd better stay away from the grocery store for a while.

I've recently lost my appetite which is great cos I'm starting to lose weight but I'm trying to go with the 'eat when you're hungry' thing and I'm just not eating enough I don't think.

This also happened last time I was doing the same 'eat when hungry' thing a year or so ago - does anyone have any experience of this? Will my body ever get hungry enough to make me eat enough?
    I'm quite anxious to avoid my body going into starvation mode and learning to survive on very little because this always leads to more weight gain in the long run.

I went to one of the Paul McKenna seminars and was able to ask him about it - he just said I'd been yoyo dieting and starving my body for so many years it will take a while for it to normalise, then moved on to the next question before I was able to say that wasn't true (I used to go on strict diets when I was much younger but haven't for ages and certainly not in the couple of years previous to that comment).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    I've recently lost my appetite which is great cos I'm starting to lose weight but I'm trying to go with the 'eat when you're hungry' thing and I'm just not eating enough I don't think.

This also happened last time I was doing the same thing - does anyone have any experience of this? Will my body ever get hungry enough to make me eat enough? I'm concerned to avoid it going into starvation mode and learning to survive on very little because this always leads to more weight gain in the long run
    Yes, I've lost my appetite for several months at a time. It's great as a female college student, losing weight, looking good, not spending time making meals. I never got hungry because I seriously think I messed up my metabolism... Now it's exactly like you've said, I'm gaining weight and am heavier than before. I am absolutely pissed about it, as I look like crap and can't fit into my clothes... I wish I could have just kept up the intake enough to keep my metabolism going. I'm wokring now to lose weight and tone up a bit. Basically, I started to sort of force feed in June, eating more calories and am now eating a ton and not gaining anymore. I think it can take a few months of force feeding to get the appetite back and stop gaining. I don't think everyone needs to really force feed, some people just go with the appetite and it comes back naturally.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I went to one of the Paul McKenna seminars and was able to ask him about it - he just said I'd been yoyo dieting and starving my body for so many years it will take a while for it to normalise, then moved on to the next question before I was able to say that wasn't true (I used to go on strict diets when I was much younger but haven't for ages and certainly not in the couple of years previous to that comment).
    I agree with this, restricting really does fuck with metabolisms, maybe he was right and its still having its effect.

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    . . . some people just go with the appetite and it comes back naturally.
    I hope so but I wonder how long I can give it before my body goes into starvation mode. Does anyone know?

I'm worried about getting enough vitamins etc too because with this programme when you are hungry you are meant to eat what you want to, not what you should - although the hope is that your body will eventually crave the things which are good for you.

I agree with this, restricting really does fuck with metabolisms, maybe he was right and its still having its effect.
    I just can't imagine it is possible - it's been such a long time. Any times I have lost weight in the last 10-15 years it has been sensibly and slowly.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I hope so but I wonder how long I can give it before my body goes into starvation mode. Does anyone know?

I think its a couple months, after that its more reversible the sooner you get back up to a normal intake.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I'm worried about getting enough vitamins etc too because with this programme when you are hungry you are meant to eat what you want to, not what you should.

Can you just eat somewhere in the middle of what you should eat and what you want to eat? That's whats worked with me lately.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I just can't imagine it is possible - it's been such a long time. Any times I have lost weight in the last 10-15 years it has been sensibly and slowly.

Oh 15 years!! Well I guess this wouldn't still be having an effect then. I really have no idea then! Maybe natural flucuations in hormones and weather changes?!?

Can you just eat somewhere in the middle of what you should eat and what you want to eat? That's whats worked with me lately.
    Well the idea is you change your relationship with food so it doesn't rule your life and you eat like a slim person - they eat when hungry, stop when full, eat what they want.
    If you are regulating your food at all it doesn't work as in essence you are still calorie counting, dieting and obsessing about food.

(Here is the book with cd if you are interested. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Can-Make-You...0966420&sr=8-3)

What isn't available in the US? I've noticed we usually have many more options and "specialty" foods than in europe and asia..
    well, there is this brand that I have read about called Realeat. Everywhere I look for it on the web, seems like it is a UK item. I have found some pretty good alternatives, but I am always looking to find the best.

Quote jasonhouston View Post
    Read and follow Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman or The McDougall Plan by John McDougall. Both plans are vegan and heavy on the salad. Both plans are vegan for health reasons, not for the animals sake.
    Hi, we have a thread about Joel Fuhrman here - and as you can see, his plan isn't all vegan... Did they really specify 'not for the animals sake'?

well, there is this brand that I have read about called Realeat. Everywhere I look for it on the web, seems like it is a UK item. I have found some pretty good alternatives, but I am always looking to find the best.
    whats realeat? a food item or brand? if its not available in a store, an alternative on the internet is always possible...just not sure what you're looking for.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Well the idea is you change your relationship with food so it doesn't rule your life and you eat like a slim person - they eat when hungry, stop when full, eat what they want.
    If you are regulating your food at all it doesn't work as in essence you are still calorie counting, dieting and obsessing about food.
    Oh ok, is this like intuitive eating? I would absolutely love to do this - restructure my thinking, my relationship with food. But wow this seems like a huge task!! I've been working on this lately, but I've been eating a lot more fat than usual ~25-30%. It may be either 1/ humans are known to like fat or 2/ that I needed more fat in my diet. But its so hard to just eat without eating what "i'm supposed to". I guess doing veganism for health reasons got me a little obsessed. This sounds awesome Marrers, tell me how the book is!

i always lose weight focusing on eating only whole foods and not a lot of pasta/potatoes, dont eat sugar, and not eating a lot of meals that are complex. and eating legumes, soy milk, fruits, etc. i always lose weight really quickly doing this.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

sugarmouse

Default Stomach Shrinkage?

Ok so I have been dieting quite avidly recently, really wanted to lose some weight and it has worked, I am happier.
    Even whilst dietingthough, I didnt go hungry, always ate just low calorie foods...and had a couple of days a week where I ate more calories nd wasnt quite so strict with myself.
    My question is is it possible for my stomach capacity to shriknk through dieting?
    Reason i ask is I went out for a meal yesterday, and I ordered a bowl of vegetable stir fry and some fries.Neither order was very large yet I struggled to eat and afterwards felt uncomfortably full, which never used to happen with me at all.
    if my stomach is smaller now then i am not complaining...
    Just curious!!Does anyone know?
    Thankies
    Jenni xx
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

cobweb

Default Re: Stomach Shrinkage?

apparently yes, our stomachs are very small and many of us (erm, me included) keep stretching them by eating large meals. If you start eating much smaller portions then it will shrink back to normal.

Having been ill a few years ago I can eat much less than anyone else I eat with. Subsequently I have to stagger my meals more during the day because eating too much in one go can have some rather unpleasant consequences.

sugarmouse

Rite ok. I guess also alot of what i have eaten has been salads and veggies and stuff thats very high water content...maybe this has contributed.
    Thnaks guys x

Thats happened to me, too. Competitive eaters drink large amounts of water in short amounts of time in order to stretch their stomachs and I've found it works for me, too. Be careful, though; if you've never done it before, it'll make you sick the first few times.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

Exclamation Re: Stomach Shrinkage?

as a nurse I would STRONGLY recommend against drinking large amounts of water for this purpose as people have been know to DIE from what is called acute water intoxication, basically what happens is the overload of water dilutes the amounts of electrolytes in the blood low enough to cause fatal arrhythmias of course if you don't die you could also end up with permanent brain damage. I've seen this condition in psychiatric patients that either compulsively drink or drink excess water to "flush" out their meds and in young healthy adults trying to beat a drug test. There was also a case a few years ago with a young healthy woman trying to win an on air radio contest and died. I would not recommend drinking more than a liter of water at any given time that would be when youre already a bit dehydrated

Oh yeah! I'd heard about that kind of thing happening before, but I thought it was one of those urban myths

pathologist

Well - I've said this before - but basically water is really really harmful - I personally never drink it! - yes I see cases from time to time of children and babies dying because they've had too much water. its just too hypotonic. of course in most concious people its OK - they know when to stop.

no its 100% true, look it up and yea most people won't "accidentally" ingest too much water it almost always people who are trying to flush something out

Quote mjnewbould View Post
    Well - I've said this before - but basically water is really really harmful - I personally never drink it! - yes I see cases from time to time of children and babies dying because they've had too much water. its just too hypotonic. of course in most concious people its OK - they know when to stop.
    you dont drink water at all? or not in huge ammounts

Quote Roxy View Post
    Oh yeah! I'd heard about that kind of thing happening before, but I thought it was one of those urban myths
    i heard a story on the radio a while back about an athlete marathon runner who thought the best thing was to take on lots and lots of water while running and the same thing happened to him, basically the volume of water diluted the good stuff (technical talk ) in the blood and he nearly died.

To avoid water completely is not sensible though, unless you have a penchant for kidney failure.

uh-huh

Quote cedarblue View Post
    uh-huh
    Sorry, I wasn't replying to you specifically

but i WAS replying to your most sensible and correct post specifically!

on the flip side of over hydration I also learned how crappy even mild dehydration can make you feel, when pregnant with my second child and hurled every day whether I needed to or LOL of all things a damn bowl or golden grahams put me in the hospital for rehydration due to an afternoon on my knees in the bathroom after eating the vile stuff. Also even mild OVERHYDRATION can raise the blood pressure and cause the heart to work harder circulating all that extra fluid, MODERATION is the key

pathologist

No - I really never drink water - I always drink other stuff. I'm a pathologist you see and I get to see what happens to people! So I don't drink plain water or alcohol! We really do not need to drink water - we need to drink - but not water -As long as we drink liquid we don't get kidney failure. There are a few medical reasons why drinking water might be a good idea (high calcium, a tendency to kidney stones being two of them) but definitely in moderation!

then how come people lived before there was other liquids? Did they get enough liquid from the food they ate? Was water better back then? I am highly confused...

I guess if you drink water with a meal it's hypotonic-ness would be reduced by mixing with the food in your stomach.

cobweb

Quote mjnewbould View Post
    No - I really never drink water - I always drink other stuff. I'm a pathologist you see and I get to see what happens to people! So I don't drink plain water or alcohol! We really do not need to drink water - we need to drink - but not water -As long as we drink liquid we don't get kidney failure. There are a few medical reasons why drinking water might be a good idea (high calcium, a tendency to kidney stones being two of them) but definitely in moderation!

interesting job!. so what should we be drinking and why?. why is water so bad?.