Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight reduction advice

Lightbulb I wanna lose weight

hi. i've just started running twice a week in this special programme, which claims to make me able to run for at least half an hour in three months. i'm gonna run three times a week. i've also just started doing half an hour yoga two times a week. besides from that, i bike at least five times a week for 40 -60 minutes per day.

i really wanna lose some weight, but do any of you clever people know how many calories i should eat per day, with this exercise-plan, to lose weight in a healthy way? i know that i'm probably gonna lose body fat and gain muscles instead, but still i wanna have my diet on it too.

i'm about 138 lb and i'm 5'8''.

thanks!

Default Re: I wanna lose weight

Heya i'm not much help with the how many calories you should eat, but you could try down sizing your meal portions so you're only eat 3/4's of what you did before? This worked for me

Also, that running plan sounds very interesting do you mind telling me the details? I've been thinking it's high time i got fitter...lol
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

I wish I weighed your weight and I'm only 5'2.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Good sperm

Quote Smoothie
    i really wanna lose some weight, but do any of you clever people know how many calories i should eat per day, with this exercise-plan, to lose weight in a healthy way? i know that i'm probably gonna lose body fat and gain muscles instead, but still i wanna have my diet on it too.
    I run 2 miles, swim and do yoga 3 times a week and cycle and row for about 15mins each 2 times a week. I eat between 1500 and 2000 cals a day and after a period of steady weightloss I have stopped losing weight, I think I am building muscle. Bear in mind if you eat too little your metabolism will slow and you'll stop losing weight, which has happened to me to some extent as I'm not really topping 1500 cals a day.

Here is a good site for calculating roughly whatyour calorie intake should be, and advice on how to lose weight with it too.

As I understand it, the recommended daily calorie allowance for women is typically 2000 calories. In order to lose weight you should aim to take 1200 to 1500 calories a day in addition to regular exercise, to lose around 1-2 lbs in a week. I

'm afraid to admit I'm a bit of a serial crash dieter so if I want to lose weight quickly I cut down to 1000 calories a day. The weight comes off rapidly during the first couple of weeks, but it is only a quick fix as you're metabolism inevitably plumets as a result. 1500 is probably sensible for steady and healthy weight loss, and you're less likely to feel hungry and binge!
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

i was thinking i was gonna eat between 1200 - 1800 cals a day - just to keep my metabolism up. other than that i'm gonna eat loads of "negative calories" food, and cut out all refined sugar and other nasty things.
    you think that's gonna work?

for tigerlily: i bet you look prettier than me, anyway, since you're probably more womanly looking, and more "ethnic" - my hair is an inch, i don't shave, and i don't want to, i have blue eyes and boringly brown hair and freckles. i just wanna be stronger, fitter, and able to do fantastic things with my body.

and for ara:

1. day (F.x. monday)

2. day (F.x. wednesday)

3. day (F.x. saturday)

week 1
    day one
    5 min. walk
    1 min. run
    5 min. walk
    1 min. run
    3 min. walk
    day two
    5 min. walk
    1 min. run
    5 min. walk
    1 min. run
    3 min. walk

day three
    5 min. walk
    2 min. run
    4 min. walk
    1 min. run
    2 min. walk

week 2
    day one
    5 min. walk
    2 min. run
    4 min. walk
    1 min. run
    2 min. walk

day two
    5 min. walk
    2 min. run
    4 min. walk
    2 min. run
    1 min. walk

day three
    5 min. walk
    2 min. run
    4 min. walk
    2 min. run
    1 min. walk

week 3
    day one
    4 min. walk
    3 min. run
    4 min. walk
    2 min. run
    1 min. walk
    day two
    4 min. walk
    3 min. run
    4 min. walk
    3 min. run
    1 min. walk

day three
    3 min. walk
    4 min. run
    3 min. walk
    3 min. run
    1 min. walk

week 4
    day one
    3 min. walk
    4 min. run
    3 min. walk
    3 min. run
    1 min. walk

day two
    3 min. walk
    5 min. run
    3 min. walk
    4 min. run
    1 min. walk

day three
    2 min. walk
    8 min. run
    5 min. walk

week 5
    day one
    3 min. walk
    5 min. run
    3 min. walk
    4 min. run
    1 min. walk

day two
    2 min. walk
    6 min. run
    2 min. walk
    5 min. run
    1 min. walk

day three
    2 min. walk
    10 min. run
    5 min. walk

week 6
    day one
    2 min. walk
    6 min. run
    2 min. walk
    5 min. run
    1 min. walk

day two
    2 min. walk
    7 min. run
    2 min. walk
    6 min. run
    1 min. walk

day three
    2 min. walk
    12 min. run
    5 min. walk

week 7
    day one
    2 min. walk
    7 min. run
    2 min. walk
    6 min. run
    1 min. walk

day two
    2 min. walk
    8 min. run
    2 min. walk
    7 min. run
    1 min. walk

day three
    2 min. walk
    14 min. run
    5 min. walk

week 8
    day one
    2 min. walk
    8 min. run
    2 min. walk
    7 min. run
    1 min. walk

day two
    2 min. walk
    9 min. run
    2 min. walk
    8 min. run
    1 min. walk
    day three
    2 min. walk
    16 min. run
    5 min. walk

week 9
    day one
    2 min. walk
    9 min. run
    2 min. walk
    8 min. run
    1 min. walk

day two
    2 min. walk
    10 min. run
    2 min. walk
    9 min. run
    1 min. walk
    day three
    2 min. walk
    20 min. run
    5 min. walk

week 10
    day one
    2 min. walk
    10 min. run
    2 min. walk
    9 min. run
    1 min. walk

day two
    2 min. walk
    11 min. run
    2 min. walk
    10 min. run
    1 min. walk

day three
    2 min. walk
    23 min. run
    5 min. walk

week 11
    day one
    2 min. walk
    11 min. run
    2 min. walk
    10 min. run
    1 min. walk

day two
    2 min. walk
    12 min. run
    2 min. walk
    11 min. run
    1 min. walk

day three
    2 min. walk
    26 min. run
    5 min. walk

week 12
    day one
    2 min. walk
    12 min. run
    2 min. walk
    11 min. run
    1 min. walk

day two
    2 min. walk
    13 min. run
    2 min. walk
    12 min. run
    1 min. walk

day three
    5 kilometre or
    30 min. run

-remember to strech out every time you do it!

my boyfriends mom did the whole plan, and she's now able to run for 30 min. straight out

Quote Smoothie
    i was thinking i was gonna eat between 1200 - 1800 cals a day - just to keep my metabolism up. other than that i'm gonna eat loads of "negative calories" food, and cut out all refined sugar and other nasty things.
    you think that's gonna work?
    Not to sound negative but "negative calorie" foods are a myth. There is no way that your body can burn more calories than the calories in most of the foods on the lists that these websites provide. the closest thing to a "negative calorie" food is celery bc its mostly water and cellulose, which cant be digested so it just passes through. However, the foods that are usually listed on these "negative calorie" foods won't hurt you as they are generally relatively low cal fruits and veggies. In the end, a calorie is a calorie so I would still count them in your total number.

I think 1200-1800 is a good idea - if you start running a lot more, in the later weeks I would definately make sure to get more around the 1800 for energy etc. but I think its a good healthy plan. I hope it works out well for you! I had noticed before, though, I think you suffered from eating disorders? be careful not to fall back into bad habits through dieting if you have
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Lovely thank you smoothie! I'm going to start doing this after i get back from ym holiday i think
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

sugarmouse

I do believe negative calorie foods work.I eat lots of them whenever I lose weight.I know the concept is misleading as all foods have calories.but i do believe the more of them you eat as a percentage of your diet,the more weight you will lose.

yeah, that's my thoughts about it too.

and for wishin: yeah, i have suffered from an ED, but now i'm trying to get to know my body better, to make myself more comfy about it, and i'd love to be able to run when i need some time for myself, instead of just getting annoyed at everyone and the yoga part is to get my body more fit and healthy.

Isn't the idea with negative calorie foods that you burn off more calories eating them than the calories they contain? I remember reading that somewhere and it seems to make sense.

Quote Smoothie View Post

and for wishin: yeah, i have suffered from an ED, but now i'm trying to get to know my body better, to make myself more comfy about it, and i'd love to be able to run when i need some time for myself, instead of just getting annoyed at everyone and the yoga part is to get my body more fit and healthy.
    sounds good! ive heard running and yoga really help in that department
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

yeah. it feels good too.

Vary your exercise routine. Our bodies adapt to the same routine day in day out.

Include adequate protein or your body will hang on to fat stores. 2 seves a day EG porridge for breaky and tofu with another meal and/or nuts and seeds, lentils, beans etc.

Include weight training in your routine. This will NOT make you bulk up, but will firm up your body quicker and studies have shown that if you weight train you burn calories for twice as long than with cardio alone. Aim for 2-3x per week.

Consume 5-6 smaller meals per day instead of 3 main meals.

Drink lots of water!

sugarmouse

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    Isn't the idea with negative calorie foods that you burn off more calories eating them than the calories they contain? I remember reading that somewhere and it seems to make sense.
    yes.And I believe it to be right.If it is not, then for whatever reason,eatin the foods that are supposedly negative calorie, as a major part of my diet..makes me lose weight.thats good enough for me! theyre healthy foods aswell..

I've heard that 1,500 calories is a good amount, but it depends on your specific body. You could try eating as you normally do for a few days, and calculate how many calories you NORMALLY eat, and then subtract calories according to how much you want to lose. I think a pound of fat is 3500 calories, and to lose faster than 2 lbs/week is too fast.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Im regularly have to get my weight down for competition and a good routine of long steady and short fast cardio ie running or biking really does the trick.
    Also add some weights or body resistant excercises to keep toning the body.
    You also need to maintain a good balanced diet which keeps your metabolism high. If you eat too little you really slow down your metabolism and when you actually eat proper you pack weight back on so easily.
    Also if you want to burn fat you need to eat fat so the body learns to use it as a fuel source, that way when you are running low on fat from food the body will take it of your ass

Smoothie, I'm wondering how much you plan to lose because according to this height-weight chart, your weight is really good:

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Default Weight Gain...

I seem to be gaining weight since going vegan. I started out 8stone and over the past two or three months I've managed to gain another stone.

Im not overweight but I am very self concious.

I don't know the cause of this but I keep putting it down to the amount of bread I am consuming, the thing is I seem to keep going back to it.

I'd like to get back down to 8 stone. Any advice?

(Im sorry if there are other threads like this but it seems most vegans are loseing weight rather than gaining)
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Weight Gain...

Increase the amount of physical exercise you do, maybe get checked out by your doctor to ensure there are no underlying symptoms, try to eat less bread and more fibre-rich beans and veggies maybe. Drink more water. Just some suggestions off the top of my head. Let us know how you get on.

1 stone is quite a lot to gain over 2 or 3 months.
    Were you underweight to begin with?
    8 stone does not sound like a lot.
    Do you have a history of weight fluctuations?
    I agree it would be a good idea to get checked out by a doctor.
    I think any doctor would be happy to check over someone who had suddenly gained a stone.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

PygmyGoat

Are you eating a lot of bread because you are stuck for meal ideas?. There are tons of recipes about, here, and other online places. Try and eat more imaginatively than you used to, and experiment! .
    Wish I was 9 stone again! ..........

sugarmouse

I agree.experiment more with cooking, bread always makes me pile the weight on if I eat a lot of it but its so easy to!

The other thing about bread is that it can be very more-ish, especially the non-wholemeal kind: something to do with its glycaemic index (burns up fast so that you get a blood sugar spike followed by a dip). Eating a few nuts is likely to satisfy you for longer.

I actually lost 10 pounds during my first months.... Whole grains/bread is actually the basis of a vegan diet. The bottom of the food pyramid so to speak. Just make sure the grains your eating are whole and not "white". I found I gained weight (recently) from cutting out artificial sweetner, which means I was drinking sugared drinks.. OMG I gained 10 pounds back! So sugar is definitely something you should try and restrict!!

Thankyou for the replies.

I do have a history of fluctuations in my weight but never anything so dramatic since I was about 14 (Im 19 now).

I will try all of the above suggestions, I really need to do more exercise and indeed I think part of it because Im having a bit of trouble getting some imagination (food wise) on the go.

I think Im gonna check in at the doctors just to be sure and take all the advice above and put it into action.

Thankyou again xx

Quote flycat View Post
    I actually lost 10 pounds during my first months.... Whole grains/bread is actually the basis of a vegan diet. The bottom of the food pyramid so to speak. Just make sure the grains your eating are whole and not "white". I found I gained weight (recently) from cutting out artificial sweetner, which means I was drinking sugared drinks.. OMG I gained 10 pounds back! So sugar is definitely something you should try and restrict!!
    Gah, thats the thing the majority of the bread I eat is wholegrain, wholegrain sliced and wholegrain bagels. I just dunno, I dont have a sweet tooth so it's not often I have that sort of thing.

Right now my diet seems to consist of bread, potato's, vegetables, lentils, beans, coffee and vegan mince (cooked in various ways).

Im not sure what Im doing wrong but I know one particular aspect of my problems is that Im not exercising enough. So that I can deal with and start going swimming again.

Im just a lil >.< at the moment lol

Whole grains/bread is actually the basis of a vegan diet.
    For some vegans that may be true for others, it isn't...
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Kitiara View Post
    Gah, thats the thing the majority of the bread I eat is wholegrain, wholegrain sliced and wholegrain bagels. I just dunno, I dont have a sweet tooth so it's not often I have that sort of thing.

I think even wholegrain bread can have a fairly high glycaemic index, as do potatoes, so could contribute to making you feel hungrier, although if you combine them with beans or nuts the net result is to lower the glycaemic load of the meal as a whole. Vegan mince can be incredibly calorific so check the packaging.

If you're like me you're probably right that exercise is the key. I need to take more as well, I have piled on pounds since the next-door dog I used to walk moved away

Quote Korn View Post
    I For some vegans it is, for others, it isn't...
    basing your diet on whole grains and bread probably isn't very healthy. People should be eating at least 5 portions of fruit and veg each day and plenty of seeds, pulses, nuts.

For me, most grains make me feel bloated. Try "reversing" your diet and eating more fruits and veggies than grains to see if that helps (and still eat a lot of beans, and nuts).

PygmyGoat

^ same here, Tigerlily, I would/could never base my diet around grains, I would get very ill indeed

I think I will take the advice on doing more exercise, lowering the amount of bread/grains/potato's I eat and focus on fresh fruit/veg and plenty of water.

What I meant by vegan diet being grain based is that grains are the "bottom" or largest portion of the food pyramid. doesn't mean that all you eat are grains. Fruits and veggies are on the next level followed by legumes, soy nuts and fats on the top.

You should start using stevia as a sweetener and look for protein shakes, etc that are sweetened with it. Stevia is an herb which is used to sweeten foods and has no calories. It is native to Paraguay and has only recently been allowed in the US...you know, we're afraid of herbs here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_...al_index.shtml

You are in the healthy weight range according to the Body Mass Index
    Last edited by herbwormwood; Nov 22nd, 2006 at 04:38 PM. Reason: correction of URL

Quite honestly losing weight is all about not eating so much. I have to lose three stone because of a serious knee injury and to avoid surgery - I can't exercise at all because of the injury and have lost 14 pounds in three weeks just by eating 1200 calories a day!
    I'm 44 so my metabolism isn't as fast as it was either. Do you need to lose weight? if you are too slim now you may not be able to lose any more weight easily.
    Silent but deadly :p

miss kitty

hi im new here and iv been vegan since i was 10 and im now 18. i was wondering if any of your lot had and tips to get skinny i mean SUPER SKINNY!. im 5' 7'' and i weigh 9st 3 pounds and i have a small frame. I exercise loads and i don't eat much somestimes nothing at all but i never lose weight all that happens is that my stomach shrinks, and then i have bad days as in i eat the 'normal amont of food' and not exercise but i don't gain any weight either, so can any ony tell me what to do and how long it took them like just eat one banana a day or something and also im a martail artist and have gained muscle which i don't want because i want skinny legs but my legs are huge! and most of its muscle so how can i carry on without making any more muscle.
    sorry for such a long post but i coudn't write it short

Quote miss kitty View Post
    hi im new here and iv been vegan since i was 10 and im now 18. i was wondering if any of your lot had and tips to get skinny i mean SUPER SKINNY!. im 5' 7'' and i weigh 9st 3 pounds and i have a small frame. I exercise loads and i don't eat much somestimes nothing at all but i never lose weight all that happens is that my stomach shrinks, and then i have bad days as in i eat the 'normal amont of food' and not exercise but i don't gain any weight either, so can any ony tell me what to do and how long it took them like just eat one banana a day or something and also im a martail artist and have gained muscle which i don't want because i want skinny legs but my legs are huge! and most of its muscle so how can i carry on without making any more muscle.
    sorry for such a long post but i coudn't write it short
    We do not promote eating disorders here at The Vegan Forum.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    We do not promote eating disorders here at The Vegan Forum.
    Hopefully we discuss people's personal issues if they need to talk but the ethic here seems to be to promote a healthy, balanced nutritious vegan diet, also not to encourage inappropriate weight loss or restrictive eating habits.

Most people want to lost weight simply by changing only their diet. Sure, this will lead to temporary weight loss, but folks tend to return to old eating habits (more or less) and the weight returns. "Dieting" sucks. Add exercise and burn some calories... it's the best way to keep weight off AND IT'S GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Human beings were NOT meant to be sedentary. I lost no weight after becoming vegan, despite working out with weights regularly. I started losing when I burned a lot of calories through aerobic exercise

well, i actually just want to loose fat and then gain muscles.

if you wanna lose weight, cut down the calories, add aerobic excercises, bout 2-3 times a week ie jogging, steady biking etc for bout 30mins and to boost the metabolism do fun sports which require bursts of anaerobic excercise ie football, tennis, badminton or do specific anaerobic stuff like weights, hiit on the stationary bike etc to boost it to crazy levels .

Lucky old me hasn't been to the gym since late november, pigged out big time for the last 6weeks and have added a pound due to my metabolism being so high from before

ps long distance running is overrated, if you are going to do any keep it to once a week with short runs on the other days you run.
    Remember keep it fun, training can be enjoyable as well as painful.

Default yet another "i want to lose weight thread"...(sorry)

so i basically would like some advice on how to lose weight. i have gained about 13 lbs (gasp!) the past month or so, and i desperately need to lose it.i was hoping i could get some advice as to how to go about it. i exercize A LOT (mainly cycling, light free hand weights, and hula hooping =]) as it is so suggesting to "do more cardio" is not quite what i'm looking for.thanks! =]
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: yet another "i want to lose weight thread"...(sorry)

my suggestion is always to cut out processed and packaged foods which usually contain all sorts of unnecessary additives. i've also been told that you should never eat anything that is white. it sounds weird, but with few exceptions, white foods aren't particularly nutritious and just add empty calories. substitue whole wheat grains for white grains, brown rice for white rice, and avoid starchy stuff like potatoes and pasta. i, of course, can't follow this diet because i love my pasta and potatoes, but it's definitely healthier for you!

thanks karmadust!however, i already do that. as it is i typically eat whole grains (cereal or breads), nuts, seeds, fruits, and, veggies.

Don't skip tofu and bananas, though. They're white, but also very healthy for you.
    Since you already seem to watch what you eat and exercise - maybe keep an eye on your portions? They can go up without you noticing.
    Also: Have you been under a lot of stress? Sleeping irreguraly? Recently gone on any new medication? Dropped any medication? Been sick?
    Those all contribute to weight gain.

Bic asks some really good questions.

if none of these things apply to you, i guess my initial thoughts are, if you're eating 1500-2000 calories a day, most of which are from healthy sources, and you're getting regular exercise, it may be that your body is meant to be getting larger - our society has this idea that we should ideally look like stick figure super models, but a woman's body naturally has "padding", it's meant to protect us and our potential offspring. this padding usually develops between ages 14 and 16 (i don't know how old you are) and so many girls become insecure about their bodies because of it (hence, major increases of anorexia after girls hit puberty).

13lbs in a month does seem like quite a bit pretty fast, but if you're not doing anything differently, it may be what your body is naturally inclined to do. just a thought.

thanks for the advice you guys =]

i completely understand what you mean about the whole "it's what the body wants" deal...but i have REALLY been overdoing it, so i know why i gained the weight.

i have had regular sleep/medical/stress patterns for quite some time, so i don't think that had any affect.

so this is more just me asking how to control my portions i guess. it seems like a silly question i know but it's a very hard thing for me.

oh and i should probably mention, i used to be very overweight all throughout childhood (i think i started to lose weight when i was 11 or so, purposely, not for no reason).

so as you can imagine i really want to maintain that weight loss, so any help or advice you can offer is welcome =]