Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight reduction advice

Default Re: yet another "i want to lose weight thread"...(sorry)

it's not a silly question - it's something a lot of people struggle with, including myself. so i completely understand.

something that has worked for me is the idea of conscious eating. they say that after the first three bites of food, your taste buds become accustomed to the flavor and it just doesn't taste as good. so if you sit down at your meal and really savor those first three bites - really take in the smell, the texture of the food in your mouth, all the flavors as they slowly emerge after a bite, and then the after taste, anything after that won't be quite as delicious, and you'll be less likely to want to overindulge. so often we shovel food into our mouths and don't really pay attention to what we're eating, and not only do we eat more than we really need, but we don't enjoy it.

also, if you put on your plate exactly what you want to eat, and then seal up the rest and put it back in the fridge or freezer or wherever, then when you're finished, you won't be as likely to pull everything out for seconds.

someone on this forum also suggested (not sure where) that you drink a big glass of water or diet pop or something before a meal so that you'll feel full faster. i was at an indian restaurant and the owner saw us drinking water with our meal and came over and made a big deal about how we should save the water for after the meal so that we have more room for food! haha. it works both ways!

thanks, that is a good idea.

it's a little more difficult for me because i don't eat "meals" if that makes any sense. i mean yes, i eat a certain amount of food in one sitting a few times a day, but i don't have what someone would sit down to and consider a meal.

for example, i'll have some raw veggies with vinegar or soy sauce, and some fruit and maybe some cereal. but it's not like i put everything i plan to eat on a table and then eat it. now you see my dilemma...

i also don't eat huge amounts of food because of the taste whatsoever. i keep eating because i am addicted to it (i've known i've had problems with food for a very long time and it will be something i will struggle with for the rest of my life).

i'm sorry, i must sound like a little whiny kid just saying no to everything, but i really am trying to figure out what i can do that will be best.

Why not make yourself eat structured meals then? Allot yourself 3 meals a day with 2-3 snacks. Set calorie limits for each.
    It sounds like your problem is more that you snack constantly and don't allow yourself any real meals. (Not critisizing, I have a similiar problem which is making my diet quite hard for me.)
    EDIT: It also helps if you plan out before hand what you will eat and stick to it. Drinking tea or water sweetened with setvia calms urges to consume extra.

thanks =]

but yet i again, i have a problem...

i don't snack all day in the least.

i eat every 12 hours and that's it. if i don't have school, i only eat once during the day (i know i know, bad for your metabolism blah blah. but this is what works best for me). otherwise i would literally never stop.

roar i wish this was a simple problem.

Time to break habits then.
    Before you go to bed - make yourself a breakfast that can be either eaten cold or heated up. This is your breakfast. Jump starts metabolism and keeps you from feeling run down.
    Since you only eat once during the day I assume you don't eat lunch? Try packing some raisons/figs/other dried fruit in a sandwich bag. Eating at lunch helps you concentrate better at school and when you get home you might not want to eat as much. No guarentee, but I know when I don't eat anything for lunch I start to over-eat when I get home even if I'm not significantly hungry.

When you get home, break that one big meal into smaller peices. Plan them out. Say you get home at 4 - eat about 400 calories then and stop. Do something else - homework or whatever. At 6 eat 400 more. Stop. At 9 (I'm assuming you go to bed around 10, adjust this if you don't) eat 300-500 more. Feel free to shift those calories around to suit your needs. Mind you this is a 1300-1500 calorie diet. I'm hoping you'll get the other 500-700 out of breakfast and lunch, however small they may be.

I hope this helps some.

i am so sorry, but my schedule is quite absurd so this won't work.

i wake up at 2:30 (am) and eat breakfast. then i get home at 2:30 (pm) and eat dinner. i can't eat at any other time.

i really apologize for being such a nag.

S'okay. I'll try to think of a way to diet around that. My schedule is wonky too so I had to modify other's plans for myself as well.

=] thanks, most people belive i am a total wackjob, which is probably true anyway, but i try not to upset others about it.

Eating once every 12 hours is going to make your body think it's being starved. It will therefore hang on to every calorie it can and you can end up putting on weight and being malnourished.

You must make time to eat regularly. Perhaps you can manage a few handfuls of nuts/a sandwich/an energy or cereal bar/smoothies which will keep you going until you can prepare a meal.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

try setting out four (or however many you think) sandwhich bags, and fill them with something healthy (trail mix, dried fruit, nuts, raw veggies, whatever). take them with you to work/school/wherever you are between 2am and 2pm. then try your hardest to space out when you eat them (since this seems to be your biggest battle) if you have to, layer them between your books, or under things in your purse so that you have one on the top that you eat, and then wait an hour and dig down to the next one. wait an hour, then dig down to the next one. maybe having to dig through layers would break the compulsive feeling that accompanies binge eating. it sounds sort of wacky, i know, but when you get in that "zone", you need something to break up that movement of your hand to food to your mouth in order to remind yourself to try and stop.

hopefully if you're eating small amounts of healthy things throughout the day, your body won't feel starved (which can deaden appetite, which makes you think you're not hungry, but then you get home and your body literally takes over and doesn't want to stop!)

you also might consider seeing a counselor. there are lots of counselors that work with eating issues and can offer expert advice and support, and sometimes having someone to be accountable to can help motivate you to overcome obstacles. compulsive eating is not uncommon, but it usually has psychological and emotional roots that need to be addressed if you want the behavior to stop for more than a couple of weeks.

and don't worry, you're not alone and the fact that some things work for other people and don't work for you isn't a fault.

i just thought of something else, too. as soon as you're done with your baggie of food, chew some gum. if you're chewing gum, you can't keep eating, and it gives you something to do that is similar to eating. this would work anytime you're eating a meal and you know you need to stop but you don't feel like you can - force yourself to pull out some gum and put that in your mouth instead.

thanks for all the advice!!!! i will definitely try some of those tips. i'll see how it goes =]

Are you eating BEFORE exercise?
    I also do a ton of exercise-and one thing I always do is eat breakfast, no matter whether I am going to swim, run or take a rest day. When you exercise without eating, your metabolism slows right down. Then two things happen: You are ravenous, and your body is clinging to all those calories. Try having something high in carbohydrates (but also containing protein) about 1 hour before exercise.

^^yes actually, that is the only time i eat, so that is not a problem for me.

oh and i'm sorry if this has already been said/answered...but does anyone have any suggestionsa as to how many calories i should be eating for weight loss?

You can work it out based on your physical build and how much you weigh now. If you hang on a sec I'll try to find a handy tool I saw a while back that calculates it for you...

Why don't you set up a FitDay account? It'll tell you how many calories you need to maintain your current weight (basic advice I've read is to lost weight - cut 500 calories out of that), along with how many vitamins/minerals you are consuming and how many you should be consuming.
    Very handy. Also, you can determine whether or not your exercise is really working off those calories.
    There are probably other sites like it but...FitDay is free so I like it better.

I've never tried Fitday, it sounds a bit more sophisticated than this which is what I was thinking of.

according to the website you gave me, twinkle, it says i should have 2400 cals to maintain my weight...so i'm thinking like 1500-1800?oh, and i already have a fitday account, but i don't really like it.

Quote emmydu View Post
    so i basically would like some advice on how to lose weight. i have gained about 13 lbs (gasp!) the past month or so, and i desperately need to lose it.i was hoping i could get some advice as to how to go about it. i exercize A LOT (mainly cycling, light free hand weights, and hula hooping =]) as it is so suggesting to "do more cardio" is not quite what i'm looking for.thanks! =]
    May I be so rude as to ask how old you are? If you are a teenager you may still be growing and gaining bone density, height and muscle...
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I use www.mypyramidtracker.gov I have been trying to use it advidily as of late I am trying to lose weight. I enter all of my food and when I run out of calories I stop eating.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Quote emmydu View Post
    ^^yes actually, that is the only time i eat, so that is not a problem for me.
    So you only eat in the morning, then when you're out with friends you eat like there's no tomorrow....I think you're slowing down your metabolism by only eating once a day, then overeating at the wrong times. Maybe you could try, just for a few days, eating a decent-sized breakfast and lunch (with a mid-morning snack in between), then I think you'll find you're only up for a light dinner in the evening.

roar i'm sorry but i'm starting to get annoyed. i DON'T eat only once a day and if anything breakfast is my biggest meal!!!!!!!!!i only eat alone, and i don't eat loads of random crap with my friends. i've stopped growing, so none of this is height etc.the ONLY reason i gained weight was i ate too much around the holidays and such. i was not asking for reasons why i gained the weight, just advice on how to lose it. i know for a fact that it's not my routine that has caused the weight gain, because i had managed to maintain my previous weight for about a year.sorry about getting upset, but you just were not understanding my situation.

Hi

Please understand that people are only making suggestions that you can take or leave there was probably confusion as in one of your posts you said:

but yet i again, i have a problem...

i don't snack all day in the least.

i eat every 12 hours and that's it. if i don't have school, i only eat once during the day (i know i know, bad for your metabolism blah blah. but this is what works best for me). otherwise i would literally never stop.

Monday x

Quote emmydu View Post
    roar i'm sorry but i'm starting to get annoyed. i DON'T eat only once a day and if anything breakfast is my biggest meal!!!!!!!!!i only eat alone, and i don't eat loads of random crap with my friends. i've stopped growing, so none of this is height etc.the ONLY reason i gained weight was i ate too much around the holidays and such. i was not asking for reasons why i gained the weight, just advice on how to lose it. i know for a fact that it's not my routine that has caused the weight gain, because i had managed to maintain my previous weight for about a year.sorry about getting upset, but you just were not understanding my situation.
    In that case eating what you normally do would lead to you shedding the extra pounds and returning to your previous weight.

Quote emmydu View Post
    I would suggest you not post with questions if you don't want input-some of it is bound to be advice you DON'T want. You did say that morning is the only time you eat. You did say in another thread that you eat a ton when out with friends.
    Understanding the reasons for your weight gain is the key to losing it. I managed to lose 52 pounds over the past year-I'm so small now that I have to buy underclothes in the children's department. I was interested in helping and offering suggestions, but your post was really unjustified.

Good sperm

Quote hollybee View Post
    Understanding the reasons for your weight gain is the key to losing it. I managed to lose 52 pounds over the past year-I'm so small now that I have to buy underclothes in the children's department.
    Wow well done! That is an amazing achievement, do you have any tips? I gained 7lbs over Christmas (overindulgence) and now I can't shed it as I've lost all my good habits I had before when I was slimmer.

Hi Emmy,
    your posts are quite fragmented and I'm having a hard time getting a picture of your eating and exercise habits. Maybe if you posted a typical day's food and exercise routine maybe we could help you more and you wouldn't get so frustrated.

hollybee, i don't think she was ranting just on you, i think it was a compilation of all of us who have been jumping to conclusions about what her "problem" is. (conclusions that, with what little information we have, are valid assumptions, but assumptions nonetheless). we don't know each other and can't sit down and have in depth discussions, so there's bound to be misunderstandings on both sides.

on another note, congrats on your successful weightloss efforts! however, i would not encourage any woman to aspire to wear children's underwear - especially a teenage girl. i don't think that's a healthy goal or incentive.

I realize that she was ranting at everyone-I was simply answering from my perspective. She did say all those things she's now denying having said-and she never said she had simply gained weight from eating too much around the holidays.
    I'm not encouraging anyone to aspire to wear children's sizes-I just wanted to point out that my weight loss was dramatic and very successful, so I had some ideas to offer. I happen to be very short and have a very small body frame. It was never a goal to be too small for anything in in the women's department. That's just the way it worked out. Believe me, I've never liked being as short as I am but I guess there has to be a trade-off somwhere.

Rndm

ok, i apoligize so much for the confusion.i don't know where i said i eat with my friends though, because i absolutely NEVER do that, the only time i would ever eat in front of my friends is a special occasion, i.e. a birthday party. this would happen a few times a year AT MOST and never cause me to gain weight.the fact that i can eat so much has nothing to do with the fact that i have been over indulging lately...but putting that aside i just want to say that on weekdays (school days for me) i eat 2X a day. on the weekends, it varies from 1-2 times.i exercize after i eat (cycling then weight training and hula hooping).i am truly sorry for getting upset at your suggestions, it's just that nothing that anyone said was what i meant...i should have been more specific and i am deeply sorry for that.i hope this clears things up a bit and i would still enjoy hearing anyone's input =]

Quote karmadust View Post
    and avoid starchy stuff like potatoes and pasta. i, of course, can't follow this diet because i love my pasta and potatoes, but it's definitely healthier for you!
    Potatoes and pasta do not make you fat, in fact they are great foods for weight loss and maintenance. You should only be careful about the stuff you put on them. Olive oil, margarine and other fatty condiments.

Quote fiamma View Post
    Hi Emmy,
    your posts are quite fragmented and I'm having a hard time getting a picture of your eating and exercise habits. Maybe if you posted a typical day's food and exercise routine maybe we could help you more and you wouldn't get so frustrated.
    Seconded.

Quote Fifty9 View Post
    Potatoes and pasta do not make you fat, in fact they are great foods for weight loss and maintenance. You should only be careful about the stuff you put on them. Olive oil, margarine and other fatty condiments.

That's true-I lost weight eating mainly complex carbohydrates. They give you energy and fill you up, so you're not hungry right after eating.

i'm really sorry i make no sense....

if you could only tell me what you needed to know i would be able to get my points across...

?

I think it would be helpful if you could post what you eat on a typical day. Maybe a weekday and a weekend day, since you seem to have different routines. Alsp post what exercise you do - times, type and how long.

ok will do. =]

weekdays and weekends are basically the same, but at different times (normally on the weekends i'll eat a bit earlier in the afternoon).

as far as the amounts and what i eat, it varies so i'll just try to come up with an example of what i might eat in a day.

in the morning i would have say some fruit, some cereal, and perhaps some bread with peanut butter.
    after that i would ride a stationary bike, lift weights, and hula hoop.

at school i might bring in a little snack type thing, such as a few apples or maybe crackers.

once home, i would have say some baby carrots, some mushrooms, and maybe some more cereal.
    after that i would do the same exercize as before.

now keep in mind that this is NOT how/why i gained the weight. this is more like what i would normally eat. i hope this was helpful.

ok, so for now i'm just going to eat sparingly (i.e. try my best not to overeat).hopefully this will help me out. i'll definitely update with my progress =]

Unhappy need help losing weight

(please merge if needed )

my adult life, up until the age of about 21 i was always between 10-11 stone and a size 10-12, then 14. i am 5ft 6. over the last few years the weight has gradually crept on, and i am now at 14.5 stone (about 200 pounds) and a size 18. i get fed up of people saying i dont look like a size 18, as i do, and i am not very healthy.
    i lack will power and suffer from depression, im not using it as an excuse it just sometimes gets in the way of my motivation. i also have epilepsy which sometimes affects my confidence, so i worry about going running alone etc, although i have started walking a friends dog 30 mins 3 times a week. and on weekends i try to walk fast constantly for about an hour.
    i try and track what i eat on fit day, but find it hard to keep my calories down, im very hungry a lot of the time, and i tend to comfort eat, i cannot control this, and i really want to.
    basically, i would go to weight watchers etc, but i have no money at the moment and so need to get started at home, then when i find a job i hope to have enough money to join somewhere and buy a swimming costume too (again the cost is difficult)
    i am sorry for this long rambling post, i just wondered for those out there who have lost considerable weight (at least 40 pounds) how did you do it?did you have set food plans? exercise goals? what foods did you cut out? (i've cut out processed fake meats, which was a downfall for me, also i eat chocolate less than once a month) i'm weaning myself off crisps at the moment, which is another weakness.
    im very sorry for the long rambling post, i'm just feeling so down about my weight and size
    Last edited by philfox; Feb 16th, 2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: because i cannot spell
    Vegan Forum: keeping me sane in the world of the ignorant.

Default Re: need help losing weight

I lost about 3 stone or so a few years back. I lost the majority of it by walking about 50 minutes upwards about 5-6 times a week, including up some fairly steep hills, and by calorie counting, mostly.

thank you. what kind of calorie limit did you follow? and how quickly did the weight come off?

So sorry to hear you feel so down. I lost 2 stone after having my first child. I found it hard to shift it at first but once i started work i lost it pretty quickly. Its hard to give diet advice as people eat different amounts but i lost it by doing plenty of exercise like walking, biking, a few weights. I only bought a small amount of food to work and fruit to snack on during my breaks. I never bough chocolate, biscuits, crisps etc when i went shopping.
    I eat completly different now. I dont like high cal food and i eat lots of fruit and veg and i cant eat large amounts. When i had my second child i lost the weight in a month.
    Good luck.

ooooh goodness!i feel so slack. i was thinking about doing some aerobics exercises (my mother leant me a dvd) until i get the confidence to go walking/running alone. i will give it a go next week, im at my parents over the weekend, so it will be ideal for me to borrow my mums weights too
    thank you for your adive. i really need to get off my ass and get exercising.

Lol, it isnt easy to feel motivated but once you start and see the great results there will be no stopping you
    Why dont you use this thread as a weekly blog, keep us up to date with your progress.

I'm 5' 6'' and did weight 13 stone... I now use fitday.com to count my calories to maintain at 10 1/2 st- I do 6 hours of Tae Kwon Do a week, and go to the gym 3 times. I'm my ideal weight now (Although I'd like to loose another stone), so it can be done! I followed a 1,200 cal limit for mine- but you have to find out what will work for you try 1,200 and see if the weight is coming off to fast or slow- aim for 2lbs a week. Up or down the calories as you need to- remember as you weight less you'll need to eat less to loose weight or maintain! good luck, you can do it!

thats a great idea, as long as people dont think im too self indulgent. id do it on myspace, but one of my friends had gone down 4 dress sizes recently and i feel embarrassed talking about it there :S
    i dont have any scales here, i think it might be a bad thing, so im only weighing myself when i go through to mums, so i might get some cheap ones from argos tomorrow.
    so far today i've eaten
    a banana (i usually have a bowl of porridge for brekkie)
    salad with hummus and olives

Great

I dont have scales, i think i would worry to much. Maybe just using your mums scales when you go around would be better then you wont worry so much. I do the clothes test, if they are getting loser then im doing great

if you're not a fan of weighing yourself you could always use the 'are my trousers getting bigger' method

I'm sorry you're struggling philfox. I think what you need to do is eat carbs like brown bread, rice and pasta (don't go overboard on these, but don't skimp on these either. Porridge is excellent), plus lots of fresh veggies and fruit. I think the thing you really need to watch is fat intake, so monitor how much oil you put on salads for example, and steam veg rather than fry it. And drink lots of water! Maybe you could allow yourself one day a week where you have a treat, it might keep you more motivated the rest of the time. All the best