Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight reduction advice

Good sperm

Default Re: need help losing weight

I've found that regular exercise (I run between 15-20 miles a week, between 3 and 5 days running generally) and eating around 2000 kcals a day has not only kept my weight steady but I'm gaining muscle and losing inches. This had the added plus of being a lifestyle change rather than a 'diet' and as such is something I can keep on doing for the rest of my life.

If you do start exercising be sure to eat plenty, but the right things, and don't weigh yourself measure yourself. I haven't lost a pound in the last month but my waist has lost 2 inches.

BlackCats

Thats true about measuring yourself with tape because you can lose inches but no weight. Absentminded Fan is right so even though you might weigh the same the exercise tones you up all over. You feel better and it boosts your mood especially if you do something outside - well it works for me anyway.

I find alcohol is a killer for me, it makes you reach for junky foods when you have a hangover to soak up the drink.

I did weightwatchers and lost 5 and half stone on it over 3 years. It is good but I didn't really do it in a healthy way. I just used to eat chocolate and crisps and then just ate vegetables the rest of the day. I think it can be a good way of eating well but I just was being silly!

Quote twinkle View Post
    I keep getting the urge to bake sweet stuff at the moment but it's just me and my housemate living here and he really doesn't eat cake unless I almost force it on him. Maybe I need to start posting it out to willing recipients
    I find baking therapeutic myself and in the past lived with people who would gladly eat what I had made. Now everyone in this house is health conscious so that has caused a few problems for me. So now I have come to an arrangement with a local shop to bake for them twice a month. We are both happy as I get the 'therapy' that baking is for me and they get quality fresh products to sell on (and they cover the cost of ingredients).

You might try something similar if you are a good baker.

Wow Robert, that must be great. I love baking but my expanding waist will argue that baking should be loved. Its my dads birthday soon so fantastic excuse to bake lots and palm it off on the family.

Quote Robert View Post
    I find baking therapeutic myself and in the past lived with people who would gladly eat what I had made. Now everyone in this house is health conscious so that has caused a few problems for me. So now I have come to an arrangement with a local shop to bake for them twice a month. We are both happy as I get the 'therapy' that baking is for me and they get quality fresh products to sell on (and they cover the cost of ingredients).

You might try something similar if you are a good baker.

i like baking a load more than i ever used to, need to shift (rather a lot of) pounds..so tend to bake stuff..have a bit, test what i've made out on the kids..work people..friends. then everyone is happy cos they're eating nice stuff and they get to cross that myth that vegan food is freaky

like some wench at work said

"oh no, you can't make cake without eggs!!"

*eats piece of cake made by me*

"this cake is good!"

what sot of thing do you bake for the bakery robert? what an ace idea..though i'm surprised at it tbh..i wouldv'e thought there'd be weird rules on stuff like that
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

sorry i've not replied for a while
    well, obviously i've fallen off the raw food wagon
    i havent lost any weight
    i went back to the crisps and bread diet i was so used to
    however, i did start the cabbage soup diet on thursday, and i've lost all the urges for crisps etc, and my appetite is a lot less. so thats something. i have to veganise it today as its 'beef and tomatoes day' hmmmm nice.

i really do struggle with will power etc, but i'm finding having something to stick to with 'rules' to follow is really helping me. even if the only benefit i get in the end is knowing that im not an alcoholic (4 days without alcohol, woo!)

i'm gonna have to get weighed though, so i can make a note of starting weights etc and see if this is working, because theres no way i'm doing banana and '(soya)milk day' again if it doesnt...ever
    Vegan Forum: keeping me sane in the world of the ignorant.

Philfox - I know how hard it is, I've been trying to muster up willpower for about 3 months now! Don't forget to measure yourself as well (as absentmindedfan says upthread! ) - if you end up not seeming to weigh less on the scales it could be because of increased muscle so if you've got a reduced girth that may help cos you'll still see a difference

Keep going Philfox, we all have bad days.

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Hi Philfox- i've been doing the weight watchers diet just before i went vegan a couple of weeks ago and it works. I have lost 7 pounds in 5 weeks and there are lots of vegan things to eat. I can't go off the 'diet band wagon' because the diet is quite disciplined. and i can stil have vegan choccys

Thats good Yum, nice steady weight loss. I want to lose a few more pounds, i have managed to feel a hell of a lot better about myself and i am nearly down to what i was last year so im getting there.

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

that's good stuff- i read in your posts that you make a lot of cakes- it's so tempting i saw a recipe for a lemon cake but am holding myself back

Lol, yes im not shy of a slice of cake and i do love baking. Baking a cake for my friends birthday on friday so i can bake and not eat, perfect

thanks guys for the support and kind words. the only way to make it for me i think is to not have any 'treats' until i lose target weights, say like every half stone i lose i can have a treat, or maybe every stone. but i dont want to get into the habit of eating things i dont need. like the only cravings on this stupid 'beef' and tomato day (tofu and redwoods chicken pieces more like hehe) is fruit. i think i'll do something like weightwatchers/slimming world when ive lost something substantial. i measured myself on friday (which was day 2/7):
    under the bust: 35 inches
    waist: 40inches
    hips:44 inches
    (this is a bizarre one but they are like tree trunks)each thigh: 26 inches

ok i measured again just now
    half an inch lost from under the bust (but might be how tight i held the tape last time) gained an inch on the waist the rest is the same
    sigh
    oh well
    best be positive, will give it another week and start with more exercise too
    Last edited by philfox; May 14th, 2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: to add extra

ok, had to go to the docs today to ask about exercise on prescription
    well i had to have my bloodpressure done (it has come down over the last 18 months) and be weighed and since the last time i got weighed a few months ago, ive lost about 13 pounds! so ireally am determined, even though i blew the diet yesterday, to carry on. i feel great because i saw something. now its not enough to have gone down a jean size, but im confident enough i can maybe lose another 14 pounds before my birthday in july. i know its only 6 weeks away, if not sooner, but if i lose another 7 by then i'll be happy.

i know it took a long time to put on, so it will take as long to lose and maintain but at least it's a start (although i dont think the 6 pints i had over yesterday will have helped me :S lol

i dont know if your doctor has helped you with your exercise difficulties or not, but i, in the past few years have had trouble getting myself back in the water (litterally, im a swimmer ) i saw a pysical therapist a few months ago who explained simply why i was having such a hard time. he said that this principal is good for those recovering from an injury (me) or ones who are trying to get into shape...

10%.... basically you start slow. lets say your thing is going to be walking or running. if you say, im going to walk/run 3 miles today and you attempt but fail, you are more likely to give up.

so start small... walk 30 min. piece of cake. anyone can walk a half an hour. do it three days a week.

each week after that, increase it by 10% so then walk 33 min three days a week for one week.

ect.
    it may seem small, like not enough, but in just 10 weeks, youve doubled your time that you are walking, while giving your body the time it needs to adjust to the new stress of excersizing.

i used it to get my shoulder back up to speed after two surgeries and many years of problems (when i was told i would never swim again!) and in a matter of months i was back swimming 1.5 hrs four times a week, i got back in shape, felt great, and barely felt the strain of getting there. i never failed because it was so easy, and so i never got discouraged!

anyway... it can apply to anything.

sorry for the long post, i was just amazed by how great it worked for me after years of not knowing what to do...
    i hope it can inspire someone else too!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Good sperm

That 10% rule is the best way to increase mileage when running too, it prevents injury and strain from going too far too fast.

i think thats great, thank you, it makes perfect sense this weekend i'm braving the changing rooms and going to purchase a swimming costume, been talking about it for years, but my boyfriend loves swimming and said he'd go with me until im brave enough to go alone. it's unfortunate that i live so close to the town centre though, i should start exploring furthur affield, maybe walk up to the buddhist centre its only about 2 miles out, if that

BlackCats

Swimming is good the only thing I find is that it gives me a massive appetite afterwards for some reason.

I read something on another forum yesterday about kelp. A girl said she had been vegan for many years but she didn't consume any iodine or kelp and she messed up her metabolism and gained 8 stone!

I realised I read that you were supposed to take kelp when I first turned vegan but hadn't been including it in my diet so I ran down to the shop today to buy some kelp tablets (then I realised I had vecon in the cupboard which has it in there but it has a weird taste so I hadn't been eating it.)

oooo kelp? ill have to have a look, never heard of that one (ive heard of kelp obviously but not vegans having to take supplements of it) i like seaweedy stuf anyway, so ill give it a shot

I've lost 40 pounds since January. I ate 1,000 calories a day for a long time, did a 10-day master cleanse in march, and now I'm getting a little off track but still slowly losing more weight, starting to add on more exercise now. I find that calorie reduction is the easiest way to lose weight, if you don't mind counting calories. Weight watchers is pretty much the same concept, and it works too. I did WW before in high school and lost some weight pretty quickly, but then I didn't stay on the program.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Weight Watchers also do a second diet that is quite good for vegans. You can eat as much as you want of healthy foods (which means you shouldn't struggle with hunger) but you can still have a few treats each week. Joining a WW group might help you with your motivation?

I have managed to lose the weight i wanted. I feel a lot better about myself but would still like to lose a few more pounds. The thing is i have big arms and in the summer its hard to cover them up so when i lose weight i lose it on my tummy and start to look skinny but with bag arms, so annoying.

i have the same problem, puffin- lots of floaty sleeved tops for me

adrianf12

Thumbs up Weight reduction advice

I think the best way to lose weight is to keep track of what I put in my mouth. I tend to eat too much of everything (Except for meat, of course ;-) )

I decided to start writing down what I eat and see how much "penalty" I get for everything I eat. So I searched the web for online nutrition food information sources. The most comfortable one I found was called nutritionscalc.com
    I recommend it to everyone. Using it, I managed to think twice before eating and today I am 20 lbs less than I started with (4 month ago).

Try it. It is located in the following url:
    http://www.nutritionscalc.com
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 08:23 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: The help I got trying to lose weight.

weight is a problem for me too
    i went from 14st to 17.5st in a year when i gave up smoking, i started nordic walking a year ago but,i've managed to loose a stone in the last three months by hill walking 5 to 10 miles a day for the last three months .... i've got fit legs arms and shoulders but i've got one hell of a beer belly, irinicly i don't drink!!!

eating less fatty food and bread has helped, i think...

have you checked out fitday.com??? its also a very useful website that lets you log your food, exercise, etc.
    Congrats for the weightloss!!
    Last edited by odalys; Jun 15th, 2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo

Smile Re: The help I got trying to lose weight.

i also use fitday and is very helpful, you can't just say "oh, that's probably only x cals" and approximate wrong. also useful for keeping track of protien, carbs, fats etc

adrianf12

Yes, but it's not as nice and intuitive to use.
    This one is much "cleaner". All in the same screen. Very comfortable.

i don't think i'd ever change the one i use now, fitday has all my custom foods on was just throwing another suggestion out there

I've lost 35 pounds since January. For a while I restricted to 1000 calories a day and it came off fast, but now I'm eating more calories, and exercising everyday, lots of variation. I did the master cleanse at one point, which took off 10 pretty quickly and permanently. I plan to lose about 20 more pounds this summer. I started running recently, and am doing an hour a day plus situps, etc. I feel so much better!
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

i use fitday and love it!

my only problem with it is why doesnt it track sugars???

i always thought that was weird!!!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Default Re: The help I got trying to lose weight

I'm not that big on counting calories and tracking everything I eat... fitday is great, has a lot of useful information, especially for those that don't really have a clue what they're putting in their mouth.

I seem to maintain a healthy weight when I THINK about what I'm eating as fuel for the body and not just the taste. I think about the nutrients and how all the ways they will benefit me and I don't end up overeating. It also helps make healthy choices (between organic cookies or a banana).

When I don't do this I eat 'til I drop...ha.

I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Good sperm

Odalys that is the best way to be. It's how I eat and my body self-regulates in this way. Dieting never works, it has to be a lifestyle change

nervine

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    Dieting never works, it has to be a lifestyle change
    +1

cut out the junk, simple

Quote nervine View Post
    cut out the junk, simple
    Easy for you to say!

The only way I can lose weight is to be so busy and active that I don't have time to cook or eat--I don't mean at all; I just mean if I'm sitting at a desk all day, I'm going to have a lot more time to stuff my face and order in. This past week, I've been taking care of a neighbor's dog, so I'm not even home, and I've been constantly on my feet. This makes eating a lot of fun, because it depends on "stolen moments"--strange as that may sound.

One very nice thing about having a vegan dog is we share a lot of apples and carrots; I'm certainly eating more apples and carrots than I otherwise would!

Hi all.

Just thought I would join in here and say I know how difficult it is to try and shift weight, my willpower is absolute zero.

I too have a crisp/bread issue and am trying to get out of it. Why oh why is dieting so hard!!

You have to be in the zone Spud Addict - it can take months or years. I am in the zone right now and the weight is falling off. I'm not going to do anything to snap out of it (the anything mainly being drinking which leads to binge eating )
    Silent but deadly :p

I was doing ok with my diet until my PMS caused me to binge eat. I lost some weight but then gained it again. I'm doing approximately 10 hours of exercise a week, a combination of kick boxing, cardio machines, yoga, pilates, aerobics, swimming. Its so hard for me to diet and I feel totally fed up now, I don't know want to do

FWIW "diets" have never worked for me: they just make me obsessive about food. When I've lost weight it's been through "healthy eating" and exercise (though not all that much, just brisk walking).

I had to give up crisps completely - I couldn't just have a few unfortunately (although I can now I've kicked the habit).

Maisie, with all that exercise you may be putting on muscle, mayn't you, which is good but might mask the fact that you're losing fat.

BlackCats

Maisie - that list of all the exercise you do made me tired just reading about it! That's brilliant that you do all that in one week.

I was trying to lose this half stone that I have put on but I know it is due to drinking alcohol again after staying away from it for 3 months. I just don't have motivation at moment.

Quote harpy View Post
    Maisie, with all that exercise you may be putting on muscle, mayn't you, which is good but might mask the fact that you're losing fat.
    Yes, thats what everyone keeps saying and I know they're right. Its just that I'll feel better when I can see some weight loss, I just wish someone could tell me roughly how long before that will happen. I'm impatient to get a bikini body
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

Quote odalys View Post
    I'm not that big on counting calories and tracking everything I eat... fitday is great, has a lot of useful information, especially for those that don't really have a clue what they're putting in their mouth.

I seem to maintain a healthy weight when I THINK about what I'm eating as fuel for the body and not just the taste. I think about the nutrients and how all the ways they will benefit me and I don't end up overeating. It also helps make healthy choices (between organic cookies or a banana).

When I don't do this I eat 'til I drop...ha.

I just thought I'd throw that out there.
    Odalys, I was just going to make a similar point. Fitday et al is great if you want to keep track of what you put in your mouth and/or if you're need/want to know how much of a certain nutrient you're eating (for example, if you're a new vegan and you're worried if you're getting enough protein, logging in your food to Fitday or another similar program will tell you how many grams you're getting).

I should also mention that for some of us (me!) the issue of diet and weight loss is one that is loaded with such negative psychological connotations that it can be counterproductive to log in your food. I know for me if I'm consciously trying to lose weight and get into the Fitday habit, I start obsessing with calories, even if my diet is going fine. I've recently begun a new way of eating (not for weight loss but for health) and out of curiosity I logged in my food and now I'm obsessing with the fact that I'm eating 1600 calories per day, when my Fitday totals have been closer to 1300-1400 in the past, even though I love what I'm doing and I'm feeling great and not like I'm overeating and I'm definitely losing weight.

I've found what works for me is keeping to a whole foods vegan diet made up of lots of veggies and fruits, beans, some good fats (avocado, olive oil, nuts), some whole grains, and a "treat" or two within reason (my current favorite is dry cranberries and dry cherries - a serving of those is enough to curb my sweet tooth in the evening and keep me away from the non-vegan junk food!)

Tam

Quote nervine View Post
    +1

cut out the junk, simple
    You've never been overweight or struggled with your body image regarding weight, have you?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    You've never been overweight or struggled with your body image regarding weight, have you?
    I have, for most of my life. In the past I have blamed my genes and winged about my weight but at the end of the day I'm fat because I've spent many years overeating, eating too much junk food and not exercising. I started a diet and exercise regime about 2 months ago. The diet, I must admit I haven't stuck to ridgedly every day but now I've devised a healthier eating plan and am in the process of increasing my exercise which is currently around 10 hours per week. Although I haven't lost any weight on the scales (I've been building muscle) I do look slimmer. If you want to lose weight you need to cut out the junk, eat healthy and exercise. It really is that simple!

I think part of the problem with losing weight - particularly as a Vegan - is there are lots of foods that are considered ok despite not being very helpful. Low fat as a common definition is actually far from low fat in actuality. Our bodies bodies get all the nutrients we need from food that's been tampered with as little as possible. How much the tampering affects us is different in everyone. The hardest part of a hardcore wholefoods diet is finding treats, but it is possible.

Also I must stress that weight loss needs to be for reasons of health not appearance. If you don't get this cracked, then you're setting yourself up for a fall.

right it's been a while since i've updated this post and people have been so kind to continuing adding advice and talking about their personal experiences (which is very very much appreciated)
    what exactly is the master cleanse?
    i've put back on all the weight i lost, however i'm working on a new approach. i'm trying to eat 'stereotypical' vegan foods, you know more grains, pulses etc and cut out the fake meats etc which are more lazy foods rather than much nutritional contents. ive been doing the exercise on prescription sessions which are an hour each twice a week and walking a lot more (had to miss it today, chronic period pains) so i'm just about sorted on the exercise front (i'm working on upping it from 2 miles a day to 4 when i feel better) and ive started going swimming at least once a week too.
    food still is an issue, however in the last week i've only had one bag of crisps and i've banned my boyfriend from having them in the house, he has to buy grapes instead i've been cooking a lot more from scratch too, with lots of fresh veg etc, my nearest to junk food in the house now is some cans of baked beans (i reckon beans on toast is far better than pizza on a lazy evening, albeit laden with salt and sugar)
    my pms cravings have gone from crisps and chips and onto bread. which isn't great but i can't eat nearly as much bread as crisps calorie wise lol, though i am phasing myself onto ryvita, rice cakes and oatcakes. i've been making home made pates as well which has got the thumb up from the boyfriend
    i have been trying to have cereals for breakfast but had crumpets yesterday and today and i did have a sandwich for lunch, but i put loads of salad in it to compensate. now i think i have the crisp habit kicked the next is definitely bread.

alcohol is a major hurdle, one which is going to take mucho willpower. though when the ocal pub ran out of sam smiths pure brew the only vegan drink was soda water hehe

cobweb

i really need to lose weight, my problem is motivation and will-power .

i agree with Hemlock, i have been 'in the zone' before and lost a lot of weight but broke the spell when i ate out once which seemed to trigger off my cravings again . must get back in that magical zone .

i've been eating more grains and pulses lately for my health, and then doing some checks online tonight am shocked by their calorie density . i was treating them pretty much as 'free foods' .

have now designed (another) new plan which i'll be shopping for this week - good luck to everyone struggling with weight issues!

sugarmouse

I lost over half a stone recently..the way I did it was
    -eating loads and loads of salads, having this as a starter kind of then snacking on it,leaving less room fr nasty foods.
    -cutting down on gooey carbs like bread, in favour of beans and buckwheat
    -making sure lunch was substantial so my metabolism was kept up
    -not putting sugar in my tea/coffee
    -running for 25 minutes 2-3 times a week

Have any of you read Skinny Bitch? I was in the "Skinny Bitch zone" for 3 weeks and lost 5 pounds but I can never seem to keep it up. Any advice?
    here comes the sun

Ginger I was doing the skinny bitch diet but it only lasted about a week. I can't do it when I've got PMS as I get mad food cravings and my PMS seems to be lasting longer and longer. I only get a week to 10 days per month of feeling normal