Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Weight reduction advice

Default Re: Stomach Shrinkage?

I have heard of people drinking a bunch and geting sick, My Mother (a nurse) was actually telling me of people drinking a bunch for "diets" and "cleanseing" and coming in extremely ill.

Here's some information I found;

Hyponatremia, or water intoxication, happens when blood sodium concentration drops to an abnormally low level. Under extreme circumstances this causes rapid and dangerous swelling of the brain that can result in seizures, coma and death. Hyponatremia is often associated with a combination of prolonged exercise and ingestion of too much fluid (water) too quickly. It is also possible for hyponatremia to occur without excessive drinking when a person is exercising for long periods of time and experiences large sodium losses through sweat.

Signs and symptoms of low blood sodium include:

• headache
    • confusion
    • nausea
    • cramping
    • bloated stomach
    • swollen fingers and ankles
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

cobweb

that's so confusing as i have been told to drink more for the above problems before!!. at one point i was drinking several litres of water per day and i did notice it was upsetting my digestion so i cut down..........v.interesting.

Hyponatremia is extremely rare. Far more issues arise from dehydration than over hydration; to worry about it is like focusing on anorexic cocaine-using devil-worshipers and ignoring obesity. I drink between 2 - 3 gallons of water per day and work out for 2 hours per day six days per week and I'm perfectly healthy.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

Quote Mila View Post
    Hyponatremia is extremely rare. Far more issues arise from dehydration than over hydration; to worry about it is like focusing on anorexic cocaine-using devil-worshipers and ignoring obesity. I drink between 2 - 3 gallons of water per day and work out for 2 hours per day six days per week and I'm perfectly healthy.
    two to three gallons???!!! isn't that like 8-12 litres?!

That is scary.

yup...according to my handy dandy converter (http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/) 3 us liquid gallons is 11.3L

perhaps our good friend meant litres, as that is i think the recommended daily liquid intake (2L)?

i don't get anywhere near that i don't think...i'm very bad about drinking enough.

amanda

Quote flying plum View Post
    i don't get anywhere near that i don't think...i'm very bad about drinking enough.

amanda
    me either, in fact i'm very bad at drinking enough liquid really.

cobweb

i'm always thirsty so drink loads

My stomach is HUGE. I mean the one inside my abs. I certainly have felt it stretch, and if I eat less, it shrinks.

As for water... I love it. I can see how drinking too much or too little can do harm, but water alone is my favorite drink. Why the harm?
    context is everything

I agree, rodolfo - I love drinking water and i will drink it within limits. But drinking gallons a day (or just a glass) is beyond limits.

No, I meant gallons. I'm at the point where if I'm not working out, I have to be drinking something, or I feel awkward. Normal human kidneys can handle 15 or so liters per day. If I want to be the right shape for figure skating, I have to find some way to deal with this compulsive urge to eat all the time. It's just a matter of spacing it out and not gorging.

Besides, all these antihistamines make it easy.

oh my goodness! are you not in the loo ALL day? the only time i get anywhere near 2L a day is when i'm revising (like now) and i have a bottle of water on my desk. and i find i'm up and down to the loo all day!

amanda

In the beginning I was, but now I either don't take notice of it or my bladder stretched out, too. I think I'll count today just out of curiosity. =D

hey guys I by no means meant that people should purposefully limit the amount of water they drink and dehydration IS way more prevalent than overhydration. Also the more athletic a person is the more water they need, the only thing I meant was that drinking HUGE amounts of water at once for reasons such as detox and to pass a drug test especially when your body is not used to that much at once ARE dangerous, but I didn't by anymeans mean people should limit or avoid it, I'm never without a water bottle and feel like crap on the rare occasion that I don't have it
    "Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin world go 'round"-Queen

What do you drink then mjnewbould? I can' think what would be an alternative because coffee and tea are said to leach vit D, squash either has sugar or dodgy looking chemicals and fruit juices are expensive and not good for your teeth. To me that only leaves cider, but I've heard a rumour that there is alcohol in it. My son has a syndrome that means his kidneys are vulnerable so should he drink water or should he have somthing else???? I'm all kuffufled!

cobweb

janet i'm also eagerly awaiting this answer from mjnewbould...........and surely not too many people can have water related deaths?

I think that you can get all your fluid from foods - fruit, veg etc - and that it's more viablefor your body than just drinking water. Perhaps that's what he means.

I don't drink much water. I drink a lot of tea (made with water), both the herbal kind and the usual kind.
    I also drink pure no additives or sugar added fruit cordials and pure fruit juices diluted with water.
    I've had to drink large quantities of water all at once on occasion to get a proper picture on a lower body scan. Most days I don't drink plain water. Maybe mjnewbould drinks similar?
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Default Overweight

Hey everyone, I'm new here, and My name is Carman. I've been a vegetarian for about 3 1/2 years, but I wen't vegan last july. I am about 5'8.5 and 178 pounds. I am a 16 yr old boy btw. My problem is, even though I am a vegan, I am still very overweight. (I need to loose about 20 pounds to be in the healthy weight range for my height and lifestyle) do you guys have any tips on what to eat as a vegan to lose weight, but still be getting all of my nutrients?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 14th, 2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Overweight

It all boils down to calories in versus calories out. I have lost almost 40lbs now and I did it with a calorie deficit. The first thing you need to do is find out how many calories your body burns in a day then subtract about 200-300 calories and that will be your daily goal.

Make sure you are eating balanced meals, watch the fats and sugars and you will be fine.

The other thing is don't worry too much. Do what Nobylspoon advises; it's good advice - but remember, all you need to do is lose a small amount of weight per week/month/whatever. Don't rush and let your body slowly get used to slightly less food. You don't need to lose X pounds in X weeks, do you? Don't be hard on yourself.

Simply being vegan might do the trick - have patience!

As for nutrients, two pieces of advice: go for variety in food, especially fresh food. Secondly, I have a really excellent book by Stephen Walsh called Plant Based Nutrition and Health, , available from the Vegan Society in England, which explains in a not-too-complex way what all the bits and pieces in a vegan diet actually do. It taught me a lot about food balance (very important) and gives guidelines for optimum intakes.

Some people are naturally bigger than the average, too, as we all know, so don't get hung up. And oh, welcome to the forum!

I am 5'4 and I weigh 146 (4 pounds down from the day I went vegan). I have hypothyroidism and take meds for it, but it is very difficult for me to lose weight. I do not like my weight right now- I have always weighed in the 120-130 range. I thought being vegetarian for 2 years would help me to lost weight, but it did not. So, with my diet being vegan, will I stay the same weight too? I do know I need to exercise- grrrrr- but I do not eat any fat, sugar or white flour and my body still holds on to the weight.

Quote carmanspoto View Post
    even though I am a vegan, I am still very overweight.
    Quote DavidT View Post
    Simply being vegan might do the trick - have patience!
    Quote lorikan View Post
    I thought being vegetarian for 2 years would help me to lost weight, but it did not. So, with my diet being vegan, will I stay the same weight too? I do know I need to exercise- grrrrr- but I do not eat any fat, sugar or white flour and my body still holds on to the weight.
    Being vegetarian/vegan does not in itself help you lose or gain weight, Nobylspoon is quite correct with this statement;

Quote Nobylspoon View Post
    It all boils down to calories in versus calories out.

Welcome to the Vegan Forum, Carman. Veganism is not a weight loss plan. In fact, using a vegan diet solely as a means to lose weight can prove unhealthy. I'm not saying that is the approach you are taking, but one cannot expect to shed pounds just because they have adopted a vegan lifestyle.

Lots of junk foods are vegan-friendly, and yet will prohibit weight loss. In fact, in some cases it could cause weight gain. My best advice:

1. Drink lots of water. 8-10 8oz. servings a day is what is recommended.

2. Try and avoid analogs (aka, meat substitutes/"hand-hold" foods). Veggie burgers and meatless hot dogs and guilt free "chicken" nuggets are great every once and awhile; however, they are usually loaded with sodium which can cause water retention in the body.

3. To the best of my knowledge, I believe most sodas are vegan friendly, but they aren't health friendly. If you drink sodas and you're wanting to reach and maintain a healthy weight, I'd highly recommend cutting them out.

4. Chips, cookies without any animal ingredients, candies, etc. are a nice treat, but shouldn't be considered daily snack foods. Definitely limit intake of high-calorie/high-sugar snack foods and stick with fruits, veggies, baked corn chips (low sodium or unsalted, preferably) and other more healthy alternatives.

5. Exercise! Diet alone will not promote significant, long-term weight management. Your body needs to burn the calories you take in, whether it's calories from a salad or calories from a piece of vegan cake.

cobweb

may i just say that, depending on your build, for a young man at 5.8.5 and weighing 176 you really don't sound very overweight to me!

CrunchyMomma said it all basically.

I know so many vegetarians (and one former vegan) who have gained a lot of weight. It's due to not choosing the right foods (aka the vegan-friendly chips, soda, etc) and lack of exercise. If you adopt an all-natural diet, free of chemicals, added sugar, and white flour then there's no reason why you should not lose weight.

If you are a 16 year old boy you should be gaining weight, in particular muscle and bone. You are still growing and should be for the next few years.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I used to think the same thing when I went vegan "For sure I can lose weight this way!" And I actually ended up gaining wait. It really does all come down to exercising, but eating healthy as well. Being vegan at 16, is a great idea, and there's no reason to freak out about gaining some weight at your age.

One thing I'm learning is to NOT focus on how many pounds I lose in a certain amount of time, or how thin/fat I may look everyday. I'm working out everyday, sticking to my vegan diet, and slowly but surely I'm losing weight the right way.

Good luck, and let us know how it's going. If you ever need any encouragement/motivation, hit me up!, because knowing your goals is half the battle.

Default Re: Weight reduction advice

Hey does anyone know anything about msg in foods and weight gain. I ate some snacks, chips with msg flavouring in it and I couldn't stop eating it, I was totally addicted to it and knew it. I looked on the box (ingredients) and sure enough it said msg. Has anyone decided to go off msg food and lose weight, I am seriously thinking about doing this as since becoming vegan I've only last about 1 kg. (week 4 now).

Cheers.

]http://www.youtube.com/v/txiVDY-prk4[/URL] I hope I have linked this correctly

Default vegan food and weight loss

hey all. over the past year, ive dropped 80 lbs. i still have about 25 more to loose... i had been vegitarian for the entire year, but about 5 months ago i made the swtich to being vegan... my weightloss has come to a standstill =O does anyone have any advice/tips on loosing weight AND being vegan....

Default Re: vegan food and weight loss

What types of food are you eating, and what kinds of exercise?

well to be honest, exercise none. its hard to fit it in my 40 hr work week =\ i lost the 80lbs without exercising as well. i just dropped to low cal days and watching what i ate... a basic day for me includes : for breakfast - a bowl (2 cups) of kamut puffs, w/ half cup of unsweeted almondmilk.
    lunch - a cup of beans w/ tblspon salsa and 2 "gardein" faux chicken cutlets.
    snack - 2 cups of fruit. some baby carrots. perhaps freeze dried fruit packs
    dinner - a flatwrap with a few tblspons of humus and lettuce. 2 cups of veggies and tofu shikatiri noodles w soysauce.
    snack - 2 cups of fruit again

this is useally my day. sometimes i may vary or change, depends on when i work and what i pack, but thats pretty much my days

Do you know how many carbs and fats you taking in? I'm eating around 2000-2500 calories a day but that's with a good 1-3 hours of hiking every day and half an hour of interval running/jogging every other day.

Even a 20 minute walk in the morning is enough to get the blood flowing and kick start the metabolism before you have breakfast.

i eat about 1150 cals a day

Quote gothdragon911 View Post
    i eat about 1150 cals a day
    Holy crap. No wonder you lost so much weight, you're starving yourself. I would suggest picking the calories up to atleast 1800 a day, and make sure you're getting the recommended daily intake of vitamins and minerals. That will be healthier for you and could potentially yield better results. Your body isn't stupid If it notices that you're not eating as much as you used to, it preserves as much energy as it can(as fat) and tries to run more efficiently... I'm not sure how much you weigh or where you would be for your recommended weight, but maybe you don't need to lose 25 pounds.
    http://www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/...ght+Calculator

Default Need help w vegan diet

trying to loose weight and be vegan =]

i eat about 1,100 cals a day and about 10 grams of fat a day.

i take multivitamin every morning.

any tips?

i recently switched to being vegan, and trying to loose alot of weight at the same time. any tips?
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 24th, 2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Need help w vegan diet

variety. a whole ton of it on your plate, colours and plenty raw veg/fruits.
    nom.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Hello - unless a doctor has told you otherwise, I would have thought 1100 calories wasn't enough - very low calorie diets can be counterproductive because your body thinks there's a famine on and tries to store as much energy as possible, or so I've read. But there are other people here who know more about it than I do and will tell us what they think.

A lot of people lose weight without really trying when they first go vegan so maybe you could concentrate on eating a good variety of wholefoods, especially vegetables, make sure you get some exercise each day, and see what happens.

I agree with Harpy on this, 1200 calories is the least amount anyone should live on daily. I'm quite short (5ft 2) and have been told many times that 1200 is the least amount of calories. If you have reached a plateau, I would suggest increasing your phyiscal activity, many even splitting it up so you do some in the morning and then some again later in the day instead of a one huge chunk.
    Silence is golden, but duck tape is silver...

ive lost 85lbs over the year. i want to loose 20 more

Default Re: yet another "i want to lose weight thread"...(sorry)

I would post the most simple and best tip to lose weight..
    Eat less calories as your body needs and try to burn extra calories with the help of exercise..
    Weight loss is dependent on these two factors only.

leedsveg

Quote Georger View Post
    Eat less calories as your body needs and try to burn extra calories with the help of exercise..
    Weight loss is dependent on these two factors only.
    Makes sense to me.

lv

I personally am through with counting calories. I'm on my feet a lot and found it difficult losing weight before vegan and raw foods. I've only been vegan just over a month...have added a lot of raw foods..no calorie counting or extra exercise. Lost 3 pounds in the past 2 weeks and am happy to continue this way.

I personally am through with counting calories. I'm on my feet a lot and found it difficult losing weight before vegan and raw foods. I've only been vegan just over a month...have added a lot of raw foods..no calorie counting or extra exercise. Lost 3 pounds in the past 2 weeks and am happy to continue this way.

Quote Georger View Post
    Eat less calories as your body needs
    Wait, wouldn't failing to meet nutrition requirements result in failure to meet nutritional requirements? I'm not sure if m personally OK with eating less than my body physically needs. Kilojoules are like nutrients - you can have too much/many, but a baseline requirement is there.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

RubyDuby

I would say less calories than your body needs to maintain your current weight.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Best tip from me: Stay away from Oreos like they're evil Martians covered in chocolate and sugar invading Earth.
    “We do not have the right to be not offended” -Someone on Earth

Quote stupefy! View Post
    Best tip from me: Stay away from Oreos like they're evil Martians covered in chocolate and sugar invading Earth.
    Yup! Co-sign.

I'm sort of trying to lose weight. I've put a bit on in the last few years due to medical business and my satiety is really out of whack. It isn't at a point where it's a problem for my health at all (I'm OK stats and counts wise), but I'd prefer to be stronger and a bit lighter. Basically, I've started walking more* and being more mindful of how much I eat (I eat healthfully pretty naturally). I've upped my soy milk intake a wee bit, just so I feel fuller and get some extra nutrients. I almost wish I drank alcohol, just so I could give it up and lose a few cm - that's worked for every drinker I know who's tried it!

* I can't drive, so this is not too difficult to factor in.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

I using the book, Eat to Live, for weight reduction while being vegan. The recommendations are that you eat plenty of fresh fruit, veg, and legumes, but limit your starch portions to once a day.
    Flesh eating is unprovoked murder. ~ Benjamin Franklin