Thread: Vegan Toronto

Default Vegan Toronto

My friends and I are coming to Toronto for a a birthday trip mid-September. Can anyone offer any dining suggestions. I'm the only vegan (in fact, the only vegetarian) in the group, so I fear spending a weekend (my birthday, too) eating nothing but salads.

Thank you.

Default Re: Need help from Toronto Vegans

http://www.happycow.net/north_america/canada/index.html

I'm not sure exactly where you are going but make sure you say something like "We Have to go to Ontario! They have a vegan restauraunt that serves chocolate mouse!" Or whatever. Seems to me that when I say I would like to go somewhere but don't really act excited my friends usually forget about it and I end up eating salad. Happy Birthday!
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Hope it's not too late...

Fresh by Juice For Life. I've only been to the Queen street location (there are three) and it's always great.

If you want to go ethnic, try Addis Abbaba

If you change your mind or don't like it, Boom Shiva is right next door to AA. The food here is good but it has more of a bar/diner feel to it.

La Commensal is okay but it's buffet style (I'm not a fan) a lot of the food is quite bland and luke-warm.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
    TJ

Fressen is awesome! Went there when i visited Toronto this summer. The gluten Roast is really good. Don't get the ravioli though, there's only 3 pieces. Has a nice atmosphere as well.
    "None so blind as those who do not see, none so deaf as those who do not hear."

Thanks so much!!! I leave super early tomorrow (Friday), and I'm glad I checked for replies before leaving. I'm looking forward to a really fun trip. Now it will be better since I have some vegan dining recommendations.

Thumbs up Re: Need help from Toronto Vegans

I spent the last 5 days in Toronto with my girlfriend for new years, and upon asking around for a good veggie/vegan restaurant, someone suggested Fresh (i think someone mentioned this place before). We went about 4 times to the Bloor location near Spedina.

Good god this place is my new favorite restaurant in the world. They have killer smoothies (I was partial to the create your own, and invented: Soy milk, pomegranate, strawberries, dark cocoa and almond butter...to die for). The soup of the day (which i had... every day) was always awesome. The rice bowls (sooo many combinations) and the wraps and salads and platters (we enjoyed the middle eastern platter..hummus, falafel, tomatoes, olives, flax pitas...) are almost all vegan unless otherwise stated..I think one thing had goat cheese maybe and the rest were fine. The service was amazing, everyone was so nice, the decor is funky and beautiful.. If you can ever make it here, I definitely suggest it. It states right on the menu that you don't need to be concerned about hidden ingredients or unorganic product or unnamed sweeteners.. we just loved it!

This is too late but supposedly there's an awesome Chinese place in China Town (vegetarian restaurant). I can't remember the name but someone recommended it on another forum.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Yst

Bo De Duyen is my own favourite vegan restaurant in the city (call themselves vegetarian, but I'm pretty sure there are no eggs or dairy on the menu, and never have been):

http://www.bodeduyen.com/

King's Cafe in Kensington is also a delightful option, and has a vegetarian supermarket built into the shop, so you can kill two birds with one stone:

http://www.torontolife.com/guide/res...ian/kings-caf/

Thumbs up Re: Need help from Toronto Vegans

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    This is too late but supposedly there's an awesome Chinese place in China Town (vegetarian restaurant). I can't remember the name but someone recommended it on another forum.
    I went to that restaurant my last day in Toronto. It was awesome. My friends aren't vegetarian, but one of them has eliminated beef and pork because she loved the fake ham in the dish she ordered there (it reminded me of the pork that is in traditional fried rice).

That's great.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Communing in Toronto

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with any vegan groups in the Toronto area. I’ve never really participated in a vegan group so I’m not sure what kind of group I’m looking for but any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks!

you dont have to worry too much. alot of places here are vegan/veggie aware. A great place is Pickle Barell... they have vegetarian stirfry and it is delicious...its chow mein, with watercress.. and it has wine sprinkled on it... verrrrry yummy.. also has string beans..so its very enjoyable..you'll love tht. its the only thing i order when i go there..sooo good!

Andre

Default Re: Communing in Toronto

Hey LuC,

Laura and I run a group called 'Compassion for Animals' in the Hamilton/Burlington/Toronto area. We've had such a great response from the public, police, and media; they LOVE us!

We've been on CH Hamilton News (excellent coverage on the Seal Hunt) and in the Hamilton Spectator three times since our group was founded on Feb 7, 2007.

We will be having a vegan awareness campaign on April 21st at a really easily accessable location in downtown hamilton. I know it's not Toronto, but it's a quick ride away and you are welcome to join in!

We get massive public attention in our campaigns as we campaign in a heavy foot and car traffic area. We turn eyes and gain attention with several posters, a big banner, literature, and a heavy-duty megaphone that can shake pavement.

We'll be giving out free vegetarian starter kits, DVD's, and stickers. I've just ordered about 5000 pamplets on veg*anism and we are so excited to distribute them!

We also plan to have vegan potlucks which are followed by movies, in a few months time. I'd love to have them sooner - these things take time to plan if we want them to run awesome!

You can find out more about us at our website: http://compassionforanimals.ca

Default Visiting Toronto in the summer

I'm staying in Toronto over summer (Scarborough, to be precise) for two months.

I've been twice before, but this time I'm now vegan.

I don't want to bother my friend's mum by having her cook vegan meals for me, and so it would be nice to buy my own ingredients and cook meals for myself.

However, I have absolutely no idea where to buy them from.

So does anyone know of some good places to buy vegan supplies? And reasonably priced ones too. And organic fruit and veg too, if possible.

Thanks.
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 17th, 2007 at 08:46 AM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: Visiting Toronto in the summer

Essence of Life
    2075 Lawrence Ave East, Toronto, Ontario (at /in Scarborough)
    Tel: 416-506-0345
    * Organic produce, bulk staples, vitamins and supplements, personal care products, and more. Open Mon-Thur 10am-7:30pm, Fri 10am-8pm, Sat 10am-6pm, Sun 11am-5pm.
    * http://www.essenceoflifeorganics.com/

Native Organics Natural Foods
    909 Queen Street E, Toronto, Ontario (M4M 1J4) (at Logan Ave)
    Tel: 416-469-1010
    * Health food store stocks fresh organic fruits and vegetables, personal care items, grocery, pet care, and more. Also a deli that offers prepared foods and juices. Open daily from 10am.

There are many more. Check them out at www.happycow.net . Click on North America --> Canada --> Toronto.

Default Re: Vegan Toronto

My favourite place downtown is Urban Herbivore -- on Oxford and Augusta at the top of Kensington Market. They's got organic, vegan, and locally bought food that makes really tasty sandwiches and salads, fresh juices and baked yummies. My favourite sandwich is the chimichurri gluten! Their website: www.herbivore.to Also in this link is Fressen, which I havent checked out, but I haven't heard anything bad about it!

As for places in more places in the Toronto area, check out veg.ca. It is the website for the Toronto Vegetarian Association and they have a Veg. directory on the site for places to eat in Toronto. There's lots!

Default Re: Visiting Toronto in the summer

Hey Ruth,

In the Scarborough area, I have come across:
    Essence of Life Natural Foods. 2075 Lawrence Ave. (at Warden) 416-335-0234
    They have an organic emphasis as well.
    Nelakee Vegetarian Foods. 200 Silver Star Blvd #330. 416-335-4388
    They have a large selection of frozen vegetarian foods. It's also a cafe and does take-out.

I hope that they are useful!

Quote Yst View Post
    Bo De Duyen is my own favourite vegan restaurant in the city (call themselves vegetarian, but I'm pretty sure there are no eggs or dairy on the menu, and never have been):

http://www.bodeduyen.com/

Oooh, I think I've been there. Hmm...although really all I remember is that it was a totally vegetarian chinese restaurant in china town, so there are probably loads of them! A veggie friend of mine lives there and it was his fave restaurant. We ate a LOT of gluten

Thanks for the replies. I've tried a few places and found Essence of Life to be my favourite.

I have another question. Does anyone know of any good vegan tattooists in the Toronto area?

I know of a vegan British Columbia-based tatoo artist (Sarah Kramer; she's also an author of many cookbooks), which is on the other side of the country though. Her website is www.govegan.net . I'm sure that it has contact information and/or helpful links regarding tatoos.

Was in Toronto a few days ago and went to the "Spice Thai" restaurant/cafe again. They offer many veggie and vegan choices and i must say it is some of the yummiest Thai food i have tasted, very spicy / authentic. The kind lady that served us even asked about eggs in the veggie rice dish, before i got the chance to ask for the dishes to be prepared vegan.

Edit* dug up some infos

http://www.spicethaicafe.com/

250 Queens Quay West
    Toronto, ON
    (416) 598-0600
    Last edited by Beancakes; Aug 18th, 2007 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added info

My birthday is in a few weeks and I'm going to Toronto for the day - I might have to check that place out!

Vegan Traveler

I believe the Vegetarian Fair is downtown Toronto the weekend of September 7th..?? Might be worth checking out if you're there
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

If that's true, I will go on that weekend instead of the weekend after. (My birthday is September 12th). I'll look into it, and if you (or anyone) has any information on it, I'd greatly appreciate it being shared

Vegan Traveler

Good idea! It should be a blast.. I was planning on selling soap there, but I'm not going to make it.. Look out for a Howard's Vegan Soap basket in their raffle though Here's the link, it is the weekend of the 7th:

http://veg.ca/content/view/52/83/

Enjoy! And make sure you let us know how it is!
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

I just stumbled across a review of a place called Hibiscus. It sounds great and I want to go now! I've got a serious craving for tasty salad
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Unfortunately, just because Thai food doesn't have egg in it doesn't mean it doesn't have oyster or fish sauce. A number of Thai places in Toronto offer "vegetarian" options that have such ingredients.

Fressen (on Queen W) is one of the most amazing restaurants I have ever been in.

It's vegan.

My friend and I went one Friday night for dinner (although I hear their bunch is spectacular too), and we were completely floored by the food. Delicious by anyone's standards.

If only there was somewhere like that around here, so I could take those who claim vegan food is tasteless and bland.

Quote Ruth View Post
    Fressen (on Queen W) is one of the most amazing restaurants I have ever been in.

It's vegan.

My friend and I went one Friday night for dinner (although I hear their bunch is spectacular too), and we were completely floored by the food. Delicious by anyone's standards.

If only there was somewhere like that around here, so I could take those who claim vegan food is tasteless and bland.
    Yes, Fressen is amazing, as is another more casual place owned by the same people: Urban Herbivore. UH has the best sandwiches in the world.