Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Norwich!

Default Re: Vegan Norwich!

My friend kayleigh from Deerly beloved bakery is now supplying Rainbow and the work shop on earlham rd with delicious vegan goodies such as whoopie pies, fudge dreamies, bakewells and chocolate ganache tarts nom nom nom! Some of you may know her from the greenhouse, i'm soo pleased norwich has finally got some good places to eat.

Up the Norwich vegan massive! I've been away from the forum for a while and feel robbed that I've been missing out on regular cakey goodness! Veggiecat, will you be making any more appearances or do I need to make a trip to hillside?

My OH and I have had a few of Kayleigh's cakes from Rainbow which were very nice. Always on the lookout for vegan goodies!
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Hello spud addict -We are still supplying Hillside and have our regular stall at Creake Abbey Studios farmers market. We have also been asked to supply a new veggie restaurant/deli in Trowse called River Green Cafe which should be opening in July....look out for them on facebook for more details.

^ I'm excited about it already!
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

namaste

Lots of vegan goings on in Norwich now but has our fine city ever had a vegan food fayre? Maybe its time to show off what we have here in East Anglia, Ive lived here for eight years now and can remember a vegetarian day at The Assembly House but no vegan events.

I'm going to Norfolk on holiday in September lol We're planning to go into Norwich one day, any suggestions for a delicious vegan lunch somewhere?

namaste

If the weathers good Loving Hut as theres no seating but a nice park opposite. For an ethical eatery with a limited but tasty menu try The Greenhouse and if you want to shop in Norwichs largest healthfood shop theres a veggie restaurant above but the online reviews suck! Id go to the hut, its the nuts!!!!

namaste

Ooops! Forgot to say "happy holidays"!

Gosh! Yes, since I've been away from the forum, this thread has bounced along! I now work for a certain local wholefoods enterprise in the warehouse and I.LOVE.IT. I have never been happier

I agree with you namaste - Pulse does indeed suck. They fed us dairy cream when we had chosen a vegan set menu. NOT happy. So we got the meal for free. And I have noticed since then they have greatly reduced the vegan choice. They play more to the vegetarian set. Which is better than nothing, really! I mustn't remain bitter
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

namaste

Would that be Rainbow then Pusskins? I was on the phone to them only this afternoon enquiring about an account. Late 2011, early 2012 there's going to be another vegan business in town so watch this space, I'll post details as I progress.

Excellent! Do you know who you spoke to? That's so cool. Looking forward to more vegan delights in Norwich I have dreamed for a long time of opening an exclusively vegan shop - if money were to be made in it here in Nardge!

namaste

I think it was Richard, seemed a nice chap. There is money to be made in vegan products and Norwich is becoming quite a mecca for alternative types. Due to my present business I've met hundreds of locals and its my impression that Norfolk is home to a growing community of people wanting to leave the materialistic crazy world and settle into a slower more holistic way of life. Of course, this means that theres an ever growing number of vegans and vegetarians and this kind of lifestyle goes hand in hand with diet and shopping habbits. I predict that Norwich, over time, will become very much like Brighton, just on a slighty smaller scale.

I'm really pleased for you. And I will very much want to be part of your vegan crew, ready to take on Norwich! I look forward to hearing how things develop with you. Yep, Richard is the main man at Rainbow - he's the one who started it all. Very, very nice guy, indeed

namaste

Rainbow's a great shop, I don't know how I'd cope without them. They stock everything I need and my eldest Oliver (3) loves grabbing a trolly basket and walking around the place like its his own lol! The staff find it cool that a 3 year old knows all the different tofu and understands what vegan is.

namaste

Ok, more news from Norwich................I've heard through local contacts that were about to see a raw cafe open on Unthank Road. Details are sketchy at the moment but its replacing an already established eatery, maybe with the same name. I've been told that the place is tiny which would be a good thing as raw is a niche market and their overheads will be lower, thus a good chance of them succeeding. If anyone can shed more light on this please spill the beans!

I heard about that about a month ago. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens!

namaste

Me too! I went on a raw food day in June with Karen Knowler, it was very interesting and gave me lots of inspiration. Of course "raw" doesn't mean "vegan" but I would have though most of the dishes would be ok.

My partner and I are beginning the transition to raw. Aye, not 'totally' raw - but majority diet raw. We're so excited about it We're looking at what raw food events we can go to in the coming months for inspiration and face-to-face advice!

namaste

Did you know there's a vegan cake stall in the market? Its called Rhubarb & Custard and offers dairy and egg free cakes, cookies etc as well as gluten free options. Its situated right in the middle of the greasy spoons so if you can stomach the smell of fried bacon and sausages its well worth a look. Go on, support yet another vegan friendly business......go Norwich!!!

Yep - it's great, isn't it? The choice is ever-expanding. Norwich does appear to be doing well for vegan things!

I have heard so many great things about the Loving Hut, need to check it out sometime!
    I agree about the Greenhouse Trust, I volunteer there and it's so cool being able to be involved with an operation like theirs because it's all so fresh and the ingredients are fantastic! They have also recently been developing a burger which is sooo tasty!!! lol

For more info on the RAW cafe...

http://livingfoodlovinglife.blogspot.com/

Run by the lovely Jo
    http://www.rawathlete.co.uk
    http://www.vegapedia.org

namaste

Many thanks for the link Robbie, it all sounds great!

It does look fantastic!

Has anyone been to/know anyone who has been to the River Green Cafe in Trowse? Been open for around a month now I think??

On another note, when I was living in Lincoln I was really heavily involved in organising the first, second and third veggie/vegan food fayres there so if anyone was thinking of trying to get an event running I'd be more than interested to help! lol

namaste

Hi nickyb, I know folks who've been and the feed back has been positive. However its only got a limit amount of vegan dishes and the prices seem very high i.e £11 for a shepherds pie! That said comments on other forums have complimented the staff, décor and ambience. If the location was more central I know of half a dozen friends who would have made a booking but its not. I feel this is its only downfall.

As for a Norwich vegan fair, this has been on my mind for some time. Over the last few years Norwich has seen an increase in vegan based company's and I feel the time is now right to seriously consider an event. I'll pm you my number and lets have a chat.

Yeah I agree, the vegan dishes are few and far between and it is pretty pricey, again, the location is certainly a downside for business!

Yeah I think an event in Norwich would go down really well these days! Thanks, will be in touch!

namaste

Great talking to you Nicky, it was nice to chat about vegan issues with someone who understands. Lets keep in touch and once I've moved we'll get things moving.

Wow! This sounds exciting First, we get our own Pride - next, a vegan fair on the horizon! Norwich is the place to be!

namaste

I went to the Brighton Pride a couple of times with my gay mates and had a blast. What was the Norwich one like Pusskins? Did they have a venue or was it on the streets? As for the Vegan Fair NickyB, myself and Robbie have shown interest in organising the event so I reckon it will happen, we've just got to meet up, get to know each other and get the ball rolling.

The Norwich Pride was good Peter Tatchell was there! I got to shake his hand and get my photo taken with him. Well pleased. It's been the same sort of thing every year (mind, this was only the third year.) Stalls and stuff in the Forum, and then all sorts of things going on at Chapelfield Gardens with the parade starting there and then wending it's way through the Haymarket and Gentleman's Walk, up to the City Hall, past there and back to the forum. And then all sorts of entertainment going on.

I would like to help in a low-key way in a vegan fair. Do let me know what you guys are thinking!

namaste

Were checking out venues right now with the intention of covering costs with sponsorship. nickyb has got quotes for public liability and were both working on marketing. Robbie has started on a facebook page and will hopefully (Robbie?) be taking care of the techy stuff. What would you like to help with Pusskins?

Well, what do you need and I can see if I can do it I don't really know what's involved.

namaste

Its in the early stages right now but once we've got a venue confirmed and sponsorship covered I'm sure were going to need volunteers setting up and help make the day run smoothly. If you have any contacts within local vegan business's that would also be a great help as well as any skills you may feel we could utilise.

We'll certianly need extra help on the day itself I know that much!!

I discovered yesterday that Butlers in vauxhall street is open again under new ownership. Its a bit out of the way but worth a look, its only a short walk from chapelfield gardens.
    They do outside catering as well as cooked products and coffee.
    How lucky we are in norwich to have so much choice.
    The cookies at rubarb and custard on the market are very very nice.
    Looking foward to the veggie festival with yet more things to try.
    Hope all the plans are going well.

Quote Linxie View Post
    I'm going to Norfolk on holiday in September lol We're planning to go into Norwich one day, any suggestions for a delicious vegan lunch somewhere?
    I went to the Loving Hut which was great for lunch. Such a great holiday, hope to be back in Norfolk soon. And next time hopefully get to try some of these amazing cakes I am reading about here!

I have also been on previous visits (boyf's family live on the broads) to the Brick Kiln at Little Plumstead and always had a nice meal.

The Veggie Fayre is going well thanks!
    Here is the event if any of you are one facebook ...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php...05323872911542

Please feel free to invite anyone you think will be interested in finding out about veg*nisn/anyone up for some vegan food samples!

Quote nickyb View Post
    The Veggie Fayre is going well thanks!
    Here is the event if any of you are one facebook ...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php...05323872911542

Please feel free to invite anyone you think will be interested in finding out about veg*nisn/anyone up for some vegan food samples!
    Exciting, this may be the next weekend I am in Norfolk.

Thanks Nickyb,
    could you keep this thread update or start another one for those of us that are not on facebook.
    Thanks Paul

Hi! Didn't know anything had been confirmed. Afraid I can't make that day Never mind.

namaste

It's official! The 1st Norwich Veggie Fayre has all overheads covered by Animal Aid and The Vegan Society. As I type the flyers and posters are being printed and attendees are confirming their tables. With over 20 charities, local businesses and groups attending we hope this will be a huge success and offer everyone in the region the opportunity to meet like minded people.

You'll find us at The Friends Meeting House, Upper Goats Lane, Norwich on Saturday 26th November between 11am and 3 pm. I know the details have already been posted but this is exciting stuff for Norfolk and I just wanted to refresh the thread.

Just to remind everyone!!!
    Not long to go now! Will start a fresh thread to allow people to comment on it before/after, would be great to get feeedback from those of you who are able to make it!

namaste

Hello? Any vegans left in Norwich?.............where have they all gone?!?! lol

Everyone this is tomorrow!!!
    11am-3pm
    Friends Meeting House
    Upper Goat Lane

Really hope to see you there!!!

xx

Tombstone

Hey! Resurrecting this thread. I was at the veggie fayre at upper goats lane, and it was awesome! Load of tasty stuff for free... had to stop myself from eating too much actually.

I wanted to try to help promote Loving Hut some more. I know it was discussed a lot already in this thread, but I've been talking to the owner and she says she's trying to find ways to increase business, especially among vegans. She says most of her customers are in fact not vegan, and come there because it's closest to their place of work (lots of offices around the corner). So I'm trying to help her our, been in contact with vegan society and other places to see about promotion, but wanted to remind people to go there regularly, don't want to lose that place!!

Hello!

Attention, people of Norwich! And surrounding areas! There is now a vegan group started! First meeting was last month. The next meeting is this Tuesday, 12 June. At The Forum, Marzanos at 7.30pm. Bring vegan cakes and goodies! PM me if you want more info.

Me again! I was just asked today if I could (wo)man a stall at the upcoming Veggie Fayre which I most certainly will! It will be on the 21st July at the same venue as last time, the Quaker Meeting House. Will post more info when I get it, or I am sure somebody else from Norwich/Norfolk will come along with more info.

Oops! My bad. This year, the Vegan Fayre is being held at St Gregory's - linky here

Has anyone discovered Moorish, the new falafel bar on Lower Goat Lane? YUM.