Thread: croissants and doughnuts

Default croissants and doughnuts

I've been craving doughnuts and croissants since 03/01/2007 and I havent found any recipe to make ones that taste just like the ones I used to buy in the shop. Im about to go to the shops and buy some, pleeeeeease could someone tell me where I could get some either online or in any other place in Birmingham please???

Default Re: croissants and doughnuts

Bluelotus sell croissants online, but they are £££ and I've not tasted them. I've seen some outrageously bad recipes for vegan croissants on the interweb, ranging to as bad as cutting puff pastry into triangles and folding them over. Apparently aldi sell croissant dough that is vegan, but as far as I know that's from someone looking at the ingredients and thinking it sounds vegan rather than contacting the manufacturer. About 7/8 years ago I used to buy croissant dough in sainsburys that 'looked' vegan in terms of ingredients, but they then changed the recipe and i gave up looking.

As for doughnuts; there's several big threads on the forum already. In a nutshell I don't know of any available in the shops that are currently vegan. Veganstore did at one itme (don't know if still) sold long life chocolate covered ones (again at inflated prices) which i'm sure can't be the best way to buy doughnuts either in terms of environmental or financial cost. I also can't imagine they'd be very fresh. In terms of fresh however you can make them yourself with a deep fat fryer - again recipes if you search.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock