Thread: Alkalize your body

nervine

Default Alkalize your body

This morning i drank a pint of water with 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda (Sodium bicarbonate) in it. Never had so much energy in months. I'm drinking another one now. 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. Your body (blood) should be slightly alkaline but due to the shit you eat and drink your body becomes slightly acidic and your body has to use a lot of energy to try and bring back to optimal levels. I advise everyone to do some research about it

here's some interesting sites i found:

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/0...lth_advice.htm

http://www.kornax.com/HealthNews_Jan04.htm

Default Re: Alkalize your body

Energy is something I usually lack in the morning so it can't hurt to try.
    And alas I have arrived, like a whirlwind at a kindergarten picnic.

pavotrouge

I've done an alkaline fast (no acidic foods) for two weeks once... wasn't that sucessful, tho.

Mahk

Unless under the diagnosis of a doctor, one should never assume they have acidosis (acidic blood) and self treat it with sodium bicarbonate (aka baking soda) or any other compound for that matter. At the very least, you should worry about the gigantic consumption of sodium this entails above and beyond your normal dietary intake (already way too high for many of us). One level teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate contains over 1200 mg!

This book promoter, "Dr. Theodore Baroody", reeks of being a charlatan, con artist, quack, fraud etc. Other than lots and lots of commercial web sites quoting his "work" in an attempt to legitimatize the water additives or modifying machines they're pitching, I find little to substantiate his claims. Oh and by "work" I mean the book he's selling, to the best of my knowledge he's never been published by any medical journal anywhere, nor does he quote any scientific studies to back any of his claims.

The real give away is the extensive "laundry list" of often contradictory "possible symptoms" he lists (found in nervine's second link) to lure you into thinking you may be suffering yourself: "Friends, ever feel like you have low energy and/or are hyperactive? Ever have constipation or diarrhea? Is your urine warm or has an odor to it? Have you ever burped or had the hiccups? Well guess what, sounds like you've got the bug too!" Come on, people, he's a nut case selling his book!

Want a second opinion? Here:

It doesn't help that quackery-filled "alternative health" books such as Kurzweil and Grossman's Fantastic Voyage, pH Miracle Living and Alkalize or Die by "Doctor" Theodore Baroody (whose scientific credentials seem highly dubious) plug alkaline water as one way of preventing cancer or of increasing one's lifespan. There is even a company that offers complete "alkaline diets" for which they make ridiculous claims. Don't believe any of this garbage!

The source here.

Quote nervine View Post
    due to the shit you eat and drink
    Speak for yourself...

Quote fiamma View Post
    Speak for yourself...
    Yes, I was thinking that - most of us are trying to eat a fairly natural and (we hope) healthy diet so I can't see why our bodies would be in the wrong balance to begin with.

cobweb

Nervine, i was under the impression from a previous post of yours that you only ate raw fruit and veggies?............

I agree that it is a good idea to try and maintain a good acid/alkali balance in the body, and this can be done by keeping acid forming foods (these include caffeine among others) to a minimum. But a healthy vegan diet provides lots of alkaline foods, so I don't think we have much to worry about. If you want something alkali forming in the morning, a little lemon juice in water is as good as anything.

nervine

Quote cobweb View Post
    Nervine, i was under the impression from a previous post of yours that you only ate raw fruit and veggies?............
    i try to eat as raw as possible. i still eat bread for lunch :s other than that i eat pretty much raw

and yeah ofcourse it's best to just eat raw but since i dont.. i dunno, i seem to benefit from the baking soda so..

cobweb

well if it suits you, carry on! . I personally am a great fan of bicarb of soda and find many uses for it on a daily basis!

Mahk

For an occasional upset stomach, using sodium bicarbonate as an antacid is fine, but consuming it daily because it "makes you feel better" is asking for high blood pressure (hypertension). Don't do it!

http://health.yahoo.com/topic/bloodp...hwise/d00440a1

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...&dopt=Abstract

nervine

jeez, i'm only using a tiny bit to make my water slightly alkaline. but yeah i'll use less than 1/4th a teaspoon in 16oz of water

consuming it daily because it "makes you feel better" is asking for high blood pressure (hypertension). Don't do it!
    Got to agree with this advice, because of the high sodium content.

i'd plump for the lemon juice route too - natural and gentler.

maybe you need to look at your energy levels more specifially in terms of iron or something if you feel you need more?

A friend of mine was very evangelical about this topic. He drank huge amounts of reverse osmosis water containing (expensive) alkalinising drops and a mix of supergreens (also expensive). He was insistant that everyone he knew should read the PH Miracle by Dr Robert Young and lent me his copy. He said he had loads more energy, was healthier and had shed a few pounds of excess weight.

Although I didn't read the book I gave in to the constant pressure and went to see Dr Young speak. I wasn't especially convinced but decided I might as well try the Innerlight drops and supergreens for a while - reckoned I should be drinking more water anyway and this would make me do that at least.

I really didn't feel any different so after some weeks I gave it all up. I can't help thinking it is just another pyramid selling scheme.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote cobweb View Post
    well if it suits you, carry on! . I personally am a great fan of bicarb of soda and find many uses for it on a daily basis!
    The only use I have for bicarb of soda, is to clean the sink or the lavatory with it.
    Eve

Slightly offtopic, but....

Dr Robert Young has this to say about salt, and particularly his brand of salt water (a bargain at $19.95 for 8oz)

http://www.phmiracleliving.com/phlavor.htm

I have in my research discovered that salt is at the foundation in the creation of all major elements of the body when the elements of oxygen or hydrogen give up their protons. The pathway to magnesium, potassium and even calcium begins with salt. For example, when the protons of oxygen, which are eight, are acquired by the nucleus of the sodium, which is eleven protons, it becomes potassium, which has nineteen protons. The equation is: When potassium acquires an additional proton from the hydrogen ion it becomes calcium or when the sodium ion acquires an additional proton from the hydrogen ion it becomes magnesium. The equations are:
    I wasn't aware that nuclear fusion happened within the human body.....

This guy should write for Star Trek.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

LOL eve and pob!

Vegetarians and Vegans already have a much more alkaline diet that meat eaters, so i don't see the need to make it any more alkaline.

I guess the occasional drink of bicarb is probably ok but i wouldn't have it on a regular basis.

Chatting about those healthy morning pick ups, the other nite, just before i woke up, i was being told in my dream to have a teaspoon of cider vinegar in water in the morning.

I havn't had any yet but am thinking maybe i should have a go as the dream was so insistent!!
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

BlackCats

I listen to messages from my dreams as well. I wonder who is talking to me whether it is myself, spirits, God, angels. I wonder that as well when I get messages from meditation.

I have hot water with lemon in mornings (when I remember.)

A raw vegan diet is highly alkalinizing unless one eats too many nuts and seeds, fats etc, You want to alkalinize safely? Squeeze some fresh vegetable juice with lots of greens such as kale and collards or even incorporate some quality greens powder into your diet. Barley and wheat grasses are also quite good too.