Thread: Sensitive issue: hunting deer, what do you say to these idiots?

Default Sensitive issue: hunting deer, what do you say to these idiots?

Mods, I didn't know where to post this, so if you know of a better place, please by all means, move the post. Crazy question, but is there such a state in the U.S. that either doesn't have hunting or doesn't permit it or is this something I'm going to have to put up with in any rural area that's away from the city urban areas in every state? This is an issue that really troubles me and I don't know what to say about it. As a vegan and animal lover, obviously, duh, I don't need to say how abhorrent and disgusting hunting is, but I'm stuck out here in the boonies in hillbillie hell and believe it or not, I've heard a very lame statement that hunting deer is a necessary evil because the deer eat and destroy crops and take the crops and food from people who need it. I know the argument of encroachment, but beyond that I'm at a loss for words and I don't know what to say. The whole thing saddens me and it literally makes my stomach sick, but I'm a square peg in a round hole. My husband and I are literally "the vegetarians" of the place, we're the ONLY people who don't eat meat. They must think we're aliens or weird or something, not that I care, but just to give you a background. I hear the gun blasts and my nerves shudder...I want to cry feeling startled and terrible anguish and pain for these beautiful animals who've done nothing but walk around in their habitat, minding their own business and being incredibly sweet and beautiful. I just don't understand it and I don't know how to deal with it. How am I supposed to accept such a horrible evil? I don't know which is worse, those who continue to eat meat, murder, or those who hunt for sport and meat, murder! I feel alone, sad, and at a loss for words.
    Last edited by veganpixie; Jun 20th, 2007 at 06:20 PM. Reason: forgot to ask an important question

Default Re: Sensitive issue: hunting deer, what do you say to these idiots?

Oh vegan pixie - I know just how you feel.

I live within earshot ( gunshot) of a large 'Lord's' estate which rears phesants for the 'noble' sport of shooting. In season the noise is terrific each shot casues me distress, so imagine what it feels like to the birds themselves. The shoots go on for the major part of the day. Its so sad - I love where i live apart from this.

I hope you find somewhere peaceful for you to live.

nicola

I grew up in a large hunting community and found it very distressing as well. I now live in a small mountain town full of artsy, hippie people and it doesn't seem like hunting is really an issue here thankfully.

I did see some people trying to fish in the creek that runs right outside of my bedroom window the other day but was able to just laugh at them since it's a very shallow and fast moving creek so there is no life in it. They just kept getting their line all tangled because of the rocks and finally gave up after just a couple of minutes.

Mahk

Hunting and fishing are everywhere in the US. I don't think you can escape it. Next time you hear a distant gunshot, don't picture a poor animal being shot, instead picture Vice President Dick Cheney shooting one of his fellow hunting buddies by mistake! HA! [no, just kidding, I don't want any animals, even hunters, to be shot.]

P.S. That event really did happen, for those of you outside of the US who might not know about it.

cobweb

It is truly horrible . However, (and I have to think this because I too live in hunting country and would go insane if I didn't think this!) - i try and get a crumb of comfort from thinking that the animals didn't know much about their fate til the last minute, and perhaps didn't suffer for too long .

I used to fight and argue with people about this, in fact I have had my car scratched recently because of something said, but now i find it best just to keep my head down and do my thing, and just hope that just by being a 'dignified' vegan i *might* make someone, somewhere, think twice .

Good sperm

Quote Mahk View Post
    P.S. That event really did happen, for those of you outside of the US who might not know about it.
    Yeah we knew, our media tends to report on world events too

Mahk

You are lucky your media is not as politically/nationally centric as ours is. US news seems to think that Americans need not know about whats happening in Darfur, instead we need to know where Paris Hilton is at any given moment.