Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what do you call the different ingredients in your Country?

BlackCats

Default Re: what do you call the different ingredients in your Country?

There was an Aussie girl at my school and she called sweets 'lollies' which Americans would call candy I think. Candy can be chocolate though as well?

Mahk - I think the way US is portrayed is equally just as unrealistic. I watch shows like X-files, Supernatural, Medium, CSI and horror films a lot and it seems as if the US has an inordinate amount of serial killers. It seems as if there is one to every neighbourhood at least.
    I always think when I watch US films that motels on highways seem the most dangerous place to stay - there always seems to be people on the run from the police there.
    The only thing more dangerous than that is if you deviate from a normal road and go anywhere near a wood then there seems like you have every chance of running into a family of inbred hillbilly cannibals.
    I would be too scared to go to US if it was anything like it is portrayed!

You say wholewheat bread instead of wholemeal.

Tea is usually served in a mug or beaker rather than china cups these days although we still say "Fancy a cuppa?"

In this area you might also be asked "Fancy a brew?" Whoooh, steady now, don't get yourself too excited... you're probably not being offered some mind-altering concoction, just a nice cuppa tea.

Tea may also be referred to as "Rosie". This is rhyming slang. "Rosie Lee" = tea. So you may be asked, "Fancy a nice cup of Rosie?"

If there are bubbles on the top of your cuppa some people call this "money" or "luck".

I'm enjoying a cuppa right now... not too strong, no sugar and with a slice of lemon. Cheers.

Forgot these:

Lollies/lollipops (also known by a brand name - chupa) are suckers in South Africa.

Candies are sweets (strictly sugary, sweet and chocolate free).

Jam is the spread made with fruit, sugar and pectin, can be chunky (with bits of fruit in it) or smooth. Preserves can be jams but more often than not are whole or chopped fruits preserved in alcohol or sugar syrups.

A pickle is a gherkin in South Africa.

Another one!

Hash browns.

Around here hash browns are small pieces of potatoes (usually peeled) and then fried in a pan. Omnis eat it with things like eggs, toast, bacon, sausages, etc. I have it alone or with tofu scramble. It's a breakfast food.

I have heard of people taking about hash browns and describing them as a large piece of potato? I don't get it.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Mahk

Yes Tigerlilly, same here, with tofu scramble is yummy! Can also be shredded first through a grater, as well.

JustMe, Americans would never say "cuppa" alone. We might say, "Would you like a cuppa joe? [coffee] Or if joking around "java".

Although saying you'd "fancy" a product would be understood, it's more likely to be reserved for describing romantic attraction between people here in the states.

To crave an "addictive" substance like ice cream (or a real drug, for that matter) you'd be "jonesing". Is this used in the UK?

hey what about soda? I know across the U.S. we call it soda, pop, soda pop, and coke. What does everyone else call it?

Mahk

In parts of the US they call it "tonic". I ordered a "tonic" once thinking I'd get "tonic water" (the stuff containing quinine used for a "gin and tonic"). I was asked "What kind?" and it was then explained to me.

Quote missbettie View Post
    hey what about soda? I know across the U.S. we call it soda, pop, soda pop, and coke. What does everyone else call it?
    Sodapop, or any other fruit juice or mixed drink would be referred to as a 'cool drink' in South Africa. You generally then need to clarify what cold drink you are actually after.

In Ireland they distinguish between fizzy drinks (also called carbonated drinks), fruit juices and cordials (mixed drinks).

you know i was also told that in France when you ask for water they automatically give you carbonated water. does anyone know if that is true?

BlackCats

I've been to France quite a few times and have never noticed that they only serve carbonated water.

I love the way France has boulangeries everywhere its so easy to satisfy my carb cravings - bagettes, brioche, croissants etc.
    I went to Nice last year and really pigged out on bread, I don't know if the stuff there is vegan though, I was only veggie last year.

Eggplant is Aubergine in US (and Australia?)

No, we don't use jonesing for craving - where does that come from?

In the UK, a lolly can either be an ice-lolly (I think popsicle in USA?) or a chupa-style lolly.

We don't use soda to refer generically to fizzy drinks - only to soda water (club soda?). Lemonade to us is the clear stuff like Sprite, not the cloudy yellow stuff. Mind you, in Ireland you get red or white lemonade... the red stuff is very very sweet, a bit like Irn Bru here in the UK.

Mahk

"Jonesing" comes from drug culture but I've read different accounts. One said junkies would do commerce in a dark alley behind Great Jones street in New York city and the other is this:

Originally it was capitalized. Believe it or not, it was originally Mr. Jones, which was junkies' slang for "heroin". One may readily imagine a drug dealer's proposal: "Pssst... wanna meet Mr. Jones?". Over time, the verb to jones (uncapitalized) came to indicate the pain of withdrawal from the drug, as in "Man, I'm really jonesing for a fix".

This usage neatly parallels the word yen which means a "craving". Although this is now standard English, it comes from the opium addicts' slang term yen-yen "a craving for opium".

Source.