Thread: My tomatoes are dying

Unhappy My tomatoes are dying

Some of my beautiful tomato plants have got blight

I've just dug up a dozen plants to burn and I've got at least another couple of dozen with signs of blight, so they must be burned as well. I'm sooooo sad!!! I've been dreaming of tomato soup, pasta sauces, grilled tomatoes with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and best of all, eating them straight from the plant still warm by the sun.

I need some virtual cuddles please.

And also any advice from tomato growers as to how I might save some of the rest of the crop. They are planted in the same half acres, but in different patches.

I can't believe how sad I am! I actually cried!

Default Re: My tomatoes are dying

Oh Aradia I'm so sorry about your plants, I know how you feel.

Maybe someone will come up with some good advice and you can save the rest.

(((((HUGS))))))

Aradia, that sucks! I'm no gardener so I don't have any advice for you, but I know how frustrating it is when you're anticipating something exciting and the universe suddenly snatches it away! Is it too late in the season to grow some new ones?
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

This link has some general info on tomato blight.

Preventative spraying is helpful and Bordeaux mixture is classed as organic.

Always water tomatoes at the base of the plants - avoid getting water on the leaves. With outdoor tomatoes, if the weather's damp try making a canopy over them to keep the worst of the wet off but make sure the air can circulate by keeping the sides open.

It may be too late* to start growing new plants from seed but ask your neighbours if they have any surplus plants to spare or see if your local garden center still has some for sale. *Depends how far south you are - if you'll be getting sunny weather into October then give it a try and see how you go on.

The same fungus causes potato blight so check the potato patch if you're growing these.

for outside tomatoes it's the weather i'm afraid. there is a potato blight warning here in ireland, same family. if you've got 'em in poly tunnels then you may have a chance, i don't think bordeux mixture will work with blight.
    try this link....
    http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...atoblight.html

The Royal Horticultural Society mention using Bordeaux Mixture for tomato blight - see this link for more info.

Thanks for the hugs and advice folks.

I sprayed everything still standing with Bordeaux mix yesterday so it's fingers crossed time.

Conditions have been absolutly perfect here for blight ... hot, humid and very, very wet - my own fault for not thinking ahead. You never think these things will happen to you!

I'm going to plant up some more seeds and make sure I've got my polytunnel up for when they are ready to be planted out. So it's not all bad.

It really made me think about the Irish potato famine. Having rows and rows of dead plants, almost overnight, made me think about how awful it must have been for all of those people to wake up one day and for their entire crops to have been devestated. I thank my stars that I live such a relitively easy and cosseted life.

The good news is my courgettes are lovin' all this rain

Good luck with the replacement crop. The polytunnel is a good idea as it will extend your growing season as well as protecting the plants.