Thread: Going Raw

Default Going Raw

I have been contemplating going raw vegan for the past week, as I really do not have the time or inclination to cook anymore (not the best reason for going raw but it will do). My diet won't be 100% raw as I will still include houmous and baba ganoush to dip veggies in.

Should I increase the quantity of fruit/veg I consume if following a raw diet? Also, are there any veggies that should not be eaten raw (cos they are toxic or some such thing)?

Would sprouted beans and lentils be an adequate protein substitute for cooked beans and lentils?

Default Re: Going Raw

I was 80% raw for a couple of years. Realy buzzd up for a couple of weeks and then it just felt normal. The prep time I found to be the same just no cooking after it. In order to be intresting food one still has to follow resapys, and have a good blender and juser. Sprouted stuff is asimalated in to the body better than cooked stuff, protein and shuggers, vitermins etc.
    After 2 years I got naft off with the tast of Tamary and Oliv oil on every thing ( salads ). I didn't follow resapys, have a blender or a juser ( the one I wanted was £300 ) ah one day, and just realy craved backed Potatos, a hole oven shelf full would last 2/3 day with stuff on the side. As mutch raw as you can I think will be better for one. After all we as beeings should be spending our time just gathering food and haveing fun. Good loook with it all, all the time.

Thanks Tibetan Snake.

I will be aiming for 80 to 90% raw. I will still be enjoying the odd pasta dish and hummus and baba ganoush for dipping things into. I am going to try and steer clear of olive oil for the first while as I do have a lot of weight to lose.

I have stocked up on fruit (heaps of the stuff) and the balance of my food intake will be made up of salad greens, cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, and other bits and bobs as they take my fancy.

A friend recommended fennel tea to me to reduce appetite and it does work extremely well - two cups a day and you never get hungry, so just eat the 3 meals a day and be happy...

Quote Robert View Post
    A friend recommended fennel tea to me to reduce appetite and it does work extremely well - two cups a day and you never get hungry, so just eat the 3 meals a day and be happy...
    Thank you, will give that a try

fennel tea?? sounds interesting indeed!

do not eat potatoes raw.. theyre toxic, if you're craving them eat jicama instead (mexican potato)
    and yes you should increase your fruits and veggies, as they will make up most of your diet... unless you're into sprouting and dehydrating.

if you have more questions you should really joine goneraw.com, its a pretty awsome community with really great recipes you can check out

Hmm, I drink quite a lot of fennel tea (because it's meant to be good for the digestion) but I can't say I've noticed any impact on my appetite. Perhaps it only works if you're eating raw food

Trust me, I started on the fennel tea as an omni and it worked then too. Maybe the impact differs according to personal body chemistry. For myself and my friend it is the wonder tea for appetite control.

Thanks for the reference to goneraw.com Odalys. I will check it out.

To clarify - I do grow my own sprouts - aduki and mung beans plus a heap of other things in rotation. I am not into deydrating (yet). Part of my breakfast and lunch is a blended salad made of frozen berries, dulse seaweed, a head of cos lettuce, fennel or green tea, two oranges (for sweetness) and sometimes ground flax seed. The rest of breakfast is seasonal fruit (this week a mix of plums, cherries and apples) and lunch has more fruit and a garden salad. Dinner is another salad with more substantial veg in (fennel, carrot, raw beetroot, raw cabbage, etc).

As to balance in this diet, I do not yet know if I have it, will wait and see what my body has to say about it once the detox stage has passed.

"Cooking" sure is easier, I usually just drop things into the food processor and it's done. Spinach and courgettes are my favourite but obviously I eat a wide range. If I'm feeling really lazy I just eat fruit.
    Silent but deadly :p

TheBringer

I've been trying to go raw, and I really think i need a food dehydrator. Its easier to carry dried food around. I have trouble making salads as I am too lazy to do more than put a sandwich together usually. Do processors work better than blenders? And what is the detox stage? I think I'll check out goneraw.com too.

I'd love a dehydrator but the prices of those things Still, I guess there is always ebay
    Silent but deadly :p

my dehydrator is old and round and the temp knob has had the line rubbed off it so i can't tell what temp it is at.

i'd love an excalibur but like hemlock.....

What in your experience is the carbon footprint, financial and gastric impact of going raw?

Whenever I try to have a serious attempt to go raw, I seem to have to then be buying avocados, mangos, veg out of season and shipped in not to become completely bored. Is it possible to go raw on locally grown food? (parsnips, swede, leek, beetroot). Also, these slow cook oven things - presumably they use electricity?

Does the increase in fruit and veg impact on your wallet? My budget is limited and I eat plenty of bulk. I find buying lots of fruit and veg expensive. We do now have an allotment but yield is not significant yet this year.

I find that I lose weight easily. Everytime I try going raw, it starts falling off. I also have trouble digesting raw onion, leeks etc and can end up with a slightly upset stomach for weeks. This is usually why I stop.

I have similar issues. I have stopped eating onions so don't have that problem and buy from an organic box which seems cheaper than buying from a supermarket. But the cost and environmental impact of buying a liquidizer and dehydrator does stop me from going that next step and I would rather be eating local food (much that I love avocados).
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

i hear what you are both saying.

no way am I 100% raw. i am currently eating two meals raw daily with a cooked meal [on a good day].

the tools i currently have are a hand blender, a juicer, a food mixer and an old dehydrater that i've used once and frankly could do without, except i want to make flax crackers in it. they are obviously electric and i am now on the lookout for a manual grinder for grinding nuts and seeds, a hand juicer but i couldn't do without the electric blender and mixer, although a vitamix (electric) would do for both those items.
    the plus to the dehydrator is that you can prepare or 'uncook' many trays of food; crackers, fruit strips, biscuits, breads; enough to last you a week or two, all in one go and not used it again for a while.

ecologically speaking, one of the downsides to being high raw in the uk is the availability of homegrown, abundant, reasonably priced 'soft' items, soft fruits, avocados, exotic fruit. these push the price up for me as the rest of my family do not eat as much raw as i do so i am maybe buying different ingredients for lunches, twice.

greenspecs, although i have an abundance of different things growing in my garden too, nothing is really ready yet, although i have been grazing on the fresh peas daily , so i know what you mean.

for me it's about looking at the bigger picture too; the benefits to my health [i believe]and weighing up the eco benefits as they arise; it's like veganism maybe, and then thinking of the eco footprint, we can't take care of everything in terms of footprint offset, but we can do something.

sometimes i buy bags of frozen red fruit mixes which work out cheaper and are still raw.

have you looked on youtube? there are lots of films with recipes, talks etc with ideas and interest.

good points you raised there guys!!

Thanks Cedarblue for all your helpful suggestions I eat a raw breakfast, almost raw lunch (home made spreads, salads etc but maybe some bread, fruit), but cook in the evening as I love my potatoes and root veggies, lentils, pulses etc. However, I do eat raw where possible - raw spinach/grated carrots, etc, nuts and seeds. So I guess I'm probably doing better than I realise.

ANY increase in raw into your diet is good for you - raw greens are pretty essential though i would say. i really only recently started having green smoothies, and once i got the mix right, they were lovely!

i blended a banana, some fresh pineapple, spinach and parsley and it tasted great. raw greens are assimilated straight into your system and if they are juiced or blended it means less time spent on their digestion so they are effective immediately.

if i'm not prepared i have a pitta or wrap for lunch sometimes, but i always make sure its wholemeal - it's just small changes like white to wholemeal, stuffing some romaine lettuce or parsley into a smoothie that makes the difference - well to me anyhow.

Sounds fab, will try the greenstuff for definite

I dont know in what thread I should post this. But this song is very funny and encouraging for someone who wants to go raw and any vegan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr4_RfJxwsU

That is just fantastic!!!!! I can really recommend watching it!!!!

Ha Ha Ha. Exsssalant. Ha Ha Ha.
    DON'T BEEMOAN THE DARK. LIGHT A CANDLE AND SHOW THE WAY.

HAHAHAHAA very smart!

Green Smoothies are a great way to get TONS of energy! They can totally take the "edge" off when you have a sweet tooth, too. This is one of the best and easiest ways to get greens into your diet, which are full of minerals.

Greens (think spinach, parsley, kale, swiss chard, arugula, sprouts, cilantro, celery, romaine lettuce) are an excellent source of quality protein and minerals. And, when you consume your organic greens in the form of a Green Smoothie, you can expect to get better assimilation of valuable nutrients. Not only that, but green smoothies have plenty of fiber, which can help steady blood sugar levels. Make one today and see for yourself. It’s super easy.

I make sure I always have a Green Smoothie with me. I’ll take it to the movies for my snack or keep it in a cooler, in my car, when I’m out running errands. This way, if I get hungry or have any cravings, I can drink my green smoothie and be satisfied.

Green Energy Smoothie Recipe

2 cups of filtered or spring water
    1 handful of Organic leafy greens such as spinach, kale, parsley, romaine lettuce, herbs, your choice
    1-2 pieces of Organic fruit (depending on size and sweetness desired) for example: banana and/or apple, mango, berries, etc.

Put all of it in a blender, give it a whirl, and ENJOY!

By far the easiest one is probably doing spinach and banana. Put 1-2 handfuls of spinach in your blender with the water and 2 peeled bananas. Blend. Drink down and RULE THE WORLD!

Want an easy dessert? Eat fresh Raw dates! They're so satisfying and delicious. And, if you want it more gourmet (haha), add a raw pecan or almond to the middle of it before popping it into your mouth. Heavenly.

Yes, I really like the forum on www.goneraw.com as well. You should also check out gliving.tv for a great forum on vegan, eco, being green, and raw. They have some terrific Raw food demos you can watch right there, too.

Cheers!
    Kristen's Raw

thanks for the link kristen!

I have been reading about the health benefits of being raw lately,
    and I was wondering, because I'm not too sure I want to eat completely raw even though I think it's very healthful.
    So are there still alot of health benefits to eating say, maybe cooked food for three meals per week? Or maybe, because I read that you can still heat foods to a certain temperature, don't remember what it was it was in Fahrenheit so I didn't understand anyway, could maybe steamed vegetables be alright? I like cooked foods

Also, cold pressed oils would be raw right? what about the ordinary kind?

hi poppet

as far as i am concerned raw is raw, steamed is cooked etc.

to me any cooked meal that is replaced with a raw is going to be of benefit to health - its like the vegan path - you learn as you go along.
    i eat as much raw as i practically can daily and i also eat some cooked - i don't sweat it - whatever you eat (ratio wise) is ok, if it's ok with you - you don't have to ask anyone else's permission.

from what i have read etc if you do it 100% then you will see a more radical change in health, weight etc but not everyone can do it that way - it may take years - i think it will take me a long time to phase out the cooked. maybe while i'm always eating cooked it will be all the more difficult.

ignore any raw police and monitor yourself - do what feels right and good for you!

in alissa cohen's 'living on live foods' book, she says to go straight away and throw out all the processed, cooked stuff in your cupboards - man, if i did that my family would freak!!! - it's just not possible to do in one go for all.

pm me if you like, i'd be happy to talk more

p.s. i am just making a veggie chilli to take to a family gathering tonight soooo...

I wrote a pretty detailed comment in one of the other threads about going raw with some tips and thoughts to ponder. I can't remember where it is though? This might help some of you. Cheers!

Ahhh. found it...under the Raw Books and info...getting started.

Default move post

Quote fuhzy
    Too bad raw is so expensive and difficult to maintain...
    Quote gryffin
    I am quite proficient in this topic of interest.

in my experience fuhzy, raw sometimes works out more expensive if;

a) you need to buy fresh imported stuff like soft & exotic fruits
    b) you are also buying regular foodstuffs for other members of family
    c) you are not 100% raw and still buy some cooked/packaged foods
    d) the whole family is not following the raw path
    e) you don't or are unable to buy foods in bulk
    f) you buy 'designer' raw products like raw nut butters/tahini/snack bars etc

it's true it takes more thinking about - it depends on our individual circumstances i guess

gryffin - please join in and share your proficiency!!

josh please check out the other raw threads and youll see who has a raw interest.

...sorry mods for changing the tack on this thread - maybe someone could merge with a more general thread?
    Last edited by Greentara 1; Nov 8th, 2007 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Posts do not relate specifically to the thread title - general posts.

Ok guys - I greatly understand the idea of being a Raw Vegan and how good it is for your health for obvious reasons, but having looked through this raw section all I can see that you eat is salad and smoothies. I don't think I could cope with that. What else do you eat on this side of things? I ask because I like raw food and am adding more and more to my diet all the time and even thinking of doing a 30day detox for January when I give up smoking and start getting fit and healthy again. Today is the first time I've looked up the raw diet so forgive my naiveness.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

i still have a cooked meal daily and sometimes bulk out a light salad lunch with brown rice, rye bread etc, which still gives me that full up feeling if i don't feel i'm satisfied with what i've already eaten - thats as good as i can do for now - but like you i'm trying to build more raw into my diet daily.

green leafy salads are certainly big part of the raw day;

other raw things i eat are:-

courgette 'pasta'
    sushi
    lettuce subs or wraps
    stuffed avocadoes
    raw gazpacho
    dips
    raw soaked oats as base for cereal
    museli
    raw fruit & nut bars
    raw fruit pies
    nut 'cheeses'
    pates

you can move on a step and make things like breads, crackers, tortilla-style chips if you have a dehydrator - also burgers, wraps, cookies.

don't forget we are socially conditioned in a way to eat savoury items as our main meal lunchtime or suppertime - a fruit based dish it just as nutritious it just takes practice to get out of the 'normal' way of doing things.

if you are interested, pm me, i can suggest lots more things for you - lthough i am not an expert by any means - just doing what i feel is good and best for me.

Hello, right now I am 100% raw. There are plenty of things to eat on a raw diet. There are several different fazes that you go through when switching to a raw diet.
    During your initial transition faze you will probably do best when eating the gourmet raw foods. Which is foods that resemble your already current foods. Foods such as raw spaghetti, raw not tuna sandwich, raw burritos, flax breads, etc.
    When I first switched over from a vegan diet to a raw vegan diet, I was very worried that I would be hungry all of the time. This was not what happened however. One of the best ways to switch is if you start your day with a green smoothie. I know raw vegans are always speaking of the green smoothies, but they really do keep you full and cravings away. My daily green smoothie is 1 full bunch of kale, 3 bananas, water. Keep in mind though that the green tastes may take some getting used to. So you might want to start with as little as one leaf of kale. It's okay, whatever works. Later in the day I would have something such as mashed and gravy or spaghetti, or raw veggie burgers.
    One of the most important things I had to remember when switching, was that my body was detoxing, which is emotional. So I needed to remember that some of my hunger or emotions was part of the detox.
    I can also recommend the book
    12 Steps to Raw Foods: How to End Your Dependency on Cooked Food by Victoria Boutenko
    also her book: Green for Life

One thing that she does mention in her books is that when you don't go 100% raw, you make it harder on yourself. She said that it is like an alcoholic not going 100% dry. That one percent will keep you addicted to cooked foods. But the choice is yours. Just adding more fruits and veggies to any diet will improve your health.

I also recommend to anyone on a raw food diet the website http://goneraw.com/
    This site has plenty of recipes that are wonderful. In fact just tonight I made a savory wild stuffing from there that was wonderful!
    Try and keep at it. One thing you might want to do when going through the transitional period is not to limit yourself the amount of foods you eat. Like at first say as long as it is raw I can eat it. Add in a lot of fruit! Very important to our diets is fruit.
    Plus give yourself time. You taste buds will change. You will be able to taste so much more after a few weeks on a raw food diet. I say you haven't tasted an orange until you've gone raw!
    One thing also that is really important to mention. If you go 100% raw you will be eating a LOT less food. If you think about it, you are eating straight nutrition. So your food intake will greatly reduce after a few days even. Some raw people can live off of a green smoothie for breakfast and then a few fruits at night, maybe a handful of nuts.
    For me I was doing the a little bit cooked food and then mostly raw for a long time. Then finally I went 100% raw. I did not think it would make a big difference, but it did. I felt better the next day. After a few days I felt so calm, in touch with nature and peaceful. It was just like switching from the S.A.D to vegan. You make the commitment, go through the transition, maybe two weeks and then you just live.

Good Luck!
    Hope your days are happy ones!

Dia

Thanks guys you are all very helpful! One thing though...what is kale and where do I getit from?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Kale or Borecole is a form of cabbage. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kale
    I usually buy kale in the produce section of any grocery store. It's very good for you. You can use any dark greens though and it will do well. Celery also I have found tastes good in fruit smoothies. Such as 6 stalks of celery, lemon, water, 2-3 banana, frozen berries. Or buy fresh berries and freeze the bananas peeled.
    Tasty.

Have fun.

Great post Dia! I have let the amount of raw foods I am eating slip a little tho I have been having a green smoothie every morning and love them. And I agree with what you said that if you eat cooked it makes it harder. I think I am finding it hard not to limit what I eat, I still think in terms or portions and limit how much I eat or think I need a more typical lunch or dinner meal when if I feel like a juice, I should have that. Or if I just want some fruit I should have that! I will keep at it

I can't find Kale in an veggie shop locally, also I have stopped being able to find silverbeet, so I have just been using big spinach leaves in my morning smoothies. My Dad bought me a potted Kale from the local nursery, it's a bit small at the moment, so I will let it grow a bit more and then try some leaves in a smoothie.

emzy, you can get kale in any supermarket, fruit & veg section. it's usually bagged up, chopped & ready to go. it's coming into season now, so you should be ok.
    if you are in my neck of the woods, all the supermarkets have it.

Hmmm I've never seen it before but I suupose that's because 1) I wasn't looking and 2) didn't know what it looked like to look for it.

I'll have a browse around the next time I go shopping. Thanks for all your help guys!

EllaGuru

I've been thinking of upping the raw content of my diet and have just bought a blender for smoothies but to be honest I don't think I could ever go 100% raw because when the weather gets cold I really want warm sustaining meals, especially thick soups with beans and pulses. I could see myself eating a lot of raw food in the summer, but not the winter. Do other people here find this too or do you find eating raw in the colder months is just as sustaining?

i hear what your'e saying ella!!

from various raw sources i've read up on, 100% raw foodists use warming spices to up the internal warming qualities of foods (if you are warm inside it makes you feel warm outside too??), some blend in vitamix so the food/soup etc is just warm. some also use a food thermometer in a saucepan and remove from the heat as it reaches 105 degrees - over that is deemed 'cooking'.

I agree, I am a bit worried about winter, but I hope that if I start Raw now while it is warm and summery that I might be able to keep going when winter hits, will have to wait n see.

The herbs sound like a good idea, Cedarblue.

how is everybody doing with eating raw?

I'm just adding more and more raw stuff to my diet...especially smoothies etc but I've still not found any kale anywhere.

bizarre - ask a produce assistant in the supermarket, i can't believe they don't have any!!

I had to ask for Kale at local veggie shops. One doesn't "sell" it they only use it for "decoration" and lining the stands where they put their produce!

My Dad was the first one to go and ask them, the first time they sold him one for $2 and the next time he went in and asked a different employee he was adament that they did not sell it and he couldn't have any!! Dad finally got some more and now I pop in once a week and buy 2 and that usually lasts me a week or so (I take all the leaves off, rinse it and then place it in a large container in the fridge).

The other veggie shop had no idea what I was asking for, so I spelt it out for them and they got some in for me, but it look totally different, was all curly and had long stalks and had been attacked by caterpillars! So I stick to the original store.

I am doing well w/ Raw, Cedarblue. I have had a few 99% raw days - I thought they were 100% but then I remembered I usually have one cup of black tea w/ rice milk mid-morning!

I just got a food processor - early Christmas gift - so now I can try making some almond milk and plan a few raw meals to take w/ me for Christmas lunch

How are you going?

Quote Poppet View Post
    Or maybe, because I read that you can still heat foods to a certain temperature, don't remember what it was it was in Fahrenheit so I didn't understand anyway
    I've just started reading about raw fooding too...
    I read that if you really did want to heat something, say some soup you've made, just make sure it doesn't go over 38 degrees C. which is body temperature. just did a conversion and it comes out at about 100 degrees farenheit.
    I like warm food too, especially in winter when it's so cold and miserable! but what I also read was that it is easier to maintain your body temperature when you are not eating hot food...something to do with your body needing less energy to digest food I guess? Not entirely sure!