Thread: Raw Vegan Cereals?

Default Raw Vegan Cereals?

I'm starting to wonder if any raw cereals even exist. Can somebody please help me out?

Default Re: Raw Vegan Cereals?

i bought one at the healthfoodstore the other day...

if i wasnt in the middle of packing and moving i could get the package and look for the brandname/ website, but i am... so if you want i can get it to you later!

i know that my raw cookbooks all have some recipies... that require soaking and some dehydrating.

for my raw cereal i usually just soat oat groats overnight in bannana milk or homemade raw soy or almond milk and add fruit!....well i gess thats a bit more like oatmeal... but yeah.
    Last edited by tipsy; Jun 24th, 2007 at 12:28 AM. Reason: im silly
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

i've never found any raw cereal in the shops in the uk - again, i usually soak some steel cut oats overnight and add fruit, nuts, juice to it in the morning.

I've seen raw granolas before, they are pretty expensive in my opinion.

When I've done raw before I actually crumbled up a Larabar into a bowl, and poured raw almond milk over it. You can add fruit too, or crumble nuts for crunch. I've never tried soaking grains yet.

Also, the leftover pulp you get when you make almond milk is very similar to oatmeal or porridge! You could try that as a breakfast food.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

thats a good idea with the lara bar! - i bet it makes a good cereal-ly base for a breakfast or snack!

here's how i make raw almond milk, this way you eat all the pulp and nothing is wasted;

put a cup or 1/2 cup raw almonds in blender with some water (adjust as you blitz for thickness you want). i add a splash of oil and a pinch of celtic salt for added nutrition. blitz up till no lumps - pour over cereal.
    you could add some vanilla essence or syrup if you want it really sweet but i like the taste as it is.

it makes a substantial milk so i find i don't need so much cereal.

What about muesli (the health food shop kind, not the packet kind)? Thought that was entirely/mostly raw but if not you could always assemble your own.

dont think rolled oats are raw nor any bran/wheat flake that may be in them - i may be wrong of course?

my museli is now made with the steel oats and lots of nuts, dried fruits etc in.

Not sure as I haven't got any at the moment to look at the ingredients, but you're probably right.

I buy the gluten-free kind (not because I'm avoiding gluten but because I'm avoiding wheat bran) and nice kinds are hard to get, so I probably should try making my own too. I suppose I'd have to get organised and soak it overnight if I did?

i soak mine overnight as it makes the oats soft and chewy, then add fruit, nuts etc in the morning (takes two ticks) or soak it all overnight and its all soft and chewy.

don't forget the quantity of oats will swell so don't overdo the amount.

Quote cedarblue View Post
    dont think rolled oats are raw nor any bran/wheat flake that may be in them - i may be wrong of course?

my museli is now made with the steel oats and lots of nuts, dried fruits etc in.
    most arent.

you can find them raw though.

http://www.alissacohen.com/rawoatflakes.html
    Last edited by tipsy; Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: im silly
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote thecatspajamas1 View Post
    Also, the leftover pulp you get when you make almond milk is very similar to oatmeal or porridge! You could try that as a breakfast food.
    i sometimes do that!

i add some raw wheat germ and cinnamon and soaked dates and milk of some sort and blend... comes out good!
    -henry miller

It's easy to find out if your oat groats are raw...try sprouting them.
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

thanks for the alissa oats link, jj!

-henry miller

btw audrey,

i dont know if youre in the states, but this is the raw granola pre-packaged i buy from the store (occasionally, its pretty $$)

http://www.goraw.com/products/home.php
    -henry miller

I make a big fruit smoothie every morning with 1-2 bananas, fruit and 50g steel cut oats soaked overnight - wolfberries are nice in it too. They make it blood red - great for kids at halloween
    Silent but deadly :p

smoothies are my breakfast of choice too hemlock; 1 banana, 1 orange and either mango, blueberries, raspberries, kiwi, something like that and then either soaked almonds, or sunflower or pumpkin seeds

you don't need oats/grains to make a good museli though don't forget.

just nuts, dried fruits, fresh fruit and nut milk over the top...mmmmmmmm

Default raw buckwheat cereal

i say this raw buckwheat cereal vid today;

[YOUTUBE]2EX__Tiq-dA[/YOUTUBE]

Quote cedarblue View Post
    put a cup or 1/2 cup raw almonds in blender with some water (adjust as you blitz for thickness you want). i add a splash of oil and a pinch of celtic salt for added nutrition. blitz up till no lumps - pour over cereal.
    you could add some vanilla essence or syrup if you want it really sweet but i like the taste as it is.
    Thank you for this recipe. What kind of oil do you use? I was thinking of boosting up the nutrition by adding flax oil but that might overpower the almond flavour.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

i used first pressed virgin olive oil - just a splash mind.

Hi! I always have a green smoothie in the morning, but today, I made something new to eat later in the day; Sprouted Quinoa Fruity Porridge. Initial taste-testing bodes well (I licked the blender stick!) and it's currently chilling in the fridge.

I sprouted some quinoa for the first time a couple of days ago and it was shockingly easy and is delicious! I soaked a couple of dried figs and some raisins with cinnamon, vanilla pod seeds, allspice and maca, then reserved the raisins as I like them whole- but you could blend them too. I then blended the figs and soak water with the sprouted quinoa and half an apple, then mixed in the lovely raisins.

I'm pretty impressed as it is a good porridgy texture and you could add chopped nuts and/or seeds and other fruits eg banana or anything you can dream of. (Wow- raw has so many options! It always makes me feel the world is so abundent)

Hope someone out there likes this
    Alive! She cried...

Hi
    That porridge sounds wonderful Ravishingly Raw, i'm going to try it!

Reading through the other comments, the reason cereals arn't raw - especially porridge oats, granola etc is because they are steam treated to keep weavils out! But you can buy untreated oats at Raw Living (www.rawliving.co.uk) which are pretty good - the only down side is the use by date is only a few weeks, but they make wicked porridge - soak in filtered water overnight with fresh dates and then blend until smooth - or they make raw flapjacks too, both of which are yummy!

I had a big bowl of raw porridge over fresh banana the other day, just the thing if you fancy something "stodgy"

RR

JC

i soaked oats in apple juice over night with a pinch of cinamon the other day, it was so nice, but it wasn't raw because they were just ordinary oats. i don't know where to buy steel cut oats from because where i live, i only know of 2 health food shops, one being really small, and the other being holland and barrett

songlife

buckwheat all the way!

JC

as in buckwheat flakes, or the whole grain? this grain thing confuses me so, if i were to soak oat groats overnight, that would be safe to eat the next day? what about rice, quinoa and millet flakes, are they raw?

Quote JC View Post
    i soaked oats in apple juice over night with a pinch of cinamon the other day, it was so nice, but it wasn't raw because they were just ordinary oats. i don't know where to buy steel cut oats from because where i live, i only know of 2 health food shops, one being really small, and the other being holland and barrett
    I find that small health food shops (and some delicatessens) are really helpful and can get things for you that they don't normally stock if you ask them. It may help if you order more than one packet. Make sure you don't let them down after they've gone to that trouble, though, or they might not be so helpful next time!