Thread: keratosis pilaris

Default keratosis pilaris

KP is that bumpy red skin that apparently half the population has on their upper arms. (Looks like tiny pimples, but actually is something different.) Anyway, has anyone found a good way to get rid of it? It goes away when I am tan, but since that's not the best thing to do, I'm looking for an alternative.
    Does anyone else get annoyed by this bumpy skin on their arms, or have you found a way to get rid of it? Exfoliation/lotion helps a little, but not a ton...

If you don't know what I'm talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Default Re: keratosis pilaris

I have no idea! Mine is spreading to my hips and butt now.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Hmmm, reading that link it seems like exfoliation should help and maybe really rub/massage yourself when applying body lotion. Also, maybe a humidifier would help, or bowls of water around the house to raise the humidity.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I have KP and I find that exfoliation helps, but even more so using a really good moisturizer. And moisturizing soap. I use soap with shea butter, and a moisturizer with shea, too. It has made the texture on my arms SO much better!

The article recommended products with AHAs, didn't it? (I did read that right, didn't I?). Anyone tried the Jason AHA range? Is it any good?

http://www.jasoncosmetics.com/aha-ja...cosmetics.html

I have that too...exfoliation and a moisturising helps mine...I use a Lush moisturiser (Skin Sin) at the moment.

I have it on my legs and top of my arms.

It doesn't bother me that I have it to be honest. I've seen people with it worse.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

It used to really bother me, but it's really not that obvious if I'm nice to my skin, and so many have it! I haven't tried the Jason AHA range - I'd be interested to hear what people have to say.
    Love and muppets,
    Regan

My friend told me that she read somewhere that coconut oil helps, and she said she's going to try it. I think I'm going to try it too.
    I also read on a raw blog somewhere that a water fast was able to get rid of it, but I'd rather not do a water fast.

The coconut oil is working. I've been putting it on my skin once/twice a day, and my skin's getting so soft.