Thread: Backpacking

Default Backpacking

Hi ya'll

I am really interested in trying out backpacking (going out in the wilderness with nothing but what is strapped on your back). Does anyone have any experience in this? Any suggestions? I am also really interested in what kind of light weight good food to take. All of the prepackaged freeze dried food is def. not vegan (not that it looks good anyway). Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!!!

pavotrouge

Default Re: Backpacking

I second missbettie...
    I'd love to go bagpacking, have plans concerning Ireland next year... but haven't done it before- plus, it's hard to find someone to join T_T

bulk grains.

oatmeal, couscous, rice, quinoa.

these things are the best because they are actually naturally condensed... you add water and they get soft and puff up (& fill you up!!)!

way better than any freeze-dried nastyness!

ive been backpacking before. its tons o' fun!!!

where are you thinking of going???
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I got back from a fortnight in Sicily last weekend, and I've done various tours in Britain during the past five years.
    I don't take cooking gear with me but live on cold stuff, as I can easily do without cooked food.
    Good stuff to take are muesli and porridge oats, little soya milk containers, dried fruit, nuts, muesli bars, tinned beans and chickpeas (although they do get heavy), bread. The longest I've done without stocking up somewhere was four days, but I really wouldn't want to carry any more - also think of all the water you have to take with you.
    Where do you want to go? It's the most wonderful thing for me to go hiking, just to on my own in nature with plenty of time to think - sometimes I really need this break from the world.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Well I live in the US and in California so I basically live in a desert *sigh*, but I was planning on going in the back mountains around the area I live. There are actually a lot of camping sites and trails so for my first time i wouldn't really be too worried about getting lost.

I was really worried about all the water I would take too, and then my boyfriend reminded me of water filters. They make them really small specifically designed for backpackers and all you have to do is make sure you hike near a water source (and make sure you bring iodine tablets!)

I'm really excited but all the gear I want is really expensive, lets face it, it would be really difficult to pack all the things you need in a small normal backpack, and the good packs are close to 200$ which is a lot of money for me to spend!

The thing about food is, I am the only vegan I know, and all my friends are meateaters (though really respectful to me). So it can get difficult and even more expensive cause we all can't share food. I think nuts and dried fruit are probably my best option cause I don't want to cook too much. ooohh and beans yummmy.

I'm really excited!!!!

If you can get your hands on a food dehydrator they are really handy. You can dehydrate a jar of sauce from weighing about 700-800 grams down to about 150 grams or less. It just leaves you with something that kinda looks like fruit jerky, then all you do is mix it with a bit of hot water to re hydrate it.

They are good for drying out your own fruit too, dried apple rings are yum. (plus you don't have them stuffed full of nasty preservatives like most the ones in the shops do)

Good luck on your travels!

The ex and I went backpacking across Europe about five years back, and found the eating part no probs at all on the whole. Admittedly it got a tad tiresome eating pasta and tomato sauce quite a lot of the time in Italy, but most of the time it was fine. The only bits of food we took with us were snacks for train journeys. If you're going to non-English speaking country's you could probably find all the words for 'no dairy' or 'vegan' in language books in the library's or something before hand, or get phrase books from charity shops.

If you are thinking of heading to Europe, you will be pretty much guaranteed great fresh fruit and veg (outside Britain ), and will be very well priced as well. For the days we were saving money and not eating out we would buy some fresh bread and some fruit, and we'd be well fed for the day

Good luck to you, hope you manage to get to do some travelling. It'll be great fun. If you make it over to these shores we shall have to have a VF meet!

Frosty x
    I like football. And potatoes.