Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Salad dressing

Default Re: Salad Dressings

waitrose (I think it was) balsamic vinegarette and red pepper sauce, sounds easy enough to make at home though too
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Quote paradoxsund View Post
    i make a dressing with balsamic vinegar, sunflowerseed oil, that grainy kind of mustard, maple syrup, and cinnamon. it might sound weird but it's pretty addicting!

Hm interesting, mustard, maple syrup and balsamic vinegar just to start with is an odd combination. But I think I'm going to have to make this, so many flavors!

Mayola mayonnaise made runnier with lemon juice whisked in, plus lots of chopped parsley, makes a quick and yummy creamy dressing.
    If i have no parsley i just grind in lots of black pepper.
    It goes really well with those italian crostini croutons from tesco.

Wholegrain mustard, Hemp Oil, Avocado Oil, Lemon Juice, Maple syrup, Various dried herbs

yum yum

Well I just looked through the post and I didn't see it but I feel dumb not saying it before as I use it daily: Good Seasons italian seasoning packet with oil and vinegar is vegan.

I came in here actually because I'm having a crazy craving for guacamole and wish I had some with me because I know it's amazing as a salad topper or eaten plain.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Quote doglover View Post
    if you want to be safe, most places can provide you with oil and balsamic vinegar for your salad.
    NOT at Panera Restaurant.

For some unknown reason, their balsamic vinegarette dressing has egg white in it.

Pizza Hut's new "Salad Station" (in UK) has some good vegan choices, you can have fun looking up all the ingredients on their website
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

Windfall

Default Favourite salad and/or dressing?

Trying to eat a lot more salads atm, but lacking in inspiration..normally just making the same thing again and again..yup, stuck in the salad rut!

I'd like some inspiration and recipes, may be we can keep this thread through summer, and all try something new!

What do YOU eat?

Default Re: Favourite salad and/or dressing?

Good idea. I need salad inspiration too.

I just made a shredded lettuce, very finely chopped tomato and very very finely chopped giant spring onion salad, with olive oil, tarragon vinegar, rosemary and black pepper.

My favourite one is rocket, spinach, tomato and things in jars, like artichokes/olives/sundried tomatoes.

Buddha Belly

I like a really basic salads.

Halved Cherry toms
    Little cubes of Cheezley
    Dash of olive oil
    Splash of Balsamic vinegar
    Pinch of Oregano and Basil
    ---------------------
    Big handful of spinach
    Teaspoon of lime juice
    Two teaspoons of soya sauce

mix then put in the fridge for at least 10 mins
    ---------------------
    I have a Raspberry vinegar which is an essential for all my dressings.
    I also use a tablespoon of Chilli Mayo and mix it in sometimes.
    Lime juice
    Toasted seeds on top.

I had couscous tonight which I prepared with hot water, a little tomato puree, lemon juice, pinch of dried chilli and chopped sun dried tomatoes.

Then I put some black olives and chopped cucumber and spring onions in after the couscous had swelled up. Had some leafy stuff on the side.
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

I like grated carrots in/on my salad, white asparagus spears and it's nice to top a green salad with a potato salad. Some grated sheese/cheezly can be nice too. The leaves in my salad are always well chopped to a) make it easier to eat and b) release more flavour. Orange and red onion go well together too.

Salad dressing I usually make 1:1 olive oil and vinegar, lots of dried basil, salt & pepper and sometimes add a spoonful of mustard powder to emulsify
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Rice salad.
    Cook some rice and leave it to cool, cook some frozen veggies such as green beans, sweetcorn, peas, leave them to cool. Open a tin of mixed salad beans.
    Add them all together in a big bowl, then add some olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Also some chopped lettuce, cucumber and red tomatoes. Optionally add a tin of marigold braised tofu.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I don't generally like a mixture of sweet and savoury things but I do quite like fruit in salad. A green leaf salad with chunks of ripe melon and avocado, and a sprinkle of toasted nuts or seeds, looks pretty and can be very refreshing (although in this weather "refreshing" is the last thing we need - but I expect it will warm up again soon!).

I don't like nuts or fruit in my salads. Salad to me is always a savory dish, salty and delish. No fruity flavors for me.
    I usually have a prepackaged mix of lettuce including iceberg and romaine with the little carrot shreds and purple stuff. Then I add diced tomato, avocado, olives and pepperoncinis and drizzle on some Good Seasons Italian dressing. Very plain and basic.

I love dicing up avocado, bell pepper, tomato, purple onion, and pineapple with a can of black beans and some lemon juice, salt and pepper. Delish!

Pineapple, I must try that. I used to hate it when people put syrupy canned pineapple in savoury dishes but fresh pineapple in a salad sounds lovely.

ETA Middle Eastern restaurants also sometimes use pomegranate seeds in salads - I must try too that if I can find any pomegranates from politically acceptable parts of the world.

Don't forget sprouts....sprouted mung beans are my favourite with some lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, corn, radish, peppers and scallions maybe with some toasted sesame and pumpkin seeds. Delicious and very filling. I'm having mustard cravings at the moment so my dressing is an olive oil/balsamic vinegar/mustard mix. Mmmmm...I'm going to make this for my lunch now.

Quote harpy View Post
    Pineapple, I must try that. I used to hate it when people put syrupy canned pineapple in savoury dishes but fresh pineapple in a salad sounds lovely.

ETA Middle Eastern restaurants also sometimes use pomegranate seeds in salads - I must try too that if I can find any pomegranates from politically acceptable parts of the world.
    What mean you by this? Is it difficult to find them round your parts?

Last week I tried a salad recipe that I found on the internet and it was AMAZING. I HIGHLY suggest this as a main dish salad.

Orange Soy Spinach Salad
    Dressing:
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon rice vinegar
    1/4 cup safflower oil

Salad:
    1 beet, shredded
    baby spinach
    1 carrot, shredded
    2 oranges, peeled and cut
    raisins and pine nuts to taste
    red pepper chopped (i added this one myself)

It was really good and tangy. and every time i got a chunk of orange it was like a little treat! Also, I used some shredded cabbage with the spinach and it was a really good addition, made the salad even more filling and robust.

Quote Sarah_ View Post
    What mean you by this? Is it difficult to find them round your parts?
    The ones I've seen lately were from Israel and I'm not all that keen on buying stuff from there at the moment. Pomegranates do grow in other countries though so there should be others available if I hunt around.

I like cold noodle salad for hot summer day. I can eat this all day...
    Ingredients:
    Half a cucumber, shredded
    some lettuce, thinly sliced
    1 tbsp sesame sauce, critical ingredient
    1 tbsp chilli oil if you love spicy like me
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp vinegar
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1 pack dried noodles, can be instant noodels, straight to wok noodels, even spagetti..

Directions:
    Boil the noodles, drain and rinse under cold water
    Stir in the veggies
    Mix all the ingredients and pour on noodles. mmm...
    Love life love soya...

RubyDuby

what's sesame sauce? like tahini?
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I don't know what tahani is. Sesame sauce is grinded sesame seeds+vegetable oil.
    Light brown/chocalate colour. Very fragrant.
    See pic.
    Love life love soya...

you can buy sesame sauce from many supermarkets and any Chinese food store. Usually in a glass jar like other sauces. In the Oriental food section.
    Love life love soya...

Finely shredded cabbage, chopped seitan, pumpkin seeds and raisins.

Dress with olive oil and vinegar of your choice.

i like the portabella mushroom salad from veganomicon

grilled portabella mushrooms
    avocados
    red onion
    lettuce (durh)
    chickpeas

and the dressing is a musterd dressing with
    spicy brown musterd
    red wine vinegar
    maple syrup
    olive oil

its very yum, and everyone i feed it to wants the recipe even the omnis!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

This feature was in the paper last weekend - not all of them are vegan but some of those that aren't could be easily adapted I would think:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...pes-annie-bell

I tried the roast pepper, spelt and pistachio one for a picnic yesterday except that I couldn't find pearled spelt so used "Ebly" wheat instead. I also left out the chilli as some of the people wouldn't have liked it, but I would, so I will put it in next time I thought it was very good, and easy to prepare.

I make a power salad probably once a week, and it is frickin lovely!

Salad:
    Chick Peas
    Soya Beans
    Sweetcorn
    Garden Peas
    Green Beans
    Celery
    Spring Onions
    Cucumber (sometimes)
    Fresh Spinach (sometimes)
    Carrots (sometimes)

Dressing:
    Soy Sauce
    Hemp Oil (or Sesame Oil)
    Olive Oil
    Crushed Garlic
    Mixed Spice
    Crushed Black Peppercorn

I will either have this on it's own or with some cous cous. It's delightful! I'm sorry I don't have any measurements, I tend to just whack it all in! After putting everything into a pan I'll sometimes just cook it gently for a couple of mins to soften it up. This keeps you going through a long afternoon at work. I'm getting hungry now, so I'm gonna pop and make some for tomorrow
    I like football. And potatoes.

Rocket Queen

Loads of Lettuce.Chopped tomatoes and cucumber. Loads of Avacado..cooked chickpeas, and dressing of olive oil with salt and pepper and I am happy

Default co-op salad dressing

I've just purchased a co-op fusion salad with a creamy thai dressing thats marked vegan. Of course the good news is in the dressing, not the salad but I thought I'd let you all know as it was yummy.

Default Re: Salads and dressings

my dad gave me a supplement from the times last week called '75 salad recipes' which has lots of veggie recipes in there, yesterday i tried these with some mixed salad and they were both really nice (especially the second one mmm):

* Mix wedges of tomatoes and peaches, add slivers of red onion, a few red-pepper flakes and coriander. Dress with olive oil and lime or lemon juice

* Grate carrots, toast some sunflower seeds, and toss with blueberries, olive oil, lemon juice and plenty of black pepper

there are some more which sound nice which i'm going to have to try too:

* shred chinese cabbage and radishes. The dressing is roasted peanuts, lime juice, peanut or other oil, coriander and fresh or dried chilli, all whizzed in a blender

* chop or slice radishes (or kohlrabi) and combine with chopped or sliced unripe mango, lime juice and mint or coriander

* cook whole grape tomatoes in olive oil over high heat until the brown, lightly sprinkle with curry powder, cool a little then toss with chopped rocket leaves, loads of chopped mint and lime juice

i don't know if this is all on the times website but the recipes are by mark bittman

Default Salad dressing?

I still miss salad cream, the vegan ones just don't taste as good as Heinz. Can anyone recommend a dressing that has similar qualities? I'm looking for that sweet sour kind of taste. Any ideas? I don't mind having to make it myself is anyone has a recipe, but would rather have something I can just pick up off the shelf if possible.
    Last edited by Korn; Jul 30th, 2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Quote gmc
    I still miss salad cream, the vegan ones just don't taste as good as Heinz. Can anyone recommend a dressing that has similar qualities? I'm looking for that sweet sour kind of taste. Any ideas? I don't mind having to make it myself is anyone has a recipe, but would rather have something I can just pick up off the shelf if possible.
    I've never had salad cream but I know that there's a recipe for it on Vegweb.
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote missbettie View Post
    i like the portabella mushroom salad from veganomicon

grilled portabella mushrooms
    avocados
    red onion
    lettuce (durh)
    chickpeas

and the dressing is a musterd dressing with
    spicy brown musterd
    red wine vinegar
    maple syrup
    olive oil

its very yum, and everyone i feed it to wants the recipe even the omnis!
    This is my go to salad dressing also, and I use it for coleslaw as well.
    I also like to make a tahini sauce for salad dressing, which is a more creamy kind of dressing. I add turmeric, mustard powder, cumin, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and just a pinch of tamari with the tahini and then add water to thin it a little and get a creamy consistency.

I have not tried any store bought salad dressings. Tonight I made a "taco" salad using crumbled tempeh, flaxmeal, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and salsa mixed together and poured over my garden salad. Even salsa alone makes a good salad dressing. Sometimes I forego salad dressing altogether and use things like beets, or pickles, or avocado in my salad and this adds a lot of flavor too.

Default Re: Salad dressing?

Quote gmc View Post
    Have you tried Asda's reduced fat salad cream, its "accidentally" vegan rather than being made that way and tastes rather good IMO

Default Re: Salad dressing

I have been experimenting with blending raspberries, tomatoes, celery, spices and lemon juice in my Vitamix to avoid fat, sugar and vinegar.

So far the results were very encouraging, but a bit on the "fresh" side, mainly due to avoiding the (refined) sugar.

Best regards,
    Andy

I have missed salad cream so much since going vegan and the off the shelf versions just don't do it for me. If you feel the same try this. It makes a passable alternative.

60g vegan mayo
    20g syrup
    1 tblspn rice vinegar
    1/4 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp dried English mustard
    2 tblspns oil

Put a container on digital scales and zero it back, add all ingredients, mix together...... Done. You might need to alter some if the ingredients according to personal taste..... It might be too sweet for some. Also it depends on the brand of mayo. Plamil works well, as does tiger tiger

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Have you tried Asda's reduced fat salad cream, its "accidentally" vegan rather than being made that way and tastes rather good IMO

I had a look last week, and it isn't any more, it has egg in it.

Quote gmc View Post
    I have missed salad cream so much since going vegan and the off the shelf versions just don't do it for me.
    What off the shelf versions? Are there any left?

Quote gmc View Post
    I had a look last week, and it isn't any more, it has egg in it.
    I did exactly the same Well, I bought some for a home delivery and we had to give it back to the delivery guy.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    What off the shelf versions? Are there any left?

A long time ago, maybe 3/4 years ago I found a vegan salad cream in my local health food shop. I don't even know if it is still available, but it tasted nothing like 'proper' salad cream, it was more like runny mayo.

It does but I have never tried it, I think it can still be found in H&B

Not currently a vegan

You can use spinach, tomato sauce, potato, green chili or red chili and one of the best carrot.

Try this dressing, Enjoy!

1 mango
    1/2 red capsicum
    1 cup coriander
    1/2 lime juice

Blend ingredients to make salad dressing. Add to whatever salad you like!
    "let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" - Hippocrates

SALADS ROCK! One of the best things EVER to eat, IMHO. There are an endless number of phenomenal combinations. I am convinced that there is a salad for everyone. You can put just about anything you want in a salad.....kind of like smoothies that way, I guess.

I have to say, though, I absolutely abhor iceberg lettuce. YUCK! The varieties of salad greens available make it even more gross. I am totally partial to spinach but often have mesclun, red leaf or green leaf, kale, romaine, endive, frisee, arugula, etc.

I am not a big dressing person just because they tend to be not very healthy but a homemade vinaigrette is generally my preference.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone ever tried raw shredded beets in their salad? It is REALLY good!