Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Salad dressing

FR

Default Vegan Ranch Dressing: Does it exist?

Does anyone know of know of a vegan ranch dressing? My girlfriend will only eat salads with that kind of dressing despite the fact that I have yummy dressings like raspberry vinaigrette, and goddess dressing. I feel bad that she chooses not to indulge in the creative and delicious salads I make because I have no ranch dressing.
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 11th, 2005 at 11:04 PM. Reason: New thread merged with existing

Yogini

Default Re: Vegan Ranch Dressing: Does it exist?

Pangea (www.veganstore.com) sells Instead o' Ranch salad dressing mix. It's not bad. Not fantastic, mind you, but not bad. That's too bad that she doesn't like Goddess dressing - it's my favorite. The tahini makes it creamy, but without the dairy.

Love,
    Anna
    Last edited by Yogini; Nov 11th, 2005 at 03:03 PM. Reason: didn't read previous post thorougly

i have fooled ranch lovers with a packet of italian dressing mix made up with vegan mayo and soymilk
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Yogini

That sounds kind of tasty!

You haven't said much about her, FR! How's it going? Is she reducing her meat intake?

I'm dating an omni, too.

FR

Quote Artichoke47
    You haven't said much about her, FR! How's it going? Is she reducing her meat intake?

I'm dating an omni, too.
    She has reduced her intake of animal meats overall as she doesn't eat any while she is with me and that usually amounts to two days out of the week. She brings home leftovers and eats those, too. She loves tofu, which I don't really care all that much for. She refuses to try hummus for some reason.

Everything is going well thus far, and I've been with her for a little over two months.

I have seen some recipes for ranch dressing so I will just make some of that. I would have thought, Annie's, or some veggie oriented company would be offering pre-made vegan ranch.

this is a great vegan ranch dressing recipe:

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/ve...hdressing.html
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Default Taking back salad

In the earlier days of vegetarianism, let alone veganism, our for founders have had to toil over many jokes, insults and crazinesses. (I am sure to some extent, many of us are still being mocked today)
    In these insluts and jokes thrown at 'our kind' things such as...

"Well what do you eat then? Salad? Rabbit food? hahahah crazy vegan"
    "That aint no food, wheres' da meat?"
    "Be careful she/he is a vegetarian (commentor unaware of veganism) they will blow away like a leaf"...

"No, we don't have anything veeganh, how about bread with lettuce?" Has repeatedly come up.

Alas, my thread.

I am here to take back salad and its good name (and tastiness). Salad is not rabbit food (Rabbits eat alfalfa, leafy greens, and veggies) and it is more than mere bits of lettuce.
    Alas, I have decided to share my salad affiliated recepies in hopes that we can take back salad and its association to vegans. I hope that one day, we will be able to walk the streets free of insults from commoners, head held up high saying

"Yes, I am a VEGAN, and I DO eat SALAD"
    (along with other yummy things)

Tahini Salad Dressing

• Tahini
    • Lemon
    • Cilantro (finely chopped)
    • Vinegar
    • Soy Sauce
    • Water

Mix ingredients (amounts depends on the quantity you want)
    and TA DA! A lovely dressing for you and your salad.

Don't be shy to say that you eat salad. And say goodbye to Caesar, thousand island, and other non vegan dressings.

Bean, pasta, fruit, desert, you got a recipe? Share it. Let others know that you are a vegan and eat salad!
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood

Default Re: Taking back salad

Salad's great with the right topping. On it's own I personally find it a bit bland and boring thou.

I particularly like salad (several varieties of lettuce, carrot, peppers, cherry tomatos, cucumber) with a hot mixture of mushrooms slowely cooked in extra virgin olive oil and fried tofu in homemade hoisin sauce.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Chickpeas in salads=love.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Salad isn't food, it's garnish
    Silent but deadly :p

I like salads, too. I prefer spinach to lettuce, though.
    So I usually have spinach, cucumber, tomato, radish, beetroot. I sometimes have dressing but I like it plain, too. Serve with Kettle Chips, samosas, hummous, salsa, crudite.

I was always the person that went round collecting the salad garnishes off the plates at skanky buffets (when I was an omni). You could usually scrape up a decent plateful.

Quote Rob(QG)
    I was always the person that went round collecting the salad garnishes off the plates at skanky buffets (when I was an omni). You could usually scrape up a decent plateful.

and here was me thinking you were one of the more normal people on this forum!
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Rob(QG)
    That's horrible I thought it was bad enough just to eat the ones you were given!!

Having said that, I would have been tempted (out of desperation) by the garnishes at the 'skanky buffet' at my cousin's wedding last year, had they not been garnishing platefuls of meat.

I am quite happy eating mountains of salad, provided it is eaten as part of a balanced diet (ie plenty of cake, fried foods etc... ). Spinach ones are my favourite. I never used to like dressing; I do now but I'm not that bothered if there isn't any.

Quote cherry
    I am quite happy eating mountains of salad, provided it is eaten as part of a balanced diet (ie plenty of cake, fried foods etc... ).
    Me too!

Best regards.
    "When a human kills an animal for food, he is neglecting his own hunger for justice."
    Isaac Bashevis Singer

Default Re: Taking back salad - Salads and dressings

Salads are AWESOME. And I agree with you, Tigerlily. Chickpeas MAKE the salad. I love their texture. Grated carrots are usually a great addition...so is spinach, arugula, mushrooms, avocado, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, croutons....... i could go on and on....

For salad dressing, my fav is:
    -flax seed oil
    -grapeseed oil
    -balsamic vinegar and/or rice vinegar
    -parsley
    -dill
    -salt, pepper

yummmm

Default Grecian-styled salad

My favorite salad :
    mixed green lettuces,
    red cabbage,
    dolmas (rice-stuffed grape leaves, marinated in olive oil, lemon, & spices),
    tomato,
    cuccumber,
    carrot,
    green olives,
    sliced raw mushrooms

dressed with:
    olive or sunflower oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, and lime juice
    "Ignorance is a curable disease"

I like to put dried cranberries ("Craisins") and nuts- especially walnuts- on my salads.

I like to sautee mushrooms with a dash of soy sauce and lots of cumin and add it to salads after it's been chilled and marinating (like the next day).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

mmmm...just had one:
    Mixed baby greens, lentil, pea and garbonzo sprouts, grape tomatos, cucumbers, carrots, broccoli with Annie's Goddess Dressing.

If they were ripe I would have had avacados...and I forgot about my mushrooms in the back of the fridge until I put away things after I ate.

I also love sunflower seeds, other types of sprouts (alfalfa, sunflower, bean...it goes on and on), kidney beans, garbonzo beans (not sprouted as well as sprouted), radishes, red and yellow peppers, cooked sweet potato, olives...yum. I mix all kinds of things up, but the above is my basic bare minimum.

I also love orange poppy seed dressing (OJ, poppyseeds, olive oil), annies Papaya orange poppy seed, basil vinegrette, different types of vinegars: balsamice vinegar, red wine vinegar, raspberry vinegar...can't think of much else except I eat alot of salad.

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Default Salads

I was wondering what everyone puts in their salads.

I get the bag of salads they sell at Wal-Mart and then add Cauliflower, Broccoli, Tomatoes, Black beans, carrots, radishes, and snap peas.

Default Re: Salads

I don't like the prepacked bag stuff as it is washed in a strong chlorine solution.
    I chop up my own, which is usually romaine, lambs lettuce or chicory. I also add tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, raw mushrooms, beetroot, sprouts, cress, spinach, shredded cabbage.
    Finely grated carrot and celery with pineapple cubes is divine.
    A salad based on lentils, tomatoes and red onion is also great.
    Oh, and my favourite: sweet potato and banana salad.
    What should't be missing in any case is loads of balsamic vinegar, I'm addicted to the stuff.
    I just love salads!
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Default Re: Salads

I also sometimes put cucumber and spinach in my salads. I like a lot of differcent things in my salads but I'm usually to lazy to cut everything up. I also love salads! I had like 3 salads the other day, hehe. I wish they made(I dont think they do) a fat-free as in zero fat, in dressings. The dressings can really pack on the calories. I get reduced fat but there is still a lot of fat still in it, so what I do is pour a little of dressing on my salad, then put a lid over the bowl and shake it a lot so the dressing gets all over.

Have you noticed how food in the media, magazines and suchlike seems to be swinging back to the 50's i.e. meat, lard, cream laden unhealthy cholesterol raising stuff. Whatever happened to healthy eating?
    The other day I saw a breakfast recipe from Gordon Ramsay's wife for bacon and eggs on bagel covered in butter and home made hollandaise sauce all over it - yuk! not only full of fat but who has time to make hollandaise sauce in the morning!
    There wasn't a single vegan recipe in You magazine over Christmas, even the salad dishes had bacon in or soft boiled eggs poured all over them - disgusting!
    Silent but deadly :p

Default salads

suggestions for 'foody' salads (to make a meal on its own)?

here's one:

iceberg lettuce or napa cabbage
    avocado
    rice noodles
    carrot (cut in sticks)
    celery
    bean sprouts (not necessary)
    red pepper, cut in thin stripes
    tofu, smoked is nice
    tahini (a very liquid tahini is ok like that, a thick past is nicer if diluted w( some water as it sticks less in your mouth and mixes more with the rest of the salad)
    wakame (or some other seeweed. though not necessary. but they have iodine..!)

Default new take on tabbouli

Got leftover Quinoa? add abundant quantities of chopped coriander and some fresh mint, thinly sliced green onion, bit of this or that...

Dressing: crush a sprinkle of cumin seed with a small garlic clove and a thin slice of ginger with salt in a morter,dissolve in a marble-size lump of tamarind paste. Thin to pouring consistency.

tamarind can be substituted with a puree of raisins and lemon juice

fresh mint can be substituted with mint tea in the dressing or in cooking the quinoa.

I prefer a small selection of salads over a big mixed bowl: waldorf, slaw, bean, pasta or marinated veg and a leafy choice

sugarmouse

i love salads.fave ingredients..loads of rocket as a base, cherry tomatoes, olives, avacado,good ina wrap.
    u dnt realy need any dressin on that one!

You like a little "bite" in your salad? If so, try this. 1-2 tbsp of olive oil (per diner) in a large bowl, put 1 clove of garlic through a press directly into the oil, add a bit of salt and fresh-ground black pepper (SO worth it), then add the greens right on top and toss with tongs until evenly coated.

Or google for a mandarin orange salad recipe. Mom made some last night that was SOOOO yummy.

Default refreshingly new

Hey, Basteq.... are you trying these?

I love salad. I usually start with spinach, but I also like spring mix and butter lettuce is awesome!

Things i add are -

Olives (green and black)
    grape tomatos
    raw chunks of pepper (capsicum) yellow/orange/red/green or a mix
    croutons

I like to top them with something warm, like a huge portabella mushroom cap hot of the grill (sliced though) or a fake "chicken" patty (also sliced). and then a lemon juice/olive oil itallian dressing.

Also, a taco style salad is yummy, which fake taco-style meat, some red onions and a creamy lime dressing. Leave off croutons and add some tortilla chips instead. vegan cheese works too.

And sometimes I throw a bunch of grilled veggies on top of greens, or even a chopped up warm grilled or baked potato.

Default hot salad

That's my kind of salad, Wildflower. My family also likes roast tofu as an addition to leafy salads: ground coriander and cumin with a few shakes of paprika (hot smoked/sweet hungarian) salt or soysauce and enough oil to make mix runny. Toss cubes or slices of tofu to coat. Hot oven single layer(convection) 10-20 min depending on chewiness desired.

that sounds yummy pat! What temp/gas mark do you put the oven at? I really like the pre-packaged baked tofu in salad. it's really yum!

Another great thing I forgot about is broccoli. I love broccoli in salad, and grated carrots.

Default tofu

oven temp for roasting tofu depends alot on the roasting pan. A thin alu sheet in an unevenly heated oven I would try 180 c; if it works move up to 190. With a convection oven and a heavy enamel tray I roast 2cm cubes at 220c, rotating the pan halfway thru bake time. Baking paper means no clean-up!
    A similar treatment with pumpkin seeds or almonds gets my family's interest as well.

Thanks!

Salads are my favorite! If I have anything else but a salad for lunch, I really don't feel like I had lunch.

I make a huge salad at the beginning of the week and I eat it throughout the week.

Here are 2 variations

2 kinds of lettuce
    tomatos
    cucumbers
    bean sprouts
    garbanzo beans (chick peas)
    kidney beans

Dressing: vegan mayonaise thinned down with soy milk, 2 cloves of garlic, onion powder and dil weed.

The other has a kind of Southwest zing.

2 kinds of lettuce
    tomatos
    black olives
    kidney beans
    garbanzo beans
    corn

Dressing: vegan mayonaise mixed with salsa

They are not too exciting but I love em! I think it's the beans that really make them filling.

mmmmmm....I've been having craving for salads every day. Probably a part of cabin fever. Right now, my favorites are spring mix with walnuts and cranberries and some "unfeta" = uncheez and a viniagrette.

That Mexican one you posted is going to be awesome - I have been having cravings for spicy things too.

almost all of these salads are from a cookbook that i think is just called Jewish Cooking.

BEETROOT WITH FRESH MINT

4-6 cooked beets
    1-2t sugar
    1-2T balsamic vinegar
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    2T olive oil
    1 bunch fresh mint, leaves stripped & thinly sliced
    salt

slice the beet or cut into even-size dice with a sharp knife. put the beets in a bowl, add sugar, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, and a pinch of salt and toss together to combine. add half the thinly sliced fresh mint to the salad and toss lightly until well combined. place the salad in the refrigerator and chill for about 1 hour. serve garnished with the remaining thinly sliced mint leaves.

variations
    *to make tunisian beetroot add harissa to taste and substitute fresh cilantro for the mint.
    *to make ashkenazi beetroot add a chopped onion and some dill

GALILEE SALAD OF WILD GREENS, RAW VEGETABLES AND OLIVES

1 large bunch (4oz) arugula (rocket)
    8-12oz mixed baby greens
    1/4 white cabbage, thinly sliced
    1 cucumber, sliced
    1 small red onion, chopped
    2-3 garlic cloves
    3-5 tomatoes, cut into wedges
    1 green bell pepper, seeded & sliced
    2-3 mint sprigs, torn
    1-2T chopped fresh parsley,tarragon, and/or dill
    pinch of dried oregano or thyme
    3T olive oil
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    1T red wine vinegar
    15-20 black olives
    salt and ground black pepper

in a large salad bowl put the rocket, baby greens, cabbage, cucumber, onion and garlic. toss gently with your fingers to combine the leaves and vegetables. arrange the tomatoes, pepper, mint, fresh and dried herbs, salt and pepper on top of the greens and vegetables. drizzle over the oil, lemon juice and vinegar, stud with olives and serve.

this classic summer salad lends itself to endless variety: add olives, diced beetroot, or potatoes, omit the chili, vary the herbs, use lime or lemon in place of the vinegar or add a good pinch of ground cumin. it is always wonderful.

ISRAELI CHOPPED VEGETABLE SALAD

1 each red, green and yellow bell pepper, seeded
    1 carrot
    1 cucumber
    6 tomatoes
    3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    3 spring onions (scallions)
    2T chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    2T each chopped fresh dill, parsley and mint leaves
    1 hot fresh chili, chopped (optional)
    3-4T olive oil
    juice of 1-1 1/2 lemons
    salt & black pepper

using a sharp knife, finely dice the red, green and yellow peppers, carrot, cucumber and tomatoes and place them in a large mixing bowl. add the garlic, spring onions, cilantro, dill, parsley, mint and chili to the chopped vegetables and toss together to combine. pour the olive oil and lemon juice over the vegetables, season with salt and pepper to taste and toss together. chill before serving.

MOROCCAN VEGETABLE SALAD

1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
    2 cold, boiled potatoes, sliced
    1 each red, yellow and green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
    2 2/3c pitted black olives
    1 fresh hot chili, chopped or 2-3 shakes of cayenne pepper
    3-5 garlic cloves, chopped
    3 spring onions, sliced or 1 red onion, finely chopped
    4-6T olive oil
    1-2T white wine vinegar
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    1-2T chopped fresh mint leaves
    1-2T chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    salt

arrange the cucumber, potato and pepper slices and the pitted olives on a serving plate or in a dish. sprinkle the chopped fresh chili or cayenne pepper over the salad and season wiht salt, if you like. (olives tend to be salty so you may not wish to add any extra salt) sprinkle the garlic, onions, olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice over the salad. chill before serving, sprinkles with the chopped mint leaves and cilantro.

MOROCCAN CARROT SALAD

3-4 carrots, thinly sliced
    pinch of sugar
    3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
    1/4t ground cumin, or to taste
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    2-3T olive oil
    1-2T red wine vinegar or fruit vinegar
    2T chopped cilantro or mixture of cilantro and parsley
    salt and black pepper

cook the carrots by either steaming or boiling in lightly salted water until they are just tender but not soft. drain, leave for a few moments to dry, then put in a bowl. add the sugar, garlic, cumin, lemon juice. olive oil and vinegar to the carrots and toss together. add the herbs and season. serve or chill before serving.

TUNISIENNE POTATO AND OLIVE SALAD
    8 large new potatoes
    large pinch of salt
    large pinch of sugar
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    1T vinegar of your choice
    large pinch of ground cumin or whole cumin seeds
    pinch of cayenne pepper or hot paprika
    2-3T olive oil
    2-3T chopped fresh cilantro
    10-15 dry-fleshed black mediterranean olives

chop the new potatoes into chunks. put them in a pan, pour in water to cover and add the salt and sugar. bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and boil gently for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender. drain well and leave in a colander to cool. when cool enough to handle, slice the potatoes and put in a bowl. sprinkle the garlic, vinegar, cumin and cayenne or paprika over the salad. drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over cilantro and olives. chill before serving.

WHITE BEANS WITH GREEN PEPPERS IN SPICY DRESSING

1 2/3lb tomatoes, diced
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 mild fresh chili, finely chopped
    1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    pinch of sugar
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    14oz can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    3-4T olive oil
    grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
    1T cider vinegar
    salt and black pepper
    chopped fresh parsley to garnish

put the tomatoes, onion, chili, green pepper, sugar, garlic, beans, salt and plenty of ground black pepper in a large bowl and toss together until well combined. add the olive oil, grated lemon rind, lemon juice and vinegar to the salad and toss lightly to combine. chill before serving, garnished with chopped parsley.

this is half pickle, half salad, and totally delicious served as a brunch or as an appetizer. serve with thin slices of pumpernickel or other coarse, dark, full-flavored bread.

SWEET AND SOUR CUCUMBER WITH FRESH DILL

1 large or 2 small cucumbers, thinly sliced
    3 onions, thinly sliced
    3T sugar
    5-6T white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
    2-3 T water
    2-3T chopped fresh dill
    salt

in a bowl mis together the sliced cucumber and onion, season with salt and toss together until thoroughly combined. leave to stand in a cool place for 5-10 minutes. add the sugar, white wine or cider vinegar, whater and chopped dill to the cucumber mixture. toss otgether until well combined, then chill for a few hours, or until ready to serve.
    this salad can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week.

If you're like me and often too lazy to make homemade dressing, Nasoya makes a great ranch-like dressing. It's called Creamy Dill dressing. It's a lot like ranch only a little more dill, but still excellent. I bought a bottle last weekend and I'm nearly done it already!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

VEGAN GODDESS DRESSING

INGREDIENTS:
    1 (10 ounce) package soft silken tofu
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 teaspoons tamari

DIRECTIONS:
    Whisk together the tofu and olive oil until a thick mayonnaise like consistency is reached.
    Add the herbs, vinegar, salt and soy sauce; mix well and refrigerate.

MISO SALAD DRESSING

This vegan dressing introduced thousands to two rich and versatile soy foods -- miso and tofu. White miso is the mildest and sweetest. Here it blends with tofu to form a creamy silken dressing that is as delicious spooned over steamed vegetables, potatoes, pasta or grilled salmon as it is on greens or combined with shredded cabbage as an Asian slaw.

1/2 cup roughly chopped yellow onions
    1/2 pound extra-firm tofu, drained
    1/4 cup white miso
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    1 cup water
    Dash of cayenne

Place onions, tofu, miso, vinegar, olive oil, parsley and water in a food processor and whirl until smooth and creamy. Keeps 5 days refrigerated.

ORANGE POPPYSEED DRESSING

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup Water
    1/4 cup Lemon Juice
    6 oz. Orange Juice, frozen concentrated
    4 Tbsp. Poppy Seeds
    2 Tbsp. Paprika
    2 Scallions (green onions)
    1/8 - 1/4 tsp. Stevia Extract Powder (Adjust sweetness to taste)
    1/2 tsp. Guar Gum, powdered (adjust quantity to desired consistency)
    (To enlarge the photo of the orange poppy seed dressing, click on the photo or link)

Preparation (in a blender):

Place the Water, Lemon Juice, Poppy Seeds, Paprika, Scallions, and Stevia in the blender container. Cover and mix at "high" speed for about 30 seconds. Slow down the blender and add the Orange Juice concentrate, and blend until smooth. If you desire the dressing to be thicker, sprinkle in the Guar Gum, and continue mixing for another few minutes. Pour into serving bottles and store any unconsumed dressing in the refrigerator.

THE ULTIMATE VEGAN CAESAR SALAD

Rome never had it so good!

There are three parts to making this salad the best it can be: the homemade croutons (adapted from my Mom's recipe), the creamy garlic dressing, and the preparation of the lettuce. This will be time consuming, but trust me, it's more than worth it.

1 large head of romaine lettuce, washed, dried between layers of paper towels and chilled for at least an hour
    1 recipe of homemade croutons (see below)
    1 recipe of vegan Caesar dressing (see below)
    Almosen Sprinkle - optional (see the "Non-dairy Cheeses" section of this website)

As the lettuce is chilling, prepare the homemade croutons. You can use store-bought, if you like, but they will come nowhere near tasting as good as these homemade ones do.

Homemade Croutons

5-6 slices whole grain bread, cut into cubes
    6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tbsp dried basil
    2 tsp dried tarragon
    2 tsp dried oregano

In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil. Add the bread cubes and toss constantly, on high heat, for five minutes, until the bread has absorbed most of the oil. Turn heat to low, add the garlic and herbs, and fry for 25 minutes, tossing occassionally, until the croutons are browned and crunchy.

Prepare the salad dressing.

Creamy Caesar Dressing

3/4 cup medium-firm tofu (silken is okay)
    1 1/2 tbsp light oil
    2 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1/2 tsp dijon mustard
    1-2 tbsp minced garlic (more or less to taste)
    1/4 tsp ground pepper
    1/2 tsp sea salt

Combine all ingredients in your blender or food processor and whip until smooth.

Now, tear the chilled lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in a large salad bowl. Add the croutons and toss. Pour the dressing over all, and toss again. At this point, you can add a generous helping of Almosen Sprinkle (a parmesan cheese substitute), if desired, and toss yet again. Serve immediately.

Serves 4-6

BASIC FRENCH DRESSING

Three-quarters cup olive oil
    One-third cup cider vinegar (or lemon juice if to be used fresh)
    Half tsp brown sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1-2 cloves garlic crushed or finely chopped
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (check ingredients do not include anchovies!)

One-eighth tsp dry mustard or one quarter tsp mustard paste
    Place all ingredients in a jar with a tight lid.
    Shake well before using.