Thread: Ideas for packed lunches and nutritous, balanced evening meals???

Megan89

Default Ideas for packed lunches and nutritous, balanced evening meals???

Right ok, thinking caps on!
    I have been offered a 5 week job as a charity fundraiser. I will be living all over the UK during this time and will be staying in holiday cottage type accommodation.
    I will be able to shop for food just once a week and will be outdoors from
    9am - 6pm. I need meal ideas for packed lunches and nutritous, balanced evening meals which are quick to make (and of course tasty). Ideas for healthy snacks also needed! The food needs to be as energy-dense as possible as I can't afford to lose anymore weight (already only a BMI of 17 eeek!).
    All suggestions/advice muchly appreciated!
    Thanks, peace and love
    Megan xx

Default Re: Meal ideas for packed lunches and nutritous, balanced evening meals???

Hello there

Soup in a thermos, for example pea soup, tomato soup ect can be quick to make from scratch, is nutritous and can heat up the body if it is cold and rainy outside. Eaten along with some sandwiches and some salad. Sandwiches with hummus, seitan, bean burgers ect

Trail mix with different kinds of dired fruit, seeds, nuts and dark chocolate.

This page, you might know if from before because its so popular, shows nutritous vegan lunch box meals: http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html

Hope you got the reply you needed ...

Default Re: Meal ideas for packed lunches and nutritous, balanced evening meals???

You could take some soya yoghurt in your packed lunch and stir the trail mix into it.

You could make pasta or couscous with vegetables and beans/lentils for your dinner, and then take the leftovers cold the next day for your lunch - with salad dressing if you like. (You could do the same thing with rice, only cold rice is supposed to be a bit of a magnet for food-poisoning bugs.)

Potato salad is another thing that's nice hottish or cold - you could add some smoked tofu (or braised tofu from a can?) to make it more nourishing.

Only being able to shop once a week could be a problem for having fresh veg to hand, but maybe you could get frozen ones, if there's a freezer?

Megan89

Talking Re: Meal ideas for packed lunches and nutritous, balanced evening meals???

Smoked tofu sounds tasty - one question where can you buy it from? I have not seen it before.
    Thank you all for your helpful advice!! Anymore advice will be much appreciated
    Thanks Megan xxxx

Default Re: Ideas for packed lunches and nutritous, balanced evening meals???

Make sure that you start off the day with something good. Porridge fills you up, you can put almond butter in for calcium and protein, also raisins etc..Molasses is also packed with good things you can put that in hot soya milk or in yoghurt.

I find eating raw nuts/seeds a trial on my tummy, so I dry roast them. Just heat a frying pan and dry roast:
    Almonds
    Cashews
    Sunflower, pumpkins, sesame seeds. You can add a little soy sauce and let them sizzle off the heat and absorb the sauce.

Also, with a little oil, you can fry off some pistachios. Add a touch of salt and pepper.

You can add all of these to salads and it will give you essential nutrients and protein

For breakfast I have perfected the no-cook porridge:

Put 1-2 tablespoona of porridge oats in bowl. Add tsp sunflower, sesame, 2 of pumpkin. Pour on boiling water. Let it sit for a while whilst preparing fruit to go in-apple, banana, nectarine, etc. Add soya milk/live yoghurt. Add the fruit. If not sweet enough, add agave syrup. Yum

I'm working the nightshift tonight and I just made my dinner to take to work. It's a nice nutricious salad:

chickpeas
    grated carrot
    chopped tomato
    chopped orange pepper
    avocado cut into cubes
    chopped red onion
    poppyseed dressing

prepared all the ingredients and stirred it together in a tupperware container. Took about 15 minutes to prepare.

Going to have it with a bottle of apple green tea.

Ideas for packed lunches...well, why not Vegan Lunch Box?

I have a website, http://kawaiicookery.com, and sometimes I post my packed lunches. Today I made a noodle dish and I'll be updating it with pictures tonight!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

That is a lovely looking avocado salad! Keep the recipes coming.

pavotrouge

YAY tigerlily! Are you also into bento? I ordered some new bento boxes a week ago... though I'm too lazy make an amazingly kawaii bento every night...