Thread: Saunas and steam rooms

Default Saunas and steam rooms

I use these regularly but I'm still not sure what all the health benefits are supposed to be. Also there is plunge pool at my gym. This is a tub of chilled water. The idea is to go from the steam room to the plunge pool and back to the steam room, I think. Again I'm not sure what its supposed to do or how many times is healthy. It does make me feel good though.

Default Re: Saunas and steam rooms

Steam rooms are good for asthma.

Hammam is popular here, it's a dry version of sauna. I love both. I always feel as though I can breathe more deeply afterwards. I am sure that it helps de-block sinuses etc..It's also very good for your skin to sweat out impurities.
    I wish I could go more often! I avoid the plunge pool because I'm a bit of a hot-house flower

Okay ladies here it goes,

Water therapy(steam, baths etc.) is a remarkable re-energizer and it helps the body to heal itself and prevent other health problems from forming by restoring the energy flow in your body. Externally used (baths and soaks etc.) water cleanses the blood of poisons by dissolving them and bringing them through the circulation to the proper organs: liver, kidneys and skin to be expelled.

The skin is your largest and most effective organ for elimination in the body. Diseases live in the blood and the skin has the ablility to eliminate toxins from the blood. Hydrotherapy (the use of water to treat) aids in cleansing the built up toxins.
    When hot water is used it will cause the blood to rush to the skin (why you get red) and it is at this level that the toxins can be cleansed or the inflammation (congested blood) redirected w/ fresh cool blood replacing the heat.
    Water therapy creates new circulation by detoxifying the body or any accumulated poisons or toxins that linger after a disease or illness or at the start of disease or illness. Anytime there is disease there are negative effects to the circulation b/c or the overfilled blood vessesels can put pressure on nerves, the vessels can become inactive and result in congestion.
    Water can equalize blood temperature, releive pain and stress and stimulate or soothe the entire nervous system.

As for the hot and cold tubs:
    When anything warm or hot is applied to tissue, muscles relax and blood vessels dilate. This causes more blood to reach those tissues, unless activity follows or a cold application follow the tissue can become congested. For this reason a cold application should almost always follow a hot one w/ hydrotherapy methodology.
    Alternate hot and cold applications produce circulatory interchange and improved drainage and oxygen supply to the tissues, whether they be muscles, skin or organs.

If you are going to do alternating warm cold baths (which a warm sit should almost always be followed by a short cold sit) the warm should be longer than the cold.

Sorry if this was all so boring and no help, but I was trying to clear some things up for you and maybe give you some insite to the different options.
    Maybe it was not needed, I don't know, maybe too long.
    Any questions? Are you totally confused?
    "I got tossed out the window of loves El Camino"

Thanks TouchAddict Looks as though I will have to go for a splash in the cold water next time then...

Anytime!
    Just a quick one, less than a minute even, should be more tolerable to know it's a short amount of time.

BlackCats

Thanks Touchaddict

I would love to go to sauna/steam but I cannot stand heat - I am ridiculously pale, fair English person who cannot stand heat. I know they are supposed to be so good for you though its annoying.

Oh, I'm the same way, my skin is super sensitive to heat. I last a few minutes and am like going to pass out. I wish I had more tolerance, sometimes I just make myself feel past the despair just for the benefits. I love a hot day though, what's that about?

Quote touchaddict View Post
    Sorry if this was all so boring and no help, but I was trying to clear some things up for you and maybe give you some insite to the different options.
    Maybe it was not needed, I don't know, maybe too long.
    Any questions? Are you totally confused?
    No, thats wonderful info. Thank you so much. I wasn't sure if was doing it right but you've just confirmed that I am

Glad to help!

In the summer you can't beat a cold bath after a workout

You said it Neil.