Thread: What was your first movie, gig, stand-up, video game etc?

Default What was your first movie, gig, stand-up, video game etc?

I seem to recall a topic about the first album you bought, so I thought a similar but broadened topic for all entertainment related firsts would be cool.

The first film I can really recall seeing at the cinema is either Peter Pan or Home Alone, both at Butlins the same week.

The first horror I ever saw was an episode of 'Freddy's Nightmares' when I was 5 years old - cheers, bruv!

The first movie to cause me to have a nightmare was Beetlejuice.

And the first time I ever swore was thanks to an Amiga game on which you typed in words and they said them back to you - aw, back when games were innocent
    The things that we fear the most have already happened to us...

Default Re: Firsts

I think the first album I bought was a Cyndi Lauper one

The first film I remember seeing was Thumbelina

As far as horror films go mine (I think) was Sometimes they come back

I think Terminator or Small soldiers (I know how sad am I?) was the first film to give me nightmares.

I can't remember the first time I swore but I remember that my brother and I used to say half of the word each to make up the whole swear word, that way our parents couldn't shout at us 'cause technically neither of us swore
    Go Vegan, stay Human

ok, this is slightly geeky but when i first got gta san andreas (couple of years back) and i was sooo excited to play it there was just loads and loads of places to explore and it was ace!! am now (for ages) stuck on learning to fly and packed it in as impossible last october)..am sort of familiar with all the the islandy places so it's lost it's shiny exciting lustre..but the first time was "oooooh!!!"

another first scary film thing was being left at my dads mates house in london (telly as babysitter) whilst they went out boozing and left ten yr old me (and my 12 yr old sister) alone in a strange house with 2 videos - grease and creepshow..."eeek!!" creepshow..cockroaches..bleee!

my first single was soft cell 'torch'..which was exhilarating to buy with my own money i'd saved

erm..my first gig was adam and the ants..when i was ten..me and my sister got a wave offa the drummer bloke..or we may think we did..haw haw.might've made that one up and it's weaved it's way into our fake memories

swearing..i have no idea..i do remember trying to get hold of my dad's paperback copy of 'the exorcist' cos we knew it had the *gasp* F word in it...one sister guarding the door, and me stood on the chair arm to reach..then actually seeing it in print was visually stunning.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

First film I ever saw at the cinema was Grease.....and it's still my favourite film almost 30 years later

First single I bought with my own money....Baggy Trousers by Madness I think.

First horror film...Nightmare on Elm Street - I had to keep pausing it when it got to a scary bit, calm down and then carry on watching - it took ages to watch like that!

First film to give me nightmares, probably Candyman....and no, I daren't say Candyman three times out loud (just in case!)

First computer game I ever played...Horace and the Spiders on the ZX Spectrum

BlackCats

First film I ever saw at the cinema was The Arisocats/Dumbo I think, probably something Disney.

First single I bought with my own money - Probably something totally lame.

First horror film - I remember seeing trailer when I was about 6 for The Shining and being completely terrified. And I only had to hear the Jaws music to be scared.

First TV to give me nightmares - The Incredible Hulk and Dr Who TV shows. Daleks - well scary.

First computer game I ever played - I don't play any now but I played Mario Brothers with my brother (it was well primitive compared to nowadays.)

The first gig I ever saw was Oasis. I really wish it had been Adam and the Ants

The first stand-up comedian I ever saw live was Joe Pasquale. That one I'm happy with as he's great

The first single I ever bought was probably 'Real Good Time' by Alda

Oh, and the first sitcom I ever saw being filmed live as 'Green, Green Grass' which felt funnier live than on TV, lol.
    The things that we fear the most have already happened to us...

The first single I ever bought was Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkle, first album was Adam and the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier

First movie at the cinema was The Shaggy DA

First Horror movie was The Curse of the Werewolf (long after its release though. I'm not that old)

First film to give me nightmares was Nightmare on Elm St

First gig was The Cure back in 1985 when I was 14

I can't remember the first time I ever swore. I've been doing it for as long as I can remember

cobweb

My first record I paid for myself was by Funboy Three

First film at the cinema was Snow White

First film to give me nightmares was Clockwork Orange (a pirate copy, think it was still banned then, anyway, this made it more scary!)

First 'computer' game i ever played was Pacman (was very exciting at the time! - actually i still quite like it)

First time I told my mum to **** off was when I was about 10 and she told me to come down from my tree house and have a bath

First time i got, erm, intimate with a boy was when i was 14 on a school boating holiday in the Norfolk Broads

First job i had was a paper round every morning when i was 12

First concert i went to was Echo & The Bunnymen at the Brighton Centre (no fair, emmap, i wanted to see Adam and the Ants! )

First cigarette i smoked was in Cowfold park when i was 12

pavotrouge

Default Re: Firsts - what was your first movie, gig, stand-up, video game etc?

My first CD was one by Bon Jovi, not sure which

First film at the cinema was The Lion King

My first computer game- and the only one I played till the end- was the DOS-Version of "Simon the sorcerer"

First horror film was also Nightmare on Elm Street- wasn't scared back then and am still not impressed by horror movies

First live concert- I learned- was Genesis as a baby!

First computer game I ever played was Lemmings or Popolous (not sure which one was the first) on my fathers old Atari ST

The first TV-Movie that gave me sleepless nights was "Total Recall". Couldn't sleep because I felt like I'm going to choke.

And thanks to "Chucky" part two (which I watched when I was about seven or eight years old) basement stairs are still scaring the hell out of me

my first album was velveteen - transvision vamp ( i was/am in love with wendy james )

first cinema trip was to see snow white

my first stand up was Jo Brand and she was awful

my first gig was Guns N Roses at wembley stadium (soundgarden and faith no more supported)

one of my first video games was robo-cop on the spectrum +2
    I dont get crunchy people?

cinema: The first film I recall seeing at the cinema as a child was the original Batman movie in the late 1960's. I was taken there by my grandmother.
    album: The first album I recall buying was 'Live And Dangerous' by Thin Lizzy.
    live gig: The first big band I ever saw was Slade, Coventry Theatre, 1978. They rocked! I still have the tour badge.
    comedian: Mark Thomas, Warwick University, sometime in the late 80s.
    video game: The first one I recall really enjoying was Commander Keen.

RubyDuby

Quote TheAlterEgo View Post
    I can't remember the first time I swore but I remember that my brother and I used to say half of the word each to make up the whole swear word, that way our parents couldn't shout at us 'cause technically neither of us swore
    thats hilarious!!

Movie in theater: Willow

Album purchased: Tone-Loc

Movie to give nightmare: Nightmare on Elm Street... several times. Once my dog was Freddy and once my grandma was Freddy. I was afraid to hug her cuz she might knife me from behind.

First video game: something on Atari...
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

the first album i bought was Kylie my musical tastes have progressed somewhat since then.

i really can't remember the first film i saw... it must've been some kids' film. i don't remember the first stand-up i ever saw either my first gig was probably the Levellers.

i think the first computer game i ever played was a Hitch-hikers' Guide to the Galaxy text-only adventure - lol i'm such a nerd

First computer game was arcadians when I was about 5. That, or chuckie egg.

My first gig was The Levellers too

First film ... Jaws is the first one I really remember, though I didn't see it all the way through cos mum wouldn't let me watch it. My big sis had kindly videoed the gory bits

The first film I remember going to see at the cinema was 101 dalmations. Did I see that? Oh dear, it's all a bit of a long time ago.

I think the first album I bought was Tom Petty and the heartbreakers. Or maybe New Kids on the Block

Quote Cherry View Post
    That, or chuckie egg.
    that formed a significant part of my childhood
    I dont get crunchy people?

First Film: Winnie The Pooh & The Blustery Day, accompanied by The Blue Cat (Magic Roundabout)

First Single: Schools Out by Alice Cooper

First Album: not sure, probably something embarrassingly disco-ish

First Concert: Hawkwind - a birthday present from my brother, who is still obsessed with them 30 years on.

First Horror: Rosemary's Baby - the first time my parents went out without getting a babysitter in.

First Computer Game: Deathworld V on my Commodore PET.

First gig: Green Day in 95

First Book: Catcher In The Rye

First Computer Game: Super Monaco GP for the Megadrive

First Single: Daughter by Pearl Jam

First Album: Pocket Full Of Kryptonite by The Spin Doctors

First Film At Cinema: Bambi as a child, and with mates was Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves

First gig: Motorhead, Marquee 1977 (Mick Farren came on for a couple of numbers, seen here)

First (adult) Book: Homage To Catalonia, George Orwell.

First, and only, Computer Game: TOCA Touring Cars on PS1

First Single: Jeepster/Hot Love, Marc Bolan.

First Album: Led Zeppelin 1.

First Film At Cinema: Where Eagles Dare, from what I can remember but I'm told it was ChittyX2 BangX2.

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    ChittyX2 BangX2.
    You sir, are inspired.

Cor lumme Guv'nor Oi 'ad nah oideeare!
    Dick Van, my least favourite Dyke.

First gig Hawkwind or Steve Hillage around 1979

First film saw lots of old cowboy films at the local cinema on sunday lunchtimes when I was about 11 with my brother and his friend

First album best of the Moody Blues

First adult book possibly Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - although have always bought books and first book was probably Heidi when I was about 7

First time I swore I can remember getting told off for lots of things but not swearing so I suspect it might have been okay to swear at home .. I remember swearing at a freinds mum when I was 16 and being shocked at being told off by my freind!

first computer game a DOS version of D&D - when there were only DOS games!

First comedian either Ken Dodd in panto as a kid or as an adult the awesome John Cooper Clark in the 80's.
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

first gig... it was red hot chilli peppers or perl jam. i know i went to them both in one summer, im not sure wich was first.

that that was way back when i was 11 and i still love the peppers

i wish i could remember the first album i bought... it was probably crap tho..
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

The first grown up book I read was The Happy Hooker. I found it hidden away in a cupboard in my parents' room, so I knew it had to be good.

ahh..sluggie, that made me chuckle
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Default Re: What was your first movie, gig, stand-up, video game etc?

First cinema was Bedknobs and Broomsticks.
    As a teenager my trendy aunt took me to The Goodbye Girl (in Ireland they did special cut versions of X films so teenagers could go - was gutted cos my parents wouldn't let us see Saturday Night Fever there even though it was cut).
    My first X film was Christiane F, I think I was about 15 and was very proud I'd managed to get in and wasn't 18!

First computer game I ever played was Space Invaders in colour on a pub table machine at a friends b/f's house. Later my b/f got an Atari and we played lots of great games on there.

First gig? I was shocked to realise I'm not too sure. I was a late starter and think it may have been The Wedding Present.

Can't recall my first play (maybe The Vortex with Rupert Everett, or Rocky Horror) or stand up (maybe Mark Thomas) either. Time to trawl through the ticket stubbs . . .

My first album was Abba's Waterloo.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

The first cinema visit I remember well was animated 1970s Robin Hood. I think there was one earlier occurrence (live action), but I don't think anyone can tell me which film that would have been.

The first (and last) ballet was Nutcracker.

I'm not sure which decade I was on my first gig, let alone more detail.

Saucer Attack is the first video game I played. It's basically a simplified Space Invaders.

The first album I bought for myself was Dr. Alban's second release It's My Life.
    Last edited by citameht; Apr 14th, 2012 at 12:56 AM.

Wow, zombie thread!

I'm not 100% per cent sure about my first movie. I'm fairly sure that it was either Star Wars or E.T. I do remember watching both on betamax though! Nobody younger than thirty is going to know what that is.

My first proper gig was seeing Therapy? in the Point in Dublin in 1994 - terrific gig by a band who were at the peak of their powers at the time. One of Fyfe's last gigs with them too...

I think my first movie (at the cinema) was the Adams family

Video game was super mario for the NES (those were the days).

First gig was Roger Daltrey preform Tommy. First CD was In Utero by Nirvana. First LP record I brought was Days of Future Passed by The Moody Blues!
    "Life is life Ė whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for manís own advantage."