Thread: Superfoods

Thumbs up Superfoods may replace medicine

Superfoods may replace medicine

www.thecouriermail.news.com.au 28oct04

RICE to treat brain damage, macadamia nuts instead of morphine -- superfoods are being identified to treat complex disorders and replace synthetic medicines, according to a Sydney scientist.

Head of the Australian Centre of Neuropsychotherapy Rod Markam, said the husk of brown rice was being investigated for use in treating obsessive-compulsive disorder along with brain injuries.

"Inosital, found in the skin of brown rice is a vitamin B substitute injected into damaged rat brains ( ) and it has been showed to regrow brain cells," Mr Markham said. "It may be used in the future to treat acquired brain injury and also for brain health generally."

Mr Markam said synthetically modified drug therapies, many with dangerous side effects, would begin to be replaced.

"The future of medicine will be found in superfoods provided to us from the ground.

"We will eventually be largely vegetarian because we will have realised the health benefits."

Mr Markham's research has already identified the potato as a possible replacement for anti-depressant drugs, because it boosts serotonin levels.

He has uncovered the macadamia nut as a powerful natural analgesic and a WD40 equivalent for joint pain.

Alpha Lipoic acid found in peas, spinach, broccoli, and tomatoes is currently available by prescription in Germany, where it is approved for the treatment of diabetic and alcoholic neuropathies and alcoholic liver disease.

Ellagic acid in strawberries, red raspberries and blueberries helps maintain healthy cells and has been targeted as a possible chemopreventative agent for brain cells.

Mr Markham said scientists were still discovering the healing properties of foods.

"We don't know all the foods available yet.

"The highest vitamin C of any substance on the planet, 50 times that of citrus fruit, has just been found in an Aboriginal bush plum.

"We are only just scratching the surface.

"The rainforests in Brazil and Australia may hide many more secrets," he said.

An extract in a fern re-discovered in North Queensland this week could help fight Alzheimer's disease.

Vegan times are changing.

Superfoods? These are normal foods! Why does this sound like the beginning of a mainstream return to natural therapies and the abandonment of the "isolate the active compound" mentality. It's about time that we were looking at a more holistic approach to medicine - but I guess since it would be hard to patent a healthy diet - where's the money for the big corporations?...
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

VeganJohn

Default 14 'superfoods' that make you live longer......

I just found this link! What do you all think? All but 3 items are vegan.

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/home...s/musteatfoods

Default Re: 14 'superfoods' that make you live longer......

It's not the list of 'superfoods' I would have expected. I'm interested to know how they believe turkey strengthens the immune system?

Default Re: 14 'superfoods' that make you live longer......

In my not so humble opinion, I think this is ploy to sell a book (or a magazine, etc) There was a time that the blueberry was not thought of as a super food, just a fruit. Perhaps carrots will be the new super-food in 10 years (wait a minute - wasn't the carrot the super-food of the 70's? I can't remember them all.)

I was a waitress years ago and remember people thinking that consuming olive oil, red wine, Perrier water and margarine would somehow make them healthier.

Default Re: Superfoods

Here is another article that somewhat dispells the myth of the superfood.
    Read about it here.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

"Super Foods", which basically describes non-processed fruits and vegetables that are dense in phyto(or plant)-nutrients, are real and there are ways to turn them into a profitable en devour without harsh chemical extraction. Just check out Boku Super Food.

IMO, if we simply (pun intended) eat whole foods, we will be healthier. Our immune systems will be stronger for it. We will be avoiding the toxins and chemicals in processed foods, and gaining the nutrients inside the whole grains and fresh produce.

There is always a lot of hype about how a certain food is the best thing for us, then we should avoid it, then maybe it is good again. It is hard to wade through all of the media reports. One thing that rings true with me is to eat as simply and cleanly as possible, and eat things that don't have a long list of ingredients. Preferably food that has one item on the ingredients list, like FRUIT and VEGETABLES.

My rule is that if a young child reader can't sound out the words in the ingredient list, I am not buying it. I am not perfect, and there are times that I veer away from this, but I am making it my mission to stay as close to a whole foods diet as possible. And no, I don't mean Whole Foods, necessarily. Just whole foods.

The only way I will know if it worked is if I can be around to tell someone about it when I am in my nineties or beyond.
    My grandmother is 91 and is in good health, other than hearing loss. She has always eaten from a garden, her home canning, and the perimeter of the grocery store, as a rule. I want what she's having, minus the meat.

Absolutely!

But let's face it, eating fresh and whole fruits and vegetables - compared to the "Standard American Diet" (appropriately abbreviated SAD), that is SUPER FOOD, and for the average person, not something that s/he would normally and freely eat (unfortunately).

Let's not forget, one of those "5 servings a day" of fruit and vegetable that the average American eats in a day, is typically French Fries fried in oil.

Best regards,
    Andy

Very true !

Quote Andy_T View Post
    Let's not forget, one of those "5 servings a day" of fruit and vegetable that the average American eats in a day, is typically French Fries fried in oil.
    Sad, but true. Even I eat French fries once a month or so, but I usually stick to the whole foods thing.

I'm. Not. Perfect.