Thread: International Free Hug Day! 7/7/7

Default International Free Hug Day! 7/7/7

To me veganism is about compassion...so....I'm posting this here...hope that's okay!

Scientific research suggests that hugging helps to alleviate depression and stress...lowering blood pressure and improving the function of the immune system and the heart. Hugging raises self-esteem, relieves pain,lessens the chance of senility in people age 70+ and has a positive effect on IQ development in children.

AND...there are no negative side-effects and it is FREE!

You can organize your own Free Hug Day event or come along to mine in Oban on saturday.....

I don't know how many of you know about the 'Free Hugs Campaign' (you can google them)...have a peek at this:

The Free Hugs video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

(I love it!)

Faerie Hugs
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

cobweb

Default Re: International Free Hug Day! 7/7/7

that's nice.............how does it go down in Oban?

I believe hugs are essential and ensure that everyone in my house (human or otherwise) have plenty each day

Quote cobweb View Post
    that's nice.............how does it go down in Oban?
    Do you mean the hugging?

Hug on everyone!
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

cobweb

^ yes, the hugging! - are people receptive to this idea?

Thumbs up Re: International Free Hug Day! 7/7/7

Quote cobweb View Post
    ^ yes, the hugging! - are people receptive to this idea?
    Well....Oban is a tourist-filled paradise at this time of year...so...whether the locals are feeling huggable or not I'm sure someone will want a free hug.

I'm taking my mother along, just to be sure!

She's volunteered to hand out the leaflets but I know she's thinking about doing the hugging too....she's the huggable sort, my mum is....and it's her home-town!....so if the other locals are as receptive to the idea as she is then it's going to be a tiring, but awesome, hugfest!

The local constabulary have raised a tolerant eyebrow...

BlackCats

I'm one of these British repressed individuals who hates social hugging (sorry.)
    but I will hug my cats and my husband on 7/7/07

everyday is free hug day when youre around me

all my coworkers get the best of that one.

i love free hugs.

hugs are true touch therapy wich i belive in greatly
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Talking Re: International Free Hug Day! 7/7/7

Ah...Aphrodite....the great thing about social hugging is that people who don't have a spouse/family still get a hug. And since we need so many hugs for growth it helps to get in as many as possible.

I think non-human hugs are valuable...but I don't know what the scientific research says about that kind of hug. Naturally it is not a human hug you give non-humans....so I don't know if the effects would be the same. A bear-type hug....chest to chest, arms wrapped round each other and gently squeezing....well...you can't get that
    from a cat...or can you? Enjoy your hugs!

jjdaiquiri, Yes...everyday is free hug day! That's great! Happy hugging!

"We need 4 hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth" ~ Virginia Satir, Family Therapist

(I'm counting!)

BlackCats

Most days the only other human being I see is my husband so we would have to hug twelve times a day!

I could start going up to strangers on street for hugs I suppose

(I'm really not a hugging person at all - I break the sterotype about women liking to cuddle after sex.)

I think it is such a great idea. I am starved for hugs. I am the sort of person that would hug the postman at the moment. I LOVE HUGS and only really get them from my dogs now. I hug my partner as much as possible but if he is in a bad mood he doesn't hug back. I think hugs are SO important and EVERYONE should have access to unlimited hugs on request!!!

HUGS TO ALL xxx
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    Most days the only other human being I see is my husband so we would have to hug twelve times a day!

(I'm really not a hugging person at all - I break the sterotype about women liking to cuddle after sex.)
    i like hugging someone i like but i HATE hugging strangers/people i don't know very well. it doesn't feel right.

Quote VanillaBean View Post
    I think it is such a great idea. I am starved for hugs. I am the sort of person that would hug the postman at the moment. I LOVE HUGS and only really get them from my dogs now. I hug my partner as much as possible but if he is in a bad mood he doesn't hug back. I think hugs are SO important and EVERYONE should have access to unlimited hugs on request!!!

HUGS TO ALL xxx
    Is there a Free Hug thing happening near you? Go along and grab some freely offered hugs! If there is'nt, why not be the offerer? Hugging benefits both the giver and receiver...

Maybe your postman really, really wants a hug too...it's difficult to ask but I have started sending out 'vibes' and seem to get more and more hugs..or even just those little gestures like a hand touching your arm in a conversation...they all help.

If this saturday goes well I might do it every weekend....

Here's a hug from me...as real as I can make it feel---> (((Squeeeeeeze)))

Quote Aphrodite View Post

It's do-able! (hugging one person 12 times a day)

As for hugging strangers on the street...I'm not going to stop at 12...(assuming I had that many people wanting one)...

Sometimes the people who are most wary of hugs are those who 'need' them the most. Ah..and bear in mind that in many parts of the globe it is the lack of social hugging (and kissing) that would make one appear 'different'.

Anyway.....whatever! Hugging is optional! I suppose Free Hugs Day is mostly about ensuring that everyone who wants a hug (or more hugs) can get it. And...for me personally I am trying to raise awareness of the benefits of hugging. I like to keep my posts fairly short (Sorta )....so I did'nt include the scientific stuff...but it's worth looking for if you have the time. If a person can successfully alleviate depression,stress,stomach ulcers,pain etc. without allopathic medicines that is surely a fantastic thing for veganism generally. Hugging is 100% vegan organic!

nervine

haha, I might hang out a sign, my party is that day. Its really a shame that peope very rarely hug here in belgium

Well....put down you sign of protest and pick up your Free Hugs sign of revolution! Yay!!

BlackCats

Heartsease - I took your advice and hugged my husband when he came in from work today - he smiled at me suspiciously and asked me what I wanted from him? He said I don't normally hug him unless I have ulterior motive!

Thumbs up Re: International Free Hug Day! 7/7/7

Oh...stop it! You're making me all emotional

Actually...come to think of it...you could sorta say you DID have an ulterior motive....trying to make it to 12 at the least, I woulda thought.

BlackCats

I could say to him my ulterior motive was trying to 'successfully alleviate depression,stress,stomach ulcers,pain etc. without allopathic medicines'
    But that would just confuse him

nervine

i really really want a hug now

cobweb

(((hug))) ^

Quote nervine View Post
    i really really want a hug now
    (((:::*HUG*::))

I feel grrrrrrrreat!!!!!

Saturday is going to awesome! Iyll take my digicam with me and maybe share some piccies with you guys?

Anyone know how to do that?

Aphrodite ~ yep...sounds like your husband was confused enough already.... but he DID smile...so already you have raised his levels of oxytocin...ooh....one hug for man...one huge hormonal revolution for humankind. (Don't quote me...I'm getting a bit silly now!)

cobweb

Heartsease I love you - even your avatar picture raises my oxytocin levels

BlackCats

CW we are so similiar! I was thinking how lovely Heartsease sounds and how I would probably ignore my hatred of social hugging if I met her.
    I was just reading Heartsease's threads and thinking how interesting she sounds!

Heartsease - Wow a bear I would love to meet one, or an elephant or tiger/lion - anything really (in wild).

Nervine- why don't you ask one of your five women to hug you (just joking please don't take offence)

cobweb

*cue twilight zone music* - yes, we are so similar! - actually i came back here to suggest that Nervine asks one of his (too) many women to hug him!

nervine

Quote cobweb View Post
    *cue twilight zone music* - yes, we are so similar! - actually i came back here to suggest that Nervine asks one of his (too) many women to hug him!
    please don't keep bringing that up, i already miss my girl enough as it is.. and no, no offense taken, just annoyed

BlackCats

Sorry Nervine just joking seriously, sorry to annoy you.

cobweb

Quote nervine View Post
    please don't keep bringing that up, i already miss my girl enough as it is.. and no, no offense taken, just annoyed

aww

Quote VanillaBean View Post
    I am starved for hugs. I am the sort of person that would hug the postman at the moment. I LOVE HUGS and only really get them from my dogs now. I hug my partner as much as possible but if he is in a bad mood he doesn't hug back.
    Ahhh...I'd give you a hug, VanillaBean. I'm always hugging people!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote cobweb View Post
    Heartsease I love you - even your avatar picture raises my oxytocin levels
    My son took that piccie. Strange.....that piccie seems to have a funny effect on people.....this nyce guy e-mailed me once after seeing my picture saying it almost moved him to tears! I must've been thinking faerie nyce things in that piccie or something.

Aphrodite ~ Yeah... that bear...wow...I feel very fortunate....thanks for saying you might ignore your hatred of social hugging if you met me. Well...who knows...could happen....

Nervine....I'm missing someone too. It probably does'nt make you feel any better but you are not alone in feeling like you do. I hope you get some nyce hugs at your party.

Nyce that my piccie raises your oxytocin levels Cobweb....Oh....better go...think I have something in my eye.....

Smile Re: International Free Hug Day! 7/7/7

I'm back from the hugfest now! It was soooo cool. I did get some piccies ...if anyone wants to see....but I forgot to explain how the camera worked (to my photograhic volunteer) and we missed most of the best shots! The Pipe Band turned up (coincidentally) towards the end...and so did the rain. But it was a very huggy day.

cobweb

glad it went well, Heartsease did you cheer lots of people up?

Oh, so that explains the girl that was standing at the bottom of Grafton Street yesterday with a sign that said 'Free Hugs'.

To be honest, I would have humoured her but had been walking around town for 3 hours and was rather sweaty at that point - figured I would spare her the agony...

BlackCats

Glad it went well Heartsease
    x

nervine

i got lots of hugs from BAMBAMBAM. the guy who played the last set of the night he's awsome

Smile Re: International Free Hug Day! 7/7/7

Quote cobweb View Post
    glad it went well, Heartsease did you cheer lots of people up?
    I think so,yes! Even those who could'nt cope with the idea of hugging started smiling.

There were a few bizarre moments...one woman thought my sign said 'FREE HOUSE'?!? And another woman thought it said 'FREE DRUGS''!

I'm trying to upload some piccies to photobucket...but my computer is going reaaaaaaaaaally slowly. Mayhap will return later with a link.

Quote nervine View Post
    i got lots of hugs from BAMBAMBAM. the guy who played the last set of the night he's awsome
    Didya get some hugs for me?

I would like to hug each and every one of you because I love you all my fellow vegans *huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggg* (You guys are all going, "get off urggghhhhhhh*
    Silent but deadly :p

sugarmouse

My birthday too!

it was your birthday???

belated birthday hugs for the mouse of sugar!!

xx

(p. s - loved your ranty list)
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I got a free hug yesterday from a stranger when I was feeling upset. It did make me feel better, until he started groping me. It's hard to restore your faith in humanity when things like that keep happening to you .

It only took me days to upload the piccies to photobucket....not that there's many, mind....it just took a humungus length of time. The piccies don't do the day much justice..I got like a zillion (grope-free) hugs....including a wee doggie hug and some kiddie hugs and some old hugs and some very big tall hugs and some ....yeah...you get the picture!

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/b...he_Hug_Faerie/

BlackCats

It looks like you had fun

Quote Enchantress View Post
    I got a free hug yesterday from a stranger when I was feeling upset. It did make me feel better, until he started groping me. It's hard to restore your faith in humanity when things like that keep happening to you .
    Umm. Eww. Sorry your hug was less than desirable. I'd probably freak if a random stranger ended up groping me.

I love hugs and all, but it's been a while since I've actually received one. I give them out all the time, but it's not quite the same as getting them.

I agree Imported Memory. It's better to give them than to have none, but I would love to be given them frequently too! I hope you get some real ones but here's a virtual one for you!
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot