Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If you had kids, would they follow a vegan lifestyle?

Default Re: If you had kids, would they follow a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle?

That's a great attitude to have Orange-powered...............I really think if a child is raised vegan they will remain vegan. There would be something decidedly 'strange' about anyone who would start to eat animals after never having done so!
    I know if my children started eating meat now after all these years I would think they had a split-personality.

Fortunately my 24 year old son is a vegan I was a meat eater when he was young then a vegetarian so he's been all three but ultimately chose to be a vegan.
    If I had a baby it would be brought up both vegan and pagan. What it chose to do after leaving home would up to him/her but I would hope that if I instilled these values with love and happy memories he or she would wish to carry on living that way.
    Whatever their choice ultimately our household would always be an animal product free zone.
    Silent but deadly :p

They are my sentiments exactly Hemlock....................I love the way you put that......'If I instilled these values with love and happy memories'....... that's brilliant!

Like Hemlock, if I were to have children they would be raised vegan and pagan. When they go out into the wide world and live their own lives they can do what they like, but my house will always be pagan and always be vegan. Hopefully their upbringing would keep them with a vegan mindset throughout their lives!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Hypothetically speaking id raise my children vegan but it would be up to them what they ate when i wasnt providing the food. Id probably get them wearing well fitting shoes and take them out and about lots and do everything i possibly could to make them feel confident, fulfilled people.... everything a parent does with their child is a choice and has an impact on their health and understanding of the world. I think its fine to teach children an alternative to the status quo (cause they sure get that rammed down their necks in every other direction) but you have to give them all the facts, explain it all very clearly to them and allow them to make the final choices, or they can end up feeling isolated and alienated from others and in the end they might wind up resenting the alternative.
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

when i do have kids (a LONG time from now) i will raise them on a vegan diet.

i wish i was raised vegan. but i come from a family of meat eaters.
    it's amazing how only 2 years ago i was stuffing my face with flesh. (i know, ew. to my defense, i was only 12)

but i finally got a brain and opened my eyes.
    my parents disagree completely, but they can just shove it
    The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

I would definitely raise any potential children vegan! I believe in it is so completely for health reasons, animal rights issues, and environmental sustainability; that it would be hypocritical of me to do otherwise. In my experience most young children don’t want to be responsible for the death of animals, therefore if they are raised vegan and made to see why I am doing so, they would naturally want to remain that way. I would not condemn my children for any adolescent indiscretions concerning their diet, but if they chose to become omnivores as adults, I would be very disappointed, and possibly even disown them. (I don’t care if that’s over the top! I would just be so dismayed that I’d raised such an inconsiderate child. I realise in reality disowning your child because of what they eat is not normal, and wouldn’t recommend anyone else to do so.)
    I also strongly believe in adoption, this way you are not responsible for overpopulating the earth, or creating a potential non-vegan. I do however understand the want to have your own child, and do not have issues with people that do so.
    Live honourably by becoming what you pretend to be. - Socrates

This made me think of dialogue from the movie 'About A Boy'

-Mum, did you always know I was going to be a vegetarian?
    -Yeah, of course I did. I didn't decide on the spur of the moment 'cause we ran out of sausages.
    -Did you ask me if I wanted to be a vegetarian?
    -What, when you were born?...I do the cooking and I don't want to cook meat...You have to eat what I eat.
    -But you don't let me go to McDonald's, either.
    -Is this premature teenage rebellion?...I can't stop you from going to McDonald's...I'd just be disappointed if you did.
    -Don't worry, Mum. I won't go to McDonald's.

He questions his mum for 'pushing' her diet upon him, but in the end he knows what's right!
    Live honourably by becoming what you pretend to be. - Socrates

I'll never have kids but hypothetically I would raise them vegan. My house will always be vegan and I will never spend a dime of my money supporting the torture and exploitation of animals. What they did once they moved out of my house would be their own decision. But like others here have said, I really can't see a child who has been raised vegan and taught the reasons why wanting to eat things that they've been taught are not food.

I also don't see how feeding a child one diet over another is "pushing" them into that diet. How many parents feed their kids a constant diet of McDonalds and frozen chicken nugget dinners? And no one ever questions these people about the health of their kids diets. But as soon as someone feeds their kids a diet of fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains and beans but leaves out the meat and dairy they're suddenly child abusers. :/

I do respect my own ethics and beliefs as an individual before I parent. That means that I will not cook or purchase alcohol or recreational drugs or animal products or coffee for my children or my wife. My wife, on the other hand, will get her own alcohol and coffee, etc.

Within that realm, I give my children as much love and support in exploring as much freedom as they can at all times. That means that if my kid really wants to go outside with no coat into the snow, I let him, but also try and support him and love him through all of it. Thus, I bring him a coat just in case, and I help him put it on when he wants to wear it.

I have told all his caregivers that my son is being raised vegan, but that doesn't mean he doesn't essentially have a choice. My son, at 4yo, knows that veganism is an ethical choice. He knows he has access to animal products even at his age. So far, he's only eaten one M&M and one other non-vegan candy on Halloween, by choice, ever. And my kid is a candy freak.

I don't intend to run an authoritarian household, but I do intend to help him make his own ethical decisions. I feel that veganism is a strong enough ethical way of life on its own without my needing to force it. Give a choice, some loving, and support, I am confident he'll continue to choose it on his own.
    context is everything

When I have children they will be vegan from start but as I have a non-vegan partner (and prbably will only ever have a non-vegan partner) we have agreed that when they become of an age when they can think and know what is happening themselves (around 5 years old I imagine) that if they wish to consume non-vegan foods than I will have to grin and bare it. Thankfully we both despise fast food indestries (he has gone as far as saying he will puch them in the face everytime our child(ren) looks at one but I know what he is getting at ) so that is of no concern. We both love our coffee (I have fresh organic fair-traid with organic sugar while he has any kind of fresh he fancies with non-organic sugar) but it's our choice we have that. I also enjoy green tea without sugar as it should be drunk .
    I really would prefer if they stayed vegan (when I do have children in about 4 or so years) but I realise that that may not happen.
    I eat well and hope my eating habits will rub off on the children I have and not that of my current partners (if I have children with him) as his is shameful with not much fruit or veg .
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

Hello crazy 4 veg, it's great that you will be raising your children as vegans and I imagine that by the time they get to 5 or 6 (if told all the facts about non-vegan food) they will choose to remain vegan.
    I myself would find it very hard to accept if my two children decided to be non-vegan now, as the main aspect of it for me is not the 'health' side but the 'cruelty to animals' side. I would therefore be devastated if they decided to eat animal products again.
    Your children will be very lucky being able to start their lives off in a way that doesn't involve cruelty to others...........I'm sure they will thank you for it when they get to an age of realization.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

cherrywisp

Quote TazG View Post
    If you had kids, would you push them into living a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle?

it's not like giving them meat is unhealthy.

1. Meat is unhealthy. I'm not even going to get into it because there are enough studies done by more educated people than I, that will show you that meat is unhealthy.

2. If I'm the only one preparing the meals, I'm going to prepare what I think is healthiest for my family and best for their quality of life. Vegan = best, in my opinion. It would be just like avoiding junk food to me. Why would I buy my children inordinate amounts of junk food? Just because they were addicted to it because of the sugars and chemicals in it? No way. I'm going to avoid having my children get addicted to the same nasty foods that everyone else is eating and ruining their lives with. If they choose to eat it, they'll buy it with their own money on their own time, just like anything else that's really unhealthy like cigarettes or alcohol.

I feel that people are eating way too much meat and dairy anyway...at every meal. It would be like feeding my kids hormones and antibiotics at every meal. Ew.

Quote sandra View Post
    Hello crazy 4 veg, it's great that you will be raising your children as vegans and I imagine that by the time they get to 5 or 6 (if told all the facts about non-vegan food) they will choose to remain vegan.
    I myself would find it very hard to accept if my two children decided to be non-vegan now, as the main aspect of it for me is not the 'health' side but the 'cruelty to animals' side. I would therefore be devastated if they decided to eat animal products again.
    Your children will be very lucky being able to start their lives off in a way that doesn't involve cruelty to others...........I'm sure they will thank you for it when they get to an age of realization.
    I am hoping that my children will chose vegan because of the facts that I give them. I am a huge animal lover (I have mice at the moment but had to put one down the other week due to cancer. We did operate on her the first time but it was to visious and came back with vengance. I cryed most of the day but it was more humane than leaving her like it as it would have killed her by now due to the size and the stain her body was under as it was starting to impare her ) and I hope my children will see the hypocrisy (sp?) of people calling themselves animal lovers and continuing to eat them . I'm very strict in my buying of items that are not food (toothpaste, deoderant, hair products etc all have to be vegan) I do however have a few items of clothing that are not vegan (such as a leather coat I've had for a long time and a pair of shoes that must be on their 4th or 5th year now/before I even went veggie) but I will wear them either down completely or if I can get the money give what I can to charity/friends/family so they can continue to be used and not add to more of the trade and buy myself the vegan equivelents (like I would love to do now). I believe that if the animal has died the skin should be used for as long as it is still usable and therefore cutting down the trade aswell as making sure the product got all use it could as the animal died for it (my BF has an at least 2nd hand coat that was in near perfect condition and bought it at a charity shop for £25 which suited him as he wanted one and did not add to the trade). I'm not condoning the use of animal skin or any other by product (as I said I am very strict in what I buy) but if people can help lower the amount of trade doing this that would be brilliant.

By the way cherrywisp I agree about meat being bad for people. I wish to become a dietition and am at college so I can get the qualifications needed to do this at uni (unfortunatly I have to miss out a few lessons here and there as they use animal tissues, insects etc in experiments and I refuse to be in the room when these are done as I feel physically sick). I'm hoping that I will be able to do dietetics at uni and I am thinking of doing my final project already as an indepth study (probably a reveiw of other studies done mind) into the effects of eating meats and dairy items (including eggs) and other animal byproducts (gelatine etc). I think it will be an interesting project to do .
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

EcoTribalVegan

I would raise my children vegan as well. If they are in my home, eating my food, using my energy (only in that I pay for them) they would have to live with it (that's if they didn't want to). I'd obviously inform them as to why I do. Because when they're out of the house it will be up to them to make the compassionate decision.

My husband and I worry from time-to-time about raising kids vegan. We want them to see it our way, but we're afraid that if they know too much about the cruelty animals are subjected to, it may scar them.

I was adopted as an infant and was told about that fact long before I could really even process it. When I was seven, there was a presidential election (Clinton vs Bush vs Perot), and abortion was discussed. I didn't understand it, so I asked my very pro-(human-)life Mormon mom to explain. She went on to tell me what an abortion is, how it is performed, and that my biological mother wanted me aborted but Indiana law required, whereas she was a minor, parental consent which she was unable to obtain. I was shocked, mortified, and utterly damaged by this. It took me until I was 17 to not start crying whenever I even heard the word "abortion" and I refused to speak to anybody whom I knew had undergone the procedure. Though I've come a long way, I'm still recovering from that trauma. It is this experience that worries me about letting children know the truth about what humans do unto non-humans too early on.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

So in which case just raise them on a vegan diet and slowly and gradually explain to them as they get older. " We don't eat cows because we love them." Kinda thing!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

My partner, with whom there is a distinct possibility I will still be with by the time I want to have children, is not vegan, nor vegetarian. he's also not entirely convinced that veganism is healthy, although he thinks vegetarianism is ok (I know, I know...).

Because I this, i've given a fair bit of thought to what we'd do with our potential children, because i know he wouldn't want them to be brought up vegan.

However, I will not cook meat, and I would prefer not to use dairy and eggs etc. The conclusion I came to was that anything I cooked them would at the very least be lacto-ovo, but whatever 'daddy' cooked them could be whatever.

I think we'd just have to explain to them that mummy and daddy like different things - and would have to explain carefully so as not to demonise daddy for his stupid diet. Hopefully, once they got to an age where they could choose, they would like mummy's diet better and we could all gang up on daddy

amanda

Default Re: If you had kids, would they follow a vegan lifestyle?

flying plum I think there are studies showing that keeping children off certain foods for at least the first year of their life (incl dairy and eggs) significantly reduces the chance of eczema, asthma, allergies and food intolerances - so do look into it further when the time comes!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

littlewinker

they would be vegan until they realized they were different, and if they chose to eat meat or whatever it would be their choice.

People criticized my mum and dad for making me be veggie but until kids are a certain age, about 3 or something it's entirely the parents choice anyway, whatever you do you're making your kids do it, meat or not. Im so glad I've never eaten an animal, but I would have liked to of been vegan, it would make me feel pure.

My paretns never forced me to be veggie, it was always my choice and when I went round friends/families houses on my own I noticed that the adults would often try to tempt, trick or force me into eating meat, as a kind of test to see if I was forced into it.

But as I wasn't forced, I developed my own mind and opinions and I think that's important.

So mine would be vegan (providing i could breastfeed) and I would give them unbiased truthful reasons why they was, so they could make informed decisions about their lifestyle.

Moonharvester

Me and my girlfriend have argued over this one, but I think we are going to settle with strict vegetarian kids. (on the health side of the issue) I dont want them to suffer because of their eating habits.

cobweb

Quote Moonharvester View Post
    Me and my girlfriend have argued over this one, but I think we are going to settle with strict vegetarian kids. (on the health side of the issue) I dont want them to suffer because of their eating habits.

why would they suffer?. Don't you feel that their health might suffer through consuming unnecessary and unhealthy dairy products?.

Moonharvester

I meant that they would get sick from not being vegans

cobweb

oh, i get you now! - so why not insist they be raised as vegans?.

I'd probably just only cook vegan food for them, it'd be their choice if they wanted to eat other stuff with friends etc etc , but I would educate them too about veganism and hopefully would follow in my path ..
    Might depend on who I'm with though ..
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

cobweb

difficult, maybe she'll read more on the subject and change her mind though. We raised our son as veggie but he made his mind up to go vegan when he was 8 years old (he's nearly 11 now) and is very happy with his own decision.
    i wish he'd never had any animal derived substances though.

I'm not planning to have children but I would raise them vegan if I did - if they want to eat dairy/meat/fish when they leave home that is their choice. But until that time I would have to do what I think is best for them - I don't believe that an omni diet is healthy or ethical.

Default Re: Children?

I would 100% raise my children (if i had any) vegan, i feel that being vegan has opened my eyes to what i put into my body and helped me to know the effect it has on me. After becoming a vegan i have stopped getting heataches, stomach cramp, i had very low energy and my eyes were really sensitive. Since becoming vegan all my problems have gone (it must be my vegan lifestyle as i havnt changed anything else) also my teeth have become much stronger and whiter and i also no longer get nasty morning breath which i used to get occasionally

It is important to get children into good eating habits and as we know meat is a bad eating habit. I love animals and would want my children to respect them and by that i mean off the dinner plates and in the wild. I wouldnt want my kids to experiance the health issues (above paragraph) i had when i was not vegan

So yeah Vegan all the way!

My children will be 100% vegan. When I'm done with college and living with roommates, I refuse to keep animal products in my own house. I will never cook or fed animals/ animal products for my children.

If I value my body enough to eat a vegan diet, why would I deny my children the same benfits? I also think they deserve to learn the values/ ethics around food, animal rights, etc.

I suppose that once they go off to school, they can eat what they want. By then I hope by then they will have made up their minds to be vegan and sustain it. I hope by that time, there will be more vegan options and vegan education so they won't have to feel "different".
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

How old is old enough to make that decision? I don't have much experience with children and as for myself I think I may have been a bit delayed.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Quote Haniska View Post
    How old is old enough to make that decision?
    not sure... I suppose once they are at school and offered nonvegan food, its up to them to choose if they eat it.

Ultimately, I hope the ethics I teach them, the food I provide them, and the education they will have will keep them vegan. Basically, I hope my children would continue veganism after my role as a parent is no longer influential. I suppose that was around 9-10 y.o. for me; my parents didn't influence my food or eating starting around that age.

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    My children will be 100% vegan. When I'm done with college and living with roommates, I refuse to keep animal products in my own house. I will never cook or fed animals/ animal products for my children.

If I value my body enough to eat a vegan diet, why would I deny my children the same benfits? I also think they deserve to learn the values/ ethics around food, animal rights, etc.

I suppose that once they go off to school, they can eat what they want. By then I hope by then they will have made up their minds to be vegan and sustain it. I hope by that time, there will be more vegan options and vegan education so they won't have to feel "different".
    +1

Quote Astrid View Post
    +1
    yay! cant wait for our kids to live great lifestyles and eating habits!
    and the benefits our society will have with such educated and respectful children

Since we want to adopt at least one of our children, we worry about converting a pre-contaminated kid. (I'm terrible! I know!) They can be obstinate little buggers, as I've read in a few peoples' accounts elsewhere.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

If we dream of a vegan world (we do, don´t we?) it goes without saying that we ought to put it into practice with our own lives. It´d make no sense otherwise

My boyfriend and I have been talking about this quite a bit lately. We are both vegan and have every intention of raising any children that we will have vegan. We will be very clear on how we feel and the ethics behind our decision, but I want to be careful not to tell them that people who are not vegan are bad people (for one, I don't believe this is true, and I also do not want my small children viewing their extended family as bad people). I am also worried about them getting the impression that I will think they are a bad person if they choose later in life not to be vegan. But anyway, I will raise my children vegan, and even if while still under my roof they decide to not be vegan, only vegan food will be allowed in my house.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote Mila View Post
    Since we want to adopt at least one of our children, we worry about converting a pre-contaminated kid. (I'm terrible! I know!) They can be obstinate little buggers, as I've read in a few peoples' accounts elsewhere.
    Your "pre-contaminted" comment made me smile. In my experience, kids are very easy to convert to veganism if they are exposed to it before the age of 10. They somehow just 'get it." It's the older "buggers" that are more difficult.

cobweb

i think that's true, sponge - because really it is so simple to grasp (e.g we love animals so we don't eat them or bits made from them, and we don't wear their skin either) that it makes perfect sense to young children who are open.

edge of sanity

I guess this post is kinda aimed at currently-childless vegans, but the situation in our household is that I have been vegan for 3.5 months and we already have a 3 & 5 year old.

My husband is willing to eat anything I cook, and I do not cook meat for him. It is harder to figure out the line where the kids are concerned. My son has autism and only eats a handful of foodstuffs due to sensory issues and my daughter has suffered a limited diet by following him even though we try to offer a wide range. (She eats much more variety when she is somewhere her brother isn't around).

So far they have noticed that mummy doesn't eat chocolate or ice-cream or bacon or cheese and she has 'funny' milk (soya) - each time I am asked why not I just say I prefer xyz (whatever I'm eating) and say how it's healthy. I would like to explain in simple terms but my husband is against it because my son eats so little already. My daughter already is starting to piece it together herself and I'm just waiting patiently for the penny to drop (she actually asked if 'this chicken is made out of the chicken on big barn farm?' and my husband shot me a look that said NOT NOW and I left it).

Any tips?

It's not that my husband doesn't agree with my position, but we are both worried about my son's diet and so right now I am trying to subtley lead by example.

cobweb

good luck!. My son has Aspergers and has LOTS of food issues. He's been vegan for more than 2 years and actually i have found he's more inclined to try new things since going vegan (he was veggie before this).

If you'd like any support, PM me. My son loves veggie sausages and fish-style fingers, vegan ice-cream, most types of potato, and will eat cereal with soya milk. He really wouldn't be eating any wider a range of foods if he were an omnivore or plain old veggie so at least his restricted regime is all free of animal nasties, that's the consolation.

*hugs*

cobweb

p.s - as i'm sure know your son will want the truth sooner rather than later, if he's like my son he won't thank you for lying about anything! .

me and partner plan on rasing our kids vegan(when the time comes for kids).
    his words where if they want eat non vegan foods they can when they are old enough to move out.
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/

My wife and I are expecting a baby boy any day now and yes, without a doubt we will raise him vegan. If breast feeding doesnt work were stuffed though, soya formula looks awful.

cobweb

but breast feeding will work, don't worry!. I didn't even buy a bottle as i didn't want it to be an option. I read up on the subject and found lots of little tips and it all went swimmingly.
    Good luck with it all!.

Quote Mila View Post
    My adopted brother and sister were once meat eaters but are now veggies. It isn't that hard when they are young.

This is a sensitive one for me right now. My 11 year old daughter is vegan in my care (half the week) and vegetarian in her dad's care. She's a very compassionate kid and has started asking lots of questions about the dairy industry. I never know how 'raw' to be in my explanations because she gets really upset and says she feels bad for eating dairy at her dads. He's told her that he thinks a vegan diet is not healthy for a child, so given that I can't do anything about that, I don't want to make her feel bad. She also says she loves cheese filled pasta too much to be vegan!

I'm at peace with the situation (ok, sort of!), but find it difficult when trying to balance giving her honest answers and not making her feel bad about what she eats when she's with her dad. I also don't like saying anything negative about her dad's opinions...even when faced with 'Dad says vegan eating isn't healthy' (this is despite the fact that she eats a lot of frozen crap at her dads!).

Sigh. Not the perfect situation.
    In her satin tights.....fighting for your rights.....

Dylan Mulenburg

Actually, meat IS unhealthy. Anyway, I would have them be vegan. Should it be their choice? No. Why? Don't they have the right to choose? They have the right to choose what they do if it affects themselves only. Not many people would let their kids go shoot other humans, even if they wouldn't get caught, because it's wrong. Well, so is killing animals. If they don't want to be vegan, they buy the non-vegan stuff with their own money and don't eat it in my house. I will not support non-veganism (nor will I marry a non-vegan). Period.

Can anyone tell me a little about how your child/children feel about being vegan - how much do they focus on it and how does it affect them?
    Do you demand that other parents (when they visit friends or go to birthday parties) and caretakers (such as grandparents) only serve vegan food to your child/children?
    Do you experience critique from doctors and other caretakers?

I ask because I am very worried about the social part of raising vegan children, since I meet a lot of prejudice and often feel ostracized as a vegan.

My adult daughter is vegan. My 13yo is omni and I leave it up to her, but I do not buy non-vegan food, so she has to buy it herself or eat it at her dad's.

I am a long way away from having kids (I can't even say if I want any), but the idea of adopting a child several years from now is something that I would consider.

Does anyone know if being a vegan and planning to raise the child vegan becomes an issue with the adoption agency? Do they consider it a health hazard?