Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If you had kids, would they follow a vegan lifestyle?

Default Re: If you had kids, would they follow a vegan lifestyle?

Can anyone tell me a little about how your child/children feel about being vegan - how much do they focus on it and how does it affect them?
    Hi,

If anything, I think my 7 year old is proud of it...

Do you demand that other parents (when they visit friends or go to birthday parties) and caretakers (such as grandparents) only serve vegan food to your child/children?
    'Demand?'... Since I wouldn't have been giving eg. meat to a someone's vegetarian child if I was a meat eater (or bacon to a Muslim child), I expect them to. I also find it natural that they do, just like I wouldn't have been giving meat to someone else's vegan child if I would have been a meat eater. Most people understand this without a problem.

Do you experience critique from doctors and other caretakers?
    Never. Not from doctors (not that he has been sick), dentists (he never had any holes), from kindergarten, friends, school or family. Not one single time.

Since some people have a tendency to be 'unknownists', and blame all sorts of issues on the element in a situation they don't know much about, maybe I would if he wouldn't have been a healthy, happy guy - but no. On the contrary, I think vegan children serve as a good examples for others - and show that kids don't need animal products - except, of course, the extremely few cases that has gotten media coverage because some people assume that if a vegan child is ill, it's because he doesn't eat animal products/because they don't understand that there unfortunately will be some non-vegan and vegan kids that are raised by parents not knowing anything about nutrition, or are too ignorant to take care of their children, like the story about the 'vegan' mother who one morning over breakfast, "suddenly looked at her daughter and realised things weren't right. When Lizzie smiled, Paige suddenly noticed her upper front teeth were pitted with holes." The daughter with holes in her teeth got a lot of press coverage, my son with no holes in his hasn't got any.

It must be kind of embarrassing to use holes in your kids teeth as a way to document that vegan can't be healthy, both because there are sites out there about the same person explaining about all the milk she used, because it's kind of strange to 'suddenly' find out that your child's teeth were 'pitted with holes' (where were they looking during all the previous meals?), and because there are so many healthy vegan children out there without the problems eg. this woman try to blame on vegan diet.

Does anyone know if being a vegan and planning to raise the child vegan becomes an issue with the adoption agency? Do they consider it a health hazard?
    I don't see why they would (except for the above mentioned 'unknownism', which I choose not to worry about), but if I would have attempted to adopt kids and heard such comments, I'd just have showed them stuff like this:

http://www.dietitians.ca/news/downlo...sition2000.pdf (Position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada: Vegetarian diets).

Or show them this thread, about all the nutrient deficiencies among non-vegans. Or a thread about the links between animal products and cancer, and ask if they consider feeding children with a diet that's so often associated with arthritis, diabetes, cancer, heart disease and all sorts of other problems less of a 'health hazard'.

Do they consider it a health hazard?
    I don't see why they would; if they know something about nutrition...

They should rather consider not feeding their kids a proper diet free from all those products that so often as linked with various serious health problems as health hazard.

It's rather ironic; an average person living on a non-vegan diet is ill 7-10 years of his life, according to various studies. The main founder of the vegan movement became 95, was trekking in the mountains until he was 92, never took any medicine, and many people eat vegan for health reasons alone, but still: some people are more worried about the health aspects of vegan food than a standard diet - a diet that even the most conservative health authorities are trying to influence in the direction of less meat and animal fats, more plants (read: more antioxidants, more fiber, less cholesterol, more phyto-chemicals and folate etc.).... they assume meat and dairy is necessary in spite of the existence of millions healthy people who don't use these products.

seitan

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    not sure... I suppose once they are at school and offered nonvegan food, its up to them to choose if they eat it.

Ultimately, I hope the ethics I teach them, the food I provide them, and the education they will have will keep them vegan. Basically, I hope my children would continue veganism after my role as a parent is no longer influential. I suppose that was around 9-10 y.o. for me; my parents didn't influence my food or eating starting around that age.
    i think, kids brought up the right way (im never going down that route, ive been snipped) will pretty much stick with what is right, to go the opposite way, would mean they were being assholes, and theyd know that.
    now, some kids will rebel, theres no question of that ( i did, but luckily my rebelling was to refuse to eat meat), but i think (again, if theyve been taught right) they will always get back on the right path.

as someone already said, if they chose to eat meat, dairy etc, theres not alot you can do about it, but certainly dont encourage them by letting them eat it at home.

ive had many debates on other vegan forums about this. people seem to think that its cool to have kids because they will grow up to become awesome vegan warriors. that is a gamble, a gamble with animal lives. i could not forgive myself if my offspring grew up to kill animals.

seitan

Quote Mila View Post
    Since we want to adopt at least one of our children, we worry about converting a pre-contaminated kid. (I'm terrible! I know!) They can be obstinate little buggers, as I've read in a few peoples' accounts elsewhere.
    adaoption is the way to go, thanks

seitan

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    My boyfriend and I have been talking about this quite a bit lately. We are both vegan and have every intention of raising any children that we will have vegan. We will be very clear on how we feel and the ethics behind our decision, but I want to be careful not to tell them that people who are not vegan are bad people (for one, I don't believe this is true, and I also do not want my small children viewing their extended family as bad people). I am also worried about them getting the impression that I will think they are a bad person if they choose later in life not to be vegan. But anyway, I will raise my children vegan, and even if while still under my roof they decide to not be vegan, only vegan food will be allowed in my house.
    these people (meat eaters) may not be bad people as such, but they do something that is really bad.

its harad, if you dont make kids see how bad/wrong killing and eating animals is, are they really going to understand why not to partake in it?
    its really tricky, just glad ill never have to deal with my possible failure.

seitan

Quote cobweb View Post
    good luck!. My son has Aspergers and has LOTS of food issues. He's been vegan for more than 2 years and actually i have found he's more inclined to try new things since going vegan (he was veggie before this).
    im sorry i dotn know what this condition is, but this is a prime example of how done correctly, kids (even with eating conditions) can be vegan.

i admire you greatly cobweb

seitan

Quote Wonderwoman View Post
    This is a sensitive one for me right now. My 11 year old daughter is vegan in my care (half the week) and vegetarian in her dad's care. She's a very compassionate kid and has started asking lots of questions about the dairy industry. I never know how 'raw' to be in my explanations because she gets really upset and says she feels bad for eating dairy at her dads. He's told her that he thinks a vegan diet is not healthy for a child, so given that I can't do anything about that, I don't want to make her feel bad. She also says she loves cheese filled pasta too much to be vegan!

I'm at peace with the situation (ok, sort of!), but find it difficult when trying to balance giving her honest answers and not making her feel bad about what she eats when she's with her dad. I also don't like saying anything negative about her dad's opinions...even when faced with 'Dad says vegan eating isn't healthy' (this is despite the fact that she eats a lot of frozen crap at her dads!).

Sigh. Not the perfect situation.
    that is a difficult situation, as shes being told different things by the people she most looks up to.
    you say you dont want to make her feel bad (whihc i understand) but the consequence of that is animals dieing.

Quote Wonderwoman View Post
    I also don't like saying anything negative about her dad's opinions.
    Why not? He's being negative about your veganism and if he's saying "Vegan eating isn't healthy" then we all know that isn't true.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

Quote matt35mm View Post
    I am a long way away from having kids (I can't even say if I want any), but the idea of adopting a child several years from now is something that I would consider.

Does anyone know if being a vegan and planning to raise the child vegan becomes an issue with the adoption agency? Do they consider it a health hazard?
    In England you have to lie...even about being a vegetarian.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I would definately want to raise my kids vegan, no question! Only problem I have is my current boyfriend is omni and when we had this conversation he said he would NOT raise his child vegan but may compromise to raise them veggie. This may be a big problem for us if we stay together and have kids as I cant imagine ever compromising on my beliefs!!

If you had kids, would they follow a vegan lifestyle?

I do, and she does.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Talking Re: If you had kids, would they follow a vegan lifestyle?

Hi Everybody,

I am new to this site and this is my first posting.

I have two sons, Jaob 12yrs and Noah 8yrs. They were brought up vegetarian and both decided to become vegan about three years ago.

I always hoped that they would choose a cruelty free life but felt that they should reach the decision on their own. I felt that this was important so that they were confident in their choices.

If I had enforced a vegan diet on them they may have struggled more with the usual schoolground comments and negativity. As it is they made a fully informed decision and have total conviction in their choices.

Reading some of the threads in the vegan forum it makes me chuckle but also feel a little bit sad that mature and supposedly intelligent meat-eaters trot out the same narrow minded comments as school children.

X

Nice first post (welcome to the forum by the way)
    I agree with what you have said and i follow the same path. I know there are plenty of vegans who would be annoyed some how that my children where not vegan, (even though they drink soya milk, eat 95% vegan food etc) but they try there hardest, they make there own choices and have never eaten meat. I am proud of them for that alone.

Thumbs up Re: If you had kids, would they follow a vegan lifestyle?

I brought my sons up to be vegan, my husband and I believing it was the best start for them and let them decide when they got older. My 18 yr old is now having bit of a rebellion but doesn't moan when I still cook vegan, 1 of his favorite meals is still stirfry tofu and noodles. My 16 yr old is quite strictly sticking to a veggie diet and avoids dairy 95% of the time.
    Its not as good a result as I would have wished but alot better than it could have been. Still time for them to go vegan again but I believe I need to let them make up their own minds.
    Awaywithefairies

RubyDuby

i'm surprised they didnt stay vegan, but i think you're right.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote Flying fairy View Post
    I would definately want to raise my kids vegan, no question! Only problem I have is my current boyfriend is omni and when we had this conversation he said he would NOT raise his child vegan but may compromise to raise them veggie. This may be a big problem for us if we stay together and have kids as I cant imagine ever compromising on my beliefs!!

dump him.

[YOUTUBE]teJSFIYczhQ[/YOUTUBE]

What a great advertisement for the vegan way of life. It is perfect proof that we don't need to use our fellow mammals for a food source.
    Awaywithefairies

Great vid, Korn. Oh, how I envy that woman! I'm sure her parents are in much better health than mine...
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

I also regret not becoming vegan sooner so that I could start my kids off on the right path. They are now 10, 8, and 6, with my step kids being 14 and 16 and it's very hard. I have 2 children with ADHD and they are strickly off all dairy, gluten, atrificial colors, and sugar so it's hard enough finding them food. My husband and I plan on having another child within a year or so and that child will be brought up vegan.

Hi- If I were to have kids (a big if) then I would def want to raise them vegan.

I had this chat with my B/f not long ago (who is veggie) and asked him what he thought and he said he did not know but could see no prob with feeding them dairy and meat!!! As you can imagine I clearly explained that was not only unhealthy but highly unethical! I think he settled for veggie kids- but as I am the only one who cooks- they would only be eating my nice yummy vegan food anyway!
    BB
    To you it's food; To them it's life

Windfall

YES! why would i raise them in any way that i know wouldnt be the best for their wellbeing?

Quote Flying fairy View Post
    Same here! My bf and I have spoken about this even though we're not sure we want to have kids. I want to raise children vegan, he doesn't think we should, esp. if they're boys, that made me laugh because it's such a stereotype that veg*ns are weak. He also compared it to religion, which is silly because we're both (non-practising) Catholics and we don't hate our parents for having us Christened, it's just what they did. And Veganism is so much more than a religion, it's a way of life and helps the child learn compassion etc.

If we do decide to I will be using what I have read online and from the book Raising Vegan Children to try and convince him it is the best thing we can do for their health. I do all the cooking and shopping, apart from his and I can't see him preparing meals for kids either.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I have a little vegan 5 year old who although proud to be vegan is going through a bit of a stage of telling she doesn't want to be vegan anymore! However when I tell her she can eat cheese and meat if she wants to she finds the idea repulsive (I knew she would which is why I said it :smile. Hubby is a meat eater but he wants our daughter to be vegan and goes to great lengths to get her favourite vegan foods for her.
    Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!

i don't want children but hypothetically there's no way i would raise them any other way than vegan. i also wouldn't want to have children with a non-vegan so there would be no potential conflict of beliefs on the subject. the problems the hypothetical child would face as a vegan though is one of the MANY reasons why i don't want to have children in the first place though.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

If I had kids, I'd bring them up vegan/veggie. I'd like to say 100% vegan but my boyfriend is vegetarian (wants to be vegan) and I don't think toddlers would understand why they couldn't have things that their dad was allowed to. That said, there is no way in hell I would give a very young child cow's milk.

When they were old enough to understand, I'd find a way of talking them through the ethics.

If they wanted to eat meat at school lunches/parties etc, there's not a lot I could do about it. Their decision. I wouldn't cook meat at home if they asked for it, but I would let them decide what they did want for dinner as long as it was veggie (something I wish my parents had done a lot more when I was a kid- I HATED most of our dinners). I think that's a good compromise.

It worries me though that if we did bring up vegetarian kids, my boyfriend's mum would feed them non-vegetarian foods. If they were vegan, I can say without a shred of doubt she would try to sneak them eggs and dairy- even if they didn't ask for it- because she considers eggs and dairy very healthy. When we've discussed kids in front of her, she's been very quizzical about what I'd feed our kids, stating "you can't deprive kids of what they want"- suggesting that if a kid wants a sausage or haribo, they should be allowed to have it.

Guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it!

My husband and I discussed how we finacially planned to have children the other day. He said "The other thing, I know you are vegan and everything, but I want you to talk to the doctor or whatever, to make sure our kid can get what it needs. Because F a cow when it comes to our kid."
    I hope that comes acrossed as sweet as it did to me.
    While I like that he thinks I am so kind hearted that I would put my life down for an animal, I told it to him straight. I told him that I might not talk to a doctor but I would absolutely speak to a dietician or nutritionist if that made him comfortable. I need to let him know that the reccomendations are for vitamins and not certain foods, I'm not sure I got that acrossed since I know that he knows that already...but it stands restating.

Anyway, who has a pamphlet that says "During your pregnancy you need extra iron. These foods contain iron:______" If you are chosing vegetarian sources be sure to combine them with foods rich in vitamin C." etc. Something offical made for all people but not specifically geared towards vegans.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Some nutritionists know very little about vegan nutrition.

If you meet one who doesn't (he/she probably won't admit it), this information may be useful:

Nutrient deficiencies more common in meat eaters than in vegans

American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada: Vegetarian diets
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

if/when i have kids, I'll raise them vegan. Without a doubt.
    Life is about having to change ... Taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

cobweb

actually the title of this thread annoys me greatly when i see it on the forum, i can't believe it's a serious issue for vegans planning to raise children...........why would a vegan NOT raise their future child(ren) vegan? .

I don't think it is really an issue for most vegans unless they have a non-vegan partner against it - I think the title is a reflection on the original poster, who I would hesitate to guarantee was actually vegan, despite what they said
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

cobweb

Quote twinkle View Post
    I don't think it is really an issue for most vegans unless they have a non-vegan partner against it - I think the title is a reflection on the original poster, who I would hesitate to guarantee was actually vegan, despite what they said
    aha!
    you did a little research, thanks Twinkle
    it just kind of repeatedly gets my hackles up when i see the thread title, it's as though we as vegans are questioning our own diet/lifestyles

Quote cobweb View Post
    actually the title of this thread annoys me greatly when i see it on the forum, i can't believe it's a serious issue for vegans planning to raise children...........why would a vegan NOT raise their future child(ren) vegan? .
    Yeah. And since I am already vegan now, not in a current relationship, and I do plan to have child(ren) (at least one, I don't know if only one or more than one), future relationships I would plan with that in mind - and I would probably want to date an open-minded vegan or open-minded veggie, hopefully find someone compatible. Because that certainly seems like a less complicated way to go, provided that the individual doesn't complicate your life severely in other ways.

louise_12345

Yes. Vegan unless they actively choose otherwise.

Of course, me and my fiance are both vegan, and wouldn't dream of raising our kids any other way (although we don;t have any yet). We've both always wanted to live in Brighton, and have decided that when we are starting a family, we definately won';t be doing it in crawley (where the word vegan is seldom understood) but in Brighton instead, where we hope our child won't be the only vegan in the class...

I like this thread. It's certainly an open discussion as to whether to bring kids up vegan. And like it or not, it's certainly an open question in the real world of having kids.

As a new parent you get more hassle being vegan than you ever did before, and doubly so if one parent isn't vegan. So vegan parents need a lot of support, as it's a key time they may turn away from being vegan even themselves, especially if we're all hard-edged and no compromises about it.

Children are people. They need to be taught responsibility and compassion. To learn these they need an element of choice, as well as plenty of facts and calm discussions, with compassion and understanding shown to them, as well as clear and open expectations of caring and contributive behaviour from them.

Our two have been vegan from birth, given plenty of vegan info, and we've made an effort to meet other vegan families and go to vegan events so there are places they can feel normal. They go to a primary school in the real world, which we feel is good for their education to - to mix with everyone. Feeling normal is a huge need, as is feeling special, which being vegan can contribute to if you know why you are doing it and it's your choice.

Our kids are allowed to eat what they like at friends houses and with their own pocket money. So far they've chosen to be vegan, with a few lazy-unintentional slip-ups. In some ways they've made us stricter - as they refuse to use animal tested soap in school, which I would have let pass.

We give help and support to other parents trying to feed our kids, especially at parties, nad take it on the chin that some parents will be reticent about inviting them.

If and probably when our kids experiment with non-vegan and maybe even non-veggie food, maybe we'll never find out. It's their business. I would be upset I admit. But as long as they know the responsibility is our own for the suffering and damage caused by what we do, I really don't believe they'll experiment for long. They are kind people.

However willpower and willingness to stand alone is something that some of us have more of than others. Some kids will find it harder than others to be vegan or even vegetarian, just like some adults do. And for all of us, there are always more things we could do to lead better lives, but we don't.

To have a supportive and non-judgemental vegan community is the best thing we can do to help. The Vegan Forum is a great basis for that.

As a parent of two young girls, I applaud SophieFP's answer!! I'm a new vegan, my husband and girls are still omni. I won't force them into veganism, but I won't buy non-vegan anything any more, plus I'm the family cook . Luckily, my husband is supportive, but not everyone is that lucky...The best thing is that my girls have never liked eating meat, so not only am I saving animals, I'm preventing waste by not having to throw away as much food as I used to do with them. As much as I want all of them (okay, the world actually) to go vegan, it's not going to happen as soon as I'd like, so I will be a positive vegan influence in the meantime.

I've said before that I'd raise my kids vegan. My OH is not vegan and unlikely to be, although he has agreed for the kids to be raised as such, possibly problems will arise in relation to this in the future, but out of the two of us I am the one who cooks and I'm the obsessive planner and he is the spontaneous/ laid back one so hopefully it all works out ok as I will have it all organised and he can just go along with it :P!

I'm thoroughly hoping that when I find a girl I'd be willing to have kids with, that she's also a vegan It would make it much easier when you see eye to eye I wouldn't force my kids into being vegan, but while they're too young to make a real decision for themselves, that's how they'd be brought up. I figure if they're raised on that diet, with parents who are also vegan, that they would probably follow it the rest of their lives. The only reason most kids are omnis today is because their parents/grandparents, and friends all eat meat. After all the years as an omni, it's just considered normal.

IMO, most of you are the reason that people think Vegans are nuts. Comparing meat to drugs? Completely two different things. No I don't think meat is the best diet. My brother eats meat and is extremely healthy. Changing someones profile to not Vegan yet, because they would feed their kids eggs? No wonder why people think Vegans are crazy.
    And to answer this question. I would raise mine Vegan if I ever had one, but once they didn't live in my house they could choose what they wanted, I'm not going to force my beliefs on anyone, but if someone asks I'm happy to explain them.

leedsveg

Quote Nicki View Post
    IMO, most of you are the reason that people think Vegans are nuts.
    Hi Nicki and welcome to the forum.

I'm not quite sure I understand you. Is there one particular thing that the majority of posters on this thread are saying that you (and omnis) find strange, if so what is it? Not saying you're wrong, just that I don't understand.

Good wishes

Leedsveg

Yeah, what's with the profile change? I agree with you for raising kids Nicki. You can't force anyone to do anything... But I figure if a child grows up on a plant-based diet, and has learned about the suffering of animals, they'll be much less likely to take up meat eating. Heck, how many of us became vegan without the influence of vegan/vegetarian friends or family?

RubyDuby

I'm confused too... I know there are vegans on this forum with non-vegan children. Whose profile was changed because of that?? I'm sure that isn't why?
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

It's been a while - I'm not sure anyone will remember the details of that particular incident.

I have a healthy 3 year old girl who's been vegan since birth. I haven't had many issues really apart from people asking me often if it's hard, so far it's absolutely fine. My daughter was premature and there were a few issues then with a midwive who wanted to stick her on some dairy formula so she would add weight quicker, but she was corrected by her own staff in the end.

leedsveg

Quote harpy View Post
    It's been a while - I'm not sure anyone will remember the details of that particular incident.
    If it's in the past, I'm quite happy for it to remain there. Hardly now likely to give any passing omnis apoplexy, I would imagine.

leedsveg

We were at a party last night and there were two children there, one a two month year old baby and the other a two year old toddler. Both were really cute but the toddler kept offering me pizza and didn't understand why I wouldn't eat it. It made me realise that in the not too distant future we will have children and they will have to make the same choices and tell the other kids why they don't want to eat that pizza. It would be hard, but I would never have second thoughts about raising a child vegan!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

^ I think at two they would just say they don't like it and it would be a perfectly acceptable reason, I doubt any two year olds will want to start the 'but what if you were on a desert island' argument.

I was thinking more like when they were abit older TBH.

Well, my point still stands really, people don't expect in depth answers to everything from young people, not until they're old enough to put forward a decent argument by which time... they're old enough to put forward a decent argument.

If you say so Risker! I clearly remember being asked indepth questions about my sexuality, my diet and my music taste from a young age by other young people. If that didn't happen to you, then you were lucky enough not to stand out from the crowd.