Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: If you had kids, would they follow a vegan lifestyle?

cobweb

Default Re: If you had kids, would they follow a vegan lifestyle?

My son was grilled by his friend's parents over my veganism when he was 6 years old!. Fortunately he had most of the answers. It did lead to me falling out with the other mother though. At the time my son was vegetarian. He went vegan when he was 7, through his own choice, and continued to be interrogated, mostly by adults who really should know better. Whilst I think it's very wrong for an adult to do this to a child (I spoke to every adult that did it and told them to refer any questions to ME!), my son was educated enough to be able to answer 99% of the questions by himself (he wouldn't have gone vegan had he not understood why).

BTW, I wish I had raised my son completely vegan from the offset. Unfortunately, after being vegan myself for 4 years before he was born, I reverted back to vegetarianism - for reasons I'm not completely clear on now . So he was raised vegetarian, but not because I think its 'wrong' to raise a child as vegan. I won't be having more children, but if I did, they would (of course) be raised vegan from birth. I went back to veganism when my son was 5 and as I say, he soon followed suit .

Quote Risker View Post
    Well, my point still stands really, people don't expect in depth answers to everything from young people, not until they're old enough to put forward a decent argument by which time... they're old enough to put forward a decent argument.
    well i do find the answers really interesting to hear also when its about small children. when you go to a party, bring your child to daycare or just being faced with opinions from others or grandma's slippng bits of sausage to their grandchildren. i have a 3 year old and she cant come up with any arguments yet, but there are many challenges also at that age, just on a different level. id love to hear about other peoples experiences on here as well with little kids

Quote cobweb View Post
    My son was grilled by his friend's parents over my veganism when he was 6 years old!. Fortunately he had most of the answers. It did lead to me falling out with the other mother though. At the time my son was vegetarian. He went vegan when he was 7, through his own choice, and continued to be interrogated, mostly by adults who really should know better. Whilst I think it's very wrong for an adult to do this to a child (I spoke to every adult that did it and told them to refer any questions to ME!), my son was educated enough to be able to answer 99% of the questions by himself (he wouldn't have gone vegan had he not understood why).

BTW, I wish I had raised my son completely vegan from the offset. Unfortunately, after being vegan myself for 4 years before he was born, I reverted back to vegetarianism - for reasons I'm not completely clear on now . So he was raised vegetarian, but not because I think its 'wrong' to raise a child as vegan. I won't be having more children, but if I did, they would (of course) be raised vegan from birth. I went back to veganism when my son was 5 and as I say, he soon followed suit .
    I would be furious if someone tried to pull that crap with my kid... It would be like going at their kid for attending church every sunday.

cobweb

Quote Back-Space View Post
    I would be furious if someone tried to pull that crap with my kid... It would be like going at their kid for attending church every sunday.
    oh I WAS furious, it was awful. They took him to McDonalds on the way home from an outing and proceeded to interrogate him about everything, even asking about my make-up!!. My son held it together but when he got home he cried his eyes out. That was the last time I ever let them take him out .

Quote cobweb View Post
    oh I WAS furious, it was awful. They took him to McDonalds on the way home from an outing and proceeded to interrogate him about everything, even asking about my make-up!!. My son held it together but when he got home he cried his eyes out. That was the last time I ever let them take him out .
    It's nice how accepting of other peoples beliefs everyone is. You say you don't want to contribute to the death and suffering of animals, and somehow that's not a good enough answer?

I would raise mine Vegan, unless i marry a chef who isn't vegan, in that case if i can't get my way and raise them vegan he can do all the cooking

but I doubt that will be the case, i'll be the one in charge of the food and the rest of the family can eat it or cook their own.

Its amazing how little people know about nutrition, they assume that your baby will be malnourished, being vegan for a short time so far and slowly having my opinion about the nutrition of animal products, I can't fathom ever giving of them to a small child.

& I love the point about how choosing veganism for yourself + consequently your kids is no different to raising an omni child, I look forward to the day when i can explain about all the bad disgusting food my child will be "missing out on". I'd love t be able to turn someone like that, because no one wants to hurt their childrens health on purpose (well no sane person)

as well as that when kids are younger they usually have a real affinity for animals, like someone said before they don't want them to be dead or injured, so i guess another benefit to raising a vegan child would be that when they do find out that people eat meat I would hope they feel weird about people eating meat that it's not right, when you grow up without being subjected to the thousands of years of tradition of eating meat you'd be able to see how absurd it is.
    http://youandmesydney.blogspot.com/