Thread: I'm feeling drawn to Canada... are there many vegans in Canada?

Default I'm feeling drawn to Canada... are there many vegans in Canada?

I'm feeling drawn to Canada...are there many vegans in Canada?

I know a few vegans who live in various parts of Canada and I've read that various parts of Canada is populated with vegans and vegetarians. Is this true and if so, how many are there? I don't need an exact precise number, but I'd like to know if there are as many countless vegans as I've been told and have read. I've been enthralled with and intriqued by and drawn to Canada since I was 10, but I never made a strong effort to head in that direction. I'm originally from L.A., California and currently residing in Hell North Central Florida and in addition to getting way above the Mason Dixon Line and moving further up north, Canada is really calling out to me. Watching Michael Moore's "Sicko" definitely added to my intrigue and strong desire to head in the direction of beautiful Canada. Please share your thoughts. Thank you.

Default Re: I'm feeling drawn to Canada... are there many vegans in Canada?

I'm from Niagara Falls, Ontario and I am a vegan.
    I honestly don't know any other vegans in my city [however I do know many vegetarians], but I know that in the next city (St. Catharines), there are quite a few. Our area has a huge population of 'indie kids', young musicians who, from the sounds of it, are most often vegan.

I just love Canada, I used to leave near Montreal. There are many vegans in Canada as well as nearby upstate NY.

Quote Cup'O'Tea View Post
    I'm from Niagara Falls, Ontario and I am a vegan.
    I honestly don't know any other vegans in my city [however I do know many vegetarians], but I know that in the next city (St. Catharines), there are quite a few. Our area has a huge population of 'indie kids', young musicians who, from the sounds of it, are most often vegan.
    Hey, Cup'O'Tea, I'm from St.Catharine's, while i don't know any other vegans in the area, i can say that the city is defiantly "vegan friendly" with plenty of nutrition shops and restaurants that offer veggie and vegan choices, not to mention it is nicknamed "the garden city".

Quote Beancakes View Post
    Hey, Cup'O'Tea, I'm from St.Catharine's, while i don't know any other vegans in the area, i can say that the city is defiantly "vegan friendly" with plenty of nutrition shops and restaurants that offer veggie and vegan choices, not to mention it is nicknamed "the garden city".
    Right, I completely forgot it was nicknamed that. Haha, it suits it nicely! And I'm glad to meet a local on here

At times I do wish I had a vegan pal to go to St. Catharines with, just to chow down on a variety of tasty food. In Niagara Falls, we have Sahara (a new Mediterranean fast food-type place which has the city hooked on Falafel rolls and Shawarma), as well as Second Bowl (a vietnamese restaurant with hundreds of soups and stir-fry combinations, although I find their stir-fries are too greasy). Aside from those, I have yet to find a place that's very vegan, or even vegetarian-friendly. My friends are all nerdy guys who play World of Warcraft, listen to metal, and only leave their basements if a trip to Taco Bell or Wendys is in order. In other words, I'm a bit alone here, hah.

I'll be attending Niagara College (Welland Campus) and there's a Pita Pit in my school. Yay!

Quote Cup'O'Tea View Post
    Right, I completely forgot it was nicknamed that. Haha, it suits it nicely! And I'm glad to meet a local on here

At times I do wish I had a vegan pal to go to St. Catharines with, just to chow down on a variety of tasty food. In Niagara Falls, we have Sahara (a new Mediterranean fast food-type place which has the city hooked on Falafel rolls and Shawarma), as well as Second Bowl (a vietnamese restaurant with hundreds of soups and stir-fry combinations, although I find their stir-fries are too greasy). Aside from those, I have yet to find a place that's very vegan, or even vegetarian-friendly. My friends are all nerdy guys who play World of Warcraft, listen to metal, and only leave their basements if a trip to Taco Bell or Wendys is in order. In other words, I'm a bit alone here, hah.

I'll be attending Niagara College (Welland Campus) and there's a Pita Pit in my school. Yay!
    No fair ! I went to that Campus in 04' and there was no Pita Pit Just a Tim Horton's and a place that served greasy pizza.

Those places in the Falls don't sound too bad. I don't drive, but if you are ever going to be in the area send me a pm and maybe we can work something out. As for your World of warcraft buddies, been there, done that, finally broke the addiction a few months ago.

Haha. I'm still a nintendo/guitar hero lover.
    Cool, you went to Niagara too? I start on Tuesday and I'm ecstatic. Studying Graphic Design in ye olde Black Walnut. I'm too cheap for Pita Pit - I'll make it a special treat once every couple of weeks or something. I like bringing my own food everywhere

The bigger cities in Canada - Montreal, Vancouver, and Toronto - are all very veg friendly and have enough good veg restaurants and veg products in grocery stores to suggest that there is a fair number of us and we're growing.

Both Toronto and Vancouver have thriving veg communities with veg resource centres. The Toronto Vegetarian Association also hosts an annual vegetarian food fair which usually brings in around 15,000 people. I volunteer in the resource centre which is open two days a week; we have a lending library and shop and we also do a podcast every Saturday - check it out at www.veg.ca!

EcoTribalVegan

London, ON isn't bad for vegan selection. Most supermarkets have at least some selection of specialty vegan foods. And Zen Garden's and Under the Volcanoe are both excellent restaurants that cater to vegan needs.

As for the number of vegans, I couldn't say. Like the first person to reply to your post, there are many vegetarians I know.

victoria is hugely vegan friendly. me and steev are constantly pissed off because all the grocery stores are out of all the vegan stuff. its hilarious. the vegan stuff is out of stock but all the regular stuff is just sitting there. and theyre all really good at stocking too. like our regular grocery store, stocks everyday. i love victoria.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I live in Toronto now and it's pretty vegan friendly if you know where to look. I live in an Italian suburb right now and I guess Italians don't eat much "organicy"/"natural" foods because I can't find much in terms of natural health products in the supermarkets....unlike other supermarkets.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I live in a small town in the Niagara region. I know a few vegetarians but no other vegans and it is not vege-friendly here. However funky liberal areas like Toronto should have lots of vegans and services that cater to them.

I think Victoria & Vancouver, I have read alot of good things about restaraunts and shops.

Yep, Vancouver is fairly vegan friendly. I haven't been to Victoria since I was a vegan, but I hear it's quite vegan friendly too.

I live in Calgary, Alberta (THE ranching province in Canada) and sometimes feel like the only vegan in town. I've met some vegetarians, but no vegans, and, sadly, quite a few people who were veg but then went back to being omni so they could eat out more often. There are some good health food stores in Calgary, eg. Amaranth, Community Natural Foods and Planet Organic, that have a lot of vegan-friendly stuff. But on campus I basically have a choice between fruit salad or Cliff bars. I am looking forward to moving to a more vegan-friendly city this summer.

Quote kmbgaudeo View Post
    I live in Calgary, Alberta (THE ranching province in Canada) and sometimes feel like the only vegan in town. I've met some vegetarians, but no vegans, and, sadly, quite a few people who were veg but then went back to being omni so they could eat out more often. There are some good health food stores in Calgary, eg. Amaranth, Community Natural Foods and Planet Organic, that have a lot of vegan-friendly stuff. But on campus I basically have a choice between fruit salad or Cliff bars. I am looking forward to moving to a more vegan-friendly city this summer.
    I hear Toronto is very vegan-friendly....
    Check out the Toronto Vegetarian Podcast at veg.ca/tvp !

Hi, I'm planning to visit a friend in Calgary over the summer. My friend's a meat-eater but his semi-vegan girlfriend was over there recently and they found a veggie cafe. I was thinking of joining a walking & camping tour for a couple of weeks when I go out there. What do you think are the chances of me surviving? Is it a bad idea all round?!

semi-vegan? what, veggie then?

P.S. I'm of no use, sorry.

I am sure you'll enjoy Alberta it's a beautiful province. I would just say bring something to eat in your backpack on the tours. I am the only vegan I know.
    You will be able to find vegan products at the markets I find Save on Foods to be the best, Safeway isn't bad but can be expensive. Also there are Natural shops like the ones mentioned before. I've never been to them, I went to one in Edmonton and they had alot of selection but high prices. Hope that helps.

Casper, many thanks for the advice. The company operating the tour assures me that they can cater for vegans. It'll be fun finding out. So, I will be spending pretty much the whole of September in Calgary and the Rockies.

songlife

Thumbs up Re: I'm feeling drawn to Canada... are there many vegans in Canada?

Come to Montreal hun!!! I just moved here from Calgary (I feel your pain) too!! It's easily as vegan friendly as the other major cities in Canada, there are vegan and vegetarian restaurants and organic locally farmed produce and locally made vegan products and health food stores EVERYWHERE. You can even find specifically vegan energy food in little markets that are outside many metro stations. omm nom nom!

My fave place lately is called l'Escalier, that has delish vegan baked goods, raw energy balls, and live music every night.

Though there's this guy I know, a raw vegan named Trav who is starting up a raw catering thing in Calgary. He makes the best raw food I've ever experienced. I hope it does well. Calgary needs it. Do you know who I'm talking about? There are like 5 vegans in the entire city, they tend to know each other.

Hi, there are many vegan restaurants in Toronto; I'm a vegan and I can even find vegan food at my local grocery. Also, in Toronto, on September 5, 6 and 7 there is going to be a massive Vegetarian Food Festival with guest speaker Gene Baur of Farm Sanctuary. I will be there with bells on.

That being said, I personally find that while there is acceptance of veganism in the city to a certain degree, I have encountered nothing but hostility when I've written to our major paper, The Toronto Star, in response to articles they've written about killing animals for food (usually in the food, or believe it or not - the ethics section).

Yesterday I responded to an article by a food writer who bashed her pet bunny to death because she wanted to eat it, and I tell you, I was like the Lone Ranger taking on meat eaters who were so angry and violent towards me it was brutal. But I kept my cool, my sense of humour, and countered every attack in the Star's online forums.

One of the things I'd like to see more of in Toronto is activism. There is hardly any, compared to big cities in the United States, where you also have much better legislation for animals compared to us. We have practically nothing on the books to protect or defend animals, or punish those who commit acts of cruelty.

Mousee!!

hi, whats the low down on the availability of kitchen work for vegans in toronto. i was thinking of packing up my wares in ireland and heading off again to live somewhere more appropriate with regards to work and lifecommitments.

songlife

There are tons of vegan and vegetarian restaurants in Montreal!

Last count, there were 54 veg restaurants in Toronto. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get a job though.

Check out the Toronto Vegetarian Directory for a list! http://veg.ca/content/blogsection/11/114/

(The 2009 edition should be on the web soon - it was launched at our annual vegetarian food fair this weekend.)
    Check out the Toronto Vegetarian Podcast at veg.ca/tvp !