Thread: Going to Sainsburys - please recommend vegan foods to buy

xaaronx

Default Going to Sainsburys - please recommend vegan foods to buy

Please could you recommend me some good vegan foods to buy ready meals, snacks, cakes, cereal etc

..I always end up buying the same things when I go.

- Aaron

Default Re: Going to Sainsburys..

You don't say what you normally buy

I bet I'd end up suggesting the same things you normally get. I usually just look for the vegan symbol and then see if I fancy it, but I do tend to get the frozen indian snacks, the salt and vinegar crisps (2 for £1 pack section), frozen onion rings, their own brand organic baked beans, and the sherbert fruits quite often. Their mango sorbet is nice and the tubs are good for reusing because they have proper lids.

Why don't you check out the Sainsbury's thread? I think there are a lot of ideas of what people normally get in that, although a lot of grumbling about labelling as well

xaaronx

Default Re: Going to Sainsburys..

The frozen indian snacks sound interesting.. what are they and where abouts are they in Sainsburys?

I usually get.. Linda McCartney sausages and country pies, veggie dippers, vanilla soy custard and spicy bean burger.

Default Re: Going to Sainsburys - please recommend vegan foods to buy

They have some interesting breads and mini garlic & corriander nan breads (great toasted), flavoured pittas etc. Some nice flavoured houmous as well. Saw a new dip - Canelli bean and lime I think - which looked vegan but was only marked veggie.

I saw sweet potato falafels in the ready meals section today (party bites area / range) which weren't even marked veggie but appeared to be okay.

Some branches carry the 'Designed not just for vegetarians" range of chilled ready meals of which some are vegan, although not marked (see my post containing list given by customer services in the Sainsburys thread but double check the ingredients as they made a mistake with one - the veg casserole and dumplings one I think - it contains milk).

Also their Vitoria (sp?) cherry tomatoes on the vine are consistently good where I find other shops are hit and miss in terms of tomato sweetness and firmness. Everyone who has tried them at my house has become a convert!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

sainsbury's bombay potato, mushroom or plain pillau rice, onion bhajis and veg samosas are my regular ready made treat. Theyre all really nice. In the indian chilled ready meal section ,

Also I buy sammys pesto couscous. yum.
    free from stem ginger cookies. - hang over from having a coeliac son that we've never been able to break, even though he's now left home.

in freezer section the butternut roasts are very nice for a special occasion.

lots of things you buy too.

I used to mainly shop at asda when omni, but ssince becoming vegan I now shop mainly at sainsburys because of the labelling, and holland and barratt for the stuff I cant get elsewhere.

nicola

Sherbets you say Wonder how I've never found those!

Sainsbo's sell THE BEST mayo, Granovita's Mayola in the free from section (near the Sweet William soya choc bars!)

Their own brand fruit juices are labelled and some are ok, white grape is great.

Oh, and no trip is complete without their own brand After Dinner Mints, 99p a box ;P

oh yes mayola - I buy that too.

also there is a garlic ciabatta ( split lengthways) in the frozen section - with enough garlic on it to blow your head off. I use it as a base for bruschetta, topped with tomatoes and peppers. You dont need much of it to make a meals.

sainsburys have lots of vegan bread products.

I tend to buy burgens soya and linseed bread. I'm addicted to the stuff, and I checked with burgens and they have confirmed that it is definately vegan as are all their breads.

they have really nice long breadsticks with poppy seeds and various herbs, lovely and come in a pack of 6 i think. i also buy their lemon and corriander hummous yum.

they do lots of cauldron foods (not all vegan)... check these out for some quick meals, like falafel or burgers (non of the burgers in my sainsbury's are vegan, but apparantly they do make some varieties which are). they also do own brand nut burgers which are great (a fit on the fatty side for my liking though)

Sainsburys do a great Falafel mix.... it comes in a little tub. costs 2.99 and theres enough to make 70 falafel balls! can be found on the Specialty section usually at the back of the shop.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Some branches carry the 'Designed not just for vegetarians" range of chilled ready meals of which some are vegan, although not marked (see my post containing list given by customer services in the Sainsburys thread but double check the ingredients as they made a mistake with one - the veg casserole and dumplings one I think - it contains milk).
    i looked at the label of their casserole today and the ones in my local shop do now say that it contains milk. they didn't have any vegan ready meals in there today.

the FreeFrom biscuits are nice if you can get them, my favourites are the chocolate chip cookies and the shortcakes.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    the FreeFrom biscuits are nice if you can get them, my favourites are the chocolate chip cookies and the shortcakes.
    They are rather tasty aren't they
    I could so easily eat a whole box in one go if I didn't have willpower LOL

me too

xaaronx

I bought a few new things.

Vegi samosa's and spring rolls, sainsburys spicy bean burger.. thought I'd try them as I always get the good life ones, corn flakes. Also bought some alpro choc milk.. about time they started selling it again, couldn't live much longer without it!! and some oven chips.

BlackCats

I order online but labelling is bit dodgy on net so next Monday I am actually going into a store to see if I can find these freefrom biccies etc.

i love sainsburys as its one of the very few supermarkets that actually labels stuff as vegan... very helpful

if your in the mood for some indulgent junk food then they do a vegan "pot noodle" for 24p (BARGAIN!!!) in Beef&Tomato Flavour (this one is VERY nice) and Chicken&Mushroom Flavour (pretty strong mushroom flavour!). I find that both flavours taste far stronger of the tomato or mushroom rather than of "meat", not that i can remember what meat tastes like lol but you know what i mean...

xaaronx

Oh yeah I forgot about them, I bought a chicken and mushroom ones ages ago.. but the mushroom was really strong and I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms. haha

I'll try the beef and tomato next time I go.

I was there yesterday and bought Sainsbury's vegetable dunkers.............they are lovely, little nuggety things. I also love the beef and tomato pot noodles and I got granovita organic cremovita whipping cream! I can't wait to try it with the strawberries I bought!

i like the dunkers too i wish more of their veggie range was vegan though!

I don't really buy that much from Sainsbury.

Hm...

Mostly I just look in the "Free From" section and see what they've got!

I usually buy that Shortbread stuff...ugh...gluten free too so all is good.

My choices would be different to yours and others as I'm gluten free so my choice is limited.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

i tried those pot noodle type things but they made me feel sick. there's so much salt in them and probably MSG, i'm allergic to MSG i think.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

8p "chicken curry" flavour own brand noodles, plus the 24p pot noodles

25p-ish tortilla chips

3 for £1 tinned legumes(chickpeas, green lentils, pinto beans etc)

59p-ish textured soya protein

aubergine and mixed veg hummus

swedish glace

own-brand toiletries and cleaners(marked as vegan)

daniel field hair dye

original source toiletries
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Oh cool! I didn't know they did Daniel Field stuff
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote DoveInGreyClothing View Post
    own-brand toiletries and cleaners(marked as vegan)
    They are? Where, which ones? Lemme at 'em! I'd heard they were going to label, I just haven't checked lately, still rely on Coop.

That's it, Sainsburys for me tomorrow!

What section are those veggie nuggets in btw? Never seen those.

Blue moon, In the Sainsbury's I go to the veggie nuggets are in the freezer section!
    They are called Vegetable Dunkers and there are 18 in the box.

i'll tell you what though..asda is really crap for vegan stuff. aside form your fruit, veg, rice and all that staple stuff that's obviously vegan..they just don't sell so good chocolate shake or alpro soya chocolate shake anymore..and i know i may have mentioned this before.

our local asda says that they have no control over what they stock..i mean, this is daft..they have a book at the customer service desk into which i respectfully asked for cheezly. i really don't see how hard it can be for them to get hold of stuff and stock it. with a billion trillion versions/sizes of milk..sliced meat..packets of cheese..why is it such a problem to acknowledge that there is a need for non dairy cheese..or whatever.

it really narks me when shop floor people say to me that they can't do anything about what they stock..i know they are the 'little people' and not to be snapped at over this..but they say 'oh, no, we can't do anything about it'..and supermarkets should be bending over backwards to get cheezly in for me ffs...well, obviously they're not gonna be fussed over such a minimal section of the public but..
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Yes, it annoys me too when they stop selling something you liked and when you ask them why they say 'It wasn't selling'...............that's funny because everytime I went to buy some there was only a couple of packets or whatever left so someone must have been buying it!
    I was in Sainsburys on Saturday and me and hubby went to buy some wine. I asked the fella there if any wine was marked suitable for vegans. He said 'I'll go and get so and so' (not exact words but I can't remember his name.........I think so and so was a manager type).
    Anyway, over came this older manager type and I asked again nicely, 'Have you any wine suitable for vegans?'
    He looked at me as if I was insane and said, 'We just sell the wine, I mean I can't recommend wine to you because you are vegetarian or vegan'.
    He actually thought I wanted him to suggest a 'good' wine for me to drink with my vegan meal!
    I had to explain to him what I meant and about the wine-making process (which made me look like some kind of know-it-all) and eventually he understood what I was getting at.
    I mean though for goodness sake, he's working in the alcohol department and he doesn't even know if any of the bottles are marked suitable for vegans.....................I wasn't asking him to do a wine-tasting session for me!

I sometimes wonder what constitutes a "selling" item. Sainsburys ages ago used to sell their own brand vegan soft cheese. They stopped, and when I asked the nearest staff member where it had gone, she said she had had loads of people asking where it had gone!

Ta Sandra, I'm def gonna look for those nuggets

aargh, what an ignoramus, Sandra.

At least the wine chap in our local Waitrose now, whenever he sees me coming, says shiftily, "I must do something about sorting out that list of vegetarian and vegan wines"

Let's hope my chappy adopts the same approach Harpy!

Quote sandra View Post
    Let's hope my chappy adopts the same approach Harpy!
    Constant dripping...

Sainsbury's seeded organic wholemeal rolls make great burger buns. They have seeds all the way through.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i tried those pot noodle type things but they made me feel sick. there's so much salt in them and probably MSG, i'm allergic to MSG i think.

nope no MSG in em theres something addictive in em though cause i'v had one every day this week lol! mmmmm!

as supermarkets go sainsburys is definately amongst the best of a bad bunch.

its impossible (well for me anyway) to always get food from health food shops, and when everyone you know eats meat, sainsburys can be a lifesaver. makes it alot easier when non-vegans are catering for me.

i really really wanna try those vegetable dunkers now mmm hehe

and i hope they get the alcohol labelled soon... might try and take that up with em next time i go!

I know what's addictive for me about those noodle pots Sarah...

kettle on, pour water in, eat