Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Bean Thread

Default The Big Bean Thread

I have black beans and barbeque navy beans cooking. Man, do they smell good! What are your favorites to cook?

My favorites are garbanzo beans, lima Beans, navy beans, and black beans. I am going to cook garbanzo beans after my daughter goes to sleep.

PinkFluffyCloud

Broad beans, fresh out of the pods.

cooked some mung beans t'other night to make kenyan dengu (yum!), mmmmmm mung beans. they smelt strangely like canned marrowfat peas.

chick peas also smell real good cooking

What is Kenyan dengu?

I like the smell of all cooking beans, particularly chickpeas and split peas...mmm dhal - I think I might make split pea dhal tomorrow

I like almost any bean.....great northern beans are great for bean soup, black beans for Cuban black beans and rice, garbanzo beans for hummus or whatever, chili beans for chili.....I've never met a bean I didn't like.....

Black beans cooked, mashed with toasted sesame oil and garlic, spread on flatbread, covered with a peice of nori, add strips of avocado and peppers, roll into vegan 'sushi'.

Chickpeas into hummus.

Blackeyed beans marinated with lemon juice, red onions and spices as a salad.

Chili with navy, kidney and lots of veggies.

Yum- I want supper now!

Quote Banana
    What is Kenyan dengu?

I like the smell of all cooking beans, particularly chickpeas and split peas...mmm dhal - I think I might make split pea dhal tomorrow

i have added the kenyan dengu recipe in the recipe thread

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    Broad beans, fresh out of the pods.
    I forgot about that. I like freshly picked sweet peas, and Indian beans (I am unsure of their proper name.)

Quote cedarblue
    i have added the kenyan dengu recipe in the recipe thread
    Thanx cedar

Default Tina's schezwan green beans

i went to a restaurant and had these, and i copied them as best as i could without knowing the ingredients, and came out with something better (they deep fry theirs and mine taste way better )

ingredients:
    -2 cups frozen green beans
    -1/2 teaspoon tahini
    -1/2 teaspoon ginger puree
    -2 teaspoons garlic powder
    -couple pinches of chili flakes
    -1/4 - 1/2 cup soya sauce (the more you use, the stronger tasting they are)
    -either sesame oil (if you dont care about fat content) or vegetable broth (if you do care about fat content) to fry them.
    -sesame seeds

throw all ingredients into pan over medium heat (using either sesame oil or veggie broth) cook until green beans are fully cooked (roughly ten minutes or so) and liquid is cooked off. sprinkle with sesame seeds, pour into asian looking dish and serve with chopsticks you wouldnt think 1/2 tsp of tahini and ginger would be strong enough for that many beans but it really is. sometimes i might add an extra 1/4 of a teaspoon of tahini. the tahini is very strong.

these are very low in calories and fat, so u can eat tons of them!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Smile Any bean recipes?

Hi everyone!

New strict vegetarian here! I am clueless when it comes to beans. I am currently researching the net for some recipes, but if there are any tried-and-true recipes here, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!!

Default Re: Any bean recipes?

Here are a few:

Your favorite chile recipe - substitute crumbled veggie burgers of any type if you were a meat eater.

Cannellini beans sauteed with virgin olive oil, garlic and sage - salt and pepper optional. Also good with a roasted pepper chopped and mixed in.

Chick peas (also called garbanzo beans) sauteed with onion, celery, carrot, ginger (all finely minced) and a touch of cinnamon, turmeric and cayenne (if you like it hot). Sautee the veggies first, then add the beans and spices. Add veg stock if you don't want oil. Finish with chopped tomato and parsley.

This is an adaptation of Fettuccine Alfonso from "The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook"

2 cups (1 16 oz can) canned white beans (white navy, cannellini, etc)
    2 cups plain nondairy milk (or more)
    2 tablespoons sesame tahini
    1 tablespoon onion powder (or garlic powder)
    1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional) - makes it more "cheesy"
    Salt to taste
    1 pound fettuccine or linguine

While pasta is cooking blend all other ingredients in food processor or blender, then heat in a saucepan. Adjust for thickness and taste. Add soybeans or peas, optional.

Enjoy
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Thanks a bunch, those sound great
    But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

Chickpeas and fava beans are quite nice when served cold in a salad. It perks up a salad and also increases the nutrional value!

Anybody hear of Channa Masala?

Ingredients:
    2 14-oz cans chickpeas (garbanzos),
    1 can 14-oz stewed tomatoes,
    2 small onions (chopped small),
    3 cloves garlic (chopped small),
    2 Tbsp. vegetable oil,
    2 tsp. garam masala powder,
    1 tsp. curry powder,
    1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes,
    1/4 tsp. cumin powder,
    1/4 tsp. turmeric (or your favorite Indian spice combination, about 4 tsp. in all), salt, black pepper

Preparation: Heat the oil on medium in a frying pan, then add the garlic and spices and brown them well. Mix in the onions and cook until softened. In the meantime, drain the tomatoes but reserve the juice, and chop them a little. Add to the pan first the chopped tomatoes, saute slightly, then follow with the drained chickpeas and the reserved tomato liquid. Put in enough water to almost cover the vegetables, stir well and cook until the chickpeas are tender and the masala is no longer soupy. At the end, add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serves 4.
    Serve on top of basmati rice, prepared as follows: put the desired amount of rice (about 1/2 cup for each person) in a pot with twice as much boiling water, cover and reduce heat to low-medium and cook until the rice is tender (lift the cover and check quickly, then cover back up); then leave covered for about 10 more minutes. You could add salt and several saffron strands to the boiling water if you want the rice salty and with a nice yellow hue.

Since I am lazy, I rarely make the basmati rice. Just regular steamed rice.

Thanks!

That looks better than the recipe I have.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Talking Re: Any bean recipes?

Sorry if I offended you by posting that recipe up. I missed that part of your message. I guess I am guilty of skimming...

ileana

Hummus!

juice of a lemon
    tin of chickpeas with water saved
    palmfull of cumin (give or take)
    garlic - about a clove or so
    spoonfull of tahini
    olive oil to taste

Pulverise chickpeas with everything else to the desired consistency. Use the oil and bean water to help thin it out to where you want it. Serve with everything vegans can consume.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

Oh, Ileana, don't be sorry. You didn't offend me! What I meant was your recipe looks better than the recipe I use for Channa Masala. I guess I should have stated that better.

Thanks for the recipes!

I've always wanted to make my own hummus!

That Channa Masala sounds great!

But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy.
    Plutarch (in Moralia)

Default Aduki recipes?

Does anyone know a nice recipe with aduki beans - one you already have tried out?

Default Re: Aduki recipes?

Actually, I had a curry last night which I put aduki beans in. They go great in any curry sauce with other vegetables and chick peas. Or alternatively, they are good just mixed in with some brown rice

Default Re: Aduki recipes?

blue dragon pie.

Boil the aduki beans, then dice and fry an onion in olive oil, add the cooked aduki beans, and a couple of diced carrots. Let this cook for about five mins, then add some tomato purree, soy sauce and mixed herbs. Place in an oven dish and top with mashed potato. Sprinkle some parmazano (or other vegan cheese) on the top and cook for 40 mins 200 c.
    'Never eat more than you can lift' - 'Miss Piggy' :p

Smile Re: Aduki recipes?

Thanks both of you for your quick reply. I´ll try one of them tomorrow already.

FR

I always add soymilk when I make Masala, for a creamy effect. Apparently, some Indian folks add cow cream. I've always wanted to try putting in Silk's soy creamer but haven't gotten around to it quite yet.

I like to make chickpea salad sandwiches by smashing up a tin's worth of chickpeas that have been drained and rinsed, and then adding whatever you would add into tunafish salad (use vegan mayo for the egg'd stuff).

It's extra good on toasted whole wheat bread. Sometimes, instead of putting diced tomatoes in my chickpea salad, I like to put a slice of tomato on one of the sides before closing it up. So good!
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

Thumbs up Re: Any bean recipes?

Bean&bread salad

any amount of beans (white beans, black beans or colourful beans)
    any amount of dark bread, diced
    any amount of onions, chopped
    (beans, bread and onions should be of about the same amount)
    any amount of garlic, finely chopped
    black pepper
    salt
    boil the beans, take them out of water (you can use it for cooking soup) and let them become cold;
    fry onions in some oil, till they become yellow or lightly brown;
    fry the bread a bit, and when it's almost ready, pour the garlic into the same frying pan and keep it there for some moments;
    then mix all the ingredients together in one bowl (boiled beans, fried onions, fried bread, garlic, pepper and salt)

Yummy!

Check out my butterbean and herb cream soup and my dhal

Try this simple recipe for a tasty North African bean soup

Ahhhh...Chickpeas (AKA: Garbanzo Beans). I just discovered them in hummus - good stuff. Now I know why my dad used to eat them straight from the can.
    Here's a dish I made tonight (adapted from: The Teen's Vegetarian Cookbook)

3 1/2 T - Vegetable or Olive Oil
    1 large - onion, finely chopped
    4 cloves - garlic, finely copped
    2 T - fresh ginger root, finely chopped
    2 t - ground cardamom
    1 t - ground coriander
    1/4 t - black pepper
    1/4 t - salt
    1 tomato - chopped
    1 1/2 T - lemon juice (or juice from half a fresh lemon)
    2, 15 oz can - chickpeas (drain, but save liquid)

Saute onion in olive oil, then add garlic and ginger.
    Saute for about two minutes. Add seasonings, then tomatoes and lemon juice. cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
    Add chickpea liquid and simmer for 10 min.
    Add chickpeas and cook for another 10 min.
    Serve with warm flat or pita bread, or over rice.

It was yummy and quite filling.
    Serves about 4
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

I love having bean salads - they are really delicious for lunch. One of my favourites is:
    1 can chickpeas
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    olive oil
    handful fresh parsley, chopped
    tomato wedges

I eat beans every day! I'm a lazy college student so i combine the following in a pan with some olive oil:
    tofu - mashed up or in cubes or however
    leafy greens - i buy a bags of em at the supermarket
    garlic for flavor
    mushrooms or any other veggies
    canned beans - any kind

i'll saute everything together for a while and then add the beans last and saute it a few more minutes. add whatever spices you want. there are really no rules! sometimes i'll wrap it all up in a warm whole wheat tortilla, or make some couscous to go with it. it's delicious and healthy!

"you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

One of my favorites is to fry some small diced red potatoes in olive oil, and when the pots. are soft enough to eat, add some well rinsed black beans or white beans with salt, ground hot chilis (dry or fresh) and plenty of garlic and black pepper. Heat everything until the beans are hot, but don't cook the beans too long as they tend to get kind of dried out in the skillet. For a little more protein, you can also add some small cubes of ex. firm tofu when the pots. are nearly finished cooking, then the beans.
    Sometimes I make a large pan full and use the rest cold for lunches, by itself or with some tortillas taco style.

Default bean & lentil question

Hi everyone,
    I had a question: I tried making, for example, Banana's dhal recipe, but I used mung beans that came in a bad, they were dry. Should I have soaked them overnight before cooking, or Putting them in a rice cooker w/ water is enough? Im sort of new to cooking w/ beans a lot and wasnt sure of soaking dry beans was a normal thing all the time? Thanks
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

Default Re: bean & lentil question

You should really soak everything apart from lentils (and even with those you can soak them if you want). You may be able to get away with cooking small things like mung beans, without soaking, but it will probably take longer. Soaking cuts down cooking time a lot.

Mung beans are fine to use without soaking first.
    Lentils, mung beans and I think split peas are the only ones that don't need to be soaked though. All other dry beans need soaking.

here's a quick FAQ I found by googling 'soaking dried beans'

Thanks guys!
    Be thankful for this moment, this moment is your life:)

I made this up myself. It's super fast and easy to make. I make a big bowl of it and have it for several meals. I love it, but I've never had it tried by my omnivore family & friends. If anyone tries it, let me know if it's as good as I think it is.

Cold Bean & Coucous Salad:
    one can black-eyed peas
    one can black beans
    one can garbonzo beans
    one cup couscous (uncooked)
    4-5 green onions
    white wine vinegar

Cook couscous to package directions substituting white wine vinegar for water. Drain & rise all beans. Slice the green onions as finely as you like. Throw all of it into a bowl, mix, refrigerate covered.
    Yum!

Default good beans news: inositol pentakisphosphate

Default Re: good beans news: inositol pentakisphosphate

Good news for beans!

Bad news for my family and classmates, if you catch my drift!

Seaside

Just soak dried beans in water overnight. Pour off the water before cooking, and you won't have any trouble, I promise!
    Better yet, sprout them for a few days before cooking. This will at least triple their vitamin content.

Gliondrach

I knew that my baked beans on toast feasts were a good idea.

Thanks for the tip, but I usually used canned. Too lazy to cook beans, except for lentils since they are quick cookers.

Baked beans+brown rice+flax oil=yummy nutritious combo!

Default Beans, beans, the magickal fruit....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Anyway, I was hoping we could start a thread with everyone's favorite bean uses/recipes.
    I have an inordinate fondness for beans. I could eat them at every single meal. I love baked beans, Dhal, curried chickpeas, hummus, bean soup, chili. I just love beans, the texture, the flavor, they thrill me to no end.
    I would love to hear everyone's fave ways with beans!
    My new fave is Tortilla soup. Use all vegan ingredients.
    1 can tomatoes
    1 can corn(or frozen)
    1/2 package black beans soaked
    cumin, chili pwd., coriander, garlic, onion-to taste
    1/2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa-gives body, color, richness, ect.
    enough water to cover or so. simmer gently 2 hours, then add(if you wanna) 1 small handfull TVP, and a handful crushed tortilla chips. Simmer 20 more minutes. Serve with more tortilla chips crushed on the top.
    I ate the whole batch, over two days. Was wonderful!!
    "Uh, we don't eat meat. It's kind of like a professional courtesy." -Maggie, Home on the Range

Default Re: Beans, beans, the magickal fruit....

Beans! My favorite. I am a black bean freak.
    Here is one of my favorite soup recipes. It is very easy to make.

Black bean soup

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    3 or 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    4 1-pound cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
    Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
    4 cups water

Optional toppings: Celantro chopped, tomatoes chopped, soy yogurt.

1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Saute the onions over moderate heat until translucent, 3 or 4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until the onion is lightly golden, another 3 or 4 minutes.
    2. Add the remaining ingredients, except the toppings, along with the water, and bring to a simmer. 3. Mash some of the beans with a potato-masher, just enough to thicken the liquid base of the soup. Cover and simmer gently but steadily for 10 minutes.

I also have a good red bean and rice recipe but i will have to dig it up.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Did you know that you can save a lot of money (and packaging) by buying dried beans? I have found the best way to prepare them is to soak them at least 24 hours, drain them and then freeze them. Once defrosted they cook much easier. To get really soft beans, do this, cook them and then re freeze them.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Beans! My favorite comfort food as a child. This recipe is very quick and easy. You can use canned beans if you want but I always seem to have some in the freezer to use up.

Tortilla Stack

4 corn tortillas
    about a cup of refried beans
    shredded vegan cheese of choice (or make your own 'cheez' sauce)

Lay one tortilla in heat proof dish and spread with 1/3 of the beans and top with another tortilla. Continue speading and layering beans and tortillas ending with a tortilla. Sprinkle with shredded cheese or 'cheez' sauce and either micro wave or heat in oven until warmed through.

Serve with sides of extra 'cheez', salsa, chopped green onions, guacamole, 'sour cream', chopped tomatoes, chopped black olives or whatever else your heart desires. Serves one very generously. Children seem to prefer to 'decorate' their own or I would top it off before serving instead of serving the toppings on the side.

By the way the chocolate powder in the soup is such a great idea! I love moles so this would really go over well in this house.