Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: The Big Bean Thread

Default Re: Bulghur and bean balls

Aha! That sounds like a good idea! Thanks!

Default Re: Rice & Beans

I love rice and black-eyed peas combined, which we call hopping john. I usually dice an onion and include that with the beans when I cook them. Otherwise I just add salt and pepper to taste. When both the beans and rice are fully cooked, I mix them and steam the mixture in a colander or mesh strainer over a boiling pot of water. The lid of the pot goes on top of the beans and rice to keep the steam mostly inside. After 10 or 15 minutes of steaming, the mixture is piping hot and fluffy, not soggy. It's delicious!

I just had brown short grain rice with aduki beans and steamed mushrooms, chard, random greens i got from the garden, and a tomato, with dill tamari and olive oil. sooooo tasty and satisfying especially for a dinner of whats left in the kitchen (theyre always the best dinners!)

Default broad bean and green pea casserole

Has anyone tried this recipe?

A pound of broad beans, podded
    A pound of peas, podded
    A large onion
    A good dollop of margerine
    Cook them all together with water to just cover for around 20 minutes; add thyme and a pinch of cayenne pepper and a little salt five minutes from the end of cooking
    Meanwhile, make up a thick vegan 'cheese' sauce, thin it with some of the vegetable water.
    Either put the veg in a casserole dish and pour the sauce over the top, brown in a hot oven or simply serve the veg with the sauce poured over the top, if you can't wait.

Serve with your favourite accompaniment: we had saffron rice and a salad or carrot, radish and lettuce.

A really simple, high-protein dish and so more-ish. The beans, peas, onion, thyme and salad were all fresh-picked, vegan-organic, from our garden, which gives a double bonus!
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

BlackCats

Default Re: broad bean and green pea casserole

I haven't tried it but it sounds delicious!

It was. I was impressed by the way the three main flavours - peas, bbs and thyme - worked so well together.

Fresh bbs and frozen are not the same animals!
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

You're right - I thought I hated broad beans but it turns out they're much nicer than I thought when they're fresh and home grown. I did a broad bean, pea, onion and potato curry last week

Sounds great! The texture and flavour of that particular combination of veg with a tad (not too much) of spice is one of life's great 'missing out ons' for the vast majority.

Each mouthful of the casserole, it was a shame to have to swallow it!

And then people say, "What do you eat?" !!!!

Yep.

I'm actually disappointed that I don't have any broad beans in my veggie box this week. I could have made your casserole, or another curry. Ah well, there's always next week.

Here's something i put together last night, and i think it's quite tasty. I was inspired by Jamaican Rice & Beans i had at a place in North Vancouver, and then i went a little off track, and made something completely different.

Canola or Olive oil
    2 cloves of garlic, chopped
    1/2 red onion, finely chopped
    1 1/2 cups of brown rice (uncooked)
    1 cup black beans (soaked, but if you use from a can, wash thoroughly)
    2 cups of vegetable stock (i used vegan vegetable stock cubes)
    1 can of peeled tomatos, or 2 cups of fresh, chopped tomatos
    1 pinch of cayenne pepper
    1 pinch of paprika
    1 pinch of ground allspice
    1 pinch of salt (only to taste)

In a medium sized pot, put enough oil to cover the bottom of the pot and sautee your garlic and red onion until the onion loses some of it's colour. Add brown rice, and stir until all the grains are covered in the oil (add more oil if you need to, but not too much). Once rice is completely coated, add your black beans and stir. Then add the 2 cups of vegetable stock and bring to a boil.

Once you've brought your mix to a boil, add in your spices and stir. Then add in the tomatos, and salt if you so desire (this recipe contains very little salt, except from the stock, so you could add a little like i did). Stir, and simmer for about 45 to 50 minutes. This will allow the brown rice to cook through, but still give it a TINY amount of crunch to it. Cook longer if you don't like your rice like that.

The result will look like a chili con carne. It's very filling, so i wouldn't try to eat too much. This recipe makes enough for 4 meals for me. It freezes well (i've tried variants of it before) and tastes better as it sits. It's good to warm you up, and it's not a spicy dish. It has a small amount of spice - not enough to make you reach for a glass of water, but enough to just say "hi, i'm here, and i'm DAAAMN tasty!"

i just put some rice on to simmer, add a tin of chopped tomatoes, some spices like cajun mix or paprika and chilli, a can of beans (maybe something extra like sweetcorn or fresh parsley) and voila - a tasty one-pot meal!

I quite like this recipe for Dirty Rice made with black beans, although kidney beans would also work very well (scroll to p. 203)

And this one for Louisiana Red Beans and Rice is on my to-do list.

Default Bean recipes

My husband and I are quite tight on money at the moment. I am pretty much living off of carrots and rice. I bought beans today and now have kidney, pinto, and white navy beans. I have been stir-frying carrots and onions with different spices. I think it would taste okay to add kidney and pinto beans, but I have never tried white navy beans. Do you think they would taste okay in a stir-fry? Have any suggestions for foods I can make with just rice, beans, carrots, onions and multiple spices?

RubyDuby

Default Re: Beans, beans

Is there any way you could alternatelytrade out for other veg? It doesn't sound very well balanced.
    in the meantime how about soup? french onion, vegetable, navy bean, etc.
    you could whizz up the beans and softened veg to make a pate or dip.
    Add chili powder and cumin to beans for taco flavor to top rice with.
    grate the carrot with a bit of onion for a slaw.
    Last edited by RubyDuby; Feb 20th, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I'm not much help here but cooked beans (not those in sauce) - especially the white ones - sprinkled lightly with shoyu and then moderately toasted under the grill are wonderful.

Thanks, Ruby. I actually discovered that I love bean pates on pita bread. I'm trying to find a pita bread recipe that can be made in a mass quantity and refrigerated. So far no luck though. I do love chili, but can't eat it every night. I'll try to make more soups though. I wish produce wasn't as expensive as it is! I would gladly take more veggies.

David, never heard of shoyu, but will look into it. Thanks!

shoyu is the japanese word for soy sauce.

Round here you can get cheap vegetables by going to supermarkets a short while before closing, when a lot of stuff is marked down. Not sure whether that works where you are?

Another thing you could try is sprouting seeds and beans on your windowsill/whatever - at least that way you get something absolutely fresh to eat, even in mid-winter (which seems to be going on a long time this year).

ETA are you really an opera singer? I'm addicted to operas

Quote Fuzz Bunny View Post
    shoyu is the japanese word for soy sauce.
    Oh my goodness. That's embarrassing. But at least now I know!

Quote harpy View Post
    Round here you can get cheap vegetables by going to supermarkets a short while before closing, when a lot of stuff is marked down. Not sure whether that works where you are?

Another thing you could try is sprouting seeds and beans on your windowsill/whatever - at least that way you get something absolutely fresh to eat, even in mid-winter (which seems to be going on a long time this year).

ETA are you really an opera singer? I'm addicted to operas
    Yes! I will add that to my list. I just going to grow tomatoes, lavender, and calendula this year, but I will look into sprouts as well. That will be fantastic.

Yes, I am. I majored in it, actually. I don't do it professionally as I decided I hated the political bullshit that goes on, but I used to sing it a lot. I plan to perform it pretty soon in about a month at a local song event.

What about a curry?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote operasinger2686 View Post
    Oh my goodness. That's embarrassing. But at least now I know!
    Ooops. Sorry. Got used to calling it that because someone once said to me they didn't like soy sauce (the stuff they give you in Chinese restaurants, that is).

I said, "try this shoyu instead" - Clearspring organic - and they loved it!

The best thing about sprouts is that they are ready in just a few days after you start growing them so no patience required. There are a few threads in the forum about what to sprout and how, if you search.

Whatcha going to sing, have you decided yet? I went to Prokofiev's "The Gambler" the other night - that was good but probably not the stuff to sing if you want the audience humming the tunes on the way home (although there are some).

Quote harpy View Post
    The best thing about sprouts is that they are ready in just a few days after you start growing them so no patience required. There are a few threads in the forum about what to sprout and how, if you search.

Whatcha going to sing, have you decided yet? I went to Prokofiev's "The Gambler" the other night - that was good but probably not the stuff to sing if you want the audience humming the tunes on the way home (although there are some).
    Ok, great. That was going to be another question of mine...which to grow?

Vissi d'arte-Puccini's "Tosca" Puccini is my favorite opera composer!

Oooh, I get to post the lentils from another angle!
    ">
    ">
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Whalespace is the sprouted lentil king. Personally I like to sprout mung beans, and also actual seeds such as alfalfa, broccoli and radish.

Vissi d'arte sounds jolly difficult, you'll need plenty of lentils inside you for that

Quote whalespace View Post
    Oooh, I get to post the lentils from another angle!
    ">
    ">
    o.0 What kind of sprout is that? Must do a search on the sprout thing eh?

Whalespace, what lentils are they, please? They look delicious.

Quote harpy View Post
    Whalespace is the sprouted lentil king. Personally I like to sprout mung beans, and also actual seeds such as alfalfa, broccoli and radish.

Vissi d'arte sounds jolly difficult, you'll need plenty of lentils inside you for that
    I haven't tried mung beans yet, but I hear so much about them and I didn't know they would be easy to grow.

Vissi d'arte...so beautiful. haha. The strongest notes feel like they are coming from the depths of your soul. lmao!

I haven't tried mung beans yet, but I hear so much about them and I didn't know they would be easy to grow.

Vissi d'arte...so beautiful. haha. The strongest notes feel like they are coming from the depths of your soul. lmao!
    Piece of cake, OS, like alfalfa. I quite like sprouted mustard seeds too. I've even sprouted wheatgrass but you have to consume the very young shoots otherwise eating them is just hard work. In fact, most sprouts are better the younger they are.

Chick pea sprouts are savagely healthy for you.

Quote DavidT View Post
    Piece of cake, OS, like alfalfa. I quite like sprouted mustard seeds too. I've even sprouted wheatgrass but you have to consume the very young shoots otherwise eating them is just hard work. In fact, most sprouts are better the younger they are.

Chick pea sprouts are savagely healthy for you.
    Oooh, I'm excited! I'm trying to get more into planting/gardening anyway! Excuse my ignorance, but I had to google how to grow sprouts. Let me get this straight. You don't use dirt to grow sprouts? Sigh. I should have paid more attention when Mom grew everything under the planet.

No dirt required, just water and a small amount of stuff - fr'instance, we have dark-coloured translucent trays that stack and we just pour water through the trays twice a day. Easy-chick-peasy.

For cool! This is rocking my world!

Sprouts are deadly!

Whenever I start a new project (no matter how easy) I'm always paranoid that I'll do it wrong. So I went on youtube and found this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-1V4vtV8Yo#

Cracked me up so hard. Wow.

I'm starting with some lentils I bought in a package.

Whenever I start a new project (no matter how easy) I'm always paranoid that I'll do it wrong. So I went on youtube and found this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-1V4vtV8Yo#

Cracked me up so hard. Wow.
    Crikey what a pair of nerds.

Anyways, yep, that's one way of sprouting. Simple, eh?

Quote DavidT View Post
    Crikey what a pair of nerds.

Anyways, yep, that's one way of sprouting. Simple, eh?
    Yup. Now just to find the CHEAPEST place to get seeds/beans for this. I'd ask my buddy that is into gardening but since she works at the co-op, she's going to say the co-op, which is most expensive.

Haha! They ARE nerds. But I'm pretty much to that excitement level about sprouting, but not quite there.

Quote DavidT View Post
    Whalespace, what lentils are they, please? They look delicious.
    The big green ones [whole lentils of course]. Fenugreek seeds are easier to sprout than they are to crush dry. I grow them in with the bigger sprouts.

Take care to avoid getting the pulses jammed into the container as they take on water.

Also... have you tried dry roasting beans ? Very easy, and portable food.

Quote whalespace View Post
    Take care to avoid getting the pulses jammed into the container as they take on water.

Also... have you tried dry roasting beans ? Very easy, and portable food.
    Ok. I'm using a bowl for the lentils. One website said to use a bowl for beans and jar for seeds.

No, haven't tried roasting

I've now sprouted lentils and alfalfa with good results. I tried doing chick peas (garbanzo beans) and they took a little longer to sprout than I've seen suggested on sites about sprouting. They smell a little rotten, perhaps? I've been using a 2-quart class jar with a mesh top to drain the water out. Is it normal for garbanzo beans to smell a little rotten? I'm pretty wary...

I've now sprouted lentils and alfalfa with good results. I tried doing chick peas (garbanzo beans) and they took a little longer to sprout than I've seen suggested on sites about sprouting. They smell a little rotten, perhaps? I've been using a 2-quart class jar with a mesh top to drain the water out. Is it normal for garbanzo beans to smell a little rotten? I'm pretty wary...
    I tasted one. It doesn't taste rotten though. Fresh and earthy. I have hope that they're edible.

They shouldn't smell off. I've just finished some and they have very little smell. Beautiful taste though.

My sprouter is very free draining - just basic stacking trays with thin slots cut in the base of each - are your sprouts staying a bit wet?

Quote DavidT View Post
    They shouldn't smell off. I've just finished some and they have very little smell. Beautiful taste though.

My sprouter is very free draining - just basic stacking trays with thin slots cut in the base of each - are your sprouts staying a bit wet?
    Yes, they are even though I bought one of those wire mesh things from the co-op. I think I have a plastic tray meant for storing plants in, but I am afraid to keep them in there as it is plastic.

Default Bean Dehuller

Hey, I really like Tempé, and make it at home using Chickpeas. But, it takes me a while to dehull all the Chickpeas. I'm looking for a method to automate the process, preferably a cheap one.

I'm looking for one that'll not produce any flour run-off (or at least not a significant amount), and'll dehull the beans. I live in the UK, so something I can get here would be nice.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Bean Dehuller

I have to say, the dehulling is pretty much why I gave up on making tempeh.

I've never made tempeh with chickpeas, but are they harder or easier to dehull then soy beans?
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.