Thread: Racism in the SouthEastern US

Thumbs down Racism in the SouthEastern US

Go to this link and please read the article. It's an injustice that this still happens in America. Please boycott this region of the country until Blacks are given the same rights as Whites. If you are reading this from a different country, please heed the warning and don't travel or give your money to the South Eastern USA. All of you who are reading this and live in the South, don't take my words as a personal attack. I'm sure you realize what's happening in your backyard and are compassionate enough to realize that the Black community is severely oppressed. How can we do something about this? I guess this article doesn't relate to veganism but it's a cause that I am willing to fight for. I'm a White person for the integration of all races.
    http://www.pslweb.org/site/News2?pag...s_iv_ctrl=1261

Default Re: Racism in the SouthEastern US

Hi Bugaboo, I'm from England and heard a radio programme recently which highlighted how prevalant racism still is in the USA. I was appalled to hear that some Baptist churches still have white only cemetaries. It's sometimes difficult to believe we live in the 21st century.

I saw a TV programme many years ago about how the black population suffered at the hands of racists and there was an account of a lynching with thousands of people watching that still haunts me to this day. I won't go in to what was done to the poor man that was lynched, it was just too awful. Sometimes I really despair of what some members of the human race are capable of.

Truly cruel. Unfortunately it's not just limited to the "Deep South." This stuff still happens all around me and I live in "liberal" California. My sister complains of all the East Indians, my mom complains about all the mexicans, and my dad complains of everyone other than whites. I'm so embarrassed! How did I end up with different ideals than all of them? Well I suppose I am just more sensitive to the issues at hand...that explains my veganism, right?

In my experience vegans are more aware of all sorts of issues and tend to be more empathic than most. We have the ability to put ourselves in others shoes, hooves, paws, claws, fins, wings etc We're more likely to want to do something about the evils in the world as we're natural empaths.

Ugh, Bugaboo. I was actually just reading about the Jena 6 a few days ago! I live in an edge neighborhood - on the verge of gentrification. I've lived here for a few years and have seen the hordes of young white kids slowly moving in. There is a blog by them dedicated to our burgeoning nabe. It's so often full of the most barely disguised racism . . . things like: these people are animals, they don't know any better, they shit where they eat, it's better for them that they get pushed out of the area, working to rid the area of spanish. It kills me. And then they complain about not feeling welcome in the area! I read that blog to remind myself what my students face when they leave our school.

So, yeah, racism is alive and well in the good ole US of A.
    Love and muppets,
    Regan

Quote bugaboo View Post
    Please boycott this region of the country until Blacks are given the same rights as Whites. If you are reading this from a different country, please heed the warning and don't travel or give your money to the South Eastern USA.
    How will that affect racism, destroying our tourism? Racism exists in individual minds, not regions. Louisiana's culture is disappearing fast, and tourism is the main thing keeping it alive. In fact, racism in Louisiana abound mostly in smaller town where little travel, change, and intercommunication happen. More travel to many of these areas can only help modernize them. So many of these kids grow up seeing nothing but the attitudes of past generations who grew up when these attitudes were completely acceptable. They just don't interect with ANYBODY that's not like them. Try being gay or vegan in super-conservative christian rice and gravy country. Camoflauge is the standard fashion around here. Destroying tourism won't change that either.

It's all about what you're exposed too. A couple of the people who lived all their lives in my neighborhood don't even know how to talk to me, being the only white person besides the awesome old guy who rides the streets in his motorized wheelchair with the american flags on it. I love him. He has a canopy on it too, for the sun. It's incredibly well-equiped.

Sidenote, if you come to the atchafalaya, go to the Acadiana welcome center to see the hilarious animatronic nutria and alligator.

Unhappy Re: Racism in the SouthEastern US

I believe in boycotting the south too, it's just so freakin stupid how they talk about every single other race when it was just their luck they were born white, nobody gets to choose their race. Being Guatemalan I think sometimes if it would better to live in Guate again but then I remember how sexist it is towards women and then it's choosing between racism and sexism..so either way colored women are screwed. SOOO just deaf ears right? but it still hurts.