Thread: Daily Mail item on veganism - Meet the man who became vegan for a month

Default Daily Mail item on veganism - Meet the man who became vegan for a month

Just seen this online its from today's Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1774

Alison

Default Re: Daily Mail item on veganism

Insoles indeed. Bah.

Still, it may persuade a few die-hard carnivores (pardon the pun) to give it a go.

Good sperm

I was surprised it was as pleasant as it was. I'd usually expect something along the lines of 'Vegans: the new gay loving immigrant-housing terrorists in our streets'

I suppose that's quite positive for the Daily Mail lol

Yes, it's quite a pleasant surprise to find that sort of thing in the Daily Mail. It doesn't seem to mention ethical issues at all but if that's the price you have to pay to get the attention of such a big audience...

sprite1986

I always thought lanolin was derived from wool rather than beeswax..?

I thought it odd that it said dedicated vegans go one step further and not wear leather, wool etc. Er, isn't that all vegans?

Some dedicated vegans even eschew silk.
    That would be <all> vegans, regardless of their dedication.

Wait for the Mail reader backlash. And a small number of "vegan for health reasons for 4 weeks" tw@ts talking loudly outside schools in Chelsea tractors.

bloody daily mail.

I couldn't believe some of the tripe he came out with, even though he'd "researched" veganism.
    Firstly, vegans don't lack vitamin D, after all WE'VE GOT THE BLOODY SUN!!
    Secondly, there aren't places to eat out in London? in LONDON??! christ...
    Thirdly, not enough protein? pah, don't make me laugh.

There are so many more (as you no doubt have seen yourselves), but the most shocking was this priceless gem:
    The doctor was deeply sceptical that four weeks as a vegan would be enough to see a difference and said he wouldn't recommend veganism as the body needed meat to function.

The man needs shooting.

but yeah, the author could have made it much worse than he did, as he saw obvious benefits. I agree with AMF, I was expecting: Labour-voting, Vegan Asylum-seeking lesbian single mother kills our NHS with floods.

Quote sprite1986 View Post
    I always thought lanolin was derived from wool rather than beeswax..?
    yep, it's sheeps' wool fat.

bloody "researchers"

I was reading it online at work and went to the library to have a look - it is a big 2 page item, it is positive for the DM. I was sitting there fuming about the way he said about a lack of sweet foods how many places sell vegan cake in London and i think he needed to go to a tai buffet and 222 to realise just how good vegan food is out there!

But it had a link to the vegan society and said about a lot of alcohol not being vegan - which so many people dont realise (but they could of listed vegan beers)

But for the DM i was thinking it was a positive item

I think a few comments are needed!

Made it sound a little too restrictive (re sweet stuff, alcohol and non boring dishes when out and about) but at least he says at the end he is still not eating meat and eating almost no dairy.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Russ

"Man became vegan for month"

Wow, that's news

BlackCats

It was quite a positive article though. I can't stand the DM usually but at least he mentioned the health benefits and it's good that he said dairy cravings do disappear. I used to think I could never give up cheese and now it makes me feel sick.

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    I was surprised it was as pleasant as it was. I'd usually expect something along the lines of 'Vegans: the new gay loving immigrant-housing terrorists in our streets'
    Lol

On the whole I think it was a pretty positive article.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

I agree. It's easy to forget that for the likes of daily Mail readers, the hard facts would send them running. Everyone needs a different approach. The article covered most bases (albeit briefly, but then again not long enough that the reader switches off) and leaves you with the impression that it was a positive thing.

He admits two weeks on he's almost sticking to eating Vegan. Surely that's a good thing for someone who was an unashamed Omni?

I did too - for the Tory rag that is the Daily Mail at least. It seemed to have a bit of everything in there - including some lesser known facts. I agree there were inaccuracies but I suppose he didn't get much of a chance to experience everything vegan and do proper research. At least it raises awareness - I am encouraged that a middle aged meat-loving man is at least eating much less dairy and no meat from his 4 weeks of being vegan. Think what a difference it would make if everyone did that!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

I really enjoyed the article too and thought it was very positive. When I cast my mind back to the early vegan days I too thought the diet was very restrictive - surely everyone does until they discover all the vegan secrets and it took us ages to find out what alcoholic drinks we coud have - a few months in fact. Remember the early days scrutinising every label in Asda and thinking, "I'm going to starve to death" The days when we thought cheezly was actually food

The only thing that made me furious is that idiot doctor at the BUPA "wellness" centre - I intend to write to BUPA and complain about his idiotic comments about veganism. As I used to be a BUPA ward sister I hope they will take some notice - in fact why don't we all write and complain

We WILL beat ignorance!
    Silent but deadly :p

I know what you're saying Hemlock but if we planned to write an article about it I'm sure we would have done some research (and things are much easier than when I went vegan - probably the same for many of us).
    Some things he writes are misleading - like the no alcohol thing which he revises towards the end as he found out different but I feel he should have revised it straight away in case people didn't read on - something like 'at first I thought it meant no alcohol, but then I discovered . . .'
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Russ

Quote Hemlock View Post
    The days when we thought cheezly was actually food
    What's wrong with cheezly?

Kevster

Have you ever microwaved it?

Quote Russ View Post
    What's wrong with cheezly?
    I'm not wonderfully fond of the stuff. It certainly doesn't taste much like cheese, and I've never met a non-vegan who would carry on eating it after the first bite. But I guess it's down to personal taste. I prefer the Scheese stuff, it's a bit better, although it doesn't really melt

I actually really liked this article. I thought it came across as quite positive. The guy has only been vegan for 1 month, so we can't expect him to know everything already. It took me nearly 2 years before I realised I could still eat cake (I'm making up for those lost years now!!). I think it's a good sign that veganism is being put out in the open and more people are being introduced to it.
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

Russ

I haven't ever microwaved it. But honestly I like it more than I ever liked dairy cheese. Haha .. I think we munched our way through 2-3 cheezly wheels while at Jamies... though I blame Linda who would cut off and eat huge chunks of it, on its own ... !!

Default Re: Daily Mail item on veganism - Meet the man who became vegan for a month

The Daily Mail is just about worthy as toilet paper.

Just.

However, credit where credit is due, that article was on the whole quite positive. There were inaccuracies but that's to be expected when researching 'both' sides of the argument, which a previously avid omnivore would. It's fundamentally good this article and others like it exists, it's certainly doing more good than harm.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Default Re: Daily Mail item on veganism - Meet the man who became vegan for a month

Quote MarkAnthony View Post
    The Daily Mail is just about worthy as toilet paper.
    No it isn't, it leaves black print marks all over your bum
    Silent but deadly :p

Too bad he didn't do his research properly. He missed out on many a pint over the month. There are loads of vegan beers out there. German beers are almost always vegan due to their purity laws.

As for the doctor, well in the old days most doctors recommended smoking as well.

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    It was quite a positive article though. I can't stand the DM usually but at least he mentioned the health benefits and it's good that he said dairy cravings do disappear. I used to think I could never give up cheese and now it makes me feel sick.

I agree. I stopped eating meat about 5 yrs before i went Vegan. I didnt know what a Vegetarian was, I just knew that meat reminded me of Cannibalism (turn a human and an animal inside out - we all look alike). I had already made the connection between my cats and "farm" animals.

So, the afternoon I discovered where dairy and eggs come from (etc.), it took me 0.001 seconds to decide i was never going to contribute to that again. But, with that decision, it became clear that i couldnt eat cheeze and chocolate (or so I thought - thank god for home recipes, Tropicana & Dark Chocolate ) and i had a momentary second thought.

The reality to dairy & egg production was so appaling that there was no way my taste buds would be more important than my integrity. And very surprisingly, after a few months I realised that i found dairy to be nauseatingly fatty, greasy, heavy & sour. So, cheer up lacto's, it gets much easier and better lol I am now celebrating my 9th year, and I'm still very happy about it.
    Quote TheStylishVegan View Post
    As for the doctor, well in the old days most doctors recommended smoking as well.

lol true true. It is my understanding that a General Doctors' Education specializes more in diseases though, and how to heal them. Although incredibly needed they dont focuz much on the upper levels of health that one could attain.
    Quote RachelJune View Post
    I think it's a good sign that veganism is being put out in the open and more people are being introduced to it.

Quote Holly78 View Post
    I am encouraged that a middle aged meat-loving man is at least eating much less dairy and no meat from his 4 weeks of being vegan. Think what a difference it would make if everyone did that!

Quote aubergine View Post
    He admits two weeks on he's almost sticking to eating Vegan. Surely that's a good thing for someone who was an unashamed Omni?

I couldnt agree more. The article could have gone south, as many of us are aware. Although he focused more on the health benefits than I would have prefered (because Vegan implies a moral concern for the animals - if you have other reasons, great ) - he is bringing it out into the open.
    Last edited by BlueMonarch; Aug 16th, 2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typo! ..well, a significant one! ;)
    "Stand your ground this is what we are fighting for.." -VNV

Russ

Quote TheStylishVegan View Post
    Good point! I have made a mental note to bring this up in conversation with uninformed omnis.