Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Animals Like Vegans Better?

Question Animals Like Vegans Better?

Greetings to all.

I feel very awkward jumping in the middle of things but I have a pressing question that just won't go away. Some of you have been vegans a lot longer than I have and I'm hoping your experience could lead me in the right direction.

I became a vegan 3 years ago for health purposes. I was sick and nothing could help, no one knew why, so I tossed anything I could find animal related out of my life and diet. Been peachy ever since.

Weird side effect I did not expect: (please don't laugh)

Animals- they're in my yard, around my house, they wander up to me

I'm not Noah or Snow White or anything- and I don't have a problem with this- I adore animals, I always have- but occurrences have peaked my attention.

Last weekend when I worked in the yard, it was birds. They were everywhere, following me around and I got incredibly close to many of them. It was insane but I just figured they were probably used to being close to people. I got to thinking...I have a small possum that lives in my yard. He wanders up onto the porch occasionally and looks over like 'Yo. Wazzup.' and shuffles off without a care in the world. The neighbor's cat? The owner is always going up and down the block calling for this cat. Where is it? On my porch. (Or in my tree hiding from her- but looking at the woman, I would too.) Where do the neighbor dogs come to play and sniff and nap in grass? Here. In my yard. Sunday there was even some scoopbilled crane sleeping under the palm tree in my backyard. (I live right next to the ocean...) Right when I sat down to write this, another big flock of birds landed in my tree next to the house. They are in no one else's yard. And even when I wandered out to take a close look at them they didn't flinch.

I've just noticed that when I'm out and about- an animal finds ME. I'd think nothing of it but their utter willingness to approach or at least get incredibly close is well, unnerving. I'm not discouraging it, it's just new to me.

The only thing I could think is maybe I don't stink of meat anymore? lol
    Is this kind of common or has anyone else had it happen? I know animals have that special sense that tells them when storms and earthquakes are coming and I totally trust them more than my human counterparts- but could it be animals can really tell if you're not a meat eater?

Thanks ahead of time for any input. It's possible I'm totally off my rocker. If so, that's fine. I actually enjoy the company. I guess I'll be that crazy old lady on the corner with animals in the yard.
    Last edited by seasideD; Aug 1st, 2007 at 01:35 AM. Reason: misspell

Default Re: Animals Like Vegans Better?

I have no idea why, maybe empathy travels well but it's been the same for me. To be honest they used to like me when I was an omni so I'm probably no use at all here. Sorry.

I think animals are drawn to some vegans more than omnis, in many cases, because vegans often have a more sensitive and welcoming approach to animals. Just a theory. I have noticed animals are more attracted to me as a vegan, but sometimes, this can frightening, because I find bees really like me now that I smell sweeter.

Dogs really like me. If I'm walking down the road, and a dog is on the other side with their human, the dog will try to his/her best to come to me to sniff me. Or if I pet a dog, all he/she will want to do is smell my fingers. I can't even get a chance to pet the doggie, that's how much they sniff at me.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Deers can smell meateaters. I know that because a hunter told me that him and some of his friends go veggie a couple of weeks before a big hunt. One would think that if deers have this ability, theres no reason why other animals wouldn't. I hope the animals see me as a harmless herbivore
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

sugarmouse

Its one of the reasons i went veggie, I used to spend a lot of time with cows and I wanted them to feel at peace with me. I think they can tell a predator.

It makes perfect sense when you consider our compassionate nature and the fact that we wouldn't smell dangerous to them. I love them. They love me too - I love that.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

I hadn't really thought about it before, but it kinda makes sense...that said I'm sure every cat I've ever had, god love 'em, would bring me down if they could...meat eating demons in fluffy coats they are and they couldn't care less about my veggie stance!

My kitty also keeps a vegan diet ... but she's not picky about food, and seems to love the vegan kibble I feed her.

Whenever I have stuffed olives around she goes nutty until I give her one ... I think my cat is just a goofy as I am.

It makes perfect sense to me... there could be various valid reasons for it, but either way i believe it!

Its a common fact dogs can smell fear, so maybe as vegans we do smell different. Whether its to do with our diet or just our attitude, they can probably smell it. I agree with Vanilla Bean .

At a BBQ the other week, a little sparrow flew into a window and was left rather dazed. I held it in my lap and covered it slightly with my hands to protect it from the wind and the noise of the music and my mates (i've heard darkness makes birds calmer?) and it seemed to be really calm and happy to rest and recover on me. It clung onto my finger, and it only seemed unhappy when anyone else went near it. Then all of a sudden, when no one was looking, it flew off into a tree ! I felt so happy that it was ok, and im 100% positive it knew i would protect it. Heres the lil fella shortly before he flew off:

and theres nothing wrong with you being that crazy old lady on the corner with animals in the yard!!! heheh!

i think thats a pretty good thing to be

sprite1986

Awww thats so cool Sarah!

I've found the same thing too! I can walk really close to any sort of bird and they don't seem at all worried, and they don't move away, whereas when other people walk past birds, they fly away. I've also had blackbirds hopping down a wall after me before, and lambs chasing after me, but I think that was just because they were playful. I've only noticed this with typically timid prey animals. I honestly believe its because we smell like herbivores.

Quote Otter_ View Post
    Whenever I have stuffed olives around she goes nutty until I give her one ... I think my cat is just a goofy as I am.
    Lol, one of mine is rather partial to kale, cabbage and salad leaves....she pinches them off the plate if I don't give her some of her own!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

I think they can smell that you don't smell of murder. There were these rare breed cows at a farm sanctuary thing I went to last year and me and my partner were both vegan. We stroked them and fed them and talked to them. As soon as the omnis came over (could tell...they had just eaten sandwichs) they litterally fled to the other side of the field. My gf at the time kinda mumbled (but the omnis heard) that cows didn't like people who eat them...funny that hehe!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Russ

Well, I got chased by horses once through a field at night, I don't know if that counts for anything

Quote ~*Sarah*~ View Post
    and theres nothing wrong with you being that crazy old lady on the corner with animals in the yard!!! heheh!

i think thats a pretty good thing to be
    I couldn't agree more! I could see myself becoming that way later in life.

I got stung by bees 7 times throughout my life---all of those times were during my pre-vegan days. Not only have I not gotten stung since being vegan, but I also overcame my melissaphobia ("fear of bees"). As there is not a common speaking language for all species, I would not be surprised at all if non-human species can sense feelings such as empathy. Now whenever I comfort/interact with other animals, I feel that I am someone they can trust as I am vegan.

Sarah well done for helping that poor lil bird. That piccy is so cute but you shouldn't have cut your head off it. We want to see your pretty face!
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

I think that animals are the smartest creatures of all!

Me and my boyfriend were watching his aunts dog once (a very skidish dog) and my boyfriend went to the house let him out to go to the restroom and the dog ran away. He spent such a long time searching for him and everytime he saw him the dog would dart away. I came home about an hour and a half later and the dog ran right up to me. Really it is the same with all the dogs....i try to convince my bf that maybe they feel that he will eat them but he doesn't believe me...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote Russ View Post
    Well, I got chased by horses once through a field at night, I don't know if that counts for anything
    Spooky.
    That's just them having fun/competing with each other to get to any potential food you may be carrying I expect Russ.

Quote missbettie View Post
    I think that animals are the smartest creatures of all!

Me and my boyfriend were watching his aunts dog once (a very skidish dog) and my boyfriend went to the house let him out to go to the restroom and the dog ran away. He spent such a long time searching for him and everytime he saw him the dog would dart away. I came home about an hour and a half later and the dog ran right up to me. Really it is the same with all the dogs....i try to convince my bf that maybe they feel that he will eat them but he doesn't believe me...
    Perhaps the dog is wary of men too for whatever reason.
    LOL at let him out to go to the restroom.
    Sorry, I couldn't help but think that if the dog had actually had its own restroom then it wouldn't have escaped..
    We don't use "restroom" or "bathroom" as euphemisms for toilet here for some reason.

sugarmouse

I love that pic sarah..what a sweet little bird
    I make a point though, of not caressing farm animals (cows/sheep) when I get the chance, I do not want to give them false hope that humans are nice...

bouncybouncy

Quote Russ View Post
    What were you doing Russ?! Horses, a field, at night: It's not looking good.

One thing that could explain the feeling that animals like you better is that when you're vegan you're so much more *aware* of the natural world around you because you're so determined not to destroy it. I've always noticed lots of spiders and bugs because I so often try to put them out of harms way.

By-the-by, there was a green stick insect in my room a week or so ago. On a brilliant white ceiling. I just thought: all that evolutionary effort for you to blend in with, well, green stick-y things, and you choose to wander around on something flat and white. Silly Billy. He must have found his way out by himself...

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    Perhaps the dog is wary of men too for whatever reason.
    LOL at let him out to go to the restroom.
    Sorry, I couldn't help but think that if the dog had actually had its own restroom then it wouldn't have escaped..
    We don't use "restroom" or "bathroom" as euphemisms for toilet here for some reason.
    the thing is he has never had to have a reason to be scared of people its just his personality.

ya us americans with our funny euphemisms....
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

OMG Sarah, that's the most amazing photo -
    Silent but deadly :p

Sarah thank you for posting such a lovely image................that tiny little bird resting happily in your hand, you must feel very privileged!

Russ

Quote SonOfSylvanus View Post
    What were you doing Russ?! Horses, a field, at night: It's not looking good.
    !!!

What I was doing is of no importance ... in fact maybe it's best we forget the whole thing

sprite1986

Quote sugarmouse View Post

I make a point though, of not caressing farm animals (cows/sheep) when I get the chance, I do not want to give them false hope that humans are nice...

Hmmm, I dunno. That statement made me feel something but i'm not sure if its because I'm sad for the animals fate, or thats its morbid, or...I really dunno. Haha. But i'd rather they didnt learn to fear humans, for that would only add to their stress when they're at the slaughterhouse. Afterall if a human betrays their trust by killing them,.. thats the end for them. But if they live in fear of humans all throughout their life, that final moment for them will be even more terrifying.

I hope that made sense.

sugarmouse

Quote sprite1986 View Post
    Hmmm, I dunno. That statement made me feel something but i'm not sure if its because I'm sad for the animals fate, or thats its morbid, or...I really dunno. Haha. But i'd rather they didnt learn to fear humans, for that would only add to their stress when they're at the slaughterhouse. Afterall if a human betrays their trust by killing them,.. thats the end for them. But if they live in fear of humans all throughout their life, that final moment for them will be even more terrifying.

I hope that made sense.
    Yes, it totally makes sense I can see your side completely, you are right..if they can have those moments of lovein their life then I guess it is all the better despite their fate... I guess I would just rather not be the one giving the love, I kind of feel I betray them if I do.. but I think it is just me, ad I appreciate others being kind... I hope that made sense!

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    Sarah well done for helping that poor lil bird. That piccy is so cute but you shouldn't have cut your head off it. We want to see your pretty face!
    hehe thanx! i think my mate taking the photo couldnt fit all of me in hehe! dodgy chest shot instead lol!!!

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    I love that pic sarah..what a sweet little bird
    i know what you mean... sometimes when friendly kittys come up to me in the street i feel really guilty for stroking them cause i dont want to encourage them to go up to people who might be bad. i shudder at the thought of the evil kids these days who get pleasure out of hurting animals

sugarmouse

I remember once hearing that whales would swim up to boats to say their hellos to groups of friendly holiday makers...and whale poachers got wind of this and it made their life easier as the whales would swim up to their boats

Wow that picture of you with the bird is really lovely, Sarah.

boatsteem1

I'm not so sure - I've been bitten by a tiger and clawed by a wolf :P They were both friendly, though

i was thinking about this the other day. I'm friends with all my neighbourhood cats. even when i was omni i could make friends with a cat very easily, even a pretty unsociable cat. but since becomming vegan other animals seem to follow me about, or at least not panic as much when they see me. Is this because they know i don't want to eat them or because i am now more aware of them?

Weird side effect I did not expect: (please don't laugh)

Animals- they're in my yard, around my house, they wander up to me

I'm not Noah or Snow White or anything- and I don't have a problem with this- I adore animals, I always have- but occurrences have peaked my attention.
    This, and many of the other anecdotes mentioned in following posts, could merely be an artifact of confirmation bias. Confirmation bias basically amounts to having a preconceived idea and then noting all the times this idea plays out but ignoring the times it doesn't.

To give a really good example, you can ask people who work in hospitals if they are busier during a full moon. A lot of people feel the moon exhibits some (unexplained) force upon humans, and so there are more accidents. The hospital staff will confirm that yes, they get more patients during full moons. But then you do a controlled study, and find that, in fact, there is no statistical influx of people during a full moon.

Or to put it more generally, confirmation bias in a theory would be, "My theory is always right except when it isn't."

So before you even talk about possible mechanisms for why animals would be attracted toward us vegans, you would need to confirm that such a phenomenon exists.

I do find the sense of smell explanations interesting, though the hunter anecdote sounds a lot like folklore. Somehow I doubt that the mere smell of meat on the breath would play as much a role as signature scents. This is something that you could test in a controlled way, and maybe a vegan researcher interested in animal behavior will take this up one day.

Quote Old Wolf View Post
    To give a really good example, you can ask people who work in hospitals if they are busier during a full moon. A lot of people feel the moon exhibits some (unexplained) force upon humans, and so there are more accidents. The hospital staff will confirm that yes, they get more patients during full moons. But then you do a controlled study, and find that, in fact, there is no statistical influx of people during a full moon.
    This, in my home town, contradicts this particular example somewhat.

Not very scientific but while camping as a teen, I was told that I smelled like a horse; my friends, however, without bathing for a week, smelled like dogs.
    I think we vegans just smell tastier to cats. Good thing we don't breed them to the size of Great Danes!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

trudatman

Quote ~*Sarah*~ View Post

wait... what were we talking about?

Mahk

Whether or not full moons have any influence on men's behavior.

Hmmm. I have lots of pets (rabbits, dogs, guinea pigs, cat, bird, all rescued) and they all seem to like me very much. But dogs in general DO NOT like me. I have been bitten 5 TIMES by 5 different dogs. All random attacks where a dog got away from its owner, chased me down, and attacked me!! 5 times is quite high for something like this. Fortunately, my own dogs love me but I can't say the same for the rest of the dog population. It's so wierd...And, no, I'm NOT a werewolf!

hmmmm, the tasty hypothesis again.... or maybe they smelled the other animals on you?

Very sorry to hear of your being attacked; how frightening, I would be scarred for life.

A school pal of mine who was rather petite never showed dogs that she was intimidated and actually barked back at them if they persisted. (I am a coward).
    Like they say in Oz: never run from a Dingo because they will then treat you as prey.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

littlemiss

Interesting.... I have never liked the taste of meat and always respected animals even when I was little. Even before I was vegan but veggie I was told by people that I gave off a calming vibe, (Pets that "are unfriendly" are fine with me) especially by dog owners and I don't particularly trust dogs myself. I've only been stung by a bee once, it was a misunderstanding as I trapped it in my hand on a door handle. Also wasps etc fly near me and i usually let them land on my hand, after a minute they just fly away. Others find that fascinating.
    I'd never put it down to smell, maybe its the fact we repect and don't fear animals?
    One of my cats will eat anything I eat. She loves houmous, muffins, crisps, meat alternative stuff.

"I've only been stung by a bee once, it was a misunderstanding as I trapped it in my hand on a door handle."

thats happened to me!!! i went to close the door and screamed in pain lol! a silly wasp had been on the handle. owch! but they dont bother me otherwise

littlemiss

Silly bees and wasps! Then my bosses friend didn't believe because I didn't "look" like I was in agony so we had to go out to see whether there was a dead bee outside which made me feel guilty!!

I dont know about animals liking vegans better, but do all vegans necessarily like animals.

I dont. I do my best to stay away from them - horrible things.

I live in the city, so the only ones I tend to have any interaction with are domestic 'pets': animals that people imprison in their homes.

Why anyone would want an animal in their home is beyond me. We used to have cats in our house when I was younger, but I wouldn't have one in my own home now. With 'pets' in the house it just never seems clean and they are always round your feet waiting for you to feed them meat, or bringing in creatures that they have killed from the garden. And then there is the vet bills and who looks after them if you are not at home.

Many of the 'vegans' I have known insist on filling their homes with animals usually cats or rats and pretend to be such animal lovers, then leave them for a week while they go to some mother earth festival and return to a house full of dead birds and cat shit. Why is it that for some being a vegan means living in a house full of animal shit?

Some people seem to have the impression that you can just leave cats and that they will be fine. That wasn't my experience they seem to like human company and need a lot of stroking and other attention.

Stroking - yuk. Having to touch their sweaty dirty coats.

And the way dogs pound around panting and watch you eating and the guilt people should feel if they don't 'walk' them enough.

Most if not all the people I know who have animals in their homes shouldn't.

Why is it that people who claim to be animal lovers eat them - Do they mean they love animals so much they just have to have them on their plate. I dont 'like' animals and I certainly don't want a dead ones cooked flesh on my dinner plate.

I cant see any reason why people need to eat animals or use any other animal products. There is just simply no need for it. The 'economic demand' for the products that can be made from killing animals just results in more of them. Farm animals are even more horrid than domestic 'pets'. Sheep eyes are one of the most scarey things I have ever seen and I don't like walking up a hill to be faced by a herd of the ugly things.

Animals should be left to prosper in their 'natural environment' without interference from people - especially me, being a city boy. If they were left alone I would never have to come across one.

I quite like the romance of the golden eagle living a solitary existence in heights of the Alps or a group of Gorillas living peaceably in the forests, but that is just a construction of the consciousness of stupid animal loving romanticists - even if despite myself my emotions do fall for it now and again.

But, in answer to the question: Animals like vegans better? I wouldn't know. I've been vegan for 10 years and rarely been near one during that time and intend to keep it that way. I'm not always successful though because disgustingly my friends and relatives often have animal flesh on their dinner plates. The only animals that seem to like me are the slugs and snails that inhabit my back yard and the spiders that venture in to my house, after saying that even the spiders don't seem to want to come anywhere near me.

I have A LOT of squirrels in my neighborhood, and since I have become a vegan they follow me around everywhere, specially at the park.

Mosquitoes and other parasites used to be a big problem for me, now they aren't.

But for some reason, many dogs are scared to death of me...not since I became vegan, but they just always have been. Just today at the vets office, a little schnauzer puppy was running around in the lobby, having a good time, playing with people...but when I approached him, his tail went between his legs and he slinked away. On the other hand, some dogs who are scared of everybody and will attack people on sight will let me approach them, pet them, and sometimes pick them up...

But I trust their judgment. I figure they have a good reason for it.

~Owl

I dont think they like me anymore now that i am vegan.

i do beleive animals gravitate towards people and places where they know they will be looked after or to people who will help them.

as a kid and teen we had a tonne of animals show up at the house needing help. some very bad who had been run over or near death with disease.

but yeh loads of animals turned up. i was vege my family ate meat, but they helped animals who arrived needing help. i think animals might know where to show up, or maybe they dont and i was just aware that we helped alot of animals. Maybe animals turn up at other houses , people who don't help them and i never find out about it. gosh i hope not poor things.

Now i live in a city apartment i don't often see animals. Ive also known a amazing man who could talk to horses and it was really amazing, he was not vegan as far as i knew.

Animals still don't like me, and I think that's cause they smell my fear/discomfort.

It is true, however, that I harbor an actual dislike of most squirells akin to my dislike of female mosquitos. I would never dream of physically harming either, or encroaching on their habitat purposefully, but I especially don't get along with either. Those damn squirells know it and they've actually thrown their shelled nuts at me.

Telling them I'm vegan doesn't help.

Regardless, perhaps the OP has a newfound empathy that animals sense. Or it's just coincidence. Regardless, rationalizing it befuddles the point that having so many visitors (ala Snow White) can be quite a gift to enjoy for as long as it lasts, regardless of the reason (unless it's because they think you are carrying food in your pockets, in which case, it would be mean).
    context is everything

Russ

Quote Dennis View Post
    Many of the 'vegans' I have known insist on filling their homes with animals usually cats or rats and pretend to be such animal lovers, then leave them for a week while they go to some mother earth festival and return to a house full of dead birds and cat shit. Why is it that for some being a vegan means living in a house full of animal shit?
    Really. You actually know vegans who do this? Bizarre cause I know and have known dozens of vegans and not one would do that.

The only animals that seem to like me are the slugs and snails that inhabit my back yard and the spiders that venture in to my house, after saying that even the spiders don't seem to want to come anywhere near me.
    That was pretty depressing.