Thread: New Raw Vegan Here

Default New Raw Vegan Here

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to the Vegan World I've been eating meat 26 years of my life and I'm really paying for it health wise. I wish my family had taught me better habits, but now it's up to me to change and that is what I'm doing. I've been 80% Raw Vegan and 20% Vegan, I don't know if I could ever go 100% but I won't doubt it, I just need a little time.

I have to say it's a challenge figuring out what to eat because I don't particularly love vegetables especially uncooked ones so I'm working hard to try and build up my taste buds.

Has anyone not like veggies before becoming a Vegan?

Tan
    Tan M
    Vegan Since 7/19/2007

Default Re: New Raw Vegan Here

hi tan, good to see you here!

i'm at about the same level of raw-ness as you but i've always loved veggies all my life - learning to eat them raw can be a challenge though!

looking forward to your raw contributions

Hi there, welcome to the forum
    I'm 80-20 raw during the week and about 50-50 at weekends.
    I have always loved veggies, even when an omni and felt ill without them. I dunno about you but would love to be 100% raw but it's just too hard when you work full time, we are working on being self employed so maybe then
    Silent but deadly :p

Before i became a vegan, i didn't like vegetables too. But that was because i used to eat all of junk food like burgers and pizzas and cheese.. etc. those were quite strong in taste so comparing them to healthier options, junk food always prevailed in taste! but that's the trap! If you cut loose of the unnatural "food" you discover a whole bunch of healthy and tasty options, even when raw. FOr example, with the help of a blender you can make such incredible smoothies sweet and refreshing! who needs dairy sweets! it's all in the head. Once you quit your unnatural addictions, a whole new and tasty world of meant-to-be-for-us food will be unveiled tou you

i've been thinking of becomming a raw vegan and decided to start today. so far i have loads of fruit and salad and a couple of glasses of wine *cough* but i'm worried i'm not gonna like raw veggies too much, especially the brocoli.
    And I think come winter I will be craving soup again.

Does anyone know a good source of recipes to keep me enthusiastic?! any tips greatly appreciated.

Quote Agatha View Post

Does anyone know a good source of recipes to keep me enthusiastic?! any tips greatly appreciated.
    Here are my favorites:

http://www.rawguru.com/rawfoodrecipes.html

http://www.fromsadtoraw.com/RawRecipes.htm

http://www.shazzie.com/raw/recipes/

Also, check out the recipes in this raw vegan section

Does anyone know a good source of recipes to keep me enthusiastic?! any tips greatly appreciated.[/quote]

I have a great recipe for Raw Moroccan Gazpacho on my blog www.KristensRaw.blogspot.com

I presented this as a demo at Whole Foods in Arizona and the customers went bonkers over it. So fresh, unique and delicious and HEALTHY!

Here is what I say about veggies if you don't like them. Yes, you might like them more if you have some great recipes. Raw has come into its own as a cuisine and what we can do with Raw fruits and vegetables is amazing. I'm a Raw food chef and author of Raw recipe ebooks and I'm continually amazed at how many great and delicious ways we can prepare Raw veggies.

That being said....follow what your body wants. Most people love fruit (sweet and non-sweet) - and remember anything with a seed is fruit (cucumbers, bell peppers, zucchini, etc). If you're not crazy about plain Raw veggies (carrots, broccoli, beets, etc), then stick to what you like and in the meatime, get your hands on some great Raw recipes with veggies you wouldn't typically eat and see if that helps

Cheers!
    Kristen

[/quote]That being said....follow what your body wants.[/quote]

I think this is the key to EVERYTHING!

But(t) anyway....I spend ages going through the Fruit and Veg Isles (exotic location!). Where I once would think "What is the most economical? What would make the 'best' meal? What has the most of this vitamin or that?"....now I just look at them....maybe have a snniiiiiiiifffff.....and then I listen to see what I want.

My son reaches for spring onions and lemons most passionately and I go for rocket/aragula. I think we all have very different nutritional requirements and we would be unwise to follow any 'formula' regarding what we 'should' eat. It takes several weeks (or longer?) for tastebuds to adjust. Naturally if one is accustomed to rich foods then some veggies will seem quite bland in comparison. Except rocket....ooooh.....I LOVE rocket....
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

I love what you just wrote, Heartsease. Right on!

Quote Kristen's Raw View Post
    I love what you just wrote, Heartsease. Right on!

Why, thankies Kristen.

Your blogspot is pretty cool. I 'specially like your quote of the day:

'Life is'nt about finding yourself - Life is about creating yourself' - author unknown

Now, that is 'right on'!

(Ooops....did I float off-topic? Sorry)
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato